The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

On 10/22/2019 at 7:00 PM, icm said:

The designer video says Neils built about fifty (or was it fifteen?) dinosaur sketch models in the first week after he got the assignment, so I'm sure those included a number of species and build styles that got whittled down to just the best three when it came time to finalize the set.

Looking in the background of the designer video, I spotted two versions of a brachiosaurus and a diplodocus (apatosaurus/brontosaurus?) on his shelves.  Might have to try and reverse engineer them.

This has been quite a year for LEGO Ideas. 2019 has brought us:

- the first year with more than four Ideas sets released (the Dinosaur Fossils set makes at least five)

- the first review with three approvals at once

- the largest, most expensive Ideas set yet (over 3000 pieces in the Treehouse, for $200)

- the first Ideas sets (plural!) to introduce completely new elements

There was a time not so many years ago when many doubted any of these things would happen. Look how far Ideas has come!

On 10/11/2019 at 6:08 AM, Friscorays said:

If Lego can secure licensing for the ship, wouldn't it be safe to assume that they could also secure licensing for a few character minifigures?  I'm not sure what printed pieces / stickers you have in mind, but I imagine Lego designers could add such things if they see fit.

I don’t think they have separate licenses for just the minifigures that come as part of a set of they already have a license for the set.

That said, prior to Dinosaur Fossils, every CUUSOO / Ideas set that’s had minifigures has been based on a CUUSOO / Ideas project (or “product idea”, as they say now) that’s had minifigures, and every CUUSOO / Ideas set that hasn’t had minifigures has been based on a project that didn’t have them, either. They frequently change the number, designs, and specific character assortments of minifigures when translating projects into final sets, but Dinosaur Fossils is the only Ideas set where the original project didn’t include any minifigures but the final set does. It seems to me that generally speaking, if an Ideas project doesn’t use or show any minifigures, then the final set won’t either if it gets approved. But then, Dinosaur Fossils is a brand-new exception to that pattern, showing that if it was a rule before it isn’t one now, so I guess it’s possible a Futurama set based on this project would include minifigures; I just wouldn’t count on it.

The designers of the Planet Express submission stated that they were working on minifigures.  For example when asked about minifigures in the comments section they said  "We hope to finish them soon! Gabriele is working on the head moulds, but they take a lot of time to 3D model."  The submission simply achieved 10k support before they were able to finish the figures.  I think it is a very safe bet that if the set makes it into production, it will include a crew to populate the interior:  Fry, Leela and Bender.

Edited by Friscorays

On 10/25/2019 at 10:04 AM, Friscorays said:

The designers of the Planet Express submission stated that they were working on minifigures.  For example when asked about minifigures in the comments section they said  "We hope to finish them soon! Gabriele is working on the head moulds, but they take a lot of time to 3D model."  The submission simply achieved 10k support before they were able to finish the figures.  I think it is a very safe bet that if the set makes it into production, it will include a crew to populate the interior:  Fry, Leela and Bender.

If this is true, then that's awesome! Maybe in the Sonic Mania project by toastergrl they might include Tails and Knuckles? Who knows... :shrug_oh_well:

Unfortunately, rather than potentially allowing for Tails and Knuckles, that info tells me the Planet Express submission is very unlikely to pass review!

The rules so far have been incredibly airtight: New molds can only be created in a way that can be used in Ideas sets if they have another outlet for release as well that'd foot the tooling budget, ie the Doctor Who set's stuff being used in Dimensions and Steamboat Willie's in the Disney CMF wave 2. Futurama is not a line that's actively being merchandised, so a CMF on the series (since Dimensions is over) has next to no chance of happening...

Also: congrats to the BIONICLE diorama and its designer for reaching 10k! :D

Edited by toastergrl

On 10/4/2019 at 12:10 PM, Lego David said:

Bionicle fans, you are going to love this one:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/9a9b428b-108e-43bd-8b9e-3fdc7e8ec54a

resize:800:450

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas The Legend of the BIONICLE Achieves 10,000 Supporters

The Legend of the BIONICLE: Celebrating 20 years of LEGO stories by Sokoda is the latest project to achieve 10,000 supporters on LEGO Ideas. BIONICLE has been a very popular theme in the community and this project is to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the theme which includes some of the most important scenes from the storyline which includes Tahu’s Arrival, Matoro’s Destiny, and The Final Battle.

The project now joins Queen: I Want to Break Free, Seinfeld 30th Anniversary, The Legend of Zelda: BotW Stables, Planet Express Delivery Ship, Ratatouille: Open The Doors!, and LEGO Typewriter as the projects to reach the Third 2019 Review Stage.

18 hours ago, toastergrl said:

Unfortunately, rather than potentially allowing for Tails and Knuckles, that info tells me the Planet Express submission is very unlikely to pass review!

The rules so far have been incredibly airtight: New molds can only be created in a way that can be used in Ideas sets if they have another outlet for release as well that'd foot the tooling budget, ie the Doctor Who set's stuff being used in Dimensions and Steamboat Willie's in the Disney CMF wave 2. Futurama is not a line that's actively being merchandised, so a CMF on the series (since Dimensions is over) has next to no chance of happening

They don’t necessarily need new moulds. Fry doesn’t need any new moulds, Leela just needs a recolour of a ponytail and a printed one eye on her face, much like the cyclops CMF, Bender could have a silver face with his antenna sticking out of a flattened hat piece. This is one new mould, but would be one they’d use again. Hoping for Zoidberg in a recolour of one of the ninjago movie CMF headpieces. 

1 hour ago, Lego-fire said:

Bender could have a silver face with his antenna sticking out of a flattened hat piece

Bender should have chrome hip piece, AKA shiny metal megablocks :iamded_lol:I know, it would look ridiculous against silver body, but what a way to honor his catchphrase!

EDIT: did the site just censor a.s.s? jeesh

Edited by BenderBrau

10 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

^really, really glad that Bionicle got to 10K! :sweet:

I know right, this could be really promising. 

51 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Big Bang Theory and the Fishing Store both had stickers.

I never picked up the Fishing Store so didn't realise that. I did get the Big Bang Theory set but completely forgot it had two stickers in there! Still, traditionally, Ideas sets I've always seen as more of a premium product, with printed pieces as much a guarantee as they are in Juniors / 4+ sets. The Friends set had some printed pieces but a pretty hefty sticker sheet and now the Dinosaurs set has no new printed pieces and just stickers. Makes me sad... 

With more Ideas sets being released, the limited amount of "changes" (i.e. new prints, recolored parts and such) allocated to Ideas has to be spread over more sets which means they can't necessarily print everything they would like to print.

On 11/3/2019 at 10:41 AM, Cut the Kragle said:

Sorry if this has already been discussed. But is anyone else gutted that we're now seeing stickers instead of printed pieces in Ideas sets?

Same!! :ugh:

12 hours ago, jonwil said:

With more Ideas sets being released, the limited amount of "changes" (i.e. new prints, recolored parts and such) allocated to Ideas has to be spread over more sets which means they can't necessarily print everything they would like to print.

Though it makes sense, for me the guaranteed printed decorations is one the theme's strongest assets and one of the main reasons why I like the theme. I don't apply stickers, so if the set relies on stickers to make it work, I'm not buying. On second thought, I'm not buying a lot of sets anyway, but I usually do order many printed pieces from B&P. 

1 hour ago, mpj said:

Let's give a chance to a Lego Technic model?

Very cool project, but I doubt LEGO would approve it.

13 minutes ago, Lego David said:

Very cool project, but I doubt LEGO would approve it.

I know it will be difficult....:blush:

Do you have any particular reason why they should not approve it, in your opinion?

Just now, mpj said:

Do you have any particular reason why they should not approve it, in your opinion?

Well, it's basically just a Technic set that LEGO could easily make without the help of LEGO Ideas. I would still love to see it approved, though.

1 hour ago, Lego David said:

Well, it's basically just a Technic set that LEGO could easily make without the help of LEGO Ideas. I would still love to see it approved, though.

Yes, but isn't every Lego Ideas set a set that Lego could easily make without the help of Lego Ideas?

Ideas is about things LEGO wouldn't otherwise have made.

LEGO already did a Mack truck and a Mercedes Benz truck so I see no reason why a Scania would get made through Ideas (if they wanted to do another truck from a brand like Scania they would just use their existing relationship with Volkswagen Auto Group and do it that way)

9 hours ago, jonwil said:

Ideas is about things LEGO wouldn't otherwise have made.

LEGO already did a Mack truck and a Mercedes Benz truck so I see no reason why a Scania would get made through Ideas (if they wanted to do another truck from a brand like Scania they would just use their existing relationship with Volkswagen Auto Group and do it that way)

Ok I understand your point. But...

What about the Catheram? Isn't that just a creator car they could have easily made without Lego Ideas?