The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

@Blondie-Wan that's interesting reading your last post. The rules are pretty complex I reckon so thanks for clarifying some of the those. Does that mean for example that if somebody submitted a model based on something out of Ghostbusters that it wouldn't even be accepted on to the site?

38 minutes ago, Bricked1980 said:

@Blondie-Wan that's interesting reading your last post. The rules are pretty complex I reckon so thanks for clarifying some of the those. Does that mean for example that if somebody submitted a model based on something out of Ghostbusters that it wouldn't even be accepted on to the site?

Heh! I wasn’t sure anyone saw my post before I edited it; I made this big long thing about the rules as I understand them, and decided to remove it because it came across to me as obnoxious and trying to make myself out to be some sort of authority, when I’m actually far from it.

That said, though... the answer to your question is yes. The other stuff I talked about was my interpretation of things, but here the rules are quite clear - they will accept no more projects based on licenses they’ve already used for CUUSOO / Ideas sets.

So, no more projects will be accepted that are based on the Shinkai 6500 submersible, the Hayabusa probe, Junichiro Kawaguchi, Minecraft, Back to the Future, the Curiosity rover, Ghostbusters, The Big Bang Theory, WALL•E, Doctor Who, Caterham automobiles, the Beatles / Yellow Submarine, Adventure Time, the Apollo mission Saturn V rockets, Margaret Hamilton, Mae Jemison, Sally Ride, Nancy Grace Roman, TRON, or Voltron.

Some of those had multiple submissions already, and any projects that were already there when they instituted the new rule back in April of last year were left alone rather than being archived, and if any of them are still actively gathering votes now and make their vote goals, they’ll be evaluated in review like anything else (though their chances of being approved are lower than most projects’). But no new product ideas based on those licenses will be accepted.

My latest project was "deemed to contain inappropriate content", with the rejection message pointing out improper capitalization and third-party images or logos. The only non-Lego image I used is a public domain national flag of the Soviet Union (which is also seen in several other projects, it's not even an object of copyright), and I can't find any spelling errors in my description either. Do you know if there is a way to find out what Lego found to be wrong with a project specifically?

51 minutes ago, Graupensuppe said:

Do you know if there is a way to find out what Lego found to be wrong with a project specifically?

I think I’d email them. :)

We didn’t note it here at the time, but on Monday of this week they published the first 10K Club interview for the upcoming fall review results. This one features the accomplished Alexander Paschoaletto, creator of the Embraer A-29 Super Tocano (Smoke Squadron) product idea.

The next announcement should now be about nine or ten weeks away.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

1 hour ago, Blondie-Wan said:

I think I’d email them. :)

I did, but according to the automated response they "don’t offer personalized advice about your projects".

3 hours ago, Graupensuppe said:

flag of the Soviet Union

I guess that this is the answer.

Over from Instagram, we have a leaked set number, MSRP, and DPCI for some Ideas set slated for this year:

• 21315 LEGO Ideas 2018_4
  • MSRP $69.99
  • DPCI 204-00-0320

Perhaps it's the Pop-Up Book? :shrug_confused:

7 hours ago, parsom said:

I guess that this is the answer.

Oh well, if they don't reply I'll just start by replacing the Soviet Union flags with suspiciously similar substitutes and see if that's enough to get it approved.

4 minutes ago, Graupensuppe said:

Oh well, if they don't reply I'll just start by replacing the Soviet Union flags with suspiciously similar substitutes and see if that's enough to get it approved.

This is very frustrating for you. It's not very helpful if they won't fully explain the reason why it was rejected. I can only assume it must be the Soviet flag, maybe for political reasons. :def_shrug:

It would help if you'd tell us more about the project.  Maybe it isn't the Soviet flag that's the problem.  What's the project about?

It's called "Vostok 1 - The first manned spaceflight", and it includes a Vostok rocket like this one, a stand, and a Yuri Gagarin minifigure. There's actually a few similar projects already, but I tried to find a better way to build that distinctive shape of the Soviet rockets with their four conical booster rockets. And, well, the images had Soviet Union flags in the top right corner. The images are rendered, I don't think there's any problem with their quality. And while English isn't my first language and the description I wrote is rather short, I couldn't find any obvious spelling errors or anything.

Edited by Graupensuppe

Maybe the problem was having the Soviet flag in the background of the image.  The person who reviewed your project probably didn't check to make sure it was a public domain image.  If you just submit pictures of the build itself, you should be okay.

Edit: I just looked at the projects you linked to.  I have no idea how to help.

Edited by icm
Added text.

So, I got a reply which states I can only use the national flag as stickers on the model itself (ahem?)... And That I Should Capitalize All Words In The Title. Thus I deleted and resubmitted the project and replaced all the Soviet flags with a simple, similarly colored logo. Let's hope for the best.

Edit: There it is. Thanks everyone!

Edited by Graupensuppe

1 hour ago, Graupensuppe said:

So, I got a reply which states I can only use the national flag as stickers on the model itself (ahem?)... And That I Should Capitalize All Words In The Title. Thus I deleted and resubmitted the project and replaced all the Soviet flags with a simple, similarly colored logo. Let's hope for the best.

Supported #3. Looks good! :classic:

8 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Fiat 500 F, by saabfan, reached the review phase today

I'm pleased to see this one reach 10k. I've been following its progress and I know the guys have worked really hard to get it there and have produced some fantastic images and animations of the model along the way. I'm glad all that hard work has paid off for them.

On 7/31/2018 at 5:13 PM, figura said:

Hi Guys,

I haven't been around here in a while, but I recently build a Mystery Shack from the TV show Gravity Falls and it went live on LEGO Ideas yesterday, so I am quite thrilled to share it with you. Let me know what you think and if you like it maybe even vote for it!

\

A bit late in my reply but I love this project! It's so accurate to the cartoon and seems to have all sorts of great features. Out of curiosity, do you have a topic or gallery anywhere with additional pictures?

What kind of shelf life do Ideas sets usually get? I don’t follow them too closely. I want to get 21314 Tron: Legacy, but I’m going to wait until the first of next month so I can get the Knightmare Batman Accessory pack as well. I’m assuming chances are high that the Tron set will still be there, as it’s only been out for a few months. 

Just seen that a new Ideas showcase article has been added to Brickset and my traction engine model is in it. :sweet::sweet::sweet:  https://brickset.com/article/37919/ideas-showcase

5 hours ago, Vindicare said:

What kind of shelf life do Ideas sets usually get? I don’t follow them too closely. I want to get 21314 Tron: Legacy, but I’m going to wait until the first of next month so I can get the Knightmare Batman Accessory pack as well. I’m assuming chances are high that the Tron set will still be there, as it’s only been out for a few months. 

I would have thought the Tron set will be available for quite a while yet. It only came out a few months ago. Ship in A Bottle is still on sale and that came out at the start of the year.

By the way, LEGO Ideas has just announced a new Voltron themed contest that they're hosting:

LEGO Ideas - Form your most imaginative Voltron scene! 

Have you ever dreamed yourself into the fascinating universe of Voltron? We most certainly have! There are so many epic scenes that stimulate our imaginations of life beyond Earth. Here’s your chance to bring it all to life in LEGO bricks, as the LEGO Ideas team is looking for you to show us your most imaginative interpretation of one of the locations in which your favourite Voltron lion was found after all the lions were sent away into hiding for 10,000 years by King Alfor.

One lucky winner will win a 21311 Voltron Defender of the Universe set signed by the LEGO Designer, Voltron merchandise and a $500 USD shopping spree on LEGO.com.

ENTRY DEADLINE: Submit your entry no later than the 24th September, 2018 at 6:00 a.m. EST. 

On 8/14/2018 at 5:25 PM, Lyichir said:

A bit late in my reply but I love this project! It's so accurate to the cartoon and seems to have all sorts of great features. Out of curiosity, do you have a topic or gallery anywhere with additional pictures?

It is never too late for compliment, so thank you! I just updated the project, so there are now more image of the inside. Is there anything in particular you are interested in?

On 8/14/2018 at 11:43 PM, Vindicare said:

It varies widely, including by region. In the US, the Curiosity Rover was barely available - sold only via phone and online orders (not in stores), and even then it sold out in a couple days; it became briefly available again several months later, but sold out again about as quickly as before. I think its total availability was less than a week, split into two periods of two or three days a few months apart. However, it was sold in stores (not even just LEGO Stores, but ordinary stores) overseas, and was available for months.

On the other hand, the Ghostbusters Ectomobile was around for roughly two years (with a few stores keeping it available a while after LEGO itself ran out). It came out in June 2014 (just in time for the movie’s 30th anniversary) and remained available long enough for its availability to overlap a few months with that of the firehouse headquarters, released early 2016.

I don’t have lots of hard data, but I will say it appears to me the Ideas sets based on licensed pop-culture entertainment properties tend to stick around longer than the other ones, which bodes well for the TRON set, I’m happy to say (since I want it but haven’t gotten it yet myself). But I wouldn’t count on it remaining a full year - IIRC, the Doctor Who, WALL•E, and The Big Bang Theory sets all were discontinued a little less than a year after release, though one could still get them at other stores for a while longer - so it’d probably be good to pick up the TRON set before too much longer.

Edited by Blondie-Wan