The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

33 minutes ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Yeah, that;'s not going to make it. I hope he makes the LDD available.  

Is the cockpit canopy piece in existence? 

The canopy is just a couple of 3x6x1 trans yellow slopes cleverly put together.  There's a detail picture of the cockpit module of the prior version on his Flickr, it might be possible to reverse engineer it from that.

5 hours ago, Lego David said:

Bionicle fans, you are going to love this one: 

Holy hell I didn’t know I needed that until now. 

4 hours ago, ToaIruini said:

Holy hell I didn’t know I needed that until now.

If you like it, don't hesitate to give it your support it on LEGO Ideas.

4 hours ago, Friscorays said:

Looks like someone will have the opportunity to be the 10,000th supporter by the end of the week; perhaps even before the start of the weekend.

So the second review period of 2020 Is shaping up as:

— Seinfeld 

— Planet Express

— Zelda

— Bionicle (probably)

???

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

Looks like LEGO Ideas is going under maintenance once again! I wonder what’s in store for LEGO Ideas users now?

Edit: Never mind, it’s back up again.

Edited by MatthewRC

@MatthewRC I love some of the new edits they made! Especially the delete projects button. There are a couple of duplicates on my page from resubmissions and one or two that were less than professional standards that I need to get rid of :) 

On 10/9/2019 at 5:20 PM, Friscorays said:
On 9/6/2019 at 4:40 AM, Another Brick In The Wall said:

PLANET EXPRESS SET - reaches 1,000 votes in almost 3 days. 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/8ca5f24f-48dd-4a18-9b11-ee77193069cc

Looks like someone will have the opportunity to be the 10,000th supporter by the end of the week; perhaps even before the start of the weekend.

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Planet Express Delivery Ship Achieves 10,000 Supporters

resize:800:450

2 hours ago, Hive said:

It's a nice set for sure - but without licensed minifigs and printed pieces/stickers to go with it, I'm not really interested.

If Lego can secure licensing for the ship, wouldn't it be safe to assume that they could also secure licensing for a few character minifigures?  I'm not sure what printed pieces / stickers you have in mind, but I imagine Lego designers could add such things if they see fit.

2 hours ago, Friscorays said:

If Lego can secure licensing for the ship, wouldn't it be safe to assume that they could also secure licensing for a few character minifigures?  I'm not sure what printed pieces / stickers you have in mind, but I imagine Lego designers could add such things if they see fit.

But can they secure such a license?

Mega Construx has been doing some Futurama characters, which is why I fear that the property is locked down. But I'd happily be wrong.

1 hour ago, Hive said:

Mega Construx has been doing some Futurama characters, which is why I fear that the property is locked down. But I'd happily be wrong.

Well, chances are Mega Construx might have lost the Futurama license as there is no aspect of Futurama on Mega Construx’s website.

Either that or Mega’s Futurama license is non-exclusive.

There are several Futurama related submissions on the Lego Ideas site, including one that is over a quarter of the way to 10,000 supporters (https://ideas.lego.com/projects/013962c9-5b98-4225-b975-bd96b65e1cbd).  If Lego knows from the get go that these are non-starters, I would hope they would nip things in the bud and disaprove / remove them before a bunch of people unnecessarily get there hopes up.

13 hours ago, Hive said:

The only place I have seen the Mega Futurama characters recently was at 5 Below. So that license may have faded. 

Dinosaur skeletons set has been revealed.

Color has been changed to white from tan (which I can understand for parts availability reasons). Skeletons have seen a significant re-design and are more bulky instead of the fairly slim technic designs of the original (which again makes sense given the need to make the the designs stand up to the rigorous LEGO standards for sturdiness, playablility etc). Its got stickers rather than printed parts (again I can understand that, they just didn't have the ability to produce them as printed parts given the limited number of "new parts" (recolors/prints/etc) Ideas sets get to have).

My biggest criticism is that they have mostly ignored the dinosaurs in the original submission (like a Stegosaurus and Brachiosaurus) and gone with a T-Rex, Pteranodon and Triceratops (although the Triceratops was in the original submission).

Pretty much all Ideas sets to date have at least captured the intent of the original designer (Women of NASA for example used the same women as the original submission, birds included the same 3 birds suggested by the original submitter and the Research Institute included the same 3 scientist types as the original submission) but this one seems to have deviated too far from the original (mostly due to the selection of the actual dinosaurs to include) for me to be willing to buy one.

EDIT:

Per New Elementary, the set contains no newly-recolored parts and no newly-printed parts (which means they probably didn't have the ability to do any for the set) so that might explain some of the decisions that got made with this set.

Edited by jonwil

On 10/16/2019 at 4:57 PM, jonwil said:

My biggest criticism is that they have mostly ignored the dinosaurs in the original submission (like a Stegosaurus and Brachiosaurus) and gone with a T-Rex, Pteranodon and Triceratops (although the Triceratops was in the original submission).

Worth noting that the original project creator added a pterosaur (albeit a Dimorphodon rather than a Pteranodon) and a Tyrannosaurus rex to the "updates" section of their project in response to persistent comments suggesting/wishing for the project to include a T. rex and a "flying dinosaur". I strongly suspect comments like these, and potentially any boost in support after addressing those comments in the updates, may have factored into the decision about which species to include in the final set.

Another consideration might have been scale — the original models were by the project creator's own omission all scaled differently, but Niels Milan Pedersen seems to have opted for using an approximate 1:32 scale for all three models, which better suits the implied role of the models as a museum exhibit. If this decision was made before or during the process of choosing which species to include, then part of the choice in species may have been to ensure they could look still good together and maintain a decent standard of detail even with that added constraint in place.

Compared to the species chosen for the final set, Brachiosaurus would have been so large as to dwarf any of the others, while Plesiosaurus and Dilophosaurus would have been far too tiny compared to the rest to achieve an adequate level of detail. That leaves Stegosaurus as the only other species from the project's original assortment of suitable size to accompany the other three.

Edited by Aanchir

Its entirely possible they tried design studies of other species internally (Stegosaurus, Brachiosaurus etc) and couldn't come up with a design that met their criteria (available parts, scale, colors, sturdiness etc) and so they went with the ones that actually worked and looked good.

Stegosaurus for example, it may have been difficult to find a part in current use in the right color that worked for the plates on the back.

Or maybe they couldn't find a way to get the neck of Brachiosaurus sturdy enough.

Ideas getting pretty crowded again with 11 for next review stage, and then another 6 achieved 10.000 after that.

While licensed sets aren't really my thing, I can see the appeal/nostalgia for the people enjoy the particular show/movie/game/music etc.

Edited by TeriXeri

The designer video says Neils built about fifty (or was it fifteen?) dinosaur sketch models in the first week after he got the assignment, so I'm sure those included a number of species and build styles that got whittled down to just the best three when it came time to finalize the set.

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I fail to see the appeal of this set but congrats to the creator

Tom Hanks clearly has a great number of friends.