The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

I can’t see Digger of Bricks’s response, but the Playable LEGO Piano is still under review! Yay!

And the Dinosaur Skeletons are a go! That’s extremely cool. I’m looking forward to that one a lot.

Just now, Blondie-Wan said:

I can’t see Digger of Bricks’s response, but the Playable LEGO Piano is still under review! Yay!

How so? :shrug_confused:

17 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

How so? :shrug_confused:

I see your quote of legonerd54321, and then a big empty space below that, with no text or image. I’m guessing you posted the “REQUIRES FURTHER REVIEW” picture of the Playable LEGO Piano right below the quote, but it doesn’t show up for me.

18 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I see your quote of legonerd54321, and then a big empty space below that, with no text or image. I’m guessing you posted the “REQUIRES FURTHER REVIEW” picture of the Playable LEGO Piano right below the quote, but it doesn’t show up for me.

It's a YouTube video. :wink: Here's the non-embedded link if the embed doesn't seem to work for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM3sHhD4If4

Ah, that would be it. I’m currently in a hospital and their network doesn’t seem to play well with YouTube embeds.

Interesting results. The Dino skeletons are “meh” to me. But I can see how they would do well in Lego’s target market. It sounds like they really want to do the playable piano, but are still evaluating if it is possible from a production engineering and design standpoint. 

Hmmm surprising to say the least  I thought this one would be a sterile review

And whatever happened to the treehouse set? It's been almost a year since it got approved

Edited by Robert8

No food stand diners is okay I guess, as it wasn't really "unique", and LEGO has been putting small food/drink stands+bikes and cafes in recent sets.

I wonder how much they'll change the Dino Skeletons set.

Edited by TeriXeri

6 hours ago, Faefrost said:

The Dino skeletons are “meh” to me. But I can see how they would do well in Lego’s target market.

Kind of, but I could see the finalized product being "embellished"  with some cool printed plaques for each skeleton, with perhaps even a couple unique minifigures thrown in there for good measure. :shrug_oh_well:

6 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Hmmm surprising to say the least  I thought this one would be a sterile review

And whatever happened to the treehouse set? It's been almost a year since it got approved

The Treehouse was approved / announced about 8 1/2 months ago, on October 4, 2018. The original fan model is one of the more complex structures to be approved, so I’m not surprised they’re taking a little longer to get the final set design down.

I don't care much for the dino skeletons, but I am happy for the creators. I am also somewhat glad because it lets me saves money, and with so many incredible Lego Ideas sets recently that's somewhat needed for my wallet. I am really hoping for the Piano to become a set though, that would be one hell of a unique set. I can only imagine what it would cost though.  

On 5/21/2019 at 12:09 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

To commemorate the recent 10th anniversary of LEGO Ideas, LEGO is giving four past unapproved 10k projects a second chance in an Extraordinary 10 Year Anniversary Review and Fan Vote.

Interesting Lego's marketing decision, probably they are literally running out of (good) ideas - pun intended - and, at the same time, they show that they are listening to the afols' complaints through a consolation prize. In any case I appreciated the choice and I hope they may repeat it in the future.

Although I am not fully convinced by its design, I gave my vote to Nathan Sawaya's reduced version of his iconic model. I wish that TLC could dig out maxvf1's Macross' Valkyrie, which got the 10k supporters, but I have no illusions about it.

Glad to hear they're still testing the piano, they could take another five years for all I care if it meant the final product would be as awesome as the SleepyCow's project :excited:

The fossils are a good choice, too. Even if it ends up out of scale with regular dinosaur molds, it still should be a nice complementary piece to any Jurassic Park/World set'.

Edited by BenderBrau

Very interesting about the piano.  Some might have simply voted for it for its display value, similar to the small piano that made it to review and did not pass.  Then, there are those who probably voted for the functionality, but not necessary the sound.   I think that in the submitted project, the keys actually work, yet they do not make a sound.  Then, there are those who are hoping it is actually playable.  If the latter possibility is in fact the case, I would be very interested.  No doubt Lego is researching just what the expectations of the potential consumers are.  You would not want to make something that is less than what many people expected and voted for(see The Flintstones), nor do you want to move to the other extreme and make something that costs 3x or 4x what people thought they were voting for (looking at you, Steamboat Willie).  I think they are also trying to figure out if is really possible to have the keys produce a tone, which would be amazing.  This will probably require specialized parts and some research, thus the extension for considering the piano.  

Just putting a plug in here for the Thunderbirds set on Ideas.  It's a fantastic set for a TV show that's a big part of childhood for many people both young and old.  The project is at 9845 supports and has about 70 days left, so it needs two per day to make it to review.   If you haven't supported it yet, please take a look and give it your vote!  I would have given my right arm for a functional Thunderbird 2 built out of Lego when I was a kid ....

On 5/24/2019 at 10:39 PM, icm said:

Just putting a plug in here for the Thunderbirds set on Ideas.  It's a fantastic set for a TV show that's a big part of childhood for many people both young and old.  The project is at 9845 supports and has about 70 days left, so it needs two per day to make it to review.   If you haven't supported it yet, please take a look and give it your vote!  I would have given my right arm for a functional Thunderbird 2 built out of Lego when I was a kid ....

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Thunderbirds Are Go Achieves 10,000 Supporters

4468340-o_1bi98hk5l1l8314eq4fi1o1mqj9c-iEspn-NbK-W1Ow-thumbnail-full.jpg

I'd say that it'll reach the 10 000 supporters in 70 days. That's quite achievable and people may be more inclined to vote since it's really close to the prerequisite. 

One of these days I'm going to fully flesh out my idea for a modular Research Institute, and that fossil set will probably be essential for it.

On 5/25/2019 at 5:39 AM, icm said:

I would have given my right arm for a functional Thunderbird 2 built out of Lego when I was a kid ....

I’d give my right arm today!

Hey guys (Brent Waller, creator of LEGO Ghostbusters Ideas set)

Some of you might remember I submitted my X-files moc 4 years ago (nearly to the day) and it was rejected for mature themes. 

After seeing Stranger Things come to Lego with similar themes I thought I'd submit X-files again and this time it was approved and is now up for voting!

18134728132_b5631f3db3_z.jpgLEGO X-Files by Brent Waller, on Flickr

Really?! :oh: 

The very same set that was rejected 4 years ago for mature themes now has been approved?

Hmmmm weird things are happening in Billund

Who knows, maybe we'll get a Playboy Mansion D2C set in a few years :wacko:

22 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Really?! :oh: 

The very same set that was rejected 4 years ago for mature themes now has been approved?

Hmmmm weird things are happening in Billund

Who knows, maybe we'll get a Playboy Mansion D2C set in a few years :wacko:

Happy to see they approved it, but definitely a little confusing. I actually emailed Ideas support preemptively to see if an Overwatch themed project would be allowed back when the game was new and the character designs had caught my attention (despite never playing it), and they said nope because of the First person shooter element. Then they made a whole darn theme of it so who knows :wacko: