The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Just now, Bricked1980 said:

That's great. Did it make much of a difference to your votes after it was staff picked recently?

Absolutely. I think it got at least five times more votes per day than before. And even my other project (Kowloon Walled City) seems to be getting a few votes again.

Edited by Graupensuppe

2 hours ago, Graupensuppe said:

Absolutely. I think it got at least five times more votes per day than before. And even my other project (Kowloon Walled City) seems to be getting a few votes again.

Congratulations!

Aside Flintstones and Treehouse, the next Ideas set should be Steamboat Willie  (as leaks indicate). So it is unlikely it is rated 16+, more likely +10 like Flintstones. The 751 piece count is reasonable for it, so probably it’s listing is swapped with Treehouse, which would have piece count TBD.

I have recently added my new project to LEGO Ideas, but that doesn't mean I've turned my back on The Old Workhorse. I've decided to give Youtube promotion a try and have been working on putting this video together for ages. 

Don't think it will be winning any golden globes but here it is... "The Old Workhorse - The Movie" :laugh:

Edited by Bricked1980

15 hours ago, Modeltrainman said:

@Bricked1980 So cool! I tried a video a while back, forgot to share here!  https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2014d893-a049-4506-87a3-cb923d2aa3ae

Thanks @Modeltrainman and thanks for sharing it on twitter yesterday as well. :thumbup:

I've watched your video too. It's clear that your Up House model really does mean a great deal to you. I do wish you the best of luck with the project.  :classic:

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Thanks @Modeltrainman and thanks for sharing it on twitter yesterday as well. :thumbup:

I've watched your video too. It's clear that your Up House model really does mean a great deal to you. I do wish you the best of luck with the project.  :classic:

You're very welcome. The Old Workhorse looks like so much fun! And, yes. it may not be ultra detailed, or have as many balloons as others, but I'm proud of it, anyway! Hoping to improve it, but its colors are expensive, and with so many ideas I have...We'll see what can be done!

The creator of Anatomini is perhaps the only person I know that may have put more effort in the promoting campaign of his project than @Bricked1980, haha! :laugh: I'll keep my fingers crossed for him to get through the review stage!  

I have been trying to add an update to my LEGO Ideas project but have found a major glitch which I think has appeared since the site was updated last week. I can add text in to my update but it wont let me add any pictures. Has anyone else with an Ideas project spotted this problem?

2 hours ago, Exetrius said:

The creator of Anatomini is perhaps the only person I know that may have put more effort in the promoting campaign of his project than @Bricked1980, haha!

I can only wish my efforts were as successful as Stephanix, Anatomini. :laugh:

Edited by Bricked1980

Hey, it's Kevin McCallister's House! :laugh: 

LEGO Ideas - Home Alone: McCallister's House by adwind

6074936-vbvb_-_Copy.jpg

3 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

It was a AFOL Designer Program entry that didn't make it to finalist, so I modified it, added about 500 more pieces or so, and submitted to LEGO Ideas! :) 

Ah yes, I remembered, though it didn't hit me until after a short time afterwards. :blush:

I might be in error (it would hardly be the first time!), but I think The Flintstones might represent a new first for Ideas - the first Ideas set to introduce a completely new part (specifically, the fabric element for the car top).

12 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I might be in error (it would hardly be the first time!), but I think The Flintstones might represent a new first for Ideas - the first Ideas set to introduce a completely new part (specifically, the fabric element for the car top).

In combination with the reports of the children and Dino not being in the set, could this be evidence of a theme in the works?

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

In combination with the reports of the children and Dino not being in the set, could this be evidence of a theme in the works?

Ah?

If there is a theme in the works, then they woudn't approve the set. They would wait and release the 4 main characters with exclusive hairpieces, like Scooby Doo. 

58 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Ah?

If there is a theme in the works, then they woudn't approve the set. They would wait and release the 4 main characters with exclusive hairpieces, like Scooby Doo. 

I think Pdaitabird means a theme happening because this set kicked one off, like Minecraft and Ghostbusters before it.

Wasn't expecting Steamboat Willie given the usual "no sets from existing licenses" rule and the existence of any number of Mickey Mouse products (the BrickHeadz, the Duplo stuff etc) but then again its different to all that stuff since that stuff is modern. Regardless, I like it and will grab one if the actual set looks any good (especially if they can get the goat in there)

Central Perk on the other hand makes no sense. The demographic for Friends has a lot less overlap with LEGO fans than the demographic for Big Bang did and Big Bang didn't exactly fly off the shelves. I have zero interest in Friends (the TV show, not the LEGO theme) and will likely pass on this one.

Of the other items, the SpaceX rockets make no sense since the Saturn V is still on shelves. The ISS makes no sense due to the difficulty of finding a way to support all that weight. The M&Ms machine was never going to happen (things that go in a child's mouth and LEGO don't really mix). The jet engine is too big and not popular enough to be viable (a complete airplane at the right scale might be viable). I suspect LEGO isn't likely to do any car projects as Ideas sets unless they are special or unique like the Caterham. They already have Speed Champions and their own large car line (and a good relationship with many major car companies like Fiat Chrysler, GM, Ford, VAG and BMW) and would likely produce any Fiat or Peugeot cars themselves via those lines. And the Mexico skyline is too close to the Architecture line (plus are the buildings in Mexico City as iconic as those in cities like Paris and New York and Sydney where they did do skyline sets? Probably not)

Just now, jonwil said:

Wasn't expecting Steamboat Willie given the usual "no sets from existing licenses" rule and the existence of any number of Mickey Mouse products (the BrickHeadz, the Duplo stuff etc) but then again its different to all that stuff since that stuff is modern

I think it's because while all previous Lego Mickeys have the licence for his character only, Steamboat Willie licence is for the entire short so it was treated as a separate IP.

Copy from the other 2018 review thread

I'm glad Central Perk made it, and now is waiting to see if they'd use yellow (most of them in the original submission) or flesh minifigs (like big bang theory)

Even so, it's one of the type of sets I'd still be interested in even with flesh toned minifigs. 

Yellow figures would make it a more generic City/Creator type set imo however.

I see some complaining about lack of Space sets , but 2017 had Women of NASA and the huge Saturn V set, and with City/TLM and even Overwatch Space I didn't expect a Space X rocket set or even ISS this soon.

Now onto the next review, I'm still fully behind the Food Stand Diners set.

Edited by TeriXeri

49 minutes ago, jonwil said:

Central Perk on the other hand makes no sense. The demographic for Friends has a lot less overlap with LEGO fans than the demographic for Big Bang did and Big Bang didn't exactly fly off the shelves. I have zero interest in Friends (the TV show, not the LEGO theme) and will likely pass on this one.

Maybe not AFOLs, but if adult fans of the TV show exclusively are likely to buy geekery-related merchandise like Funko POPs, then that's likely the market Lego's aiming for.

53 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Maybe not AFOLs, but if adult fans of the TV show exclusively are likely to buy geekery-related merchandise like Funko POPs, then that's likely the market Lego's aiming for.

Indeed, though it’s still a surprise to me. The characters of The Big Bang Theory are noteworthy for being geeks and nerds into the same sorts of things frequently represented in LEGO, as well as LEGO itself. The same is not nearly as true of Friends (save for Ross).

Friends will also be the first TV-based property that is no longer current - The Big Bang Theory is only now in its final season, Adventure Time only just finished and was still in its original run when the set was released, Doctor Who is still running (even if only very sporadically), and while the original version of The Flintstones ran in the ‘60s, some new iteration of the franchise comes along every so many years (not unlike Scooby-Doo, which became a whole theme), and a new Flintstones series is coming soon. They’ve done many movie-originated franchises that were last active several years ago, but this is the first time they’ve done a TV-originated one.

1 hour ago, jonwil said:

Of the other items, the SpaceX rockets make no sense since the Saturn V is still on shelves.

In fairness, the Saturn V likely won’t be on shelves any longer by the time one of these sets would have appeared. It has now been around over a year and a half, and has already remained available longer than nearly every previous CUUSOO / Ideas set (all except for the Ghostbusters Ectomobile, AFAICT). It’s a great seller, but won’t be around forever.

Edited by Blondie-Wan