The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

1 hour ago, MAB said:

You lost me at the first phrase!

I think SW holds a very different place to say, Scooby Doo or Angry Birds. SW has been a major theme for two decades and if for whatever reason they decided to can it, then it is likely that it would stay canned. However, if there is an old theme that had a few sets over a limited timescale suddenly has a resurgence in popular culture and an Ideas submission got to 10000 votes, then I imagine they would be more sympathetic towards it.

I just used SW to make a point.. Say angry birds if you prefer that, if AB is gaining a lot of popularity in 5 years time Lego do not need 10 000 votes in a ideas set to understand that.. They would probably made HP sets soon now even if the FB movies were not produced, just because it is so popular and they have made them in the past.. Now Flintstones on the other hand is a cartoon from the sixties, so not the first thing they would think about making a set of, but then suddenly one gets 10 000 votes in ideas and they look into it and it turns out being a potentially good idea.. If now suddenly 100 very good builders submit one Flintstones set each, none of them will make it even if several of them get 10 000 votes since Lego have made a set from the license before regardless if it is active or not..

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I just used SW to make a point.. Say angry birds if you prefer that, if AB is gaining a lot of popularity in 5 years time Lego do not need 10 000 votes in a ideas set to understand that.

They might need prompting to make Angry Birds sets again if for some reason they became really popular again. LEGO is often a bit behind when it comes to licenses.

2 hours ago, Roebuck said:

If now suddenly 100 very good builders submit one Flintstones set each, none of them will make it even if several of them get 10 000 votes since Lego have made a set from the license before regardless if it is active or not..

None of them would get to 10000 votes as they wouldn't be allowed on Ideas in the first place.

Personally, I doubt they would ever pick up an old license that they have had before because of an Ideas submission. So why they allow old themes so long as they did not enter through Ideas, I don't know. I cannot see them doing LOTR or The Hobbit, for example, through ideas but officially they can still be entered once they drop off the active list.

56 minutes ago, MAB said:

Personally, I doubt they would ever pick up an old license that they have had before because of an Ideas submission.

NASA comes to mind. *But* because of its real-world application and educational/inspirational nature, it's kind of a different beast than traditional pop culture licenses.

15 hours ago, MAB said:

Personally, I doubt they would ever pick up an old license that they have had before because of an Ideas submission. So why they allow old themes so long as they did not enter through Ideas, I don't know

Sounds like we agree after all :tongue:

Just had an email from Lego Ideas to say I'm gonna be featured in their Weekly Digest due to be emailed out later today. :sweet:

Edited by Bricked1980

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Just had an email from Lego Ideas to say I'm gonna be featured in their Weekly Digest due to be emailed out later today. :sweet:

Cool! At least you’re getting plenty of exposure. I do hope you pick up more supports from it; your product idea is good, and deserves its shot in review.

4 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Congratulations! :grin: By the way, I just saw this post of yours over on Instagram:

On 10/5/2018 at 5:32 PM, rodiziorobs said:

NASA comes to mind. *But* because of its real-world application and educational/inspirational nature, it's kind of a different beast than traditional pop culture licenses.

Also NASA itself is not a true theme, according to their rules. They break this into individual missions.

But I guess you are right in a sense that they picked up Saturn V after having done one previously although I think they were branded as Discovery Channel rather than NASA.

Just now, MAB said:

Also NASA itself is not a true theme, according to their rules. They break this into individual missions.

But I guess you are right in a sense that they picked up Saturn V after having done one previously although I think they were branded as Discovery Channel rather than NASA.

Never mind those “Discovery Channel” sets from the 2000s; they’ve done NASA stuff more than once just in the CUUSOO / Ideas line - the NASA / JPL Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity rover, the NASA Apollo Saturn V, Women of NASA. However, they focus on different areas - Curiosity and Apollo are totally different missions, and Women of NASA (while it actually does overlap with Apollo) is really more about the people involved than missions themselves.

Each NASA mission is apparently treated as its own distinct “license” for LEGO purposes, just as Pixar (for example) isn’t one single license, but a rightsholder for a bunch of properties - WALL•E, Toy Story, Brave, The Incredibles, Cars, etc., and the fact they’ve done a LEGO Ideas WALL•E set doesn’t prevent people from submitting a Monsters, Inc. product idea. Similarly, the fact Star Wars is a currently-active licensed theme doesn’t prevent folks from submitting Indiana Jones or Willow ideas, as the current active theme is just Star Wars, not Lucasfilm in general. Same for Disney overall (itself the owner of both Pixar and Lucasfilm, as well as Marvel and a bunch of other individual Disney properties) - so, the fact LEGO Ideas has already done a WALL•E set didn’t keep them from doing a TRON set, as those were separate licenses, even though they’re both Disney properties. And the same for any other big entertainment licensing behemoth - indeed, they’ve done (or are doing) multiple sets from Warner Bros., for example (The Big Bang Theory, Adventure Time, The Flintstones).

6 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Congratulations! :grin: By the way, I just saw this post of yours over on Instagram:

That's it. I'm supposed to be in the email newsletter as a "Lego Ideas in the wild" feature. Shame about the cringeworthy mug shot and homemade t shirts in that photo haha. :laugh: Ah well, at least nobody could accuse of not trying hard enough.

7 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Cool! At least you’re getting plenty of exposure. I do hope you pick up more supports from it; your product idea is good, and deserves its shot in review.

Thank you, glad you think that. Hopefully it might give my project a bit more exposure. :classic:

Out of interest has anyone received their lego ideas newsletter today? I haven't had my email yet.

36 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

Out of interest has anyone received their lego ideas newsletter today? I haven't had my email yet.

The email? Mine came about two hours ago. Could you have gotten unsubscribed by accident?

Chemical Plant is the latest product idea to garner 10,000 supports, joining Dinosaurs Fossils Skeletons - Natural History Collection in the Third 2018 Review Batch.

33 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

The email? Mine came about two hours ago. Could you have gotten unsubscribed by accident?

Don't think I've unsubscribed myself. Also I checked with my brother and he hasn't received his email either.

I would normally have had it by now but I wonder if they send them out in batches and maybe for some reason it hasn't been sent to people in the UK yet?

Anyway, was I in it?

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

Don't think I've unsubscribed myself. Also I checked with my brother and he hasn't received his email either.

I would normally have had it by now but I wonder if they send them out in batches and maybe for some reason it hasn't been sent to people in the UK yet?

Anyway, was I in it?

Indeed you are! There are five main sections - LEGO Ideas First 2018 Review Results, Contest Closing Soon - Create an Amazing Family Moment, Contest - Build the Construction Machines of the Future, LEGO Ideas in the Wild, and Editor’s Top 5 Projects Under 100 Supporters. You’re in the fourth section (LEGO Ideas in the Wild):

LEGO Ideas member Bricked1980 pulled out all the stops recently as he brought his 

"The Old Workhorse - Traction Engine" product idea submission to the Steam toy and model exhibition at Mountsorrel Heritage Centre in Leicestershire, UK! Besides producing custom posters and and leaflets for visitors, he even extra creative with a "Please Vote" T-shirt that both he and his daughter wore at the event. Besides this he even managed to get his model featured in LEGO Fan Media "Blocks Magazine", which included an in-depth interview.

Show us your LEGO Ideas project in the wild. Find out how you can get your LEGO Ideas project featured here.

... and then some photos of you, your project, and its media coverage.

3 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Chemical Plant is the latest product idea to garner 10,000 supports, joining Dinosaurs Fossils Skeletons - Natural History Collection in the Third 2018 Review Batch.

Interesting project but I don't it will pass the review. It's too niche

37 minutes ago, Robert8 said:

Well, unless someone else got a second chemical plant project into the same batch... :laugh:

8 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Indeed you are! There are five main sections - LEGO Ideas First 2018 Review Results, Contest Closing Soon - Create an Amazing Family Moment, Contest - Build the Construction Machines of the Future, LEGO Ideas in the Wild, and Editor’s Top 5 Projects Under 100 Supporters. You’re in the fourth section (LEGO Ideas in the Wild):

Thanks for that. Actually my email turned up over night so it must just have been delayed for some reason. I'm really pleased with that feature, didn't realise they would mention my Blocks mag article as well.

7 hours ago, Robert8 said:

It may also be problematic for environmental reasons. After all the problems with Shell, I cannot see them doing a chemical plant set. There would be negative press about making a fun toy out of something polluting the world. Even if it was a green chemical plant, people would complain.

On 10/8/2018 at 10:16 AM, Bricked1980 said:

A traction engine, nice one!

You've got my vote.

21 minutes ago, xzanfr said:

A traction engine, nice one!

You've got my vote.

I really appreciate that, thanks very much. :classic: If you want to read more about the model, I've made a topic all about it over in the Special themes forum. 

22 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Yeah, it's the sort of thing I could see model railroad or plastic kit enthusiasts outside of AFOLs being interested in. Even amongst AFOLs, I couldn't see there being that much interest outside of City fans.

In fairness, there are a lot of City fans (it is one of the biggest LEGO themes, after all). There are definitely people who’d be interested (indeed, there’d have to be, for the idea to accrue 10,000 supports in less than a year). And while it absolutely doesn’t guarantee anything about whether they’d actually make it a set or not (as they take pains to point out), the Ideas staff made it a Staff Pick a while back, which surely indicates they don’t disapprove of it, at least.

Some time ago I might have thought LEGO would find the subject matter offputting in the way MAB suggests, but after some of the recent approvals which have surprised me many times, I wouldn’t want to rule it out. I mean, I don’t consider it particularly likely, but it’s far from impossible.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

There is an apparent leaked image doing the rounds of the finalised version of the Pop Up Book set. Apparently they're claiming an official announcement will be made soon with the set due to be released on October 26th.

4 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

There is an apparent leaked image doing the rounds of the finalised version of the Pop Up Book set. Apparently they're claiming an official announcement will be made soon with the set due to be released on October 26th.

The "leaked" image is of the project itself, not the final product. Unless they didn't change anything, including STAMPs

4 minutes ago, BenderBrau said:

The "leaked" image is of the project itself, not the final product. Unless they didn't change anything, including STAMPs

I thought that was the case but the site I saw it on was claiming it to be the final product.

Every single CUUSOO / Ideas final set has been revised from the original submission,  most of them quite substantially (a major exception being the Curiosity rover, for which the final set is very, very close to the original project), and I expect that to be true of future sets in the line. In particular, for something specifically designed with customizability in mind like the Pop-up Book, I’d be really surprised if the final set design exactly matched the original project.

Did the Shinkai 6500 have STAMPs? I don’t have that one...