The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

still, I would suspect that Thunderbirds imagery nowadays brings more memories of Team America: World Police, than Thunderbirds itself

Edited by anothergol

On 9/2/2019 at 1:39 PM, Faefrost said:

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/80169e60-7cf7-4dec-b51c-2f21d3051747

so betting odds on what will see production from this round? 

I’m actually leaning towards Thunderbird 2. Not that it’s the best build. Both the Haunted Mansion and the Snow White 7 Dwarves house would sell like gangbusters. But it feels like LEGO already has an active Creator Expert Disney subtheme. Which would probably eliminate the 3 Disney sets from consideration. The UCS Shuttle is gorgeous, but a subject they have done as an advanced D2C set before. The others seem a bit niche. 

I’m surprised we didn’t already get a Disney Haunted Mansion D2C set this year. But of the original New Orleans style from Disneyland. It’s the 50th Anniversary. 

Hmmmm, realistically, I'm guessing JKBrickworks' Pursuit of Flight and Namirob's Medieval Blacksmith are the two best contenders, as JK's submissions are always a perfect fit for the LEGO Ideas portfolio, while the Blacksmith's Shop would be of architectural interest to those who may have bought @Robenanne's Old Fishing Store (not to mention, it'd especially be of interest for Classic Castle fans). Admittedly though, my favorite project in this review is the Dwarves' Cottage; but, due to its close similarities to the Blacksmith's, it'd be better if the honor went to the more original, non-IP one of the two if they were to give Castle fans a little something. 

31cf8ca3-0a48-4052-a8f6-7730d06ff2c9-Projects_in_Review.jpg

16 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Hmmmm, realistically, I'm guessing JKBrickworks' Pursuit of Flight and Namirob's Medieval Blacksmith are the two best contenders, as JK's submissions are always a perfect fit for the LEGO Ideas portfolio, while the Blacksmith's Shop would be of architectural interest to those who may have bought @Robenanne's Old Fishing Store (not to mention, it'd especially be of interest for Classic Castle fans). Admittedly though, my favorite project in this review is the Dwarves' Cottage; but, due to its close similarities to the Blacksmith's, it'd be better if the honor went to the more original, non-IP one of the two if they were to give Castle fans a little something. 

I somewhat agree with you. Although Pursuit of Flight has a market niche problem. It's a fantastic MOC, But I fear it wouldn't have a clear market segment. It's an interesting desk toy. So yeah minimal production run of 5000 never to be heard from again. The Medievel Blacksmith is interesting. We are overdue for a nice fantasy Castle type bulding. But it would probably be paired down quite a bit. 

The sad thing is any of the three Disney sets would sell like gangbusters. 50,000-100,000 production run easy. 

Not sure a project based on a music video featuring the members of Queen in drag is a good fit for the LEGO brand. Of course if by some miracle LEGO does decide to turn it into a set, I will be at the LEGO store day one to buy it since I love all things Queen :)

On 9/4/2019 at 8:54 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

I will say Haunted Mandion has a better chance. Monster themes are popular, the attraction is iconic and popular plus it is its anniversary.

The Blacksmith is an amazing build but not sure how popular it would be.

I can see the Persuit of Flight being a second selected project since it is small and can be a low run.

Not sure how the Dwarve’s Cottage would fit with an existing Disney Princess Line.

Edited by Chiaroscuro

Well, that's a shame.  You're probably right, since the submitter carefully left out any reference to Futurama, which is a pretty disingenuous thing to do, to be honest.  

Anyhow, as far as the projects currently in review, even though I am big fan of The Office I hope it doesn't get made into a set only because LEGO IDEAS is going to be inundated by every TV show in existence. 

That said, the 30th ANNIVERSARY SEINFELD set is very close to 10,000 votes and is a certainty to hit the shelves following the success of the Friends set. 

3 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

PLANET EXPRESS SET - reaches 1,000 votes in almost 3 days. 

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/8ca5f24f-48dd-4a18-9b11-ee77193069cc

Currently it is only 945 votes, so hasn't reached 1000 yet.

It is nice but without minifigures to go with it, it seems somewhat pointless. Especially when they use the character names as tags to get people to look.

So just about how likely is the Haunted Mansion set to be approved? I have a strict budget for lego and and I would like to start putting aside money for it now, about a fall 2020 release probably? 

On 9/6/2019 at 8:06 AM, Another Brick In The Wall said:

Anyhow, as far as the projects currently in review, even though I am big fan of The Office I hope it doesn't get made into a set only because LEGO IDEAS is going to be inundated by every TV show in existence. 

I would gladly welcome a set for that 70s show :grin:

I dont think it will pass

Its too big

Its a Disney set. There are chances they are already planning one for a DC2

There is already a horror line: Hidden Side

On 9/9/2019 at 12:54 PM, Robert8 said:

I dont think it will pass

Its too big

Its a Disney set. There are chances they are already planning one for a DC2

There is already a horror line: Hidden Side

The only thing that would surprise me is if Haunted Mansion did not pass review AND Disney does not release one as a D2C.  If they reject the Ideas submission, there could be a decent possibility that Lego will release the set in the Disneyland version.  That would eliminate the suspicion that they are "stealing" the Ideas version.  Needless to say, I would buy either version if it came out.  If the mansion is not produced either way, that would be a missed opportunity by both Lego and Disney.  If done right, I think its popularity would give even the castle a run for its money.  

The Office Ideas project will be rejected because another company (a toy manufacturer that I have never heard of before called PhatMojo) acquired the license. The substandard 369 piece set is going for a whopping 120 USD!

Given the length of the show is being in hiatus, it is too much of a coincidence that the acquisition of the license is not related to the IDEAS project reaching 10,000 votes.

TLG needs to drastically expedite the IDEAS process because other projects are going to suffer the same fate.

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

I dont think The Office would have made anywhere near as good an Ideas set as Big Bang Theory or Central Perk.  Sienfield could definitely work IMO (

Looking at what's on Ideas in the "licensed" category there are some projects on there that (if they hit 10k) will be rejected fairly quickly I suspect. Hero Quest for example, not only are the rights owned Hasbro IIRC but LEGO tried something similar with Heroica and it didn't work. Or like the WWF/WWE projects I see (does LEGO want to assiociate itself with all the controversy that goes with pro wrestling?). Or the NFL football (how many kids or even adults would buy such a thing even in the US rather than just buying an actual football)

Other projects seem too specific to a certain town or area to be viable projects (given that Ideas projects need to have some level of global appeal). Something like the Toronto subway cars, how many LEGO fans know what a Toronto subway car looks like or would be interested in a model of one? Or that Wish Bus, is that known outside of whatever location the radio station it seems to be tied to is from?

But if I look at all the licensed projects, the one that I am most suprised was even allowed is the Commodore 64 project (clearly the LEGO team doesn't know what the project is actually proposing otherwise they would have pulled it down already given what would be required to actually put real hardware or even emulation/simulation/whatever powers those "retro C64" things into the LEGO shell)

My point is that nothing is preventing other construction brick manufacturers from getting the Seinfeld license now, thus, making an otherwise excellent project ineligible. 

In other words, LEGO IDEAS is free market research for other construction brick companies and the fact that the review process is so protracted, means there is very little they can do about it. 

EDIT: The only solution is that a project is reviewed immediately after it reaches 10K votes. It makes very little sense for projects to be reviewed en masse, since the decision to market a particular project no longer depends on other projects.  e.g. in some view periods multiple projects are selected, some are held over for further review, and theoretically no projects may be selected. 

Edited by Another Brick In The Wall

2 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

The Office Ideas project will be rejected because another company (a toy manufacturer that I have never heard of before called PhatMojo) acquired the license. The substandard 369 piece set is going for a whopping 120 USD!

Funko does The Office as well, so it's most likely not exlusive

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

But if I look at all the licensed projects, the one that I am most suprised was even allowed is the Commodore 64 project (clearly the LEGO team doesn't know what the project is actually proposing otherwise they would have pulled it down already given what would be required to actually put real hardware or even emulation/simulation/whatever powers those "retro C64" things into the LEGO shell)

why? They would just have done the shell. No one voting is expecting more.

1 hour ago, anothergol said:

Funko does The Office as well, so it's most likely not exlusive

My understanding is that licenses usually pertain to specific toys. 

Action figures, construction block sets, and pop culture collectibles (i.e. Funko) are usually separate licenses.  The Office set in question is clearly a construction block set, including minifigs almost identical to LEGO. 

I don't know, I hadn't found stuff by PhatMojo that looked like Lego.

If what you're referring to looks like this, then yeah I can imagine it being a problem.

Edit, ah, found it. Funny pesonalized instructions. Too bad it sucks.

https://phatmojo.com/theoffice/

Edited by anothergol

20 hours ago, Another Brick In The Wall said:

EDIT: The only solution is that a project is reviewed immediately after it reaches 10K votes. It makes very little sense for projects to be reviewed en masse, since the decision to market a particular project no longer depends on other projects.  e.g. in some view periods multiple projects are selected, some are held over for further review, and theoretically no projects may be selected. 

We don't know that. There might still be production constraints that limits how may can be chosen, or based on projected demand / production run size, and so on.

Lego Ideas has just had a few updates! You can now track statistics of your own projects and see the total number of votes accumulated over time, and also number of votes per day.

More interestingly, the first step of submitting a project gives you a searchable list of various IPs and tells you if they will or will not be allowed. The list is not exhaustive, and if you have an IP not on the list then you can submit it anyway and a moderator will review it.  

(Checking the list for projects now in review, The Office, Winnie the Pooh, Thunderbirds, are all acceptable licenses.  I did notice that Disney World is banned, so I guess that means no hope for the Haunted Mansion set.  Licenses like Star Trek, Minions, are banned for fairly obvious reasons. They have quite an extensive list of movie titles in the database, too.  Though I was quite surprised that The Magnificent Seven was banned... ok, it's a bit violent, but a lego figure of Yul Brynner would have been fun.)

Edit: And browsing the list of IPs, it seems Stargate is banned but Stargate Atlantis is allowed?? Seriously??

Edited by NathanR

2 hours ago, NathanR said:

More interestingly, the first step of submitting a project gives you a searchable list of various IPs and tells you if they will or will not be allowed. The list is not exhaustive, and if you have an IP not on the list then you can submit it anyway and a moderator will review it.  

(Checking the list for projects now in review, The Office, Winnie the Pooh, Thunderbirds, are all acceptable licenses.  I did notice that Disney World is banned, so I guess that means no hope for the Haunted Mansion set.  Licenses like Star Trek, Minions, are banned for fairly obvious reasons. They have quite an extensive list of movie titles in the database, too.  Though I was quite surprised that The Magnificent Seven was banned... ok, it's a bit violent, but a lego figure of Yul Brynner would have been fun.)

Edit: And browsing the list of IPs, it seems Stargate is banned but Stargate Atlantis is allowed?? Seriously??

Is this IP list accessible to those who don't have a LEGO Account? I don't have an account myself, yet I'd still be quite interested in looking over this list in detail.