The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

On 5/6/2019 at 10:13 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

Machu Picchu, not famous enough?! It’s one of the most famous places in the world!

It may be well known but how many people would be interested in a LEGO model of it?

On 5/1/2019 at 8:37 PM, jonwil said:

123 Sesame Street wont happen unless Mega gives up their license (which they would be unlikely to do)

That is, unless Mega Brands' Sesame Street license is non-exclusive.

2 hours ago, jonwil said:

It may be well known but how many people would be interested in a LEGO model of it?

I don’t know, but let’s say at least 10,000, for starters.

How many people are interested in LEGO models of the Eiffel Tower, Tower Bridge, the Statue of Liberty, Fallingwater, the Guggenheim, the Farnsworth House, the Brandenburg Gate, Villa Savoye, Willis Tower, the Sydney Opera House, and most directly analogously the Great Wall of China?

Maybe we should have the poll in another forum? Like the General LEGO discussion one? Or Community?

How come there are two 10k interviews today? Does that mean we’ll be getting the review results soon?

I don't know, I continue to find the offerings from Lego Ideas very...bland. I got a couple of the earlier ones. The Exo Suit was brilliant, but not much interests me since then. There are more creative models posted on Eurobricks every week. Is the process so tortuous that only megalomaniacs persevere with trying to get sets chosen for production?

That shuttle will never pass approval (the rules for what's not allowed due to existing Ideas product explicitly list the Space Shuttle)

I've shared this elsewhere at several other pertinent topics earlier this week, and I figured it might as well be shared here too...

On 5/15/2019 at 7:15 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

If anyone here has any questions for designers of the Speed Champions theme, now's your chance! :sweet:

The Brothers Brick - Ask LEGO Anything: We’re Talking to LEGO, and We Want Your Help! [News]

Next week The Brothers Brick will be in Billund, Denmark at LEGO’s headquarters to talk with LEGO about how the company interacts with the fan community. That’s not all we’ll be doing though, as we’ll also have an opportunity to sit down with a handful of LEGO designers to pick their brains about your favorite themes. We want to give our readers a chance to get in on the action, so if you’ve got a burning question about one of these themes, you can fill out our form to submit your question. Just remember, LEGO designers can never talk about unannounced future products or plans, so there’s no point asking “will LEGO ever make Monorail again?” or “what sets are planned for next summer?”

The design teams we’ll be speaking with include Creator Expert, Games (Video Games & Apps), Harry Potter, Hidden Side, Ideas, Jurassic World, and Speed Champions. Although the brand-new Hidden Side theme hasn’t been released yet, we did get a hands-on look at the sets back in February at the New York Toy Fair, and saw all the official set photos last week.

We’ll also have a chat with Tormod Askildsen, LEGO’s Head of AFOL Engagement–that’s right, LEGO has a whole department dedicated to interacting with Adult Fans of LEGO (aka AFOLs). The department supports a variety of activities throughout the fan community, such as providing early access to sets for some of the reviews we do here on The Brothers Brick. If you’ve got a question about how LEGO thinks about adult builders, now is your time to ask it.

Submit your questions here

Since time will be limited, we can’t promise we’ll get to everyone’s questions, but we’ll ask as many as we can.

To commemorate the recent 10th anniversary of LEGO Ideas, LEGO is giving four past unapproved 10k projects a second chance in an Extraordinary 10 Year Anniversary Review and Fan Vote.

Stitch, the International Space Station (XCLD’s version), Nathan Sawaya’s Small Yellow, and the Sega Arcade Machines have all been pre-approved, and whichever receives the most fan votes from now to June 4th will be put into production!

Interesting extra voting round.

For me it's easy, the Arcade as the other 3 are "display models" and not in my interest area at all.

6 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Interesting extra voting round.

For me it's easy, the Arcade as the other 3 are "display models" and not in my interest area at all.

Really? Huh. I’d think the Arcade Machines are more of display models than Stitch is, myself. Stitch looks very much like the most playable of these four.

32 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

have all been pre-approved, and whichever receives the most fan votes...

Then why not release them all? Each of them already got ten thousand votes...

None of these projects seem particularly exciting to me though. The modular western buildings, now that would have been something!

Edited by Graupensuppe

48 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Really? Huh. I’d think the Arcade Machines are more of display models than Stitch is, myself. Stitch looks very much like the most playable of these four.

Arcade Machines idea has suggested minifigs and are also somewhat minifig scaled, and could be integrated into existing City/Creator scale builds.

I'm not even a huge Arcade/Sega fan, it's just in this case it's 1 of 4 to be chosen, doesn't mean the other 3 are bad.

Stitch might be an "action figure" type build with moveable parts but to me still is not something I'd be interested in, but I can see the appeal of it to Disney/Lilo&Stitch fans or kids. 

I got other LEGO sets that fill the playable action figure role.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, Blondie-Wan said:

To commemorate the recent 10th anniversary of LEGO Ideas, LEGO is giving four past unapproved 10k projects a second chance in an Extraordinary 10 Year Anniversary Review and Fan Vote.

Stitch, the International Space Station (XCLD’s version), Nathan Sawaya’s Small Yellow, and the Sega Arcade Machines have all been pre-approved, and whichever receives the most fan votes from now to June 4th will be put into production!

Definitely voting for the International Space Station.  I was so disappointed when that was rejected upon review!

1 hour ago, Graupensuppe said:

Then why not release them all? Each of them already got ten thousand votes...

None of these projects seem particularly exciting to me though. The modular western buildings, now that would have been something!

Maybe they only have one slot. I wonder if it is a real vote or if they have already chosen the winner, as it is a secret ballot so they could announce anything and nobody would be any the wiser.

1 hour ago, icm said:

Definitely voting for the International Space Station.  I was so disappointed when that was rejected upon review!

+1 :thumbup:

I'm surprised they brought back the Small Yellow project for this :oh:

I am expecting the space station to be the clear overall winner in the fans vote considering the popularity of space related sets

although im more into sets with playability so my vote is going for stitch

8 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I'm surprised they brought back the Small Yellow project for this :oh:

I am so sick of that thing. I'm not a huge fan of Nathan Sawaya's stuff as "art". I get that it is, but I find it a bit pretentious. Like it's trying too hard. Trying to flip that pretentiousness into a retail product with an extra helping of ugly is just bleah. 

7 hours ago, Faefrost said:

I am so sick of that thing. I'm not a huge fan of Nathan Sawaya's stuff as "art". I get that it is, but I find it a bit pretentious. Like it's trying too hard. Trying to flip that pretentiousness into a retail product with an extra helping of ugly is just bleah. 

I can understand the original being popular to see,  the form itself is something you'd normally associate with "art" (whatever that is) but made from a kids building block. But after a few sculptures, they get a bit same-y.

But the mini one, it doesn't really look like the original in the sense that it has lost its detail. More importantly, it has lost its originality. You have to know what the original is to appreciate this one. If you don't know what the original is, this looks really crap. It is like printing a low res copy of a painting that you downloaded from the internet on your wall. Plus, how will people feel when they are dropping in that 60th 2x1 yellow brick that LEGO have just charged them 10c for. Worse still, if you want to move it or dust it. At least the others have the option of being decent parts packs if they don't sell.

Edited by MAB

Just now, legonerd54321 said:

I’m surprised the  Dinosaur fossils won above the playable piano... :look:

a surprise to be sure, but a welcome one!