The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Geez... these are weirdest results yet... Seinfield??  Really?

I'd expected for Home Alone to be rejected as it overlaps with the Winter Village line, unless the WV theme is ending or something

And Typewriter... well, is just a boring idea. 

8 minutes ago, Friscorays said:

motorized

Typewriters of this kind have no motors.
You press a letter and a hammer flips out and slams onto an inklint which prints the image on paper.
The trick is; how many letters can you press at the same time and how many of the hammers can get stuck together:laugh:

we did this as children many times..
I even still have the thing

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

Seinfeld is one of my top 5 shows of all time, so it's disappointing to see so many people on here don't like it or aren't familiar. That said, it is not something I particularly craved as a LEGO set. But I'm sure I will enjoy it. The other two have no interest for me, in the Ideas world I'm mainly waiting to see how the blacksmith turns out.

59 minutes ago, Vorkosigan said:

Seinfeld is one of my top 5 shows of all time, so it's disappointing to see so many people on here don't like it or aren't familiar. That said, it is not something I particularly craved as a LEGO set. But I'm sure I will enjoy it. The other two have no interest for me, in the Ideas world I'm mainly waiting to see how the blacksmith turns out.

It's my most favorite show of all time, so there are more fans. :) 

3 hours ago, Harkonen said:

Who even likes Seinfeld? Friends makes sense but Seinfeld? This is just shame. 

Oh come one, you're talking about one of the most popular sitcoms ever created. 

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2019/09/seinfeld-netflix-streaming-deal

Edited by BrickJohn

You know, fine that pop culture of the west gets their fix, but it'd be nice if the license department at LEGO can now have a proper re-evaluation of anime series, so I can start submitting projects of my favorite shows. :hmpf_bad: 

I do have faith in the designers that they will turn the typewriter from 'good' into 'great' though, and hopefully we get a new set of printed letters and numbers, it's been a while since the last set that offered that. 

I remember many people dismissing the LEGO F.R.I.E.N.D.S set and expected it to flop like the Big Bang set. It’s now one of the best selling 2019 set and still sell out every now and then. Seinfeld might not interest LEGO fans but it will be popular with fans of the show. 

Dang I'll have to give up on an official Futurama Planet Express ship ever being released at this point.

49 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

You know, fine that pop culture of the west gets their fix, but it'd be nice if the license department at LEGO can now have a proper re-evaluation of anime series, so I can start submitting projects of my favorite shows. :hmpf_bad: 

<-Naruto fan hoping that Ichiraku Ramen gets 10,000

As an anime fan, I say do it!

1 hour ago, Exetrius said:

I do have faith in the designers that they will turn the typewriter from 'good' into 'great' though, and hopefully we get a new set of printed letters and numbers, it's been a while since the last set that offered that. 

If they can reproduce the actual typewriter mechanism (push a key on the keyboard, and it causes a hammer to strike the paper), instead of the current design of a crank handle on the side to lift some of the hammers, then I might be interested. But I'm very wary of this one until I see how the Piano turns out. I loved the idea of a playable piano, and the mechanism of an actual piano was cleverly reproduced, but if the piano doesn't make any musical tones, is it really playable? 

Also, one set with 26 different printed designs?? The letters will be a sticker sheet for sure.

4 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Typewriters of this kind have no motors.
You press a letter and a hammer flips out and slams onto an inklint which prints the image on paper.
The trick is; how many letters can you press at the same time and how many of the hammers can get stuck together:laugh:

we did this as children many times..
I even still have the thing

I am old enough to be quite experienced with typewriters.  The model which was approved no longer has motors either.  The question that you asked was what the crank on the right side of the model is for.  The answer is that it moves the type bars and carriage as shown in the video link which I will attach again.  The designer initially motorized those functions and then switched them over to a manual crank mechanism.   The model isn't meant to be a one to one creation of a functioning typewriter; rather it is meant to be a representation of one.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/138645704@N05/48136302128/

@adwind Look what you did, you little jerk! I mean... congratulations! Very excited for the Home Alone set!

Typewriter could be a maybe for me depending on how it's executed.

I like Seinfeld well enough, but that one will probably be a pass unless it ends up being a really good parts pack.

I'm honestly pretty excited for the Seinfeld set but I understand why many people are disappointed with it. I myself didn't care at all for the Friends and Big Bang Theory sets and sitcoms usually aren't a favourite of mine.
I just see this as a fantastic opportunity to get a set from a license that would otherwise never get a full theme, which is also what the Ideas concept is about.

Just now, Elrond said:

I'm honestly pretty excited for the Seinfeld set but I understand why many people are disappointed with it. I myself didn't care at all for the Friends and Big Bang Theory sets and sitcoms usually aren't a favourite of mine.
I just see this as a fantastic opportunity to get a set from a license that would otherwise never get a full theme, which is also what the Ideas concept is about.

Well, it's quite simple. You like Seinfeld, you like the set. You don't like Seinfeld, you don't care about the set. Replace Seinfeld with other series and you're done. 

Just now, BrickJohn said:

Well, it's quite simple. You like Seinfeld, you like the set. You don't like Seinfeld, you don't care about the set. Replace Seinfeld with other series and you're done. 

Obviously but I've seen so many people upset about these results even though it isn't a first at this point. I was more surprised they greenlit BBT.

And some themes are tougher to criticize, like you wouldn't really question the popularity of Harry Potter or Batman.

I think I’m in the minority of really liking the typewriter.  TBH though I don’t know much about them so couldn’t say that it’s right or wrong. 

Also really looking forward to the McCallister’s House set - it looks amazing and I’ve watched the film many, many times.  Congratulations @adwind!

Seinfeld is of no interest to me - I’ve never watched the show and my list of things to watch is so long I probably never will.  As actual shows, I prefer Big Bang Theory and Friends, so unsurprisingly I prefer the sets too.

Anyway, when are these expected to be released considering they haven’t yet caught up with the last review? 

Seinfeld? Another sitcom based diorama? Seriously? This is getting boring. What's next? Two and a half? They definitely should reduce the ratio of IP based sets.
I still don't understand why the aquarium didn't pass, it is an essence of what Ideas should be.
And the typewriter with only four hammers working and keys only for decorative purposes doesn't make much sense. But maybe they will improve it seriously.

Seinfeld I can understand (its one of the most popular sitcoms of all time and its perfect for a LEGO set, I will probably buy one) but I didn't think Home Alone was anywhere near popular enough in 2020 to be a viable product. And that typewriter, how many kids actually know what one is? And for adults who like typewriters, how many would buy a LEGO set instead of just spending the money to buy a real typewriter instead?  (especially given how expensive the LEGO model is likely to cost)

Its possible there were licensing or IP issues that prevented the Futurama set being made (or they plan to release a Futurama set but just not that one)

I dont think the "its not popular enough" line would fly, Futurama is far more popular in 2020 than something like Home Alone...

Very disappointed with the results. I think Bionicle, Ratatuille, and Legend of Zelda should have won, but nope. We had to get a non-functional typewriter, another sitcom set that only appeals to Americans, and the Home Alone House, which is just that... a house.

There was a lot of potential to get some great sets out of this review stage, but out of all the possible choices, we got the most boring ones. 

Edited by Lego David

Seinfeld! I‘m actually thrilled to get that set. One of the best sitcoms ever. And no, not only for Americans. Only for people with good sense of humour. For people that don’t have a sense of humour they added the typewriter. So they can write made-up letters to lego about how everything is stupid and should be made for them and not for other people with other desires! 

1 hour ago, Borex said:

And no, not only for Americans. Only for people with good sense of humour. 

For people with good sense of humor is Monty Python or things like 'Allo 'Allo! or everything written by Rene Goscinny.

41 minutes ago, parsom said:

For people with good sense of humor is Monty Python or things like 'Allo 'Allo! or everything written by Rene Goscinny.

Goscinny - rest in peace, big hero. 
Monthy Python - Classic! 
‘Allo ‘allo! - Ooooh rene. (Not my favorite series. But i liked it when it aired for the first time. )

Considering the brand's family-oriented choices, I wonder if Lego's marketing has noticed the lifestyle of Macaulay Culkin.

Friends, Bing Bang Theory, Seinfeld - all of them American sitcoms. Where are all the rest-of-the-World sitcoms - like Parsom said, English ones like Monty Python or 'Allo, or Fawlty Towers, or The Office (original), or...

I get it, that they dont make sets from non-English sitcoms (German, Spanish/South American, Korean, Norwegian (Fleksnes!), French, etc.) - but do everything have to be American?