The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

On 6/3/2019 at 10:10 PM, Graupensuppe said:

I'm a little confused right now. A while ago I noticed that there's a fairly popular Stargate Atlantis project. I then submitted a model based on Stargate SG-1, but it was rejected. So I assumed Stargate SG-1 is off-limits but Stargate Atlantis is okay - after all it's less realistic and doesn't have as many references to real-life military stuff as SG-1. So I submitted an Atlantis-themed model instead (here's a picture - no realistic weapons or camouflage uniforms or anything). But it was rejected as well, asserting that there's not really anything in it that's against the rules but that the entire license or brand is inappropriate. At about the same time a second Stargate Atlantis project was approved though! I asked them about this via email, hoping I could still get my project approved (although I was worried it might just lead to the other two projects getting removed). But nothing happened at all. I asked for clarification before, when another one of my projects was rejected, and I quickly got a response back then. This time however I did not get any reply. So, what should I do?

That's some seriously inconsistent approval. :sad: My guess is that with the first project, the employee on duty thought it was okay, then later it was decided nothing Stargate related would be approved, but that decision couldn't be enforced retroactively. Then, the second project, which doesn't say Stargate in the title, was approved carelessly. It's a stretch, but humans make mistakes; I wouldn't recognize anything from Stargate except for that portal, even though I do recognize a ton of things (if I may say so myself) from films, series and games I haven't seen or played. 

Edit: Check out the latest official comment on the Thunderbirds Are Go project: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/d11d97d2-7b84-4011-879d-27443a086404/official_comments#content_nav_tabs

There is this peculiar phrase:

"The LEGO Review Begins in September 2019

This project qualifies for the Second 2019 Review, which includes projects that reach 10,000 supporters between early May and early September 2019. For more information about the LEGO review process, please see the Project Guidelines and House Rules.

The review is a thorough process and from its start it can take several months. When finished, we make a "go/no go" decision to develop and sell a product based on the UCS Space Shuttle Atlantis.

When the review is complete, we will inform you of our decision. If green-lit, this project goes into the longest phase of the project; the Development phase. During this time, LEGO model designers refine the product and develop it for release, we create the product materials (box, instructions, marketing), and get everything ready for a production run. This also takes several months.

We will post follow-up information and our decision here."

Can be just me who finds this odd, but why would they mention that specifically in the comment of a different project?

Edited by Exetrius

3 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Can be just me who finds this odd, but why would they mention that specifically in the comment of a different project?

It's likely just a lazy Copy Paste from the 10000 votes Shuttle Atlantis Project : https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f072bc4c-47a3-417e-98cb-5750fdac516d/official_comments#content_nav_tabs

Same  (Space Shuttle Atlatntis) text is used on the Gravity Falls project.

Edited by TeriXeri

Yes, it looks like a cut and paste error. Exactly the same text is on all three projects, just naming the designer and set near the top but not lower down.

Yeah, so close now. I voted for that one quite a while ago. It doesn't look quite so novel since the kinetic model Chinese Dragon came out, but still cool. I loved the Star Wars version they did too.

20 minutes ago, sed6 said:

Awesome, thanks!

Congratulations  :thumbup:

Good luck in the review!  

Yeah it looks beautiful buy sadly it's a modular and its too big.

The kiss of death...

Edited by Robert8

A post on IG claims the Treehouse set is going to be an august release with VIP early access in July, 3036 pieces, 200€ / £180. Wonderful news if true! I can't wait for the official reveal, should be in about three weeks.

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Medieval Blacksmith Achieves 10,000 Supporters

4888087-o_1bueli442neh1r89dssqj77utc-rG5b9kUUmrietQ-thumbnail-full.jpg

5 hours ago, leafan said:

Pretty swooshy, though it's admittedly a little too much Bright Blue and hardly enough Light Bluish Grey for my own tastes in Classic Spaceship MOCs; but hey, any day's a good day when someone submits a SPACESHIP!!! to LEGO Ideas! :thumbup: :grin:

Speaking of new submissions, this looks pretty sweet: Early 1900s Race Car by joemaruschak

Current Submission Image

On 6/25/2019 at 2:39 PM, leafan said:

Eh... this is one of the kinds of Ideas models that I feel has a very weak chance of succeeding in review. It not only relies on a ton of retired and recolored parts (including some pretty improbable recolors, like transparent space wheels), but there are elements of it that wouldn't work physically at all (the CV joint halves as blasters, since those have a very loose connection that would literally fall off if you were to tip this forward). On top of that, it's a subject (a Classic Space spaceship) that Lego already makes plenty of and which doesn't give Lego any meaningful new consumer insights (Lego already knows spaceships sell, and they already know Classic Space has its fans, so they don't need an Ideas project to tell them those things) or for that matter create any new customers (since by and large people who care about Classic Space are already fans of Lego).

Don't get me wrong, it's a neat looking MOC. But the most successful Ideas projects tend to be ones that are new and different, either in terms of IP or subject matter, and ones that are designed with the practicalities of a Lego set in mind. This doesn't really satisfy any of those criteria.

Edited by Lyichir

On 6/27/2019 at 11:27 PM, Lyichir said:

Eh... this is one of the kinds of Ideas models that I feel has a very weak chance of succeeding in review. It not only relies on a ton of retired and recolored parts (including some pretty improbable recolors, like transparent space wheels), but there are elements of it that wouldn't work physically at all (the CV joint halves as blasters, since those have a very loose connection that would literally fall off if you were to tip this forward). On top of that, it's a subject (a Classic Space spaceship) that Lego already makes plenty of and which doesn't give Lego any meaningful new consumer insights (Lego already knows spaceships sell, and they already know Classic Space has its fans, so they don't need an Ideas project to tell them those things) or for that matter create any new customers (since by and large people who care about Classic Space are already fans of Lego).

Don't get me wrong, it's a neat looking MOC. But the most successful Ideas projects tend to be ones that are new and different, either in terms of IP or subject matter, and ones that are designed with the practicalities of a Lego set in mind. This doesn't really satisfy any of those criteria.

Yeah but you could say that about most mocs on Ideas. The vast majority are in existing themes, use old elements and probably would be consumer friendly I  current form.

I believe the Exosuit is a good example of this.

The designers could help overcome a lot of that. 

3 hours ago, Lego-Freak said:

A picture of the Treehouse set has leaked on IG :thumbup: It even includes a set of orange leaves for an Autumn version :wub:

Oh yes, it'd make a great Forestmen moc! What do you think, @Marghal?

Just a little bit of commentary/analysis from Beyond the Brick regarding a particular issue that's been brought back up a little while ago...

21 minutes ago, Mbrick said:

Hi! This is my biggest and most difficult project, it took me months. Could you please help me to get 10000 supporters? And do you have any advice on how I can reach that goal? I'm sharing this everywhere but with bad results :(

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/b24a4152-5341-4eb6-8634-d33e5e46ecf9

I myself shared this project of yours a couple of days ago on another topic you might be interested in... :wink:

8 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I myself shared this project of yours a couple of days ago on another topic you might be interested in...

Thank you very much for sharing! :D

I don't even understand the controversy about the T.Rex because.. that's not even an idea, it's "just" a T.Rex. It's not even linked to Jurassic Park, it's a T.Rex, a dinosaur that sells by itself as a toy, that has always had - kids love dinosaurs.

That's why I have a problem with "Lego Ideas": for many it really is about ideas. And they may be right, as Lego doesn't respect the original designs & redoes them (often for the better, but not always).

So even if the T.Rex had been accepted, there's the possibility that it would have ended up like in the Jurassic Park set anyway. But to me, the build is the most important. The Ideas one is a much better looking build. It looks kinda fragile, it looks like Lego would have to redo it, and that's the problem. I would pay for that T.Rex as shown, not just "a T.Rex". And Lego's one doesn't even look bad.. it's just that the other one looks like a piece of art.
I seriously hope that the Ideas one is gonna end up being produced by the chinese, because that may be the only hope we have, just like for other MOCs that are either too fragile/not "properly built" or are simply against Lego's rules because of their theme.

But again, to me Lego Ideas is hardly about ideas. Aside from Jason Allemann, no one has ideas there (even though even Jason's entries are Lego versions of popular mechanisms, at least they're done creatively).
<insert your favorite show>+Lego isn't an idea, it's something a bot could do. Lego didn't need an Ideas T.Rex project to gauge the appeal for a Lego T.Rex, it's a T.Rex, kids love them!
To me it's all about the builds, or it *should be*.

Edited by anothergol