The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

Nice video, quite some insights. :thumbup:

Lots of Nintendo stuff seems to be allowed. As is "Kingdom Hearts" - which would have some great potential in Lego form in my opinion!

I would love to see Kingdom hearts in Lego! Or most anything video game at least. 

31 minutes ago, ToaIruini said:

I would love to see Kingdom hearts in Lego! Or most anything video game at least. 

I just think that the crossover nature of KH would suit itself well to a Lego adaptation - and a vast selection of Disney minifigs is already around. There was also this little spaceship in the first KH game that was built from blocks, so the videogame tied in to Lego from the very beginning.

Oh, the possibilities!

18 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Looks like @just2good decided to toy around with this new IP search feature for the fun of it...

Thanks for sharing! Being able to check where surely not to invest your time in is very useful indeed. I had a look myself, here's what I found:

So, as expected, non-active previous LEGO IPs are allowed, i.e.:

• Bionicle
  • Dimensions
  • Galidor :grin:
  • Jack Stone :tongue:
  • Drome Racers
  • Islands Extreme Stunts
  • Lamborghini, Mercedes (but not Aston Martin, Bugatti, Caterham, Chevrolet, Ferrari, Ford, Mclaren, Volkswagen, Volvo)

Some active  IPs are allowed:

• Ninjago
  • Nexo Knights
  • Creator (Expert)
  • Speed Champions
  • Architecture
  • Technic

As an anime fan, I of course searched some titles:

Allowed: 

• Fairy Tail
  • Gundam
  • Macross 
  • Hatsune Miku
  • Porco Rosso
  • Castle in the Sky
  • My Neigbor Totoro 

Not allowed:

• Fullmetal Alchemist
  • My Hero Academia 
  • One Piece :sad: (I had a project planned for this...)
  • Attack on Titan
  • Sword Art Online
  • Code Geass
  • Neon Genesis Evangelion 

Movie and game licenses are outside my expertise, so I haven't looked into them all that much. Anyway, very useful indeed! :grin:

Edited by Exetrius

Since a new Avatar, the Last Airbender, will have new shows coming to Netflix maybe next year and presumably will significantly renew interest in the series, is the license available - I can't check?

17 hours ago, JGW3000 said:

Since a new Avatar, the Last Airbender, will have new shows coming to Netflix maybe next year and presumably will significantly renew interest in the series, is the license available - I can't check?

Yes I just checked for you it's a usable IP.

The IP checker is interesting although its clear there are things on the "allowed" list that would probably be rejected as "inappropriate for LEGO" should a project get to review stage. Avatar (the James Cameron blockbuster with the blue people) is listed as "allowed" but considering the main story is all about the military going to a foreign land (planet in this case) to wipe out the native species and strip mine the place I can't see it being approved (then again, if Disney thinks its OK for its theme parks maybe it's OK for LEGO as well). Downton Abby is listed but I suspect it would probably violate the rules about religion.

Very interesting tool. Useful not only for submitting projects but also getting an idea where the company stands with certain brands. Going through their library of inactive IPs it looks like they're accepting submissions for more than half of them.

Allowed

• Beetlejuice
  • Bob the Builder
  • DC Superhero Girls
  • Indiana Jones
  • Knight Rider
  • Mission Impossible
  • Pirates of the Caribbean
  • Portal
  • Scooby Doo
  • Sonic the Hedgehog
  • SpongeBob SquarePants
  • The A-Team
  • The Goonies
  • The Lone Ranger
  • The PowerPuff Girls
  • The Simpsons
  • Thomas the Tank Engine

Not Allowed

• Adventure Time
  • Back to the Future
  • Doctor Who
  • Ghostbusters
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • The Hobbit
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • The Wizard of Oz

Not Yet Evaluated

• Gremlins
  • Prince of Persia

Edited by wesker

1 hour ago, wesker said:

Not Allowed

• Adventure Time
  • Back to the Future
  • Doctor Who
  • Ghostbusters
  • The Big Bang Theory
  • The Hobbit
  • The Lord of the Rings
  • The Wizard of Oz 

The bolded ones all entered through the Ideas system, which is why they are blacklisted. No Ideas IPs appear on the allowed list.

So yeah, the opportunity for people to revive their favorite themes is right in front of them,  yet they don't even take notice.

Interesting that Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are not allowed even though they haven't done anything with that license since the Dimensions packs in 2015 (so it's not denied because its an "active license") and its never had an Ideas project (so its not denied because its already had an Ideas set).

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

Interesting that Hobbit and Lord of the Rings are not allowed even though they haven't done anything with that license since the Dimensions packs in 2015 (so it's not denied because its an "active license") and its never had an Ideas project (so its not denied because its already had an Ideas set).

It is denied because it is an active license - LEGO still have LOTR/Hobbit on their list of active licenses (as of 9 Sep 2019).

https://legoideas.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/356076-license-conflicts-and-resolutions

We might consider it no longer active, but LEGO still considers it active.

3 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Planet Express Delivery Ship

is on track to be the fastest project to 10K.....ever! 

Minecraft did it in just under 48 hours.

2 hours ago, MAB said:

Minecraft did it in just under 48 hours.

Thanks for the correction. Serves me right for repeating for something without fact-checking. 

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

I'm not even a fan of Futurama, but that model looks great. Here is the Ideas page of the project.

Even the stand is fantastic. I can't see LEGO replicating it in an actual set though.. 

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

Woohoo!!! So glad Pirate Bay has made the cut :classic::classic::classic:

Also the Piano. Really interested to see how these sets turn out once the Lego designers have worked their magic on them.

Three approvals in one review - a new record! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Congrats to the creators of the Pirate Bay, Playable Piano, and Sesame Street projects!

44 minutes ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Winnie the Pooh and Seven Dwarves were both better sets, but I can understand why they gave the nod to Sesame Street instead. 

Those sets were not in this review.

47 minutes ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Playable Piano was technically from the previous review period. 

I know; that’s why I noted there were three approvals in one review, but not in one review batch.

Technically, the first batch to have three approved projects came about a good five years ago, with the First 2014 Review batch, which ultimately yielded Birds, The Big Bang Theory, and Doctor Who - three approved projects, out of a batch of six, so fully half! However, only the first two of those were approved in the actual First 2014 review; there were actually two different but very similar Doctor Who projects in it that were both held for further consideration, and one of them (Doctor Who and Companions, by Andrew Clark) was ultimately approved in the subsequent review, alongside Angus MacLane’s WALL•E.

That batch was, therefore, the first one to yield three approvals, but that review yielded “only” two (though that was also a first). This review is the first review to yield three - but not the first batch to do so, both because that earlier batch already did it and because these three didn’t actually all come from the same batch.

There has yet to be a batch / review from which three (or more) ideas from the same batch are all approved at once. But we have already had one batch from which we got three approvals, and now we also have one review from which we got three approvals. I think both milestones are worth noting.

:classic: