The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

20 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Every single CUUSOO / Ideas final set has been revised from the original submission,  most of them quite substantially (a major exception being the Curiosity rover, for which the final set is very, very close to the original project), and I expect that to be true of future sets in the line. In particular, for something specifically designed with customizability in mind like the Pop-up Book, I’d be really surprised if the final set design exactly matched the original project. 

Did the Shinkai 6500 have STAMPs? I don’t have that one... 

It did not. It only had five stickers all of which went on single pieces. Generally I can't think of any post-2010 sets with STAMPs except Maersk sets.

Just now, Aanchir said:

It did not. It only had five stickers all of which went on single pieces. Generally I can't think of any post-2010 sets with STAMPs except Maersk sets.

Thanks for the response and the info. That’s an interesting observation. I’m trying to think of some myself now, and I can’t; you might well be right about there not being any since 2010, aside from Maersk sets (though I do wish they didn’t have them, either; I’m feeling ambivalent about applying the stickers in my Maersk trains).

Speaking of stickers, I was thinking recently about how Ideas sets tend to have more limited production runs than other sets, and have never introduced new parts (so far), yet so frequently include unique printed elements for decoration instead of stickers, when stickers are commonly seen as a cost-cutting move. I think we’ve all been assuming that they favor printed bricks over stickers for Ideas sets because the line caters to dedicated, mostly adult fans, who tend to dislike stickers far more than the kids who make up most of LEGO’s primary customer base. But while I imagine that’s true, I think the real principal reason might be another cost-saving measure.

I’m guessing that for large production runs of the sort needed to fill shelves in every Walmart and Target and so on with huge numbers of the latest Star Wars, Ninjago, and City sets, it frequently makes sense to print a set-specific sticker sheet for lots of the decorated elements in a set. But for smaller runs, like the sort most Ideas sets are thought to have, it might actually be more economical to print the bricks, because there might be a fixed baseline cost for a sticker sheet - specifically, the cost of the die that cuts the sticker outlines.

If a set design uses, say, seven decorated elements - three 1x4 bricks and four 2x2 tiles, let's say - then they can either print on the bricks directly, or they can print - and cut - a sticker sheet with seven stickers. There’s a certain cost per brick associated with printing directly on the bricks, and presumably a much smaller cost per brick for actually printing on the sticker sheet, but there’s also a cost to create the die that will stamp out those seven stickers on a sheet, unless they already have a die they made for some previous set(s) that cuts stickers for 3 1x4s and 4 2x2 tiles. If they don’t, then they have to create that die if they want stickers, and the cost of producing all those decorated elements for the set’s run has to include the cost of the die. If the production run is anticipated as being fairly small, it might make more sense to just print directly on the bricks if they already have print pads for those brick types, rather than creating a new die that cuts stickers for all the decorated elements in the set.

Does this make sense? Am I correct, or is there a bunch of stuff of which I’m ignorant, and the real reason has nothing to do with that? If I’m right, could it be that the small number of Ideas sets that use stickers all feature clever reuses of sticker sheet dies originally created for other sets?

On 10/4/2018 at 4:45 AM, MAB said:

Pun of the day.

:thumbup:

Well according to the banner on the website it looks as if LEGO Ideas will be out of action for an hour later today. It says Wednesday 11th but I assume that's a mistake and it really means today.

On another subject I've got a new announcement about my project which I'm pretty excited about. If you're interested you can read about it here.

21 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Thanks for the response and the info. That’s an interesting observation. I’m trying to think of some myself now, and I can’t; you might well be right about there not being any since 2010, aside from Maersk sets (though I do wish they didn’t have them, either; I’m feeling ambivalent about applying the stickers in my Maersk trains).

Speaking of stickers, I was thinking recently about how Ideas sets tend to have more limited production runs than other sets, and have never introduced new parts (so far), yet so frequently include unique printed elements for decoration instead of stickers, when stickers are commonly seen as a cost-cutting move. I think we’ve all been assuming that they favor printed bricks over stickers for Ideas sets because the line caters to dedicated, mostly adult fans, who tend to dislike stickers far more than the kids who make up most of LEGO’s primary customer base. But while I imagine that’s true, I think the real principal reason might be another cost-saving measure.

I’m guessing that for large production runs of the sort needed to fill shelves in every Walmart and Target and so on with huge numbers of the latest Star Wars, Ninjago, and City sets, it frequently makes sense to print a set-specific sticker sheet for lots of the decorated elements in a set. But for smaller runs, like the sort most Ideas sets are thought to have, it might actually be more economical to print the bricks, because there might be a fixed baseline cost for a sticker sheet - specifically, the cost of the die that cuts the sticker outlines.

If a set design uses, say, seven decorated elements - three 1x4 bricks and four 2x2 tiles, let's say - then they can either print on the bricks directly, or they can print - and cut - a sticker sheet with seven stickers. There’s a certain cost per brick associated with printing directly on the bricks, and presumably a much smaller cost per brick for actually printing on the sticker sheet, but there’s also a cost to create the die that will stamp out those seven stickers on a sheet, unless they already have a die they made for some previous set(s) that cuts stickers for 3 1x4s and 4 2x2 tiles. If they don’t, then they have to create that die if they want stickers, and the cost of producing all those decorated elements for the set’s run has to include the cost of the die. If the production run is anticipated as being fairly small, it might make more sense to just print directly on the bricks if they already have print pads for those brick types, rather than creating a new die that cuts stickers for all the decorated elements in the set.

Does this make sense? Am I correct, or is there a bunch of stuff of which I’m ignorant, and the real reason has nothing to do with that? If I’m right, could it be that the small number of Ideas sets that use stickers all feature clever reuses of sticker sheet dies originally created for other sets?

Yeah, STAMPs suck. I suspect that in the case of the Maersk sets the main reason for it is that Maersk doesn't want LEGO mutilating their logos and trademarks by splitting them up across separate stickers and/or printed bricks.

I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning about smaller production runs making printing more feasible than stickers, when in fact it more often tends to be the opposite (sets with larger production runs can offset bigger production expenses relative to their price point due to economies of scale). If only 50,000 of a particular set is being produced, then the cost of introducing each new element (whether that be a print, a mold, or a recolor) will add more to the cost of each individual set produced than if 500,000 or 1,000,000 of a set is being produced.

In general, the cost of one sticker sheet is more or less the same as the cost of one printed brick. The bigger cost associated with printing is less about the amount of ink or the die cutting process but rather the logistical cost of introducing a new element to production (and thus, having to schedule manufacturing time to produce it, clear up warehouse space to store it, etc). In this day and age, a lot of "die cutters" (both in industrial and home use) are actually digital and don't require the manufacture of a physical die for each pattern they have to cut — instead, they have a moving blade that cuts out the shapes desired much like how an inkjet printer or digital embroidery machine can recreate any number of digital patterns.

This is part of why it's so common for sets that need a huge number of different patterns (like Speed Champions or Ninjago City) often tend to favor sticker sheets. It also means that if a set already has a sticker sheet it's cheaper to add new patterns to the same sticker sheet than to print those patterns individually on the bricks. The latter requires a new element for each individual decorated brick, while the added cost of the former is negligible. This is also why so many of the smallest sets like Mighty Micros, Microfighters, BrickHeadz, Collectible Minifigures, City starter sets, etc. can get away with not having sticker sheets — since they typically need so few decorations to begin with, the amount that would be saved by using a sticker sheet tends to be much less than for a bigger set that might need between one and two dozen parts uniquely decorated.

Also, I feel like a lot of the time people tend to overstate how many printed elements there are in Ideas sets (and Juniors sets, and BrickHeadz sets, etc, etc). And often this has to do with people looking only at the presence or absence of stickers, and not at the actual number of printed elements — as well as the tendency not to think about how many printed elements a typical set or theme might introduce for minifigures and minifigure accessories.

A good example is the Saturn V Rocket set. A lot of people were astonished at its sheer number of printed bricks, and wondered why we couldn't get as many new printed elements in other big sets like it. But in many cases, we DO. The Saturn V Rocket introduced 11 uniquely printed elements. That is not at all extraordinary for a $100+ set. Even just from 2010 onward, 4195, 5887, 7327, 7964, 9450, 9516, 41180, 41239, 70596, 70816, 70909, 75021, 75094, 75104, 75157, 75188, 75219, 76035, 76057, 79008, 79010, 79111, and 79117 all introduced anywhere between 10 and 20 new printed elements. And that's not even touching on other, much more expensive types of new elements such as new or even set-specific molds.

Of course, as mentioned, a lot of these printed elements were specifically for figures and figure accessories, and as such many of the other set-specific decorations had to be produced as sticker sheets. Frankly, the sheer amount of printed building elements in many sets from the 90s and earlier can probably be attributed in part to the far smaller number of uniquely printed minifigure elements in most of those sets and themes. For example, there were no printed minifigure headgear (or even printed minifigure heads besides the classic smiley) until 1989, no printed minifigure capes until 1993, no printed minifigure legs assemblies until 1994, no printed minifigure headgear accessories until 1997, no printed minifigure armor until 2004, and no printed minifigure hair until 2006. Today all of these things are fairly common, and even expected for likenesses of certain IP-based characters. In this day and age it's not unheard of for a single minifigure to introduce anywhere from four to six new printed elements — just look at Cannonball Suit Harley Quinn, who is built entirely from six entirely unique printed elements.

Ideas sets which HAVE had a more extraordinary number of new printed elements are Caterham Seven 620R (14 unique new printed elements for $80), Women of NASA (15 for $25), Doctor Who (19 for $60), The Big Bang Theory (23 for $60), and The Beatles Yellow Submarine (24 for $60). But what all these sets besides the Caterham have in common is a large number of set-specific minifigure elements, often far more than comparably priced sets from larger themes. And even then, they're not alone among licensed/IP-based sets that have so many new printed elements — some other examples include 75917 (20 for $50), 75920 (17 for $40). LEGO Ideas budgets can also be partially balanced out by the fact that a good half of the sets to date have had four or fewer new printed elements, resulting in an average of about 8 new molds per set (the average has risen over time, of course, but this year's Ideas sets so far have had an average of 7 new printed elements per set, including sticker sheets — scarcely any more than the 6 new printed elements per set in this year's Nexo Knights range). Perhaps most importantly, Ideas sets don't have to worry about new/unique molds, which eat up a much bigger portion of the budget for an individual set or theme than new printed or recolored elements.

Today we've made two small improvements to Search and Notifications based on issues identified by our user testing and your feedback. This release also includes a few cosmetic tweaks, mostly around form inputs.

• Global Search We’ve improved search results for searches with multiple words, especially when they are contained within quotes. This should help you get better results when you’re looking for something specific.
  • Notifications – When you open the Notificactions menu, you'll now notice two sections, "New" and "Earlier."

We hope you find this small update helpful.

Well, I wasn't Aware that the search function needed improvement. But sadly with this update the tags, which helped to navigate the projects by subtypes (e.g. space, castles...), broke. They do not work anymore.

And they do not show other projects on the bottom of the side anymore.

I'm afraid this makes it harder to get registered ideas-users to your projects

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

Yeah, STAMPs suck. I suspect that in the case of the Maersk sets the main reason for it is that Maersk doesn't want LEGO mutilating their logos and trademarks by splitting them up across separate stickers and/or printed bricks.

I suspect the same. I don’t recall ever seeing anyone’s logo or trademarks ever split across pieces that way (unless the logo is literally built). It's still unfortunate, of course.

I'm not sure I agree with your reasoning about smaller production runs making printing more feasible than stickers, when in fact it more often tends to be the opposite (sets with larger production runs can offset bigger production expenses relative to their price point due to economies of scale). If only 50,000 of a particular set is being produced, then the cost of introducing each new element (whether that be a print, a mold, or a recolor) will add more to the cost of each individual set produced than if 500,000 or 1,000,000 of a set is being produced.

Oh, I know; that’s why I find the presence of so many printed elements so surprising. I was thinking a separate die cost (that adds a fixed minimum to the cost of the overall production of a set, no matter how many or few copies are produced) might account for it.

In general, the cost of one sticker sheet is more or less the same as the cost of one printed brick. The bigger cost associated with printing is less about the amount of ink or the die cutting process but rather the logistical cost of introducing a new element to production (and thus, having to schedule manufacturing time to produce it, clear up warehouse space to store it, etc). In this day and age, a lot of "die cutters" (both in industrial and home use) are actually digital and don't require the manufacture of a physical die for each pattern they have to cut — instead, they have a moving blade that cuts out the shapes desired much like how an inkjet printer or digital embroidery machine can recreate any number of digital patterns.

Ah, okay. I hadn’t known how the stickers were cut; that certainly makes a difference.

4 hours ago, Aanchir said:

This is part of why it's so common for sets that need a huge number of different patterns (like Speed Champions or Ninjago City) often tend to favor sticker sheets. It also means that if a set already has a sticker sheet it's cheaper to add new patterns to the same sticker sheet than to print those patterns individually on the bricks. The latter requires a new element for each individual decorated brick, while the added cost of the former is negligible. This is also why so many of the smallest sets like Mighty Micros, Microfighters, BrickHeadz, Collectible Minifigures, City starter sets, etc. can get away with not having sticker sheets — since they typically need so few decorations to begin with, the amount that would be saved by using a sticker sheet tends to be much less than for a bigger set that might need between one and two dozen parts uniquely decorated.

Well, I figured all that, but it doesn’t quite explain why a set like Doctor Who gets away with no stickers, when it’s exactly the sort of set that might normally be considered to call for them. Perhaps it has to do with the fact so many of the set-specific decorations are repeated.

Also, I feel like a lot of the time people tend to overstate how many printed elements there are in Ideas sets (and Juniors sets, and BrickHeadz sets, etc, etc). And often this has to do with people looking only at the presence or absence of stickers, and not at the actual number of printed elements — as well as the tendency not to think about how many printed elements a typical set or theme might introduce for minifigures and minifigure accessories.

A good example is the Saturn V Rocket set. A lot of people were astonished at its sheer number of printed bricks, and wondered why we couldn't get as many new printed elements in other big sets like it. But in many cases, we DO. The Saturn V Rocket introduced 11 uniquely printed elements. That is not at all extraordinary for a $100+ set. Even just from 2010 onward, 4195, 5887, 7327, 7964, 9450, 9516, 41180, 41239, 70596, 70816, 70909, 75021, 75094, 75104, 75157, 75188, 75219, 76035, 76057, 79008, 79010, 79111, and 79117 all introduced anywhere between 10 and 20 new printed elements. And that's not even touching on other, much more expensive types of new elements such as new or even set-specific molds.

Of course, as mentioned, a lot of these printed elements were specifically for figures and figure accessories, and as such many of the other set-specific decorations had to be produced as sticker sheets. Frankly, the sheer amount of printed building elements in many sets from the 90s and earlier can probably be attributed in part to the far smaller number of uniquely printed minifigure elements in most of those sets and themes. For example, there were no printed minifigure headgear (or even printed minifigure heads besides the classic smiley) until 1989, no printed minifigure capes until 1993, no printed minifigure legs assemblies until 1994, no printed minifigure headgear accessories until 1997, no printed minifigure armor until 2004, and no printed minifigure hair until 2006. Today all of these things are fairly common, and even expected for likenesses of certain IP-based characters. In this day and age it's not unheard of for a single minifigure to introduce anywhere from four to six new printed elements — just look at Cannonball Suit Harley Quinn, who is built entirely from six entirely unique printed elements.

Ideas sets which HAVE had a more extraordinary number of new printed elements are Caterham Seven 620R (14 unique new printed elements for $80), Women of NASA (15 for $25), Doctor Who (19 for $60), The Big Bang Theory (23 for $60), and The Beatles Yellow Submarine (24 for $60). But what all these sets besides the Caterham have in common is a large number of set-specific minifigure elements, often far more than comparably priced sets from larger themes. And even then, they're not alone among licensed/IP-based sets that have so many new printed elements — some other examples include 75917 (20 for $50), 75920 (17 for $40). LEGO Ideas budgets can also be partially balanced out by the fact that a good half of the sets to date have had four or fewer new printed elements, resulting in an average of about 8 new molds per set (the average has risen over time, of course, but this year's Ideas sets so far have had an average of 7 new printed elements per set, including sticker sheets — scarcely any more than the 6 new printed elements per set in this year's Nexo Knights range). Perhaps most importantly, Ideas sets don't have to worry about new/unique molds, which eat up a much bigger portion of the budget for an individual set or theme than new printed or recolored elements.

That said, Ideas sets still strike me as pretty noteworthy for their numbers of printed elements. I’m speaking not of the number of unique prints (i.e., the total number of print designs in a set), nor of printed elements unique to the sets, but total number of printed parts, including multiple instances of a print in a set - the Apollo Saturn V has about 30, Doctor Who has about 50, and the Old Fishing Store has over 60. Some of that is of course attributable to minifigures, which are virtually always printed, but much is not - exactly half of the 22 sets released so far don’t even have minifigures.

Two of the sets have no element decoration at all, and of the other 20, only five have stickers (one of them simply to provide optional decoration on what is otherwise the same build, facilitating a Japanese or US version of Voltron that either lacks or has the lions numbered; moreover, all but one of the sticker-having sets also have printed elements, sometimes quite a few of them). I think having three-quarters of the sets (with any decorated elements) in a line reliant entirely upon printed bricks for decoration is pretty remarkable (and all the more impressive and appreciated if it’s not a cost-saving measure for low production runs).

Don’t get me wrong; I’m certainly not complaining about the wealth of printed elements in these. I’m very glad about it. I just find it curious, and wondered whether costs of dies for cutting stickers might account for it. As I’ve indicated many times in the thread (usually with regards to what projects they will or won’t approve), I certainly don’t know how they make a lot of their decisions. I just just wondering if this might be it. But I will defer to your greater expertise.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

1 hour ago, Moguntia said:

Well, I wasn't Aware that the search function needed improvement. But sadly with this update the tags, which helped to navigate the projects by subtypes (e.g. space, castles...), broke. They do not work anymore.

I'm afraid this makes it harder to get registered ideas-users to your projects

Seems as if each time they make an "improvement" to the site, they take one step forward and two steps back. :cry_sad:

Pictures of the box have leaked. Looks really lovely, hopefully the suggested 80€ will translate to no more than £70. I will definitely try to buy it for Christmas, just need to be sure when will the GWPs in the UK be.

Edited by BenderBrau

16 hours ago, BenderBrau said:

Pictures of the box have leaked. Looks really lovely, hopefully the suggested 80€ will translate to no more than £70. I will definitely try to buy it for Christmas, just need to be sure when will the GWPs in the UK be.

I have seen a Picture on a German LEGO-Newsblog. They got the Picture from eBay, where someone tried to sell three of those sets vor 120€ each. And just in case someone qould ask: the seller pulled back due to an error in his offer.

If the Picture is legit it looks really like a must buy for me (okay definetly not for 120€). The cover of the book looks like a big improvement to the original ideas Project, but it looks like it has a gigantic sticker :sceptic:

And it says that there will be two fairytales included (Little Red Riding Hood + Jack and the Beanstalk)

On 10/4/2018 at 10:16 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

And there we are! The Flintstones and the Treehouse!

Just saw this.  Very excited.  I supported both!

On 10/12/2018 at 9:07 PM, Moguntia said:

I guess that explains why I'm not getting any new votes at all now...

9 hours ago, Graupensuppe said:

I guess that explains why I'm not getting any new votes at all now...

I don't know what exactly, but something is not working properly - after extensive promotional action (exhibition, leaflets etc.) I have only a very small amount of new voters. I'm getting frustrated by all this Ideas site improvement. They are wasting my effort...

2 hours ago, touthomme said:

Teaser for the Pop-Up Book was just posted on the Ideas blog: https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/f348095e-af01-4af2-8212-5da0d9626b2f

So exciting!

J

Congrats! It looks great, and I’m sure it’ll be an awesome set - it already looks it from what we can see there.

On 9/19/2018 at 1:47 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

... Certainly I don’t see anything wrong with a mutual support thread to increase support for all participants. But perhaps I’m wrong, and the Ideas team would indeed see it your way. I’ve therefore gone ahead and asked them for a ruling.

It’s taken a while, but I finally got a response (as an aside, I think the Ideas team is just wading through a ton of questions). Here’s what I wrote them back in September:

Hi. I have a question about gathering support for product ideas. In a LEGO fan forum I frequent, some members who have LEGO Ideas submissions have decided to have a mutual support thread, in which people post links to their projects and pledge to support all the others’ projects in the thread. Some other members have objected to this as buying / selling of votes, and expressed the hope that if the Ideas team were made aware of this they’d shut it down. A certain amount of debate has ensued.

I thought it would be best to go straight to the source and ask for an official ruling. Is it acceptable for Ideas members to pledge support for all projects posted in a forum thread?

Thanks for your attention!

And here, finally, is the response:

As long as members follow our Terms of Service, they are welcome to promote ideas and support each other via campaigns on third party websites.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

This set looks really beautiful to me! :wub: I also love this animated video that Lego have released.

Congratulations @touthomme you must be be really proud! :sweet:

Thanks! Extremely happy with how this set turned out. The designers did an amazing job!

15 minutes ago, touthomme said:

Thanks! Extremely happy with how this set turned out. The designers did an amazing job!

Congratulations for this amazing creation.

One of the best LEGO Ideas sets so far. 

I just posted this over in the thread for this specific set over in Special Themes, but since it’s relevant here, I’ll say it again here:

It looks fantastic! Well done! :thumbup:

Apparently, from the TBB review, the Wolf minifigure has the dark grey hands one would expect, but the teaser video shows it with yellow. They must have shot the teaser using a preliminary minifigure.

The final set looks like an absolute winner, and as with many recent Ideas sets a great one for parts monkeys even if one doesn’t particularly want a LEGO pop-up book. Certainly the figures look excellent for builders in historic and fantasy themes, and more printed trophy microfigures are always welcome. And the amazing wealth of SNOT bricks should be welcome to builders of all subject matter.

I believe this is the third Ideas set with microfigures (after The Big Bang Theory and the NASA Apollo Saturn V), the second to mix both minifigures and microfigures (after The Big Bang Theory), the second to have printed microfigures (after the NASA Apollo Saturn V), and the second to use them as actual “people” (as opposed to toy figures, statuary, etc.) populating a set (again after the NASA Apollo Saturn V).

Between this, VoltronTRON Legacy, and the Ship in a Bottle, LEGO Ideas seems to be having a great tenth anniversary year.

25 minutes ago, touthomme said:

You should be very proud!

This is a superb Ideas set. I admittedly have never bought an Ideas set for myself; I won Jason's previous winner, the Maze, in a contest, bought the Beatles for my sister, and bought Ship in a Bottle to sell after I had it signed by Jake (it was hard giving that one up--I really liked it).

On this Pop-Up Book, the parts are good, the details are great, and the colors are actually the same I used on fake book/safe that I built for my wife as part of a jewelry box years ago. (So naturally, I approve.) And of course, the function is so incredibly smooth, and very clever.

As for the price, I wish it were lower, but I can't complain it's not fair--it's just that I'm cheap :pir-sweet:. Maybe on a double-points promo, or an Amazon discount, I'd try and grab it.

Congrats, Jason! (and Grant, if you lurk around these parts, too).

On 10/13/2018 at 9:08 AM, Moguntia said:

....The cover of the book looks like a big improvement to the original ideas Project, but it looks like it has a gigantic sticker :sceptic:.....

Good news on that front, it is printed.

My only objection to the book is the lack of title on the shelfback. Some Andersen's tale would be also nice, but I understand the reason for not including more optional scenes. Having said that - I love this set!

4 hours ago, parsom said:

but I understand the reason for not including more optional scenes. 

Looks like the kinda of set you could actually work on your own interiors/stories.

Congratulations to the designers.