The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

I just wanted to write a quick post to say thank you to everyone who supported the Miracle Express. I am honestly grateful for all of your support. Reaching 10,000 votes is no easy task. It requires the time and effort that you'd give to a full time job and after the year long campaign/promoting of the idea, I am actually exhausted! :laugh:

So honestly, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so much for all your support this past year. It truly means a lot to me and I wish you all well and much success! :)

Congrats @Hickernator and ThomasW (he's not on Eurobricks as far as I'm aware).

8 hours ago, Lego David said:

Either the Queen set from the 3rd 2019 Review Stage gets approved, either none of those gets approved. I can't see LEGO making more LEGO Ideas sets based off the same IP.

I don't necessarily agree that if the one from the previous session doesn't make it, this one won't. Maybe they have a good discussion with the IP holder but figured that a train would be a better sell than a house filled with crossdressing musicians, which is a progressive concept but maybe not considered appropriate for the LEGO brand?

15 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

That makes 22 at 10000, didn't even fit on the page and a see more button appeared *oh2*

Well, it says 22, but somehow Untitled Goose Game is listed twice.

It's definitely 22, I've been counting with friends as we go along and get closer and closer to the cut-off date. I also don't see Untitled Goose Game listed twice on my end.

8 hours ago, toastergrl said:

It's definitely 22, I've been counting with friends as we go along and get closer and closer to the cut-off date. I also don't see Untitled Goose Game listed twice on my end.

Yes it's 22 now and no more duplicates, might have been a bug.

Well, 23 now - @brettcuv got their updated Iron Giant design to 10k a second(!!) time after its previous rejection. Major congrats, and best of luck this time around!

resize:800:450

Edited by toastergrl

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but how do you all feel about the controversy that is happening over the new LEGO ideas contest? 

25 minutes ago, fantasticfootno said:

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but how do you all feel about the controversy that is happening over the new LEGO ideas contest? 

Would you mind explaining what that controversy is, for those not in the know?

So, there is that music moc contest, that is happening right now on ideas. One of the submissions that made it to a finalist, turned out to be plagiarized. (It was a sony walkman). 

On 4/28/2020 at 1:06 PM, adwind said:

They actually said somewhere it's summer, so hoping for June... I'm actually in this review, so I'm trying to stay up to date :)

Ahh okay! What’s your project mate? 

Surfs Up Eurobricks!  Are you a fan of the ocean, summer time, and good music?  If so, then I've got the perfect LEGO Ideas project for you.  This project recreates the very first album, Surfin' Safari, of The Beach Boys.  I would be honored if you'd check out the project.

https://ideas.lego.com/content/project/link/fcdda59a-b6d5-4bb0-8c5e-cb151923625b

Beach Boys Rotation.jpg

1 hour ago, fantasticfootno said:

So, there is that music moc contest, that is happening right now on ideas. One of the submissions that made it to a finalist, turned out to be plagiarized. (It was a sony walkman). 

If true there should be no controversy in the appropriate response:  the entry should be disqualified.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

23 projects... *oh2*

This review will take them like a year or something 

Yeah I think that the number of required votes for an Idea to be reviewed needs to be increased to 15k or something like that.

Right now, if you reach 7k, you're basically assured to make review; it's just a matter of time. Being at the top of the feed puts you in the public eye more and people that would not otherwise search out your submission will now support you.

Looks like another Zelda project reached 10k! Do you think they still have a problem with licencing? 

Just now, adwind said:

Looks like another Zelda project reached 10k! Do you think they still have a problem with licencing? 

Either they approve this one or the Breath of Wild stables. I don't see them making more than one set based off the same IP. 

But now that we know that LEGO holds the Nintendo license, at least one of those two projects being approved is highly possible.

Just now, Lego David said:

Either they approve this one or the Breath of Wild stables. I don't see them making more than one set based off the same IP. 

But now that we know that LEGO holds the Nintendo license, at least one of those two projects being approved is highly possible.

If they hold it (forgot about Mario) then there might be a chance that they were planning or already have been working on Zelda set themselves... 

Make that 25: https://www.stonewars.de/news/blue-origin-new-glenn-rocket/

What is going on here? Why are there 3 times as many ideas in this review phase than usual? Have people gotten more effective and/or efficient at spreading the word? :laugh:

Honestly,I wouldn‘t be surprised if they decided to split it and perhaps merge one half with the next review phase, assuming that one won‘t be as crowded :tongue:

46 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Honestly,I wouldn‘t be surprised if they decided to split it and perhaps merge one half with the next review phase, assuming that one won‘t be as crowded 

No thanks, I have high hopes for the farm next round and the more sets in this review the better :tongue:

I guess it is because of the virus and a lot of people are sitting at home all the time.. I do not think it is such a big problem for Lego to review sets either, they did increase the time so more sets should have a chance to make it. A lot of them are probably out of the question rather quick, a few maybe and 1-2 instant approved :shrug_oh_well:

52 minutes ago, Lego-Freak said:

Make that 25: https://www.stonewars.de/news/blue-origin-new-glenn-rocket/

What is going on here? Why are there 3 times as many ideas in this review phase than usual? Have people gotten more effective and/or efficient at spreading the word? :laugh:

Honestly,I wouldn‘t be surprised if they decided to split it and perhaps merge one half with the next review phase, assuming that one won‘t be as crowded :tongue:

LEGO Ideas has gotten more well-known and popular as time has gone on, though this is a pretty big spike for one review period. Maybe it’s as simple as millions of people now being stuck at home and spending more time on the Internet.

On 4/29/2020 at 10:26 AM, fantasticfootno said:

So what’s the controversy? If they determine it’s plagiarized, they can disqualify it.

Just now, Blondie-Wan said:

LEGO Ideas has gotten more well-known and popular as time has gone on, though this is a pretty big spike for one review period. Maybe it’s as simple as millions of people now being stuck at home and spending more time on the Internet.

So what’s the controversy? If they determine it’s plagiarized, they can disqualify it.

They already have:

"Update - 30/04/2020

Following a thorough review of the submission SONY WALKMAN TPS-L2 1:1 by Patrick60 we have made the difficult decision to remove this submission from the contest, as we have determined that it does not sufficiently stand apart as an original design. While we highly encourage members to inspire others and be inspired by the community, we are not able to approve the submission of designs that lend too heavily from other LEGO designs - be that official models or fan creations.

The decision has been made taking into consideration that when basing one’s creations on an object that exists in the real world then some similarities may certainly occur, especially when building at the same scale too with a limited variety of LEGO bricks/available techniques. However, in this case, we have determined, on a building technique and element use level, that the submission didn’t differ enough even though everyone is free to create their own versions of the same real-world object.

As a result of this, you may or may not have noticed that this ‘Top 10’ has shrunk to a ‘Top 9’, which we will continue the fan vote with. We will not be re-setting the fan vote and we will not be adding a 10th submission to the fan vote. Members who have already voted for the SONY WALKMAN TPS-L2 1:1 will have their vote returned to them in the coming days, so that they can vote again.

We want to thank the community for helping to bring this to our attention. It’s difficult to know absolutely every LEGO fan creation in the world, and we’re thankful that we have a community who are so knowledgeable and passionate."

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/e9e21526-4c72-4c2a-b363-13fd125cb22c

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

So, when exactly in May should the results for the 3rd 2019 Review Stage come out?

It is between June 1-st and 10-th most likely but not earlier than June 100%.

Edited by adwind

Lego Technic PRO Studio - A REAL STUDIO, is a sturdy toolkit fit for Storyboarding, Photography, Stop Motion and Videography. It fosters creativity and is versatile enough not only for lego enthusiasts but also for artists ready to share their creations with the world.

It’s an EASEL in the preliminary phases of your project and it CONVERTS into a full fledged STUDIO when you are ready to materialize your ideas.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/cf06d511-bc1a-4e8b-987b-99fe5941b47e

resize:1600:900

I hope you like it!