The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Very glad about Pirate Bay, hope it will be an awesome set.

Also kinda looking forward to Sesame Street - might be a decent parts pack (don't care for the IP at all, though).

I have no real opinion regarding the Piano.

On 9/25/2019 at 7:10 AM, jonwil said:

Interesting that Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are not allowed even though they haven't done anything with that license since the Dimensions packs in 2015 (so it's not denied because its an "active license") and its never had an Ideas project (so its not denied because its already had an Ideas set).

LEGO Dimensions is the last thing they did with the Middle-Earth license, and it’s “kinda, sorta” still going in a way.

There are three “sets” - specifically, Blu-ray packages for the first three LEGO Movies (The LEGO Movie, The LEGO Batman Movie, and The LEGO Ninjago Movie) bundled with the first bag from the LEGO Dimensions Starter Packs (which contains the minifigures of Wyldstyle, Batman... and Gandalf). These were released earlier this year, and can still be found in some stores, soooo... it’s still possible, even now in 2019, to go into a Walmart and buy a LEGO thing that includes a Gandalf minifigure. LEGO Lord of the Rings yet lives!!!

:tongue: :grin:

On 9/13/2019 at 8:30 AM, NathanR said:

@Digger of Bricks The IP list is searchable only through the first step of a project submission, so unfortunately you need an account with Lego Ideas (though I think if you have an account with the Lego shop, you should already be registered). The full list is not visible though, you have to type the first few letters then properties get suggested to you.

Macross is allowed, I would have never imagined it. The sadness is increasing now.

Miyazaki IPs: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind and Future Boy Conan not even mentioned, Laputa Castle in the Sky, Totoro, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke allowed; Howl's Moving Castle and Ponyo not included in the list, Spirited Away allowed (!).

Grendizer, Mazinger Z, Daitarn 3, Voltes V and Gundam are surprisingly allowed; Evangelion not allowed.

Hokuto No Ken (Fist of the North Star) no, Saint Seya yes.

Akira not allowed, Ghost in the Shell not mentioned.

Dragon Ball Z and One Piece not allowed, Naruto admitted.

Captain Tsubasa and Astro Boy not on the list.

Lupin III not allowed.

Leiji Matsumoto IPs: Space Battleship Yamato and Galaxy Express 999 not on the list, Captain Harlock allowed (!).

Gatchaman allowed (!), Yattaman not mentioned.

M.a.s.k. not allowed, Starcom not mentioned.

Mario Bros no (?), The Legend of Zelda yes.

Street Fighter no, The King of Fighter not present, Metal Slug allowed.

League of Legends and Starcraft yes, Warcraft not mentioned.

Final Fantasy and The Witcher not allowed.

Tetris, Pac Man, Mega Man, Sonic, Metroid, Bomberman, Myst (!) allowed

Tony Hawk and Gran Turismo allowed.

Monument Valley allowed (!).

Edited by astral brick
Supplement

The Pirate Bay might be interesting to sit alongside my reissue Black Seas Barracuda and as a source of neat parts (the Old Fishing Store ended up as a source of neat parts, hopefully The Pirate Bay does the same. And just like the Fishing Store was filled with all things fishing and nautical, hopefully The Pirate Bay gets filled with all things pirate (including some nice treasure).

The piano I will reserve judgement on until they actually reveal what "playable" means in the final set (it got delayed presumably so they could figure that part out)

But as long as they dont screw it up somehow and as long as they include a decent set of figs 123 Sesame Street is a must-buy for me just because of how awesome the show is (or at least was until HBO got their hands on it and ruined it)

Does anybody an idea of how long it takes between approval announcement and release of an Ideas set? Case in point: a rough ETA for the Pirate Bay?

14 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Does anybody an idea of how long it takes between approval announcement and release of an Ideas set? Case in point: a rough ETA for the Pirate Bay?

I would expect six months to a year, but it depends on model complexity, and if they have changed the behind-the-scenes approval process.  When Saturn V got announced, it was over a year before it hit the shelves due to the model's complexity.  And Voltron got delayed a review period, and then several months, almost getting cancelled completely because the designer struggled to make it satisfy Lego's design guidelines.

Ah okay, thanks. I read some comments of "wow, might be later this year", and found it pretty optimistic.

This IPs search engine is gold. In relation to music enquiries, among the quoted bands:

Not allowed:

Megadeth

Motorhead

Nirvana

Black Sabbath

Allowed:

The White Stripes

Green Day

Metallica: rotfl!

20 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Playable Piano was technically from the previous review period. 

Like the Playable Piano, no one's yet mentioned that the AnatoMini project from this review has carried over to the following review stage...

resize:1600:900

This year has already seen four Ideas sets - The Flintstones, “Steamboat Willie”, the Treehouse, and Friends’ Central Perk - tying 2019 with most recent years (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) for the year with the most Ideas sets, a maximum of four. Hiwever, we’ve seen Ideas grow by leaps and bounds, in the range of subject matter as well as the size and price sets can be (and even that maximum number of sets a year has grown, from just one or two back in the early CUUSOO days). Heck, we even just saw them approve three at once, for the first time ever. Could they also be ready to do more than four sets a year?

Thanks to @Robert8, I now know a very piratey-looking minifigure head was leaked two months ago (!), and this year is the 30th anniversary of LEGO Pirates as a theme. The former suggests the Pirate Bay might be closer to being done than we’d guess, while the latter offers a notable marketing “hook” to tie a release to (like how the first Ghostbusters set, itself an Ideas set, was perfectly timed for the 30th anniversary of the original 1984 film, and marked on the box as being part of the 30th anniversary celebration). I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Pirate Bay (or whatever the final set winds up being called) released sometime in the next three months, commemorating the 30-year milestone of one of LEGO’s most beloved themes.

But wait - Sesame Street also marks an anniversary this year, and it’s a big one - the 50th. It seems like it would take a while, particularly if it’s going to involve new molds, as so many here appear to think it must (personally I think the original project shows how the Muppet characters can actually be realized acceptably effectively using existing elements, though I agree that of all approved Ideas sets ever, this is the one that would most benefit from new molds), but... what if it was internally actually approved a while ago, and is already pretty far along?

Is there any chance two sets as large as Pirate Bay and 123 Sesame Street (or whatever they wind up being called) could both come out in the next three months? Could 2019 be a six-set year for Ideas??

By the way, since the removal and archival of @figura's Gravity Falls project from this review that has just wrapped up, someone's just submitted another Mystery Shack project of their own. Unlike Figura's, it's a digital build rather than a physical one, and I think the shack's roofline pitch is not quite as accurate to the source material, but its interior is a bit more detailed and nicely done...

LEGO Ideas - Lego Gravity Falls: Mystery Shack by Dille50

resize:1600:900

The Sesame Street set looks kind of cool, but the Muppets with non-molded heads are going to look really bad and cheap.

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Im shocked that "Anatomini" project is still being considered.... 

I'm not, I think it's a great idea!  I imagine the only reason for the delay is that (like the piano) it's really complex and the Lego designers are not yet convinced they can actually make it in a way that fits the Lego set quality guidelines.

Every set that passed review was one I was personally invested in to some degree or another, so I'm very happy with this result. :D

8 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

This year has already seen four Ideas sets - The Flintstones, “Steamboat Willie”, the Treehouse, and Friends’ Central Perk - tying 2019 with most recent years (2014, 2015, 2016, 2018) for the year with the most Ideas sets, a maximum of four. Hiwever, we’ve seen Ideas grow by leaps and bounds, in the range of subject matter as well as the size and price sets can be (and even that maximum number of sets a year has grown, from just one or two back in the early CUUSOO days). Heck, we even just saw them approve three at once, for the first time ever. Could they also be ready to do more than four sets a year?

Thanks to @Robert8, I now know a very piratey-looking minifigure head was leaked two months ago (!), and this year is the 30th anniversary of LEGO Pirates as a theme. The former suggests the Pirate Bay might be closer to being done than we’d guess, while the latter offers a notable marketing “hook” to tie a release to (like how the first Ghostbusters set, itself an Ideas set, was perfectly timed for the 30th anniversary of the original 1984 film, and marked on the box as being part of the 30th anniversary celebration). I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Pirate Bay (or whatever the final set winds up being called) released sometime in the next three months, commemorating the 30-year milestone of one of LEGO’s most beloved themes.

But wait - Sesame Street also marks an anniversary this year, and it’s a big one - the 50th. It seems like it would take a while, particularly if it’s going to involve new molds, as so many here appear to think it must (personally I think the original project shows how the Muppet characters can actually be realized acceptably effectively using existing elements, though I agree that of all approved Ideas sets ever, this is the one that would most benefit from new molds), but... what if it was internally actually approved a while ago, and is already pretty far along?

Is there any chance two sets as large as Pirate Bay and 123 Sesame Street (or whatever they wind up being called) could both come out in the next three months? Could 2019 be a six-set year for Ideas??

Unfortunately neither three will be out in 2019 as the Dinosaur Fossil project will be the next ideas set to release. 

Just now, 7982Brick said:

Unfortunately neither three will be out in 2019 as the Dinosaur Fossil project will be the next ideas set to release. 

Do we know when that’s coming? Ideas projects have leapfrogged one another before...

39 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Do we know when that’s coming? Ideas projects have leapfrogged one another before...

November/December 

On 9/27/2019 at 6:40 AM, astral brick said:

Gatchaman allowed (!), Yattaman not mentioned.

Gatchaman was a pretty dark anime, which was heavily edited when screened in the United States (under a different brand). I guess we should not expect TLG to be intimately familiar with every IP but yeah.  I am guess they based their decision on the American show and not the Japanese original.

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

1 hour ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Gatchaman was a pretty dark anime, which was heavily edited when screened in the United States (under a different brand). I guess we should not expect TLG to be intimately familiar with every IP but yeah.  I am guess they based their decision on the American show and not the Japanese original.

Battle of The Planets, right? Now there is a Lego set I would buy instantly. 

1 hour ago, Retro said:

Battle of The Planets, right? Now there is a Lego set I would buy instantly. 

There was a Gatchaman IDEA projects that barely scrapped together 250 votes. The builds were average but  minifigs were amazing. 

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall