The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

"The Third 2018 LEGO Ideas Review qualifying period ended this Monday morning, January 7th."

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/86c4405b-51f9-4d87-b82c-0b6a275bc8c3

1. Dinosaurs Fossils Skeletons - Natural History Collection by Mukkinn

2. Chemical Plant by Ymarilego

3. Food Stand Diners by FrostBricks

4. Playable Lego Piano by SleepyCow

5. Queen Victoria Cruise Ship by FlagsNZ

So, yeah, exciting Ideas times ahead, 5 projects made it to 10k.

10 projects still in review.

Next deadline for 2019 : Monday, May 6th, 2019.

10 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

So, yeah, exciting Ideas times ahead, 5 projects made it to 10k.

I'll be interested to see which of these 5 get approved for production. There may only be a small selection this time around but they are all really good.

1 hour ago, TeriXeri said:

Well, despite the lackluster number of contenders for this review, I do think all of them each stand a pretty good chance! If I were to guess though which one had the best chance amongst the five, I'd have to say it'd be SleepyCow's Piano, as seems to be the most novel. :shrug_oh_well:

52 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

I'll be interested to see which of these 5 get approved for production. There may only be a small selection this time around but they are all really good.

There may be a slight chance though of another project from the prior review carrying on over for further consideration. :wink:

We should be less than four weeks from the next announcement. They’ve posted the creator interviews for seven of the projects from the Second 2018 Review Batch now, and have only three left to go. We also saw in the last review that they sort of sped through the interviews near the end so they could announce a little earlier, so it might be only two or three weeks. The first seven interviews are at these links for the creators of the SpaceX Falcon Heavy, the International Space Station, SpaceX - The Ultimate Collection, Steamboat Willie, the M & M’s Chocolate Candy Dispenser, the Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 LEGO Speed Champions, and the Fiat 500 F.

The new batch after it looks good, though I’m not sure how many of them are likely to be approved. With just five projects, this new batch is also the smallest batch in over five years - the last time they had one this small or smaller was back when it was still LEGO CUUSOO. I can’t help but wonder whether some of the site updates over the last year or so had put people off and slowed activity, resulting in fewer projects making it to review, and if so, whether the most recent update is aimed at fixing that.

While there’s never been a batch with just five projects since the change from CUUSOO to Ideas, there have been a couple with just six. The first of those batches actually wound up having half its projects approved, yielding three sets; the other one had no approvals. We’ve also had multiple batches with two approvals, including the last one, while we’ve had batches with as many as thirteen projects have none approved. Clearly the size of a batch, by itself, is by no means an indication of how many sets it will bring us. But I do think this batch will have one approval.

I’m a little worried and irked at myself, since the project I think is likeliest to be approved is also kind of slightly similar in concept to yet another project I’ve had in mind for a couple years but haven’t gotten around to submitting. If I do finally get it together and submit it and it gets to review and gets declined for being too much like an approved project from this batch, it would be the third idea that someone else beat me to (as I previously intended to submit a pop-up book and a Beatles Yellow Submarine). I really need to get busy working on my Ideas, but real-life stuff just keeps getting in the way. :/ At least my idea this time is different enough that it could still have a chance, though, so I’m still planning on going ahead with it.

On 12/19/2018 at 3:18 AM, Roebuck said:

When can we expect that they release the treehouse, next year?

Yes (i.e., this year, since it was last year when you asked that). The Treehouse and The Flintstones should both come out in 2019, and I imagine one or two more will as well. They’ve ramped up production of Ideas sets since the early CUUSOO days, and every year from 2014 to 2018 has had four Ideas sets except for 2017, which had three (and two of them were very large sets of around 2000 pieces each, the NASA Apollo Saturn V and the Old Fishing Store, released back-to-back). I do think the Treehouse will be another large one, and it’s conceivable a project from the batch currently finalizing review could leapfrog it and be released before it, but I don’t think it’ll take until 2020 for them to release a set announced in 2018. The Flintstones and the Treehouse should both be out this year.

On 1/8/2019 at 12:31 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Well, despite the lackluster number of contenders for this review, I do think all of them each stand a pretty good chance! If I were to guess though which one had the best chance amongst the five, I'd have to say it'd be SleepyCow's Piano, as seems to be the most novel. :shrug_oh_well:

When selecting whether or not to approve different projects, I wonder if they take in to consideration how long it took the project to gather support, as a sign of how popular it could be. If so then I imagine the piano is a dead cert to be approved. Can't remember another set that ever reached 10,000 votes as fast as that one.

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

When selecting whether or not to approve different projects, I wonder if they take in to consideration how long it took the project to gather support, as a sign of how popular it could be. If so then I imagine the piano is a dead cert to be approved. Can't remember another set that ever reached 10,000 votes as fast as that one.

The KingsKnight Space Shuttle reached 10,000 in about two weeks, and it didn't get approved.  To its favor, the playable piano is a lot more novel than KingsKnight's Space Shuttle, but Ideas hasn't approved previous pianos that reached 10,000.  There's been at least one before, maybe two.

55 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

I checked out of curiosity and nothing can really come close to Minecraft project from 2011 (on shelves in 2012), when Ideas was still CUUSOO. 48 hours, according to the official LEGO comment! But that one is a special case, project submitter was Mojang Itself, developer of Minecraft game. Even in the roduct description they clearly stated there will be no problem with license agreement on their side, they knew what what they were doing and with evident support from the game community, they achieved the goal as quickly and efficiently as no mere AFOL can ever dream.

Over on the Special Themes Subfourm, @Calunca had this to share:

21316 lego 21316 – ideas 2019 1 – 748 pieces – 10+: THE FLINTSTONES

https://www.joueclub.fr/lego-21316-ideas-2019-1.html

21317 lego 21317 – project hoot v29 – 751 pieces – 10+: TREE HOUSE

https://www.joueclub.fr/lego-21317-project-hoot-v29.html

21318 lego 21318 – 21318 ideas 2019 3 v29 – TBA pieces – 16+: UNKNOWN

https://www.joueclub.fr/lego-21318-21318-ideas-2019-3-v29.html 

https://www.hothbricks.com/lego-ideas-cinq-projets-qualifies-pour-la-prochaine-phase-devaluation/

Edited by Digger of Bricks

On 1/13/2019 at 5:10 AM, Modeltrainman said:

@Elysiumfountain @Bricked1980 Supported both, great work!

Thanks very much for your support @Modeltrainman :classic:

19 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

21317 lego 21317 – project hoot v29 – 751 pieces – 10+: TREE HOUSE

Whaaat!!! This must be an error I hope. If the tree house only includes 751 pieces then it will be substantially different from the original Ideas submission. :cry_sad:

It wouldn’t be the first time an Ideas product idea had its part count drastically reduced when being adapted into a set. But it might be possible to recreate much of the look and size of the original with far fewer pieces, depending in particular upon how the trunk is built.

Or perhaps it is indeed an error, and there’s a missing digit at the beginning.

Like I said in the other thread, after some thinking and comparing , I do think the 16+ set is more likely to be the Tree house, unless they really did take off 1900 pieces.

19 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

It wouldn’t be the first time an Ideas product idea had its part count drastically reduced when being adapted into a set. But it might be possible to recreate much of the look and size of the original with far fewer pieces, depending in particular upon how the trunk is built.

That's possible too, the original has lots of layers of plates and tiny pieces.

Only way to know is wait and see.

Edited by TeriXeri

I'm finding LEGO Ideas frustrating. There are about 5 Up related house projects going right now. Mine, another with a red roof, one with square balloons, one that's microscale, and one that's digital, with no balloons, interior, scenery, minifigs? I know mine needs more balloons, but why is one with NO balloons, AT ALL high Up on the front page?  https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2014d893-a049-4506-87a3-cb923d2aa3ae

17 minutes ago, Modeltrainman said:

I'm finding LEGO Ideas frustrating. There are about 5 Up related house projects going right now. Mine, another with a red roof, one with square balloons, one that's microscale, and one that's digital, with no balloons, interior, scenery, minifigs? I know mine needs more balloons, but why is one with NO balloons, AT ALL high Up on the front page? 

I think it's extra difficult these days, since digital building and rendering are much more available now.

It's also getting harder to see difference between real and digital in some cases.

Digital builds have an advantage as they can use parts that might not exist in certain colors, and no budget limiting them either.

But personally I always prefer to see an actual Idea brick built, as digital techniques might have structural problems.

Edited by TeriXeri

1 minute ago, TeriXeri said:

I think it's extra difficult these days, since digital building and rendering are much more available now.

It's also getting harder to see difference between real and digital in some cases.

Digital builds have an advantage as they can use parts that might not exist in certain colors, and no budget limiting them either.

But personally I always prefer to see an actual Idea brick built, as digital techniques might have structural problems.

Agreed whole heartedly! For my example, I'm adding balloons, but it's taking awhile, because I'm in the US, and I'm having to Bricklink from all over. One order was a lady in Amsterdam, even.

I like both formats, for me it's always helpful to build in digital first and then build in physical, unless they don't have parts in that color. (Otherwise I'm stuck halfway through a build after four to five hours of building having to undo the whole thing just to fix one piece that could easily be fixed digitally before the physical build). But that's just me. 

I've just never understood the people who REFUSE to support a decent or exceptional Ideas project solely because it is built with physical bricks or digitally rendered. Nevermind how artfully put together and coherent and feasible the project is, good lord it's a render, the world is ending! Believe me, those people exist! 

Similarly, the people who believe that what's on the Ideas page is the final design, that that's how it's going to arrive in finished set form, no modifications or changes necessary. I realize people have standards, but TLG has a say in the final product too! (Speaking from the viewpoint that my builds will always have room for modification and improvement). 

Rant over :)