The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

At first, I was a bit saddened that Addams Family  house did not make it as I really would like some type of Victorian house build even if it involves a haunted twist.   I am also very hopeful for the Haunted Mansion in the next round.  It may may have a decent chance due to the following:

(1) No Addams Family house means no direct competition due to a similar theme and scope.  I dont think that the Hidden Side series would be similar enough to cannibalize sales either

(2) Similar to Sesame Street, the Magic Kingdom Haunted House is near its 50th anniversary.  I am sure Lego and Disney are both aware of the timing and understand the benefit of releasing on an anniversary (looking at you Apollo 11).  Also, the Magic Kingdom is the most visited park, therefore more people are likely to be familiar with the Orlando version.  

(3) There is obviously a lot of interest out there for a Haunted Mansion build, and it would not surprise me if it was already under consideration despite the Ideas set going into review

(4) It would be difficult for the design to get shot down in review and then have Lego/Disney introduce it within a couple of years.  There would be an outcry that the Ideas set was "stolen" .  I think this is exactly why Steamboat Willie was approved.  Really hoping the same thing happens with the Haunted Mansion

Edited by AFOLguy1970

I'd also like to see more Halo LEGO's. I saw a LEGO Halo online game once in a magazine of Game Informer and I have never actually heard of it's rumors still. It was 9 or so years ago. It'd be nice to see them make original LEGO character signature figures.

5 hours ago, Viper Knight said:

I'd also like to see more Halo LEGO's. I saw a LEGO Halo online game once in a magazine of Game Informer and I have never actually heard of it's rumors still. It was 9 or so years ago. It'd be nice to see them make original LEGO character signature figures.

Halo is deemed an inappropriate theme for the LEGO brand. 

Another project from the creator of The Pirate Bay ......wow, just wow. 

The Train Station: Studgate

resize:800:450resize:800:450resize:800:450

3 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Halo is deemed an inappropriate theme for the LEGO brand.

And Mega Construx currently make Halo sets too.

Nice though that station is, I can't see it being made into an actual set (it relies on several long-discontinued parts and unlike some Ideas sets, these parts aren't ones that can easily be substituted with other things that are still in production)

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

Nice though that station is, I can't see it being made into an actual set (it relies on several long-discontinued parts and unlike some Ideas sets, these parts aren't ones that can easily be substituted with other things that are still in production)

Which are the discontinued pieces? The dome pieces?

The clear dome pieces, the other big clear pieces and also the pieces at both ends next to where the big clear pieces are.

@Viper Knight, this isn't the right thread to wishlist about Halo licenses.  There are dedicated wishlist threads for that in the Licensed forum.  Nor is it the right thread to wishlist about themes like space mercenaries and the parts for them.  This thread is about Ideas projects and products.  I don't understand what the second and third lines of your last post mean, but they're clearly irrelevant to this thread.

Back on topic - 

That train station is big, but like many Ideas projects implemented as digital builds it relies too heavily on long-obsolete parts in colors that were never produced.  All the big glass pieces and the big tan arches fit that description.  As a rule, I don't support projects like that, because it shows the designer isn't thinking realistically about production and any retail version would necessarily be drastically redesigned.

2 hours ago, icm said:

Back on topic - 

That train station is big, but like many Ideas projects implemented as digital builds it relies too heavily on long-obsolete parts in colors that were never produced.  All the big glass pieces and the big tan arches fit that description.  As a rule, I don't support projects like that, because it shows the designer isn't thinking realistically about production and any retail version would necessarily be drastically redesigned.

I respectfully disagree on this point. Since we are not privy to TLG’s internal hurdle rates, we should never take that business side of things into consideration. 

TLG “in production” parts inventory is always in flux and the introduction of new parts, leads to new opportunities else

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

5 hours ago, icm said:

That train station is big, but like many Ideas projects implemented as digital builds it relies too heavily on long-obsolete parts in colors that were never produced. 

2 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

I respectfully disagree on this point. Since we are not privy to TLG’s internal hurdle rates, we should never take that business side of things into consideration. 

With the Ship in a Bottle set, part 6002 6x6x9 trans-clear wall panel (used to make the top of the bottle) had not appeared in any sets since 2001. In the designer video, they said they pleaded with Lego management to reintroduce the part because it was so critical to the design.  So yes, it is perfectly possible for out-of-production parts to reappear.

However, I don't think an Ideas project should rely on too many out-of-production parts or require too many part recolours. Each Lego set only gets a limited budget for "new" parts and colour combos. So to maximise the chance of passing review, a design should stick to the current Lego parts palette as much as possible.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:54 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

Hmmmm, realistically, I'm guessing JKBrickworks' Pursuit of Flight and Namirob's Medieval Blacksmith are the two best contenders, as JK's submissions are always a perfect fit for the LEGO Ideas portfolio, while the Blacksmith's Shop would be of architectural interest to those who may have bought @Robenanne's Old Fishing Store (not to mention, it'd especially be of interest for Classic Castle fans). Admittedly though, my favorite project in this review is the Dwarves' Cottage; but, due to its close similarities to the Blacksmith's, it'd be better if the honor went to the more original, non-IP one of the two if they were to give Castle fans a little something. 

31cf8ca3-0a48-4052-a8f6-7730d06ff2c9-Projects_in_Review.jpg

My assessment of next round

UCS Space Shuttle Atlantis --  City Space (also heavily NASA influenced) has not sold well.  

Thunderbirds Are Go -- I would love it, but too niche. 

Pursuit of Flight -- The most original project and originality points seem to count plenty in green-lighting a project these days . 

History Museum -- Every Creator Modular inspired project has, so far, been rejected. 

The Office -- An Office project was rejected in the previous round. While this is the superior build, the license is apparently held by a clone company. 

Medieval Blacksmith --  This could be to the Castle theme what The Pirate Bay was for Pirates theme. It's an impressive build but lacks the "Wow" factor.  

Winnie The Pooh  -- Neat set that is only likely if new molds for minifigs can be avoided.  

NASA spacecraft --  Excuse my bluntness, but Real LEGO Space is boring. 

The Haunted Mansion 50th Anniversary --  It's a lovely project, but a set based on a fun park attraction is a bit too niche. 

The Seven Dwarfs Home -- I am truly enamored by this set, but it seems something Disney would resist. I wouldn't be surprised if it is released under another theme in a couple of years,  like Gingerbread House and Jurassic Park were.   

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Here's a rather nicely-executed Ideas project submitted yesterday by MiniBrick Productions... :classic:

Sweet,  and supported :classic: Though I can't help but feel a Tintin set should be focused on something a little more iconic, like the moon rocket or the shark submarine.

Not sure if mentioned earlier in the thread but there is another Mystery Shack that warrants some consideration.

Also..  I see 10,000 classic space sets yet none are rising to the top. Someone needs to submit  something undeniable.

4 minutes ago, Gomek said:

Not sure if mentioned earlier in the thread but there is another Mystery Shack that warrants some consideration.

Ya mean this one? :wink:

On 9/27/2019 at 8:56 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

By the way, since the removal and archival of @figura's Gravity Falls project from this review that has just wrapped up, someone's just submitted another Mystery Shack project of their own. Unlike Figura's, it's a digital build rather than a physical one, and I think the shack's roofline pitch is not quite as accurate to the source material, but its interior is a bit more detailed and nicely done...

LEGO Ideas - Lego Gravity Falls: Mystery Shack by Dille50

resize:1600:900

I would love to see more proper Space sets (classic or otherwise) to go along with the Exo-Suit (and some recent non-Ideas things like the Spaceship Spaceship SPACESHIP! and the Space Squad)

Too bad LEGO seems unwilling to take a risk on anything that might in some way harm sales of the overpriced crap that is Star Wars...

3 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

I am actually quite fond of Euclides Sector II (also from the creator of The Pirate Bay)

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f4f93d41-e14f-457d-8adf-995afa9874fe

Don't forget Pete Reid's Galaxy Explorer too! :wink:

On 10/12/2018 at 7:03 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

This project really needs to make it to 10,000 supporters. Peter Reid of Exo-Suit fame has just submitted his own rendition of Lego's Galaxy Explorer to Ideas!!! :purrr:

LEGO Ideas - LL497 Galactic Explorer by Peter Reid 

5792742-o_1cpaqphdrnl0jm61g7q1o5ldh1d-th

yeah, I like the ships. I'm not sure I need a massive space station though (as I already have a few too many of those)

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Don't forget Pete Reid's Galaxy Explorer too! :wink:

I certainly don't forget it but, considering how slowly the people are giving their support, I begin to fear that this masterpiece is not going to reach the next milestone. If there is this lack of interest then maybe Lego could be right in ignoring the Space theme, pretending it never existed or not celebrating its anniversary. 

8 hours ago, astral brick said:

I certainly don't forget it but, considering how slowly the people are giving their support, I begin to fear that this masterpiece is not going to reach the next milestone. If there is this lack of interest then maybe Lego could be right in ignoring the Space theme, pretending it never existed or not celebrating its anniversary. 

Yeah, that;'s not going to make it. I hope he makes the LDD available.  

Is the cockpit canopy piece in existence? 

On 9/30/2019 at 10:01 AM, AFOLguy1970 said:

(4) It would be difficult for the design to get shot down in review and then have Lego/Disney introduce it within a couple of years.  There would be an outcry that the Ideas set was "stolen" .  I think this is exactly why Steamboat Willie was approved.  Really hoping the same thing happens with the Haunted Mansion

There have been several IDEAS sets that have reached 10,000 votes, not approved for and then introduced further down the road in different themes.  

• Jurassic Park/ T-Rex
  • Gingerbread House 
  • Ghostbuster's Firehouse. 
  • Monster Fighters Haunted House (???)