The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

17 hours ago, Legoman123 said:

Hopefully we will get the results of the next Ideas set in April.

We'll get next results not earlier than June

1 hour ago, adwind said:

We'll get next results not earlier than June

That is a shame.  I just hope given Lego making more adult orientated sets now we will see the Futurama Ideas set get through the review stage. 

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I don't see much debate/speculation about which sets will be chosen in the current round. Taking the previous selections into consideration, it seems to me that even if our ability to predict what would be approved is limited, enough of a pattern can be observed to predict with much higher degree of certainty which designs would likely be rejected.

So which sets do you consider as the most and the least likely to be selected in the 3rd 2019 Review?

Very few sets in this batch seem as good candidates, so I will mention only two as the likely ones (and I am not too optimistic about those either).

The most likely to be selected:

Planet Express Delivery Ship - Unless there is some major licensing obstacle, this looks somewhat promising. Wide popular appeal, not too large, swooshable, and a nod to the largely starved non-SW space fans.

The Legend of Zelda: BotW Stables - Normally, I would not bet on it, but it does not raise any obvious red flags.

The least likely to be selected:

Toronto Rocket Subway Train - A train with niche local appeal.

Seinfeld 30th Anniversary - I don't think they would repeat what they did with the Big Bang Theory and the Friends. Besides, the theme has no appeal to the younger audience.

Winter Chalet - This is not going to happen so soon after release of the 10267 Gingerbread House set.

The Huascar - Looks a bit bland, too many parts for what it is, military-related, minimal appeal outside Peru.

I wouldn't be so sure about Seinfeld not getting approved, the show is still going strong and getting lots of viewers through TV reruns (myself included).

Licensing might be a factor though (Friends and Big Bang Theory are both owned by Warner Bros and LEGO has a really good relationship with Warner across a number of IPs so the licensing was probably easier)

I hope and think the aquarium will make it :grin: unsure who else can make it, but Lego have approved more than one lately :shrug_oh_well:

Clockwork Aquarium is the most obvious one to me, but some rounds are so surprising that I wouldn't bet at all

*looks if the mods are sleeping* 

*whispers* Guys I have uploaded my third Ideas project, check it out: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/b6e5c78a-f3e3-481c-bf83-a47f0c3d0cb5 

or go to the EB topic: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/176704-moc-lego-universe-10th-anniversary-tribute/ :poke:

*Ahem, cough* So eh, that Barracuda bay set is pretty cool, huh? :laugh:

On 4/1/2020 at 2:48 AM, Antediluvian said:

Planet Express Delivery Ship - Unless there is some major licensing obstacle, this looks somewhat promising. Wide popular appeal, not too large, swooshable, and a nod to the largely starved non-SW space fans.

The Legend of Zelda: BotW Stables - Normally, I would not bet on it, but it does not raise any obvious red flags.

I think Ratatouille and Legend of Bionicle also have a fairly good chance of getting approved. Ratatouille is Disney, so of course the licensing would be super easy. And Bionicle is an original LEGO theme, so they wouldn't have to license anything. 

Edited by Lego David

On 3/31/2020 at 7:48 PM, Antediluvian said:

3 hours ago, Lego David said:

I think Ratatouille and Legend of Bionicle also have a fairly good chance of getting approved. Ratatouille is Disney, so of course the licensing would be super easy. And Bionicle is an original LEGO theme, so they wouldn't have to license anything. 

I’m personally placing my bets on the Bionicle and Futurama product ideas! Even though Mega Construx previously made Futurama merchandise, their Futurama license has pretty much expired.

After all, 20th Century Studios (now owned by Disney) has worked with LEGO before on The Simpsons. If The Simpsons can get the LEGO treatment, so can Futurama!

As for the Bionicle 20th Anniversary project, this product idea proves that Bionicle can also work in minifigure-scale! Just like those playsets back in 2005-2007, but I think those old minifigure-scale Bionicle playsets must’ve sold unsuccessfully.

I'll admit that the rework of the Pirate Bay project has me hopeful for the Bionicle one. The actual proposal is only okay—I feel like it's a little divorced from Bionicle's aesthetic for my liking, and the variety of scales used limits the compatibility of the figures with one another—but I'll bet that Lego could polish the rough concept of that into a truly special tribute set.

On 4/3/2020 at 2:31 PM, MatthewRC said:

I’m personally placing my bets on the Bionicle and Futurama product ideas! Even though Mega Construx previously made Futurama merchandise, their Futurama license has pretty much expired.

After all, 20th Century Studios (now owned by Disney) has worked with LEGO before on The Simpsons. If The Simpsons can get the LEGO treatment, so can Futurama!

As for the Bionicle 20th Anniversary project, this product idea proves that Bionicle can also work in minifigure-scale! Just like those playsets back in 2005-2007, but I think those old minifigure-scale Bionicle playsets must’ve sold unsuccessfully.

That's exactly what I was thinking regarding Futurama, not to mention how quickly it gained 10,000 supporters, which I believe was around 60 days give or take a few. 

Congrats indeed @povoq ^u^ Lovely design, potentially well-matching with the Pirates of Barracuda Bay as a Castle equivalent!

Fifteen in this review session now. I wasn't sure before, but now I'm reasonably confident this is the largest review session ever. Wonder how they'll handle it...

17 hours ago, toastergrl said:

Congrats indeed @povoq ^u^ Lovely design, potentially well-matching with the Pirates of Barracuda Bay as a Castle equivalent!

Fifteen in this review session now. I wasn't sure before, but now I'm reasonably confident this is the largest review session ever. Wonder how they'll handle it...

This is in the third 2019 review?

Given that they have just approved that Blacksmith Shop (which fits into the "castle" theme) I doubt they are going to approve another one so soon.

20 hours ago, toastergrl said:

With so many projects reaching 10.000 supporters so fast, I wouldn't be surprised if some time in the future they will have to increase the number of supporters needed to get a project to the review stage. Perhaps they will increase it to 15.000 or 20.000 in order to reduce the amount of projects that get to the review stage so fast.

Edited by Lego David

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

With so many projects reaching 10.000 supporters so fast, I wouldn't be surprised if some time in the future they will have to increase the number of supporters needed to get a project to the review stage. Perhaps they will increase it to 15.000 or 20.000 in order to reduce the amount of projects that get to the review stage so fast.

Well it is not necessarily a bad thing for Lego to have more sets to choice from :wink:

33 minutes ago, Roebuck said:

Well it is not necessarily a bad thing for Lego to have more sets to choice from :wink:

No, it's not a bad thing, but if the review seasons are going to get too crowded, that would mean a lot of extra work. So if that were the case, I can see them trying to reduce the number of projects they have to review. 

On 4/6/2020 at 10:49 AM, Legoman123 said:

This is in the third 2019 review?

Nope, sorry for being ambigious; I don't mean the session of projects currently being considered, I mean the session of projects that reach 10k before the start of May, the second 2020 review. I believe there were 12 in the third 2019 review.

On 4/6/2020 at 1:45 PM, Lego David said:

I have a different hunch. They've recently doubled down on the "10,000" signalling - including the new red 10k club highlight next to users' names in the comments and wherever else the username is shown. I think the next change we'll see to the status quo is future projects recieving less days to reach that number, to drop projects like the SpaceX Falcon 9, the recent Snowgroomer, or Retro Bowling Alley which crossed the line with less than a month left. It's not ideal, but it's the most natural way to add a little tightening without damaging the experience for most users.

Has TLG ever detailed what the review consist of?

Because it seems right now LEGO Ideas is the only theme where we can get sets that aren't present day setting

City is present day of course. Same with Ninjago, Hidden Side and from the leaked Monkey Kid figure, we know that theme will be present day as well. Even Creator sets are set on present day.

I wonder if part of the LEGO Ideas review includes "testing" the set with kids. Like showing them pics of the project or something. We know from interviews and such, that these testings play a huge part on whether something becomes an official LEGO product or not. (For instance, they've said they had interest on steampunk stuff but the testing didn't do well and that's why it didn't happen)

Because I wonder why the testing on sets like Pirates Bay and Medieval Blacksmith goes well, and yet TLG can't bring themselves to produce historical themes anymore? 

30 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

- BUILD QUALITY

If the model is big, can it stands on it own?

If the model is a vehicle, can it roll along?

-FEASIBILITY

Can they create the model in a price they can market it for people to buy. 

-PLAYABILITY 

Can it be a great display?

is it fun to play with?

fun to build?

-BRAND FIT

is it suitable for the LEGO group?

-License Opportunity 

Can they acquire the license?

- FUTURE PRODUCTS

Does the model interfere with a product currently in development?

-PRODUCTION 

Do they have enough machines to make the set? 

Enough for Expected Demand 

-STABILITY 

plus many more that they haven’t shared  

Here's a similar concept to the Pirate Bay as submitted that you can vote for if you're bummed out about the new Barracuda.  "The Pirate Wreckers of False Lighthouse Cove" still has a chance.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/63942f57-0165-4704-8b2b-a1258b9e9f73

Now if only Lego would get around to shipping the copy of 21322 I ordered last week ....

4 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Because it seems right now LEGO Ideas is the only theme where we can get sets that aren't present day setting

City is present day of course. Same with Ninjago, Hidden Side and from the leaked Monkey Kid figure, we know that theme will be present day as well. Even Creator sets are set on present day.

I wonder if part of the LEGO Ideas review includes "testing" the set with kids. Like showing them pics of the project or something. We know from interviews and such, that these testings play a huge part on whether something becomes an official LEGO product or not. (For instance, they've said they had interest on steampunk stuff but the testing didn't do well and that's why it didn't happen)

Because I wonder why the testing on sets like Pirates Bay and Medieval Blacksmith goes well, and yet TLG can't bring themselves to produce historical themes anymore? 

This is actually quite interesting question and the first two sets that appeared in mind are Friends and Big Bang Theory. I mean, if they do testing with kids how possible it is that these two sets were "approved" by them? :) And on the other hand, I'm pretty sure that "Food stands" would definitely be kids choice... So I guess they either don't do that kind of thing to Ideas sets or maybe it's just less valuable since Ideas platform is more about AFOLs, right? 

We did get something that definitely counts as sci-fi (and maybe even as "castle" in the eyes of TLG) in the form of Nexo Knights and it didn't do so well.