The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

So... what's the appeal in that set other than the fact that it's based on a popular IP? It's just a bunch of miniscale builds and three minifigures we have gotten already.

Plus, isn't Kingdom of the Crystal Skull also part of the franchise? Shouldn't that movie also be represented there?

I designed it mainly as a set that can serve as a fun display piece for adult Indy fans - similar to the Architecture Skyline series.  I'm also kicking myself since I missed out on the original sets since I was in my dark ages at the time lol. :hmpf_bad: 

Since the 40th anniversary of Indy is next year, I wanted to focus on the classic 80s trilogy.  

2 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Thanks so much!  Clearly there is still a demand for more Indiana Jones sets! :laugh:  If nothing else, I hope LEGO notices that! 

The Savanna Master is excellent, and I've voted for it and shared it with my friends. The Bowling Alley is also quite worthwhile as a concept, although there might be a little bit of a conflict with the Flintstone's bowling pins/ball gimmick. Definitely less convinced by the merit of the Indiana Jones project, in the same vein as Lego David's criticism. I could understand a new approach to a scene from one of the movies featuring modern building techniques and print quality and aimed at AFOLs whilst still providing some play value for kids, but this little series of vignettes perplexes me with respect to the amount of value it provides. Is this something adult fans would be interested in buying in and of itself, or is it just that - much like thenightman89's thoughts - they want more Indiana Jones and are backing what would allow for it?

Of course, congratulations to the creator - getting 10k is a real challenge, and I respect the hustle of anyone who does it in such a short time. It's taken me a year so far to get my project to 91%, and even in the best case scenario it's likely at least another month before all is said and done!

Edited by toastergrl

2 hours ago, thenightman89 said:
4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Thanks so much! Clearly there is still a demand for more Indiana Jones sets! :laugh: If nothing else, I hope LEGO notices that! 

I'm quite certain Lego is planning on reviving the theme next year in some capacity to tie into the cinematic release of the fifth installment. :wink:

1 hour ago, toastergrl said:

The Savanna Master is excellent, and I've voted for it and shared it with my friends.

It's not often you see original "vehicular sculpture" MOCs of a more fantastical nature submitted to LEGO Ideas, and I certainly wasn't expecting to see one inspired after Vincent Gashod's work there... :purrr:

On 2/25/2020 at 3:34 PM, Lego David said:

So... what's the appeal in that set other than the fact that it's based on a popular IP? It's just a bunch of miniscale builds and three minifigures we have gotten already.

Plus, isn't Kingdom of the Crystal Skull also part of the franchise? Shouldn't that movie also be represented there?

The 2 Anubis figures. One of my favourite Lego designs of all time and they cost an insane amount of money now.

Many people didn't like the 4. movie.

Edited by Gorilla94

39 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

The 2 Anubis figures. One of my favourite Lego designs of all time and they cost an insane amount of money now.

I highly doubt LEGO would include them in the finalized set though... The head molds are probably out of production at this point.

Edited by Lego David

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

I highly doubt LEGO would include them in the finalized set though... The head molds are probably out of production at this point.

To be honest... i think if we start voting only for what Lego will probably do with the project, we won't get many ideas up to 10000 in the future. I would have never voted for the terrible final flintstones set for example. I'll vote for the things i like and if Lego ruins it, i wont buy it.

3 minutes ago, Gorilla94 said:

To be honest... i think if we start voting only for what Lego will probably do with the project, we won't get many ideas up to 10000 in the future. I would have never voted for the terrible final flintstones set for example. I'll vote for the things i like and if Lego ruins it, i wont buy it.

Well said!

9 hours ago, Lego David said:

Didn't LEGO reintroduce a part for the Ship-in-a-Bottle Ideas set that hadn't been seen for a number of years?

I really like it. It's a neat tribute to a franchise that's nearing its 40th Anniversary. I could see people who aren't necessarily fans of LEGO wanting this set.

9 hours ago, Tariq j said:

I really like it. It's a neat tribute to a franchise that's nearing its 40th Anniversary. I could see people who aren't necessarily fans of LEGO wanting this set.

Agreed. It's been many years since the last Egypt-like theme, so for the Egyptian part alone I think people will be interested. 

By the way, does anyone here figure we could see further "future product" contests hosted on LEGO Ideas similar to the most recent "Vote for the Next Star Wars UCS" one? I know we had a couple of smaller "Gift-With-Purchase" contests hosted there previously, but never one of that kinda scale from what I'm aware of.

23 hours ago, Lego David said:
On 2/27/2020 at 6:26 AM, Gorilla94 said:

I guess it is surprising that we haven't seen the mold reused for at least a CMF, as that'd be an apt place to revive it... :shrug_confused:

I am not sure about if this is the right place, but i´d like to know your opinion. Could the medieval ideas set (in case Lego doesn´t ruin it and attribute the set warming shelves to the lack of interest in the theme) bring us something like a CC-castle-series?

On 2/29/2020 at 7:53 AM, Gorilla94 said:

I am not sure about if this is the right place, but i´d like to know your opinion. Could the medieval ideas set (in case Lego doesn´t ruin it and attribute the set warming shelves to the lack of interest in the theme) bring us something like a CC-castle-series?

Probably not. The number of Ideas sets that have spun off into full themes is extremely slim—the only one that really comes to mind is Minecraft, unless you count the extensions of other licenses in themes like Dimensions and BrickHeadz. I'm sure if the Ideas set sells phenomenally well Lego might definitely bump up the priority of an in-house castle theme. But even then, I think they'd be hesitant to extrapolate the sales of one premium, adult-targeted set to mean that a much greater production of a full theme with a much broader audience would sell equally well.

That said, I remain convinced that it's really only a matter of time before we get a new castle theme of some sort one way or another. I just don't think that the Ideas set on its own would necessarily move the needle that substantially in terms of when that comes about.

Ecto-1 also brought along a single set (GBHQ) that was 10x the part count. So here's looking at a castle set to complete the blacksmith's house with 10x the part count. Dreaming over ...

I don't know, but isn't a second ideas set from the guy who did the beachhouse coming? If there will be a bunch of medieval modulars under the ideas label with recoloured Cmf parts, i'd be fine with it.

I do think there is a high chance of us getting the Futurama set.  Personally I have wanted this for over a decade now, let’s hope it happens. 

resize:800:450

The wonderful Bricks and Blooms just reached 10k! I believe I may have seen the person responsible for this project on Eurobricks before, but I'm not sure what their username would be here. Either way, congratulations are in order! ^u^

Edited by toastergrl
"seen", not "been"...

17 minutes ago, toastergrl said:

The wonderful Bricks and Blooms just reached 10k! I believe I may have been the person responsible for this project on Eurobricks before, but I'm not sure what their username would be here. Either way, congratulations are in order!

That would be @Bricked1980 you're thinking of... :wink: ...congratulations to him on his first-ever project to achieve support!!! :thumbup: :grin:

6 hours ago, toastergrl said:

The wonderful Bricks and Blooms just reached 10k! I believe I may have been the person responsible for this project on Eurobricks before, but I'm not sure what their username would be here. Either way, congratulations are in order! ^u^

Congratulations to the creator, it is a lovely modular :thumbup:
But since it is a modular it has a snowballs chance in a hot place to make it into a set on ideas :shrug_oh_well:
Maybe one day Lego stop making modulars of there own in creator exspert and instead approve one per year on ideas :tongue:

8 hours ago, toastergrl said:

The wonderful Bricks and Blooms just reached 10k! I believe I may have been the person responsible for this project on Eurobricks before, but I'm not sure what their username would be here. Either way, congratulations are in order! ^u^

Thanks very much, I am over the moon that it has reached 10.000. By the way I am fully expecting your Sonic project will hit 10k within the next couple of days too so good luck! :classic:

8 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

That would be @Bricked1980 you're thinking of... :wink: ...congratulations to him on his first-ever project to achieve support!!! :thumbup: :grin:

Thank you very much much @Digger of Bricks:classic:

19 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

@Bricked1980 Congrats! 

Thanks very much. :classic:

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

Congratulations to the creator, it is a lovely modular :thumbup:
But since it is a modular it has a snowballs chance in a hot place to make it into a set on ideas :shrug_oh_well:
Maybe one day Lego stop making modulars of there own in creator exspert and instead approve one per year on ideas :tongue:

Thank you very much. To be honest I'm just really happy to have made it to 10,000. Whether or not it gets approved is out of my control but I agree, the chances of a modular being approved are slim.

Having said that I did read something online last week... Lego had released a statement regarding the new Creator Fiat 500 set, justifying how it has been released soon after a similar model had been rejected on LEGO Ideas. Here's the link to their statement 

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-fan-talk-fiat-500/96175/

In part of the statement they mention why they allow projects to be submitted to LEGO Ideas even if they could be considered as overlapping with pre-existing themes.

we also try to give our members a certain degree of freedom to submit builds on as broad an array of third-party licenses or original ideas as possible, even when those original ideas are inspired by existing LEGO themes and the scale / expression within which they are based. We do this because we believe that there's a sliver of a chance of something that fits into an existing theme that might just wow us that much and differentiate itself enough, such as the Caterham Seven 620R that was turned into an official LEGO Ideas set a few years ago, despite it thematically sitting within the realm of what the Creator Expert team would do.

So although this statement is relating to the Creator Expert cars theme I guess it could be applied to modular buildings as well. If they were dead set against ever releasing a LEGO IDEAS modular building then surely they wouldn't allow them to be submitted in the first place. Although a modular has never been released under LEGO Ideas in the past, who knows... they might just surprise us if one come along that they like enough.

@Bricked1980 Congratulations buddy! Well deserved! I remember the day you submitted it... ah.. kids grow so fast! :) 

Thank you for interesting article and I hope that your model will surprise them enough! :)

47 minutes ago, adwind said:

@Bricked1980 Congratulations buddy! Well deserved! I remember the day you submitted it... ah.. kids grow so fast! :) 

Thank you for interesting article and I hope that your model will surprise them enough! :)

Thank you very much. :classic: Yes it has taken just over a year to reach 10k.

Thank you very much @Digger of Bricks!! It's been exhausting on some levels but also so exciting at the same time and I'm so glad everything finally worked out - I thought it was gonna be at least another week after Bricked1980, but only a day - incredible to have experienced. On Mar10 day of all days, in fact... the rivalry of SEGA and Nintendo lives strong ^u^