The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

If it was a set of an entire airplane (ala the 787 Dreamliner they did a few years back) I think it might have a chance of passing review. But I can't see that jet engine making it.

Engines of one sort of another have been the subject matter of model kits and such, so clearly some market exists. That’s not to say this product idea is a sure thing, but I wouldn’t completely discount the possibility (especially after recent years have shown us all how unpredictable the review results can be to those of us on the outside).

As far the space projects, again, one never knows. I don’t know how much of a conflict there’ll be with the existing Apollo Saturn V set - that set has been out a year already, while this batch hasn’t even closed yet and formally entered review (that’ll happen in late August or early September). The review results will be announced probably early next year, about a year and a half after the Saturn V was released, and then it will be even more months before whatever sets are announced are released. Anything’s possible, but I don’t know that LEGO is going to be too concerned about cannibalizing sales of a set that would be two years old by then anyway.

I don't think that either the M&M's machine or the Engine will go far. The Engine would have to be downscaled significantly and I don't think children would be particularly interested in just an engine on its own --- if it was a full vehicle, it would be a lot more likely.

The M&M's machine won't get passed because of safety concerns. Even if most kids would understand the difference between an M&M and a Lego brick, it only takes one instance of a child accidentally swallowing a piece for Lego to be hit with issues. They're not going to want to take that chance.

4 hours ago, Chiaroscuro said:

I don’t think it has market appeal (outside a few engineers). Besides, isn’t it over 20.000 pieces?

It does say 20,000 parts on the ideas page but I believe he means there are 20,000 parts/components that make up a real jet engine. Not the amount of lego parts included with his model.

Edited by Bricked1980

On 7/28/2018 at 1:12 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

As the sixth project to join the Second 2018 Review Stage, I personally think this one has the best chance so far of being accepted.

The Brick Fan - LEGO Ideas Rolls-Royce UltraFan – The Ultimate Jet Engine Achieves 10,000 Supporters

I would like to see this get through review, but I fear its piece count may be against it, unless Lego scale it back.

My two bits on the M&M dispenser is that Lego won't do it. Not because of safety, or licensing issues, nor the obvious supply chain issues that would introduce, but because of an (at this point) old company policy to not partner with food companies that aren't encouraging health among youth.

For example, McDonalds used to occasionally have actual Lego toys in their Happy Meals, but several (maybe 15?) years or so ago Lego decided to stop. Now when a new Lego Movie comes out, the toys are noticeably *not* Lego. They are branded cups or other such stuff, and furthermore are not licensed by TLG but by Warner Bros, who have licensing rights over the movie images but not Lego construction toys.

Sorry I can't provide a source for this policy, I remember reading about it years ago and everything I have seen since has reinforced it. If I'm wrong, someone feel free to point that out.

As for the model itself, it's a charming MOC, and makes a great display piece at home. Shoot, I myself have built numerous candy dispensers over the years. But it won't become a set.

I submit to you: https://ideas.lego.com/projects/f1e812d2-f446-41fa-b0b7-aa4f8f3bd945

I haven't been around much, so don't know if the topic here has changed from what we think are good submissions to only discussions of what has achieved support.  I would like to promote this project (it's NOT mine) because I think it's one of the few, smaller, original and creative projects I've seen on Ideas.  I also have strong feelings about it as a friend of mine gave me a poster for an art exhibit that featured that painting, and I've had it for over 30 years and it still has meaning to me.

I'm getting sick of the imitation "brickhedz" that will never succeed, nor the plates with a few parts thrown on top.  I know EB allows users to post a thread abut a MOC that links to the Ideas page (as long as it's not just a "support my project" page), but what about projects we really like?  I didn't know, so I thought here was the most appropriate.

Still can hardly believe I'm doing this but, BBC Radio Leicester in the UK have invited me to do a LIVE radio interview about my Lego Ideas project tomorrow morning. I am exited but pretty nervous as I've never done anything like this before. :blush: Still I feel very lucky I've been given the chance to promote my project in this way. :sweet:

Hi Guys,

I haven't been around here in a while, but I recently build a Mystery Shack from the TV show Gravity Falls and it went live on LEGO Ideas yesterday, so I am quite thrilled to share it with you. Let me know what you think and if you like it maybe even vote for it!

tumblr_pcqzrbViHI1rir6lho1_1280.jpgtumblr_pcqzrbViHI1rir6lho3_1280.jpg

tumblr_pcqzrbViHI1rir6lho4_1280.jpg

tumblr_pcqzrbViHI1rir6lho5_1280.jpgtumblr_pcqzrbViHI1rir6lho2_640.jpg

5 hours ago, fred67 said:

I know EB allows users to post a thread abut a MOC that links to the Ideas page (as long as it's not just a "support my project" page), but what about projects we really like?  I didn't know, so I thought here was the most appropriate.

Well this is the catch-all Ideas thread but I think I've seen dedicated threads around somewhere. I don't read or post in them so I'm not sure

7 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Still can hardly believe I'm doing this but, BBC Radio Leicester in the UK have invited me to do a LIVE radio interview about my Lego Ideas project tomorrow morning. I am exited but pretty nervous as I've never done anything like this before. :blush: Still I feel very lucky I've been given the chance to promote my project in this way. :sweet:

Oh my gosh, congratulations!!! :oh3: I mean, dang, did they say how they came across your project? How did they approach you with this invitation? 

7 hours ago, fred67 said:

I know EB allows users to post a thread abut a MOC that links to the Ideas page (as long as it's not just a "support my project" page), but what about projects we really like?  I didn't know, so I thought here was the most appropriate.

Well, @LegoMonorailFan has a discussion topic here at the Embassy subforum just for that! :wink:

Also, if wish to share any Train/Locomotive or Sci-Fi themed projects you've discovered over at a more particular discussion topic, there are these two respective threads:

8 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Wow, that's very exciting!  I hope all goes well, and that the promotion helps to give you some more support!

I cannot see the M&Ms making it, partly due to the safety issue of little kids accidentally eating a piece of lego, but also as the lego itself is not declared as food safe. If food is going to be stored in the container, then for some countries it is likely that all the parts will need to be declared food safe.

On 7/31/2018 at 5:13 PM, figura said:

Hi Guys,

I haven't been around here in a while, but I recently build a Mystery Shack from the TV show Gravity Falls and it went live on LEGO Ideas yesterday, so I am quite thrilled to share it with you. Let me know what you think and if you like it maybe even vote for it!

Done. Best of luck!

On 7/31/2018 at 3:20 PM, Bricked1980 said:

Very cool! That’s a fantastic opportunity. What project is it?

13 hours ago, MAB said:

I cannot see the M&Ms making it, partly due to the safety issue of little kids accidentally eating a piece of lego, but also as the lego itself is not declared as food safe. If food is going to be stored in the container, then for some countries it is likely that all the parts will need to be declared food safe.

I think that’s actually the primary obstacle (beyond LEGO’s assessment of the business case and whether they’d want to allocate resources to this over something else). I don’t think the threat of swallowing an element is actually a huge issue, as they can address it by simply choosing an appropriate age range, but complying with food safety regulations would likely mean dealing with inspectors for certification, possibly subjecting entire bins of elements for inspection. We all know the bricks are nontoxic for toy safety, but complying with food safety regs would probably mean an additional layer of hassles that’s possibly just not worth it to them even if the parts are already easily in compliance.

But again, you never know. And if and when the idea does get declined, we won’t know for sure if it was for that reason.

After a few weeks with the Ideas site redesign, I regretfully still haven’t warmed up to it. When we went from the old LEGO CUUSOO site to the first “LEGO Ideas” version, the transition was much smoother; everything seemed more natural and intuitive. The current design feels like a step backwards. I’m learning my way around it, though...

Edited by Blondie-Wan

18 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Oh my gosh, congratulations!!! :oh3: I mean, dang, did they say how they came across your project? How did they approach you with this invitation? 

Thanks. ? It all came about through reddit. Last week I posted my model on there but rather than putting it in the usual Lego subreddits, I tried a different approach and posted it in the one for Leicester, my home city, in the hope it might drum up some local support. It was from there that it caught the attention of the radio station, and they sent me a message asking if I wanted to do the interview about it.

18 hours ago, x105Black said:

Wow, that's very exciting!  I hope all goes well, and that the promotion helps to give you some more support!

Thank you. I did the interview earlier today. It was good fun and a great experience. I'm a bit disappointed though that it doesn't seem to have given me much extra support yet.

Obviously it's quite difficult to verbally give people a Web address over the radio, so they had told me they'd run a feature about it on their website containing a link and all the details on how to vote. So far they still haven't done this though, so that means a lot of the listeners would have no idea how to find my project, let alone support it.

7 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Very cool! That’s a fantastic opportunity. What project is it?

Thanks. It's this one, The Old Workhorse - Traction Engine. https://ideas.lego.com/projects/2a2ec583-9836-4868-8dc7-6b3bb0a2fe80

28128625197_4a0238be6b_z_d.jpg

41186847730_664eb3d9e6_z_d.jpg

7 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Ah, right! I remember now. I supported it earlier, I’m happy to report. It’s a very fine-looking engine, I must say.

Best of luck!

Thanks a lot, and thanks for supporting it. :sweet:

I'd already supported it, as well.  Congratulations even if you don't make it to 10k - it's a beautiful build, you should be proud.

Hmm I would say it doesn't have any chances but now with LEGO Ideas I don't know anymore.

9 hours ago, fred67 said:

I'd already supported it, as well.  Congratulations even if you don't make it to 10k - it's a beautiful build, you should be proud.

Thank you very much for that. :classic:

6 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

The Peugeot 205 Turbo 16 LEGO Speed Champions project by AbFab1974 has achieved 10,000 supports, becoming the seventh product idea to enter the current batch. Congratulations!

I like the look of this one and have been watching it eagerly over the last couple of days. It looks a fun model and I like the way the designer has presented his images of the model. The one thing I can think of that might stand in the way of this model is that it could be considered as clashing with Speed Champions sets, not sure if that would be an issue or not.

On 8/1/2018 at 1:18 AM, fred67 said:

That's a great job, @figura 

Thank you so much. I am still busy working on it, so it hopefully only becomes better.

I suspect any project based off a real car (regardless of scale) is going to have a hard time getting approval unless its something totally different like the Caterham.

If its from a brand owned by Fiat Chrysler, Volkswagen Auto Group, General Motors, Ford, Aston Martin, BMW, Mercedes or any other company TLG already have a relationship with the rules say it won't get greenlit.

So no Lamborghinis or Jeeps or Cadillacs for example.

Other vehicles not from a brand they have a relationship with have a very high bar to cross. The Caterham probably got made because it was so different to a normal car and it was therefore different to any of their other car products.

Any Ideas set that is too similar to products they already make is very unlikely to get greenlit (for example if you submitted a proposal for a technic crane it would probably not be approved because they already make so many technic cranes in various sizes.