The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

32 minutes ago, tomaaki said:

About "fake" support I meant like - whenever someone asks me what is LEGO ideas and I explain them. Then a lot of them say: make one, I'll register and vote and ask family, friends, neighbors to vote. Out of those 30 people maybe 1 or 2 would actually be interested to buy it. That generates false idea of actual interest in it.

Entirely plausible. Surely there is some market research or algorithms to help the Ideas team gauge the sales figures and determine how fickle this crowd might be.

On 5/14/2020 at 2:09 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

Also also, it was created by Dan Harmon of Rick and Morty fame.

Oh yeah that's how I remember this show, cause Dan Harmon sexually harassed one of the writers for Community. Hollywood.

21 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Entirely plausible. Surely there is some market research or algorithms to help the Ideas team gauge the sales figures and determine how fickle this crowd might be.

I have no doubt LEGO evaluates data on just such matters for every Ideas project that reaches review.

My personal impression is that Community definitely doesn’t have the broad mainstream popularity of Friends or The Big Bang Theory, but that a much higher percentage of its viewers are the sorts of devoted fans of the show that would (do) buy merchandise like LEGO sets. I honestly don’t know whether it’d do better or worse than those other sets (for that matter, I’m really not in a position to judge whether those others have done well or not, since it’s not like I see LEGO’s sales data).

I will say, though, that I think Community is a better brand fit for LEGO than either Friends or The Big Bang Theory, which frankly both really surprised me when they were announced. Honestly, none of the three is exactly something that screams “LEGO needs to do this!” to me, but Community is (IMO) cleverer and more offbeat while at the same time more heartfelt and sincere, in ways that feel to me like it would be a better match for both the humor and heart of LEGO (alongside the imagination and creativity).

21 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Oh yeah that's how I remember this show, cause Dan Harmon sexually harassed one of the writers for Community. Hollywood.

Yeah, Harmon has by his own admission been guilty of a number of such things, like no small number of people both in and out of Hollywood. FWIW, he later made a lengthy admission of and apology for his behavior on his podcast and the writer, Megan Ganz, accepted what she called a master class in how to apologize, and forgave him; I imagine LEGO surely considers matters like that in their evaluations as well. From what I understand of it (and given the histories of some of the other people behind things they’ve licensed), I don’t think it’s something that would prevent them from doing it, but one never knows (of course, if it’s declined, we almost certainly will never know whether it’s for a specific reason, or if they just decided the project just doesn’t have that compelling factor that makes this one of the things they should approve out of all the many worthwhile ideas that cross their desks).

How much is left until the results for the third 2019 review stage come out? We already close to the end of May, yet we still haven't heard anything about it.

7 hours ago, Lego David said:

How much is left until the results for the third 2019 review stage come out? We already close to the end of May, yet we still haven't heard anything about it.

If I was guessing, then I'd say June 2-nd or 8-th. Because we still have two 10k club interviews to be published (and that usually happen on Mondays), so the last interview will happen on June 1-st and then I'm guessing they will reveal results the next day or next Monday :)

Edited by adwind

5 projects have now qualified already for the next review:

The Mountain Windmill by Hanwasyellowfirst

Community - Greendale Community College by bulldoozer21

(Both already mentioned)

Brickwest Studios by Bricky_Brick (Creator of The Pirate Bay)

Lego HeroQuest by KingGloriousSquirrel

House from Up by bramant1

That’s 5 in 20 days!

With this many already, at this rate there could be the same number of projects again qualify, or more!

Also, with 26 projects qualifying for review, how many do you think will be accepted - in the past on smaller reviews it’s normally about 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 I think, which would mean 4 or 5 become sets.

Edited by Vilhelm22

6 hours ago, Vilhelm22 said:

5 projects have now qualified already for the next review:

The Mountain Windmill by Hanwasyellowfirst

Community - Greendale Community College by bulldoozer21

(Both already mentioned)

Brickwest Studios by Bricky_Brick (Creator of The Pirate Bay)

Lego HeroQuest by KingGloriousSquirrel

House from Up by bramant1

That’s 5 in 20 days!

With this many already, at this rate there could be the same number of projects again qualify, or more!

Also, with 26 projects qualifying for review, how many do you think will be accepted - in the past on smaller reviews it’s normally about 1 in 5 or 1 in 6 I think, which would mean 4 or 5 become sets.

I think it really depends on the number of Ideas sets they are allowed to produce per year... I mean there should be some limits in certain theme right? 

On 5/24/2020 at 1:05 PM, Vilhelm22 said:

That’s 5 in 20 days!

Yikes, these are all pretty awful. Might be time to increase it to 15 or 20k.

Hero Quest is my favorite of those 5, but as someone mentioned earlier, it's licensed via Games Workshop (same company that made Warhammer).

Edited by TeriXeri

I know it’s not IDEAS, but in the new 18+ range a brown Swiss crocodile locomotive has been leaked - see the trains forum, where there’s major excitement!  It’s obvious that Lego does take some notice of failed entries, as over the years on IDEAS I have seen many renditions of this particular locomotive.

Failed IDEAS projects:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/b100be81-413e-4aa8-98f2-f2c68354f5ed

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/899ca545-49a5-4102-aef8-154bb71ac6ea

Leaked official set 10277:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CAkKfP5pQJZ/?hl=en

Just two models entered on IDEAS (pretty sure there were more), and now LEGO is making one themselves.  Really goes to show if enough people enter projects on one thing, even if not IDEAS, it can still happen.

22 hours ago, Merlict said:

Yikes, these are all pretty awful. Might be time to increase it to 15 or 20k.

I’m assuming this was intended as a joke.

A few days ago I uploaded this project for the great show “Rocko’s Modern Life”, based on the main character’s home. The next day it was rejected for the subject matter being “inappropriate” and the IP, which was first unlisted, was then banned. 

A2-AE86-A7-7-CFB-4039-B742-2-CC5-DA76674

2344466-E-4-A2-B-45-B3-8203-9743-F602-E4

67-E96-B23-D148-4-F08-B28-D-ADB781120-B9

8-B3-E4-ACA-B869-4-C4-B-BA71-CF7-DC1-B1-

Recently I saw Ashnflash’s video regarding the IP listing and, while I think the new feature is very helpful it has a lot of flaws. I know Rocko is a lot raunchier than most Nicktoons (it’s well-known today for its innuendos), but I can’t see how this is significantly worse than, say, Simpsons or approved projects like Friends, even among Nicktoons Invader Zim seems like a more “inappropriate” show. Has anyone tried to dispute this?

I have a few other projects I was working on but I don’t really know what to do with this now. 

COVID really seems to be having an effect on voting numbers on IDEAS.

There are currently: 434 ideas with more than 1000 votes (still gathering support) of which 189 are over 2000 and 44 are over 5000. It used to be quite rare that there would be more than a couple with over 5000 at any one time.

4 hours ago, MAB said:

COVID really seems to be having an effect on voting numbers on IDEAS.

There are currently: 434 ideas with more than 1000 votes (still gathering support) of which 189 are over 2000 and 44 are over 5000. It used to be quite rare that there would be more than a couple with over 5000 at any one time.

*huh* That's pretty insane! 

They already covered all the interviews for this review period. It’s just a matter of when they will announce the results. Some announcements have been made the day after or some are weeks after the last interview is posted. 

4 hours ago, Lego David said:

How much is left until the results for the 3rd 2019 review stage come out? We are already in June.

This. I really really really hope it's Bionicle winning. It NEEDS to become a set. 

1 hour ago, Harkonen said:

This. I really really really hope it's Bionicle winning. It NEEDS to become a set. 

I wholeheartedly agree on that.

Not interested in bionicles but Ratatoille would be a really great choice to me!

On 6/3/2020 at 4:26 PM, Harkonen said:

For the love of the entire fanbase, please yes! 

18 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

For the love of the entire fanbase, please yes! 

Make that "Entire fanbase" minus 1. I'm totally NOT interested in anything Bionicle related :pir_tong2:

Or, make that "Entrie Bionicle fanbase". That would be OK to me :pir-laugh:

35 minutes ago, Capparezza said:

Make that "Entire fanbase" minus 1. I'm totally NOT interested in anything Bionicle related :pir_tong2:

Or, make that "Entrie Bionicle fanbase". That would be OK to me :pir-laugh:

Well yes, "Bionicle" was implied in "the fanbase", but maybe that wasn't clear enough. Anyway, I was trying to stress that the Bionicle fanbase as a whole really deserves some love in the form of a set. It would mean a lot to them.

On 4/23/2014 at 10:23 AM, Floundie said:

My thinking exactly.

The new age limit makes me very happy as I'm underage. Due to the change though wouldn't it trigger a flood of subpar projects? It makes we wonder why they would reduce the age limit rather than reinforce it.

I don't visit CUUSOO very often so I might not know what I'm talking about.

Agreed 100%