The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Can‘t say I saw any of these three coming *huh* Too bad about Ratatouille and the BOTW set, but I‘m nonetheless quite happy with the results, especially the Home Alone set. The prospect of a Macaulay Culkin minifig is pretty surreal :laugh:

Edited by Lego-Freak

Just now, Harkonen said:

Who even likes Seinfeld? Friends makes sense but Seinfeld? This is just shame. 

I unfortunately couldn’t answer that but I’m hoping that LEGO ideas knows what it’s doing. 

2 minutes ago, Brick19_80 said:

another sitcom

If you compare this with BBT than you miss something.
Seinfeld has hardly any international interesses.
It would even be better to release Al Bundy and Co. as set.

Just now, Brick19_80 said:

I unfortunately couldn’t answer that but I’m hoping that LEGO ideas knows what it’s doing. 

At this point I just want to know how they decide which set gets made because these choices are weird af. Bionicle had a chance and now it's gone... Damnit

Just now, JaBaCaDaBra said:

If you compare this with BBT than you miss something.
Seinfeld has hardly any international interesses.
It would even be better to release Al Bundy and Co. as set.

Release a Dinosaurs sitcom set. It would be better THAN Seinfeld... 

Just now, toastergrl said:

but I'm totally struck by how much of a miss Seinfeld is. Is it really that popular worldwide? It has zero cultural impact over here, versus something F.R.I.E.N.D.S. and Big Bang Theory being strong examples of the genre.

I would say Seinfeld is as popular as Friends and both of them more so than Big Bang.. I like to watch it and Home alone, but prefer the non licensed stuff and the typewriter is not for me so not planning on buying any of them..

2 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

I would say Seinfeld is as popular as Friends and both of them more so than Big Bang.. I like to watch it and Home alone, but prefer the non licensed stuff and the typewriter is not for me so not planning on buying any of them..

I can see Friends popular but Seinfeld? REALLY? 

Just now, JaBaCaDaBra said:

We allready have that one.
Its numbered 21316

I meant the puppet one

I don‘t get why people are this upset over the Seinfeld set. Just don‘t buy it if you don‘t like it :shrug_oh_well: I know a lot of people would have preferred something else, but that‘s not really how the Ideas platform works. The amount of sets they choose is arbitrary. Seinfeld didn‘t take the spot of another set; if they decided against it, we would only have two sets now :wink:

Seinfeld is a great show, I will certainly buy the set. The show was huge in Norway in it's heyday, and I will be very surprised if it wasn't in most of western Europe.

I get that younger generations may relate more to other, newer shows though.

Well I was right on the Home Alone. I'm not surprised Bionicle didn't make it. After G2 flopped, LEGO might just be wanting to forget about it. Although since it is their anniversary year, there's a possibility they already had something in the works (there have been rumors Christian Faber is working on something) and this set would then technically be a liability.

As for the typewriter, I just don't think it looks very good.

Seinfeld (at least in the States) was a hugely popular and influential show.

What an absolutely abysmal round of decisions.

The typewriter makes no sense, we already have the piano coming and I seriously doubt this is on most people "must buy" list. Personally I think Seinfeld is awful, but I'm more peeved that this somehow made it, but The Office was shot down what, 3 times? Home Alone makes sense as a set; I'm sure they want to try to work in ways to have "traps" be sprung and whatnot, but personally I really have no interest in a set for this film. (Not to mention this will likely be a pricey one.)

I am hoping that the Planet Express ship was skipped because of the (IMO) superior set coming in the 1st 2020 review. It's disappointing that Legend of Bionicle was axed as that is about the only shot Bionicle will ever have in the Idea's lineup, but honestly with how Lego treats Bionicle I'm not surprised. Ratatouille, while not my favorite Disney property, would have been a fun build in terms of parts at least. Everything else I was very un-interested in for this round.

The only real TV Show/Movie House I'd be really interested in would be Family Guy, but some of that humor is probably not appropriate unless it's a 18+ release, then again, F.r.i.e.n.d.s wasn't a kids show either.

Like sure, it's great there will be another large house set that isn't a Modular, as the 3-in-1 Houses haven't been made in a  while but this would really depend on the size/cost for me, but Blacksmith Shop has priority.

And still for a winter themed house, I would've prefered the Winter Chalet from the same voting round but the existence of the Winter Village line makes sense it was skipped.

Seinfeld was popular here too, at least it was aired for a long time on Comedy Central (Friends and Family Guy still have multiple episodes daily), I just assume it's not on TV right now as streaming services took over the rights.

Edited by TeriXeri

Wow, a lot of folks here are really clueless about just what a huge show Seinfeld was. I’m not a fan myself, but it was a massive hit, and is still a big deal even today - enough that Netflix recently paid “far more than” $500 million for the streaming rights.

Netflix is said to have been particularly aggressive in pursuing “Seinfeld,” which is one of a handful of durable, long-running comedy series that appeal to several generations of viewers. “Seinfeld,” which stars comedian Jerry Seinfeld as himself going through single life in Manhattan with his solipsistic pals, ran from 1989 to 1998 on NBC and ended its original run while still ranking as the No. 1 show in prime time, according to Nielsen.

Even 20 years after “Seinfeld” left NBC, the show’s repeats remain a popular attraction on local TV stations and cable network TBS, and have generated billions of dollars in revenue worldwide.

I can understand being perplexed by the selection on a brand-fit basis, as Seinfeld isn’t really a kids’ show, but in terms of pure popularity it’s one of the biggest American TV shows in history.

Yea I'm surprised people aren't aware of how big Seinfeld was - probably moreso than Friends.

That being said, I'm pretty disappointed with the results. If anything it's because there's going to be almost a full year of Ideas sets that don't interest me :tongue:

Oh well, onto the next review phase!

18 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Wow, a lot of folks here are really clueless about just what a huge show Seinfeld was. I’m not a fan myself, but it was a massive hit, and is still a big deal even today - enough that Netflix recently paid “far more than” $500 million for the streaming rights.

9 minutes ago, Modal said:

Yea I'm surprised people aren't aware of how big Seinfeld was - probably moreso than Friends.

Well, it was indeed a massive hit in the US, and seems to have had a great impact on US pop culture. I can't really speak for the rest of the world, but here in France, it went rather unnoticed!

It aired a while in the nineties on a pay-TV channel, and I'm not sure it was aired again after that. Whereas Friends was very popular, and was aired many times and by many channels until very recently...

Edited by Aurore
typo

Tom Hanks is definitely ecstatic but I'm severely disappointed that Planet Express ship didn't make it.

I will still likely purchase one of each of the sets announced today: typewriter will display nicely with piano, Seinfeld will display nicely with Friends set and I generally can't get enough of the big structure builds.  

I am surprised Seinfeld doesn't seem to be well known in Europe.  In the US, it was a hugely influential sitcom and is, generally speaking, held in higher critical regard than Friends.

Edited by Friscorays

32 minutes ago, VBBN said:

What an absolutely abysmal round of decisions.

The typewriter makes no sense, we already have the piano coming and I seriously doubt this is on most people "must buy" list. Personally I think Seinfeld is awful, but I'm more peeved that this somehow made it, but The Office was shot down what, 3 times? Home Alone makes sense as a set; I'm sure they want to try to work in ways to have "traps" be sprung and whatnot, but personally I really have no interest in a set for this film. (Not to mention this will likely be a pricey one.)

I am hoping that the Planet Express ship was skipped because of the (IMO) superior set coming in the 1st 2020 review. It's disappointing that Legend of Bionicle was axed as that is about the only shot Bionicle will ever have in the Idea's lineup, but honestly with how Lego treats Bionicle I'm not surprised. Ratatouille, while not my favorite Disney property, would have been a fun build in terms of parts at least. Everything else I was very un-interested in for this round.

I'd like to note that in general, the Typewriter, as it stands now before the designer's tinkering, is a very bad set. At least in terms of a replica of a typewriter. It has an odd key set up, it's missing several keys, namely space, tab, shift/a separate key for every uppercase letter, and special characters.

14fe94e0bac864dc0f2fe172bd138625916df81a

Not to mention, it uses Illegal techniques!

I don't doubt that the designer's can alter or correct this, but It seems to me like they gave themselves more work than was necessary.

Edited by ProfSrlojohn

2 minutes ago, Aurore said:

Well, it was indeed a massive hit in the US, and seems to have had a great impact on US pop culture. I can't really speak for the rest of the world, but here in France, it went rather unnoticed!

It aired a while in the nineties on a pay-TV channel, and I'm not sure it was aired again after that. Whereas Friends was very popular, and aired many times and by many channels until very recently...

Sure, but even if it’s popular “only” in the US, given the size of the US that can still mean a lot. Look again at the figures in the article I linked and quoted - Netflix paid over half a billion dollars for the rights to stream the show for five years. There’s a reason for that. They don’t shell out that kind of money for the streaming rights for just any old show...

Of course, that still doesn’t mean it’s a particularly natural brand fit for LEGO... but in a world in which there have been official LEGO products for The Big Bang Theory, The Simpsons, Gremlins, James Bond, Friends, and Stranger Things, a Seinfeld set doesn’t seem as bizarre as it once would have.

1 hour ago, Harkonen said:

At this point I just want to know how they decide which set gets made....

Sam discusses this in broad terms beginning at a minute fifteen in the announcement video.  It is a much more involved process than it would initially seem.

3 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Sure, but even if it’s popular “only” in the US, given the size of the US that can still mean a lot. Look again at the figures in the article I linked and quoted - Netflix paid over half a billion dollars for the rights to stream the show for five years. There’s a reason for that. They don’t shell out that kind of money for the streaming rights for just any old show...

Of course! My point was not about business choices, it's more an answer to the fact that Americans seemed to be surprised that us non-Americans don't know the show as well…
And maybe having it on Netflix (and as LEGO) will enable us to appreciate it too! :classic:

Edited by Aurore
Typo again!

12 minutes ago, Aurore said:

It aired a while in the nineties on a pay-TV channel, and I'm not sure it was aired again after that. Whereas Friends was very popular, and was aired many times and by many channels until very recently...

Well you know us Americans only care about our bubble of a country :laugh:

I am shocked though, I would have thought Seinfeld and Friends overlapped in their audience more, with both being adult friends living together in NYC.

3 minutes ago, ProfSrlojohn said:

I'd like to note that in general, the Typewriter, as it stands now before the designer's tinkering, is a very bad set. It has an odd key set up, it's missing several keys, namely space, tab, shift/a separate key for every uppercase letter, and special characters.

I don't doubt that the designer's can alter or correct this, but It seems to me like they gave themselves more work than was necessary.

I think everybody understands that there will almost always be significant differences between Lego items and the real world objects that they are modeling.  That said, the typewriter instantly is an impressive representation of a real world item even if it is not absolutely photorealistic.  Having every single key would quickly make the thing unnecessarily unwieldy and piece intensive.  Of the three sets announced, the designers give the impression that they are most excited about what they can accomplish with it.

2 minutes ago, Modal said:

I am shocked though, I would have thought Seinfeld and Friends overlapped in their audience more, with both being adult friends living together in NYC.

According to Wikipedia (now I'm curious!), Seinfeld seemed to suffer from a bad French dubbing which probably impacted its popularity in our country...

33 minutes ago, ProfSrlojohn said:

Not an illegal technique. They've used it in modulars in recent years.  

39 minutes ago, ProfSrlojohn said:

I'd like to note that in general, the Typewriter, as it stands now before the designer's tinkering, is a very bad set. At least in terms of a replica of a typewriter. It has an odd key set up, it's missing several keys, namely space, tab, shift/a separate key for every uppercase letter, and special characters.

14fe94e0bac864dc0f2fe172bd138625916df81a

Whats that cranck doing on the right side??

I own the typewriter thant stands model for this one but a can't find the cranck :)