The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

On 2/19/2019 at 12:35 PM, Roebuck said:

What I was trying to say was that The Big Bang Theory and Friends is more or less the same set, so now a lot of people will make something similar since two have made it. It is the same with different ideas, like modular buildings.. There are so many excellent submissions of modular buildings on ideas, but even if they all get 10 000 votes they probably never pass the review. Lego want new unique ideas like Ship in a Bottle and Pop-Up Book if they can't have that (like this round more or less) they probably will pick what they think are the best sellers :def_shrug:

That is at least my impression on why they pick some sets and not others :wink: If I am right, talented builders should try and make something unique instead off better editions of existing sets:shrug_oh_well:

Agreed. Same goes for all the Brickheadz, Speed Champions, Creator Expert cars, Architecture and City submissions as well. But that's a good chunk of Ideas.

And yeah those two sitcom TV sets are very similar; A bunch of Caucasian fleshies in an open dollhouse style one-room display with different stuff on the walls.

Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph as Ship in a Bottle or Pop-up Book.

8 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

And yeah those two sitcom TV sets are very similar; A bunch of Caucasian fleshies in an open dollhouse style one-room display with different stuff on the walls.

I guess you could submit Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Diff'rent Strokes, or The Cosby Show and see how they do.

19 hours ago, MAB said:

The Cosby Show 

In light of developments i doubt if this would even get past submission.

On 2/21/2019 at 12:30 PM, koalayummies said:

Agreed, but their conceptual similarities aren’t as important as the fact they represent different shows. Nobody is buying them because of the engaging builds; they buy them because the sets represent TV shows they love. And while I’m sure there’s some overlap between the viewerships and fandoms of The Big Bang Theory and Friends, nobody’s desire for one of these two is going to be satisfied by the other. Somebody who is a big fan of Friends, who’s seen every episode multiple times and buys merchandise from it and so on, isn’t necessarily going to want a Big Bang Theory set, and even if they do it’s not going to satisfy any desire they have for a Friends set, and vice versa.

This contrasts with someone who’s a fan of LEGO but not particularly interested in either of these TV shows, and might find the sets pretty equivalent - equally interesting or uninteresting as sets of fleshtoned minifigures sitting around on furniture in a room.

Shouldn't even be mentioned in the same paragraph as Ship in a Bottle or Pop-up Book.

Certainly from the standpoint of the creativity in the builds, sure. But they do have an advantage over them from LEGO’s (the company’s) point of view: they appeal to people outside the established LEGO fan base. The Pop-up book might have some appeal to people who are fans of folktales and/or pop-up books, and the Ship in a Bottle might have some to fans of maritime stuff, but I suspect both principally sell to LEGO fans. A set based on one of these shows, OTOH, might sell to people who aren’t normally into LEGO but who are fans of the show. It’s a chance for TLG to make a sale to people who don’t normally buy LEGO.

39 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

This is the second time a project based on The Office has made it this far. I wouldn’t expect this one to be the one that makes it (certainly not at around 2500 pieces), but if more such projects get to review, who knows?

I wouldn't expect any more sets based on TV sitcom locations to get picked for a long time, judging from how many sets based on aviation and space technology have been rejected since the Saturn V passed.  Ideas is about new ideas and variety, not necessarily about what the fans want as demonstrated by ten thousand votes.

This seems to be the place to link your personal LEGO Ideas projects, right? I hope I'm not commiting a faux pa by posting this too early into my time at Eurobricks, but it's been on my mind and I want to be able to relax and enjoy the rest of the forum without having the idea of posting this nag at me in the back of my mind ^^;;

unknown.png

Here's mine - Sonic Mania - Green Hill Zone. There's a lot of play features in here that makes it a bit more than just another generic IP-based Ideas set, including a functioning flick-action spring and an articulated mech with extending arms that can be piloted by a brick-built bigfig. I had a lot of fun intentionally trying to recreate the sturdy, detail-agnostic*, play-focused design style you can see in standard themes, while still maintaining relevance for the "Hey, I recognise this!" pop culture collector.

Notably, it's managed to earn 3,000 supporters in a week since its inception, and as of this post is still #2 in the "Trending" tab on the front page. This is owed to having recieved some big attention - Kotaku and Gonintendo, for example. I'm not hurting for supporters right now but figure I might as well share it while it's hot. More pictures are available on my newly-minted Flickr account!

*well... official sets don't usually chase detail above all else, but they don't intentionally avoid it either! If you can think of a better word than agnostic to describe this, I'm all ears.

Edited by toastergrl

On 3/2/2019 at 2:24 AM, Roebuck said:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/fcf1dec0-bdf7-48c7-9da7-95fd68e41480/updates#content_nav_tabs

Finely classic pirates have a chance with the priates bay, a fabulous set that I hope Lego make :pir-wub:

...and now it has finally achieved support! Congratulations @paokus!!! :grin:

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas The Pirate Bay Achieves 10,000 Supporters

6077849-A-thumbnail-full.jpg

It probably shouldn't surprise me that that model was made by a Eurobricks member! It's impeccable, and congratulations paokus on your success. On first brush I feel like it would have difficulty passing review because that looks D2C-sized, but then again, Voltron...

I wonder how the name would be handled, given the... legal questionableness of a certain website that that shares it? "Pirate's Cove", perhaps?

22 minutes ago, toastergrl said:

It probably shouldn't surprise me that that model was made by a Eurobricks member! It's impeccable, and congratulations paokus on your success.

P.S. He's also created a great many modular building projects for LEGO Ideas besides just this one, such as, for instance...

Just wanted to post about my latest project which has now been on LEGO Ideas for about a week. You may have seen this already in the Town forum. It's another modular building, this time a Police Station with a doughnut store attached.

40352113713_bc94d22e84_z.jpg

33441461488_8b14a41a28_z.jpg

40352144063_49637911f7_z.jpg

If anyone would like to vote for the model, I'd be hugely grateful. :classic:  Here's the link https://ideas.lego.com/projects/fa5635b2-3b10-42e7-b7cc-027744005b84

@toastergrl That's a fantastic design! I checked out some of your competitors, but your rendition seems to be more sleek and parts-efficient. :thumbup: I'm pretty jealous of your rendering skills (the prints) btw! Could you tell me which software and/or what tutorial you used for that? 

Best of luck with your project, you're well on your way! 

On 3/5/2019 at 6:32 PM, toastergrl said:

This seems to be the place to link your personal LEGO Ideas projects, right? I hope I'm not commiting a faux pa by posting this too early into my time at Eurobricks, but it's been on my mind and I want to be able to relax and enjoy the rest of the forum without having the idea of posting this nag at me in the back of my mind ^^ mine - Sonic Mania - Green Hill Zone. There's a lot of play features in here that makes it a bit more than just another generic IP-based Ideas set, including a functioning flick-action spring and an articulated mech with extending arms that can be piloted by a brick-built bigfig. I had a lot of fun intentionally trying to recreate the sturdy, detail-agnostic*, play-focused design style you can see in standard themes, while still maintaining relevance for the "Hey, I recognise this!" pop culture collector.

Notably, it's managed to earn 3,000 supporters in a week since its inception, and as of this post is still #2 in the "Trending" tab on the front page. This is owed to having recieved some big attention - Kotaku and Gonintendo, for example. I'm not hurting for supporters right now but figure I might as well share it while it's hot. More pictures are available on my newly-minted Flickr account!

*well... official sets don't usually chase detail above all else, but they don't intentionally avoid it either! If you can think of a better word than agnostic to describe this, I'm all ears.

:oh:

Love it

It's unbelievable super cool outrageous and amazing :wub:

Um, for some reason, images from LEGO Ideas are all of a sudden failing to be embedded anywhere here on Eurobricks... :distressed:

I don't know if it's a leak or not but images of the steamboat Willey box art have shown up on Instagram. It looks great and has been changed considerably from the original Ideas submission.

It’s been brought up elsewhere, but an Ideas first always is worth mentioning here, too, so...

Coming on the heels of the first new element shape (the diecut textile piece for the car roof in The Flintstones), the new “Steamboat Willie” set is now the first Ideas set to introduce actual new molded elements (Mickey and Minnie’s hats). Ideas continues to pass new milestones, some of which we thought we’d never see. :)

It’s also worth noting that it’s only March,  “Steamboat Willie” (the year’s second Ideas set) launches April 1, and we already know what the next two sets are (the Treehouse and Friends’ Central Perk). Could 2019 be the first year with five Ideas sets released?

We have to wait if those hats are or not included in the CMF

The CMF are designed a year in advance so production wise, they were introduced there and then reused for the Ideas set

3 hours ago, Robert8 said:

We have to wait if those hats are or not included in the CMF

The CMF are designed a year in advance so production wise, they were introduced there and then reused for the Ideas set

Possibly, but as noted, they were still introduced here.

(And of course I doubt the fabric Flintstones car roof is being used again in any other set, though you never know...)

I'm really glad that the Pirate Bay reached 10,000 supporters and I hope Lego does consider turning it into a set. Hopefully the price will be justifiable. 

In regards to the hats appearing in Steamboat Willie first (regardless of whether they actually were created for that or the CMF or whatever) I do recall the designer for the Caterham saying something about being worried whether they could launch the set since it had new bits in it (e.g. 2x3 tile) and they were happy that other sets (Ninjago I think) were launched/revealed first meaning they weren't the first set revealed to the public that had the new molds in it and could stick to the "no new molds in Ideas" policy.