The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

350$ and ~3000 pcs according to someone on instagram.

Jesus... Could this be the most expensive Ideas set to date?

On 6/19/2020 at 2:14 AM, BrickJohn said:

I found some specs on Amazon: 

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lMTzw8xye5gJ:https://www.amazon.de/LEGO-21323-tbd-Ideas-2020-3-Produkttitel-nachgereicht/dp/B0843D6L35+&cd=14&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl

Artikelgewicht 4,76 Kg
Verpackungsabmessungen 59,8 x 39,7 x 33,8 cm
Vom Hersteller empfohlenes Alter: Ab 18 Jahren
Modellnummer 21323
Modell 21323
Anzahl Teile 3662
Zusammenbau nötig Ja
Batterien notwendig Nein
Batterien inbegriffen Nein
Material Kunststoff
Fernsteuerung enthalten

Nein

Referring back to this post we could be looking at 3662 pieces, if the information is accurate.

Edited by BrickBuilderX

Can't wait for the reveal, if only to see how it's supposed to be "playable". The price is steep, almost a double of what Pirates and Tree House cost, which in itself is absolutely crazy and would've been impossible 3-4 years ago. It better be worth it

I'm really nervous about the playability using a phone app. That would completely destroy my hype/interest in getting the set.

Well, if it needs an app to play, at least that will make it easy to cross off my to-buy list. I can pay almost a year's worth of the bill for my flip phone with that kinda scratch.

17 hours ago, Modal said:

I'm really nervous about the playability using a phone app. That would completely destroy my hype/interest in getting the set.

I hear you.  If it requires an app, I'm out.  My Lego hoppy is intended to get me a break from electronics and software - integrating that crap into builds takes all the joy out of it for me and just reminds me of all the work deadlines I'm missing. 

I swore the full reveal would be this morning based on the NES teaser last week. Is there a certain time they usually post about Idea sets?

15 minutes ago, karmajay said:

If it does not use an app how is expected to sound like a piano? 

It’s not expected to make a sound. The original concept doesn’t. 

I would rather have a good looking model of a piano that doesn’t make sound than the other way around. Don’t need a corny app that uses bad piano samples

Taking into account the teaser most likely it will sound, the question is how well this feature will be integrated. I know only 2 ways - application and sound bricks. For me the second option is more preferable. But even if they wouldn't change a single brick compared to original submission - I would probably buy it.  

Edited by adwind

There are now 20 projects - er, product ideas - in the Second 2020 LEGO Ideas Review batch, and it still has about six weeks to go before it closes. At this rate it should have no problem surpassing the record set by the previous batch.

The Hocus Pocus project would be a great set for Halloween 2021

(If we survive 2020 that is)

On 7/21/2020 at 4:21 PM, ShaydDeGrai said:

I hear you.  If it requires an app, I'm out.  My Lego hoppy is intended to get me a break from electronics and software - integrating that crap into builds takes all the joy out of it for me and just reminds me of all the work deadlines I'm missing. 

It has been revealed. It makes noise! ... via the app :-)

LEGO Grand Piano now holds the title of the highest priced ideas set and highest piece count for an ideas set. I just love how Ideas has grown so much over the year. Love it or Hate it but Ideas will always have a special place in my heart and my wallet. 

It's a thing of beauty, I think that's hard to deny for anyone! The price is not for my wallet, and I will leave the judging of the functionality to others. The 18+ box art though.... I get why... but I dislike it, at least the lower part with the bricks. I hope they phase out that styling rather sooner than later, even if that's a minor thing compared to the contents of the set.

I love it, now when I saw it sounding via app doesn't bother me. It's great!

Despite the size and piece count of the set, it still looks small and chonky to me. Is it the proportions? The amount of keys? 

It's sleek and looks like a piano, so it succeeds at its job. It even plays music! But I think we'll need to see reviews to understand whether people can use it as if it were a real piano. From my understanding of Brickset comments, it plays predetermined tunes, since the Powered Up system cannot detected exactly which key you are pressing - only that a key is being pressed.

It's nice, but not 450CAD nice.

2 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

Despite the size and piece count of the set, it still looks small and chonky to me. Is it the proportions? The amount of keys? 

It's sleek and looks like a piano, so it succeeds at its job. It even plays music! But I think we'll need to see reviews to understand whether people can use it as if it were a real piano. From my understanding of Brickset comments, it plays predetermined tunes, since the Powered Up system cannot detected exactly which key you are pressing - only that a key is being pressed.

It's nice, but not 450CAD nice.

It might work in opposite direction I guess - you press the key in your app and the motor pushes the corresponding key on the model itself 

Edited by adwind

3 minutes ago, Terrasher said:

It's sleek and looks like a piano, so it succeeds at its job. It even plays music!

It doesn't play music. Your phone plays the music.

3 minutes ago, MAB said:

It doesn't play music. Your phone plays the music.

Yes, I know. Reading this set's description feels like reading the fine print on a contract.

I wonder whether MODers will find a way make this a real playable piano. Perhaps using Mindstorms...?

Its BEAUTIFUL! :wub: I dont usually post or comment much, but when it comes to this, I simply have to. :tongue:

As a pianist, this is the perfect combination of two of my passions, and its surreal that TLG actually released a sizeable grand piano. To me, its more than a model, or a playset, or an overpriced smartphone stand haha. Its a physical manifestation of my passion for the piano and its music (other than the actual piano of course :P), and it is a way to explore and experience my passion in a different way. Of course, it being a 3.6k+ piece set also guarantees some form of accuracy and functionality. Love the little details, from the "brand" of the piano printed as Lego, to the "lock" at the front of the piano represented by the gold(?) ignot piece. The other functions (semi-functional hammers, adjustable seat, the opening top lid) are expected of a set this large (and expensive).

Also, absolutely loved the reveal video to the tune of Moonlight. I got chills by watching it, as the music builds and the camera pans out, its beautiful. Its obvious that the people behind this video understands and appreciates music deeply, and its an amazing experience seeing it come to life. The team behind that video deserves a raise :blush:

Is it worth its price tag though? As many have pointed out (and rightfully so), one could buy an electronic keyboard for the price of this set. Personally, it is out of my budget currently (got to start saving more!) but if I had enough disposable income, I would grab it in a heartbeat. I would actually prefer TLG forgoing the powered-up functionality (like they did with the Crocodile Locomotive just a while back), and just giving us a potentially motorise-able grand piano at lower cost. That being said, absolutely LOVE this set in all its glory :laugh:

On the page for the piano, the powered up components shows this -- does anyone know if this is an already existing component? If so, what is it? Thanks!
image.png.d9211ce8c77160ae0e4504594f40a96c.png

16 minutes ago, Omega X said:

Is it worth its price tag though? As many have pointed out (and rightfully so), one could buy an electronic keyboard for the price of this set. Personally, it is out of my budget currently (got to start saving more!) but if I had enough disposable income, I would grab it in a heartbeat. I would actually prefer TLG forgoing the powered-up functionality (like they did with the Crocodile Locomotive just a while back), and just giving us a potentially motorise-able grand piano at lower cost. That being said, absolutely LOVE this set in all its glory :laugh:

I imagine they felt (or lawyers told them) that it had to include the powered up functionality for them to be able to market it as a playable piano.

Got to say that this is a stunningly beautiful set. The mechanism looks fantastic, and I never dreamed they'd be able to make it actually play music. It looks like you can't play your own melodies, and that simply tapping any key will play the next note of the tune, but I think that may have just been an unreasonable expectation on my part. As it is, the set is nothing short of amazing!

11 minutes ago, OneThousand said:

On the page for the piano, the powered up components shows this -- does anyone know if this is an already existing component? If so, what is it? Thanks!

It's a light sensor. Looking at the photos and all the promo material/set descriptions, it looks like when you tap a key on the piano keyboard, it will move a coloured block in front of the sensor, sending a signal via bluetooth to the phone to play the next note of the song.