The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

5 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Has TLG ever detailed what the review consist of?

Safety is another criteria they mentioned after JK Brickworks got his particle accelerator to 10k votes. The model had a small Lego ball continually accelerating round a circular track, but it could get up to insane speeds.

It also seems to help if one of the official Lego designers volunteers for the project. The designers who brought the Saturn V and Voltron to the shelves were incredibly passionate about making the sets a reality.

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Coraline’s Pink Palace Apartments Achieves 10,000 Supporters

resize:1600:900

On 2/20/2020 at 7:41 PM, Digger of Bricks said:
On 2/18/2020 at 1:45 AM, Artanis I said:
On 2/17/2020 at 5:50 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

HOT DAMN!!! Look here what's been submitted to Ideas today! *oh2* 

LEGO Ideas - Savanna Master by LegoWyrm

Is that the Keaton Batmobile?

Nope, it's a completely original creation, inspired after the Decopunk/Retrofuturistic work of Vincent Gashod, most particularly his SL20 Streamliner... :blush:

Well, looks like the creator of that project has managed to reverse-engineer its primary inspiration... :oh3:

Savanna, I am your father

Congrats to that project - and the ancient Rome microscale design that reached 10k only hours behind it!

Every time you post a picture of those gorgeous cars @Digger of Bricks I want them more and more. It's really disappointing that they're only at 144 supporters right now - I've shared it with my friends but I dunno what else can be done there. :c

On 4/9/2020 at 6:38 AM, Robert8 said:

I wonder if part of the LEGO Ideas review includes "testing" the set with kids. Like showing them pics of the project or something. We know from interviews and such, that these testings play a huge part on whether something becomes an official LEGO product or not. (For instance, they've said they had interest on steampunk stuff but the testing didn't do well and that's why it didn't happen)

Because I wonder why the testing on sets like Pirates Bay and Medieval Blacksmith goes well, and yet TLG can't bring themselves to produce historical themes anymore?

I highly doubt LEGO does that with kids. LEGO Ideas has always been mostly aimed at AFOLs.

Edited by Lego David

3 hours ago, toastergrl said:

Every time you post a picture of those gorgeous cars @Digger of Bricks I want them more and more. It's really disappointing that they're only at 144 supporters right now - I've shared it with my friends but I dunno what else can be done there.

Whatever exposure and promotion elsewhere always helps... :thumbup: :blush: ...but yes, I just don't know if there's enough enthusiasm for "Deco-Futurism" and such out there to help it along. Hopefully it's shear "coolness" and sharp looks alone can help garner it further support and a longer life before expiring... :shrug_oh_well:

3 hours ago, toastergrl said:

Congrats to that project - and the ancient Rome microscale design that reached 10k only hours behind it!

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Historically Accurate Rome Achieves 10,000 Supporters

It's going to be a huge round! I can see 4 or 5 projects reaching the 10k easily before June. I wanna say I'm excited about The Great Fishing Boat and Krusty Krab the most from that round! 

54 minutes ago, adwind said:

It's going to be a huge round! I can see 4 or 5 projects reaching the 10k easily before June.

Totally!! Although I will note that Ideas session deadlines are in increments of four months, and the last one was at the start of January - so I think they'll need to reach 10k in the next three weeks or so to join the session. Still a chance for it to cross 20 projects, which is downright bewildering considering the last one was 12, but...

It's funny you mention the Krusty Krab, too. At last count it's still under 9k but considering it was at 8500 yesterday that's still a definite joining in before the time limit expires, way more guaranteed than even the Queen Spirit Train or Waterfall designs which currently head the list for now.

I daresay the Ideas crew probably weren't expecting people to be in quarantine looking for stuff to do and be voting up by the barrelful! Frankly it makes me nervous about my own project's chances with that much solid competition in store ^^;; Do you think they'll up the number of potential products, defer some to the next session if *that* looks a little thin, or make some adjustments to the qualifications?

Edited by toastergrl

6 minutes ago, toastergrl said:

I daresay the Ideas crew probably weren't expecting people to be in quarantine looking for stuff to do and be voting up by the barrelful! Frankly it makes me nervous about my own project's chances with that much solid competition in store ^^;; Do you think they'll up the number of potential products, defer some to the next session if *that* looks a little thin, or make some adjustments to the qualifications?

Actually I wouldn't worry too much about the number of entries since they clearly state somewhere in rules that they evaluate each idea separately, so basically in my understanding entries in one particular round are actually not rivals - they are just ideas that are reviewed in the same period of time and if some of them really fits Lego and passes all their requirements - it'll be done. That is how I understand those words... and yeah I am too lazy to search for them now :)    

Edited by adwind

53 minutes ago, adwind said:

they clearly state somewhere in rules that they evaluate each idea separately, so basically in my understanding entries in one particular round are actually not rivals - they are just ideas that are reviewed in the same period of time and if some of them really fits Lego and passes all their requirements - it'll be done.

That... makes a lot of sense, actually, because I distinctly remember one session in the past where no product ideas made it through review. Thank you for allaying a significant portion of my worries :D Good luck with your Lifeguard Shack, which I just voted for, and although you probably can't say anything hope things are going well in review with your Home Alone house design!

Just now, toastergrl said:

That... makes a lot of sense, actually, because I distinctly remember one session in the past where no product ideas made it through review. Thank you for allaying a significant portion of my worries :D Good luck with your Lifeguard Shack, which I just voted for, and although you probably can't say anything hope things are going well in review with your Home Alone house design!

Thank you for that! :) I can only hope things are going well over there in Denmark! 

Sonic will make it, I'm telling you ;)

@ArkitektoLI Wow, that dragon looks amazing. I'm not convinced that it's light enough to be mounted on a wall by just one bracket, but the sculpture, texture, and detailing is absolutely stunning.

@NathanR Thank you for the kind comments, I truly appreciate! It is built of 6 separate parts and the intent is for it to look like it's storming/popping through the wall. I was told that feature is not clear enough and should be shown better in a next update, such as with a photomontage, well noted. Each part has two brackets to distribute the weight as shown below. I am concerned that the ball sockets with rubber inserts (spine) and hinges (side scales) wouldn't really hold shape though, to be tested. All comments will be considered, once again thank you for your help!

That Hero Quest set will never happen. The rights are owned by Games Workshop (the same mob that make Warhammer) plus LEGO tried a Hero Quest type set a while back with the Heroica thing and it didn't sell.

Congrats to them! It looks like a difficult thing to put together with everything askance at angles and such, but definitely compelling.

Jeepers, and I thought 15 was a lot. There's gonna be over 20 projects, isn't there?. The Spongebob and Waterfall ones are less than a week away at their current pace, and the other Queen design can't hover near the top of the list forever. Is it the quarantine across the world getting lots of people voting more than they usually would?

Edited by toastergrl

17 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Congrats ExeSandbox! Don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m expecting this to be chosen when it’s reviewed.  It got 10k supporters in 42 days (6 weeks) and to me looks like the type of build that loads of people will buy - a memory from their childhood recreated in LEGO.  Congrats again to the builder and I hope to see this on the shelves in about a year!

Yeah, agreed Vilhelm22. Congrats @ExeSandbox - this is an absolute corker and even at risk to my own project I definitely think it's a very, very solid concept that deserves to be picked up. What a meteoric rise for sure!

Technically speaking, LEGO made the Krusty Krab as a set twice (in 2006 and 2009). So it being somewhat of an attempt at bringing back a retired set might go against the LEGO Ideas rules. But then again, it's a very bankable set, and LEGO loves money as much as Mr. Krabs does...

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Technically speaking, LEGO made the Krusty Krab as a set twice (in 2006 and 2009). So it being somewhat of an attempt at bringing back a retired set might go against the LEGO Ideas rules. But then again, it's a very bankable set, and LEGO loves money as much as Mr. Krabs does...

One of the main barriers to it becoming a set is probably the fact that it utilizes those retired head molds from that earlier theme. There's no guarantee Lego still has those around and even if they did, reintroducing all of them would constitute a much greater logistical cost than the use of active molds.

I'm also not 100% sure what the current working relationship between Lego and Nickelodeon is. Nickelodeon does currently air Lego City Adventures, but all of the themes based on Nickelodeon shows (Avatar, Spongebob, TMNT) are long since retired, not even making a return in more recent "umbrella themes" like BrickHeadz or Lego Dimensions.

^ Lack of existing head molds didn't stop the Ideas team from selecting Winnie the Pooh, and lack of current small hull molds didn't stop them from selecting the Pirate Bay.  I don't see that as much of a problem.

2 hours ago, Lego David said:

I think that what Lego Ideas doesn't allow is bringing back a set as it was, but that they don't have a problem with projects revisiting ideas (such as the ISS, which was released both as an Ideas set and as a Discovery set in 2003). This Krusty Krab project has nothing in common with the old sets except for the minifigs and the subject matter, so it falls in the later category.