The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

33 minutes ago, Legoman123 said:

Awesome it's both this and the Futurama set I want to pass the review.  Good luck.:grin:

Thank you! I will be so over the moon if this happens :) 

On 4/29/2020 at 9:31 PM, Robert8 said:

23 projects... *oh2*

This review will take them like a year or something 

I would think that they start the review process as soon as the project hits the 10,000 mark

What do you think guys, will one of the ten finalists from music contest be chosen to become a set?

While it's obvious that Jazz Quartet is going to win how do you evaluate it's chances?

How much is left until the next review season starts? They'd better start it as soon as possible, before it becomes too overwhelming.

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

How much is left until the next review season starts? They'd better start it as soon as possible, before it becomes too overwhelming.

Pretty sure it comes immediately after the next review results come out - at the bottom of every review results blog post it says something along the lines of ‘next in review:’ with the projects displayed below.  On the subject of when the next review results come out, I can’t find an exact date but the first comments on the Third 2018 Review Results post are all 11 months ago, as is the YouTube video.  This would imply an early June announcement.  26 projects have reached 10K supporters, and I predict that it will reach 30 before the next review results come.

The review sessions begin in waves of every four months, regardless of when they have their results announced. The last one was January 6th, and the newspost for that one announced the next cut-off date will be May 4th. So that's 26 in total with no last-minute additional upset forthcoming, since there's no fast-moving projects near the top of the list at current. What a wild ride! Congratulations to the most recent people whose projects have reached 10k - including Disneybrick55, who is probably the first person to have two projects in one review session..!?

Edited by toastergrl

On 5/2/2020 at 12:32 PM, toastergrl said:

The review sessions begin in waves of every four months, regardless of when they have their results announced. The last one was January 6th, and the newspost for that one announced the next cut-off date will be May 4th. So that's 26 in total with no last-minute additional upset forthcoming, since there's no fast-moving projects near the top of the list at current. What a wild ride! Congratulations to the most recent people whose projects have reached 10k - including Disneybrick55, who is probably the first person to have two projects in one review session..!?

Not quite; the Third 2017 Review, which had a total of seven projects, had three by the same submitter - just a few months after a previously-approved project by that same builder was released as a set (the Old Fishing Store, by Ideas vet RobenAnne). And I think there have been one or two others with two projects by the same person.

However, this is easily the most projects (or Product Ideas, as they call them now) overall in a single review batch. In fact, IIRC the previous record is 13, which I think two batches have had, and this is exactly twice that.

Remember the early LEGO CUUSOO days, when six or seven projects in a batch seemed like a lot? Oh, how young we were... :laugh:

Edited by Blondie-Wan
Adding info

That's pretty interesting to know. Guess I know my Ideas history less than I thought, considering I was under the impression the previous max was 12 (the last session of 2019!) - I followed the site's western launch a lot in its earliest Minecraft and Portal days (RIP to the latter project... ), but was off the ball until relatively recently.

As expected, the submission period for the first review session of 2020 is over, since all the projects have been progressed to the "In Review" stage. Blog post likely forthcoming later, it'll be interesting to see whether there'll be any special handling of this session due to how jam-packed it is or potential changes to the Ideas format as a consequence.

Edited by toastergrl

1 hour ago, toastergrl said:

That's pretty interesting to know. Guess I know my Ideas history less than I thought, considering I was under the impression the previous max was 12 (the last session of 2019!) - I followed the site's western launch a lot in its earliest Minecraft and Portal days (RIP to the latter project... ), but was off the ball until relatively recently.

As expected, the submission period for the first review session of 2020 is over, since all the projects have been progressed to the "In Review" stage. Blog post likely forthcoming later, it'll be interesting to see whether there'll be any special handling of this session due to how jam-packed it is or potential changes to the Ideas format as a consequence.

Hey, we all forget stuff once in a while, and I might be wrong about 13 projects in a batch before this (though obviously, whatever the old record was, it’s been surpassed now). The three by a single builder in a single batch thing is definite, though. :classic:

I’ve been wondering myself whether the way they do things might change. I think it depends on part on whether this is just a one-time crazy outlier, or a sign of our new normal. If the latter, though, I think it might just mean they assign a few more people to the Ideas team.

The blog post is up! No sign of any changes to the system, so maybe they're waiting to see how things go for the next one - but of potential note is that while the January writeup told us the end of the session was today, this one doesn't tell us when the end of the session beginning today is. Keeping their options open..?

Just now, toastergrl said:

The blog post is up! No sign of any changes to the system, so maybe they're waiting to see how things go for the next one - but of potential note is that while the January writeup told us the end of the session was today, this one doesn't tell us when the end of the session beginning today is. Keeping their options open..?

I guess so, but if this period will last longer they'll get more ideas in the next one :) I'm also really curious how many ideas will actually become a set... if normally we get 1-3, I can't even imagine how many they'll pick this time!

2 hours ago, toastergrl said:

Oh, and BTW, massive congratulations on your success with your Sonic the Hedgehog project! :thumbup:

Edited by Blondie-Wan
italicization

Although I am hoping that a lot of projects get approved from this batch, I think only 5 max will be approved. (I acknowledge 3 from a while ago was large, but this is a batch of 26).

2 hours ago, adwind said:

I guess so, but if this period will last longer they'll get more ideas in the next one :)

I was almost thinking the opposite - that they're leaving the door open to call things early and start a smaller session with slightly less time assigned to it? Admittely it'd still potentially be more throughput than usual, but it might prevent so many Ideas being considered in the same moment.

1 minute ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Oh, and BTW, massive congratulations on your success with your Sonic the Hedgehog project! :thumbup:

Thank you very much ^u^

Edited by toastergrl

Looking at the list, Mary Poppins I am not sure about. Its big but its also a film that is very well known (and a Disney film at that). So it might get made.

I recon the Cybertruck has no chance (its nowhere near popular enough I suspect, even with all the buzz surrounding its reveal)

Untitled Goose Game will probably depend on licensing and on whether the game is popular enough.

Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang, IMO its too large, needs too many shiny bits and is based on a movie that isn't all that popular anymore.

The train station is both very large (larger even than a modular) and makes heavy use of pieces that are long out of production (including the big dome pieces) so I can't see it being made. LEGO also knows how well train stations sell based on previous sets.

We have had SpaceX projects in the past and they got rejected, I suspect this one will too.

Given the number of NASA type sets they have done (including the ISS which many people will consider a "NASA" thing as well) I can't see the Gemini set being made (also its not as iconic or recognizable as the Apollo stuff, how many people who aren't space or rocket buffs would recognize it?).

The bowling alley has a chance IMO. Its not massive in terms of size and piece count and a bowling alley is something different to what LEGO has made or might make (which is something LEGO wants from Ideas) plus bowling is still fairly popular.

I can't see Indiana Jones happening, LEGO knows how Indiana Jones sets sell (or don't sell) and this set isn't something that would necessarily be popular even with fans of the films.

Bricks & Blooms is a straight up modular and those generally get rejected.

I doubt Sonic will happen after their recently announced deal with Nintendo for Mario product.

I dont see the fishing boat being a huge seller and they release boats and things all the time in other lines.

Knight Rider could work, its not massive and the TV show and car are still popular and recognizable (and they do have a relationship with General Motors who owns the base vehicle IP). And they did a Knight Rider thing for Dimensions (so that would give them knowledge of how the licensing might work for this and whether this might sell)

The Snow Groomer looks way too big (bigger even than a typical flagship set such as last year's digger from the look of it). Plus its the sort of thing LEGO would potentially do themselves (they did a Technic snow groomer in 2009 IIRC)

They just greenlit a Castle project (blacksmith shop), they aren't likely to do another one so soon afterwards which rules out the forest castle.

The pink house is a possibility (its not massively oversized and from reading what I see on Ideas it looks like the producer of the movie at least seems to like what's been done so a license isn't out of the question here)

Anyone else want to predict what might get approved or rejected?

Edited by jonwil

I am mainly hoping for the Castle in the Forest.

It kinda makes me suspicious that LEGO put a small picture of a drawn train station with a lot of glass and a train sticking out on an advert for an upcoming City book map

On this same picture I saw the City Airport design, before pictures were known, the curved roof with rollercoaster tracks, and that did end up like the real set.

Better link to catalog with adverts to City Book Out and About : 

https://www.ameet.eu/catalogues/ameet-books-catalogue-2020/

Edited by TeriXeri

Just now, TeriXeri said:

I am mainly hoping for the Castle in the Forest.

It kinda makes me suspicious that LEGO put a small picture of a drawn train station with a lot of glass and a train sticking out on an advert for an upcoming City book map (which also had the summer airport on it.

Judging from a pizza in the picture, you think it's likely that we'll see another pizza related set? 

Just now, Brandon Pea said:

Judging from a pizza in the picture, you think it's likely that we'll see another pizza related set? 

Pizza seems more likely then a "whipped cream factory" which is also on it (I saw this same picture in the latest 2020 City magazine).

But anyway, just found it interesting there's a train station with glass , a train sticking out ,and a clock/arch on the side like the IDEAS submission.

Not trying to state that of that map as a fact to become sets (also existing/older sets are also pictured), it just happened to be the case for the airport building to be very very similar design.

Edited by TeriXeri

Somehow I missed a few when I posted my earlier thoughts:

Ancient Rome looks too big (in area if not in piece count)

Ruined House looks interesting but would it sell?

As for Spongebob, does Mega not have the license anymore? Also LEGO would know how well Spongebob sets sold and whether a Krusty Krab that large would work or not (and whether its fesable to bring back the molds for the Spongebob characters or not)

The waterfall also looks good but again, would it sell?

I could see the Queen train having a better chance of being made than the other Queen set.

Didn't Mega Bloks have the license for Futurama or did that expire?

Iron Giant is possible, LEGO do have a good relationship with Warner Bros (who own the rights) but is it popular enough?

The Zelda Castle looks too big (it looks to be Disney Castle sized maybe)

Blue Origin rocket, even less well known than SpaceX.

The Earth Globe has possibilities since its something different (in the way of things like the ship in a bottle). But whether it can be brought in at a price point that makes sense is another matter.

Looking through these there's three I would like if they were to be turned into sets: the Castle in the Forest, Hyrule Castle (if it was significantly scaled-down) and the Indiana Jones Trilogy set - I love the figures for that one! 

However, all of these might be quite unlikely but it's really hard to tell what could pass based on here. A lot don't stand out to me as they just seem like either things that would be made in the Lego Modular or Space themes already, or the pattern of an established license having a big house. From all those submissions of giant licensed houses only two have passed I think: the Ghostbusters and Sesame Street. 

Also the Rome city set is absolutely amazing but I can't imagine many people buying that. 

Also does anyone think the wrecked house set has no marketable appeal whatsoever? Like there's no charm there and it just looks a bit grim. 

19 hours ago, Darth Shadowthrone said:

Also does anyone think the wrecked house set has no marketable appeal whatsoever? Like there's no charm there and it just looks a bit grim. 

Yeah it really is unappealing haha. Needs something to tell a story at least. 

I mean gross / run down things can be fun. Kids would love a rubbish dump playset. 

Looking at how many and how fast new projects reach 2-3-4k I'm guessing next round won't be small either! There's some TV show project that got 4k votes in 1 day - that's crazy!

Having so many projects in one review period the idea of increasing 10k goal for IP projects looks fair to me... 

Jangbricks has reviewed all of the 26 ideas live! :)