The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

21 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I was thinking that at first , but then watching the Piano, being actually playable, and having 2800 pieces (in the original) + electronics, $350 is very likely.

Downscaling Sesame Street is a lot easier as it's not strictly tied to a mechanical construction like the piano, also no Electronics.

Yeah, but damn $350 for a non-licensed set. They could also make some changes to the design of the piano and make the electronics optional.  

I found some specs on Amazon: 

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lMTzw8xye5gJ:https://www.amazon.de/LEGO-21323-tbd-Ideas-2020-3-Produkttitel-nachgereicht/dp/B0843D6L35+&cd=14&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl

Artikelgewicht 4,76 Kg
Verpackungsabmessungen 59,8 x 39,7 x 33,8 cm
Vom Hersteller empfohlenes Alter: Ab 18 Jahren
Modellnummer 21323
Modell 21323
Anzahl Teile 3662
Zusammenbau nötig Ja
Batterien notwendig Nein
Batterien inbegriffen Nein
Material Kunststoff
Fernsteuerung enthalten

Nein

Edited by BrickJohn

On 6/17/2020 at 8:11 PM, Modal said:

Personally, I wish they would choose less licensed stuff. The best sets are the super creative ones like the tree house and the piano.

A treehouse and a piano are commonplace concepts found in everyday contemporary life, not exactly "super creative" if you ask me. However, they are very well-executed versions of the the concepts they represent. By comparison, I think the Ship in the Bottle or Old Fishing Store are more creative/inspired (by concept) than the Treehouse. In my opinion though, turning an interesting licence into lego form can be just as creative, as long as it is a challenging and inspired design. The Flintstones project is a good example of this. 

12 hours ago, BrickJohn said:

I found some specs on Amazon: 

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:lMTzw8xye5gJ:https://www.amazon.de/LEGO-21323-tbd-Ideas-2020-3-Produkttitel-nachgereicht/dp/B0843D6L35+&cd=14&hl=nl&ct=clnk&gl=nl

Artikelgewicht 4,76 Kg
Verpackungsabmessungen 59,8 x 39,7 x 33,8 cm
Vom Hersteller empfohlenes Alter: Ab 18 Jahren
Modellnummer 21323
Modell 21323
Anzahl Teile 3662
Zusammenbau nötig Ja
Batterien notwendig Nein
Batterien inbegriffen Nein
Material Kunststoff
Fernsteuerung enthalten

Nein

It looks from this that we can expect 21323 to be released on November 1st with 3662 pieces.

I would say this is likely to be the piano with electronics to justify the price.

9 hours ago, BrickBuilderX said:

It looks from this that we can expect 21323 to be released on November 1st with 3662 pieces.

I would say this is likely to be the piano with electronics to justify the price.

November 1st seems like a long time between sets, no? Also I have no idea how a piano is going to have 3662 pieces jesus.

I still have a feeling that one is Sesame Street but what do I know

Edited by Modal

IMO those are specs for Sesame Street. From the Ideas projects themselves, it seems more likely to me that a large building à la Ghostbusters Firehouse would contain more pieces than the piano.

But who knows for sure. I'm more excited for the piano anyways as I didn't grow up with Sesame Street.

17 hours ago, Exetrius said:

A treehouse and a piano are commonplace concepts found in everyday contemporary life, not exactly "super creative" if you ask me. However, they are very well-executed versions of the the concepts they represent. By comparison, I think the Ship in the Bottle or Old Fishing Store are more creative/inspired (by concept) than the Treehouse. In my opinion though, turning an interesting licence into lego form can be just as creative, as long as it is a challenging and inspired design. The Flintstones project is a good example of this. 

I feel like most of the time people use LEGO Ideas as just a pool for licenses, so it's a lot more creative and interesting when we get a set that is actually based on a original idea instead of a license. Not to mention the fact that those original ideas have a more universal appeal, unlike the licenced projects that appeal only to a very specific target audience.

13 hours ago, Lego David said:

I feel like most of the time people use LEGO Ideas as just a pool for licenses, so it's a lot more creative and interesting when we get a set that is actually based on a original idea instead of a license. Not to mention the fact that those original ideas have a more universal appeal, unlike the licenced projects that appeal only to a very specific target audience.

Exactly, after awhile it just gets old to see average sets that use a popular franchise like Animal Crossing or Avatar make it to 10k in a week because of the license. Lego Ideas is dope to me for those general ideas that are executed amazingly, such as the Tree House or Pirate Bay.

That's not to say all licensed stuff is bad. Just a little more creativity is appreciated.

On a different note, which contest ideas do you all hope win the Holiday contest? I think Sightseeing in Europe is the most well done of the bunch.

Edited by Modal

Last year we got 6 Ideas sets spaced roughly evenly across the year (so 1 every 2 months or so IIRC). So far in 2020, we have only had 2 and the year is half over...

Is this a product of the fact that the sets comming up (Piano, Sesame Street etc) are bigger and therefore take longer to get into production?

57 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Last year we got 6 Ideas sets spaced roughly evenly across the year (so 1 every 2 months or so IIRC). So far in 2020, we have only had 2 and the year is half over...

Is this a product of the fact that the sets comming up (Piano, Sesame Street etc) are bigger and therefore take longer to get into production?

We usually get 4 ideas sets a year besides last year in which we got 5. I wouldn’t worry too much since the next two sets will release in the second half of the year.

8 hours ago, Modal said:

On a different note, which contest ideas do you all hope win the Holiday contest?

One with animal moulds :tongue:

On 6/20/2020 at 9:12 AM, Lego David said:

We both have our own opinions of what creativity is, I'll leave it at that. And you can't make "universal appeal" comparisons without having sales numbers. The AFOL community is only a smaller part of the Lego-buying customers, so you should look at the appeal across the board, quantified in sales numbers. Anything, licensed or unlicensed, only appeals to a specific target audience, because nothing appeals to everyone. If TLG had limited itself to making the most basic, most universally recognizable things (houses, people and vehicles), the company wouldn't have become as big as it is; the specific things made it grow!

5 minutes ago, adwind said:

And the results are coming tomorrow 4 pm Danish time!

:excited: Nice!

Finally!

Hope Futurma will make it! If they go with nanofigures, then the new molds rule shouldnt be a problem

Finally! This was quite a long wait! 

I really hope Legend of Bionicle makes it. If it does, It will be a day one purchase for me!

On 6/20/2020 at 8:12 AM, Lego David said:

Licenses may appeal to a specific target group, but sometimes that target group is very big. And the point of IDEAS is (or at least was) to try to appeal to other people than the ones that regularly buy LEGO. Whereas some universal ideas may have more limited appeal. For example, the typewriter may look nice, but who wants a non-functioning typewriter just because it is made out of LEGO? I thought the same about the piano, but obviously the team at LEGO think it will sell. Maybe there are non-LEGO typewriter fans that will want this because it is a typewriter.

On 6/20/2020 at 9:50 PM, Modal said:

Exactly, after awhile it just gets old to see average sets that use a popular franchise like Animal Crossing or Avatar make it to 10k in a week because of the license. Lego Ideas is dope to me for those general ideas that are executed amazingly, such as the Tree House or Pirate Bay.

I don't really see The Pirate Bay or the Bionicle IDEA as any different to a third party license. They appeal to a group of people that are interested in those themes. I don't really have any interest in LEGO pirates, so I won't be buying TPB. Note that it isn't a good set, I'm just not interested in the theme it is based on. The same with the Friends set, it looks fine for what it is, but the license is not interesting to me. The Treehouse is a bit different as it is not linked to an existing theme.

17 minutes ago, MAB said:

Licenses may appeal to a specific target group, but sometimes that target group is very big. And the point of IDEAS is (or at least was) to try to appeal to other people than the ones that regularly buy LEGO. Whereas some universal ideas may have more limited appeal. For example, the typewriter may look nice, but who wants a non-functioning typewriter just because it is made out of LEGO? I thought the same about the piano, but obviously the team at LEGO think it will sell. Maybe there are non-LEGO typewriter fans that will want this because it is a typewriter.

I don't really see The Pirate Bay or the Bionicle IDEA as any different to a third party license. They appeal to a group of people that are interested in those themes. I don't really have any interest in LEGO pirates, so I won't be buying TPB. Note that it isn't a good set, I'm just not interested in the theme it is based on. The same with the Friends set, it looks fine for what it is, but the license is not interesting to me. The Treehouse is a bit different as it is not linked to an existing theme.

Agree with everything you wrote here. Regarding the Piano - I guess it's about "WOW" factor since it's made so well. I'm a guitar player but would be happy to get the pian since it's so well made :) 

1. Queen: I Want to Break Free No, bands usually do not make it and it is a house not a yellow submarine
  2. Seinfeld 30th Anniversary No, another TV show and probably not as popular as friends now a days
  3. The Legend of Zelda No, would have loved to get some horses, but it is not the first Zelda set and will not be the last not to pass review
  4. Planet Express Delivery Ship No, not the first Futurama set
  5. Ratatouille, No, Looks good, but they have the licence already
  6. LEGO Typewriter No, too narrow niche
  7. The Legend of the BIONICLE, Maybe, have no interest in it and the figs were bigger originally right ?! So do not understand it, but have a lot of fans?
  8. The Huascar No, too big
  9. Winter Chalet No, a house and too close to winter village
  10. Rocket Subway Train No, it is a train
  11. Home Alone No, it is a house and the films are not so popular now
  12. Clockwork Aquarium Yes, original and small ;)

I wonder if Lego only approves 1 set this round to make room for more sets next giga round, unless there are more than one they really want to make :shrug_oh_well:

1. Queen: I Want to Break Free - Eh, I could see this one happening, but it would be heavily modified, like how Barracuda Bay was radically changed.
  2. Seinfeld 30th Anniversary - It's kind of bland, and I can just see a bunch of MOCs with Michael Richards' infamous Laugh Factory incident with an official LEGO minifigure of him...
  3. The Legend of Zelda - Since LEGO is partnered with Nintendo, and if Mario does well, I'm sure they have Zelda sets prepared.
  4. Planet Express Delivery Ship - It needs minifigures. If it gets approved, I see them adding minifigures.
  5. Ratatouille - I really feel like Disney wouldn't allow this.
  6. LEGO Typewriter - This one seems just too bland. I think if it gets approved, LEGO would modify it and make it more fantastical and ornate.
  7. The Legend of the BIONICLE - I can see it happenning. But I'd rather have them not do this and just make a big anniversary Great Spirit Robot set or something.
  8. The Huascar - Too big, and way too bland. It's just a hunk of grey.
  9. Winter Chalet - This has a good chance I think. It fits in well with the winter village sets (and this would help boost that line's sales I'm sure). LEGO already has had the Treehouse and the Old Fishing Store which fit perfectly with their Creator Expert modulars.
  10. Rocket Subway Train - I don't see the appeal.
  11. Home Alone - I can see this one, and it fits in with the Winter Village sets as well. There's just not a lot of traps with it. And while Ideas sets aren't supposed to be playsets, Home Alone without traps makes no sense.
  12. Clockwork Aquarium - I can see them scaling this one up if it gets picked. It's the Ship in a Bottle of this review period.

I don't think we'll get both Home Alone and Winter Chalet. They wouldn't do two houses. I think it will be one of those, more likely Winter Chalet, and possibly Clockwork Aquarium or Futurama.

The Bionicle diorama is really the only one in this review that I’m actively hoping will be made. Was never super into system sets as a kid but absolutely loved Bionicles. Hopefully if it does get passed over, its only because LEGO already has something planned for the 20th anniversary.

Theres a couple others that if made I’d probably end up buying if I like the end result but nothing that I’d be disappointed about not making it. 

Edited by UberCorp

22 minutes ago, KotZ said:
  2. Ratatouille - I really feel like Disney wouldn't allow this

Interesting points! And why do you think Disney wouldn't approve the Ratatouille?