The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

21 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Someone should do a true Amelia Earhart project, perhaps something like a "Pioneers of Aviation" set. Such a project could include both Wright brothers with their Wright Flyer, Charles Lindbergh and his Spirit of St. Louis, and Amelia Earhart with perhaps her Lockheed Vega 5b aircraft. :shrug_oh_well:

There is one such project:

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/06036999-0dcb-4fff-a8d4-de7cdf2e2faa

There are no women in it though. Plus I have to admit, I had only heard of the Wright Brothers, despite one of the others coming from a town less than 100 miles from where I live. So I guess it is unlikely to succeed.

I would also hope for some non-American representation. Amy Johnson from UK, for example.

15 hours ago, xadrian said:

I'd buy the snot outta that.  I'm actually surprised, but then not, that we haven't had more aviation.  SR-71 (I get it, it's military), Bell X-1, Tin Goose, etc.  Maybe even da Vinci's flying machine.

The immensely talented JKBrickworks, the same builder who gave us the Maze, whose Pop-Up Book collaboration with Grant_Davis is currently in review, and who previously had the Particle Accelerator considered, actually submitted a lovely da Vinci Flying Machine a while back. It would have made a marvelous set, but shockingly expired with only 785 supporters. I think too few people noticed it, or perhaps didn’t realize from the thumbnail it was more than a static sculpture; it really must be seen in action in the video to be fully appreciated. I hope he resubmits it.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

If The Flintstones doesn't pass out of that lot, then I'm boycotting any future LEGO Ideas set. I'm upset enough that they didn't pass the Agents of SHIELD set, but not passing the Flintstones one would be absurd.

Well, keep in mind the decision isn’t entirely in LEGO’s hands when it comes to a licensed project.

I'm sure they'll miss you.

The Flintstones should be an obvious choice, though, and I'm sure they would love to do it.  My guess is that we will just have to see if the licensing works out.

2 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

If The Flintstones doesn't pass out of that lot, then I'm boycotting any future LEGO Ideas set. I'm upset enough that they didn't pass the c set, but not passing the Flintstones one would be absurd.

I'm not very familiar with DC/Marvel/similar stuff, but didn't TLG had sets from "Agents of SHIELD" already? If that's is true, then it is clear why Ideas set isn't approved.

1 hour ago, zux said:

I'm not very familiar with DC/Marvel/similar stuff, but didn't TLG had sets from "Agents of SHIELD" already? If that's is true, then it is clear why Ideas set isn't approved.

They had a set with Coulson and the car in the pipeline. That’s the problem with pre-existing licenses. They already have a “to do” list spelled out in the contracts. (Not must do, but a list of everything clearly in the contract). That means these subjects are already assigned to TLG’s internal license groups, which typically means they are walled off from Ideas. 

Flintstones is interesting. Particularly as we never saw it in Minifigure form for Lego Dimensions. WB may be looking to invigorate the property. A crowd sourced fan designed Lego set is a great way to drum up free publicity and press. 

On 24/04/2014 at 6:02 PM, Darth Punk said:

The one year time limit is great. As many have said if your project cannot reach 10k votes in a year it most likely does not have the economic viability it would require to pass the review process. If anything this might force some people to better refine their project before posting it, rather than just putting it up and hoping to eventually get results. Which could in turn lead to a better selection. Not that it would stop the project dumping on the site, but would help to have a regular clean up of said projects.

Linking the new ideas site to the TLG site will also mean more casual buyers of Legos will more likely to see it and might be inspired to build something of their own. Which is really the whole point for TLG, to keep people interesting in building. An on going reality based contest and like all good contests a deadline is essential or you end up with stagnation which was a problem on Cuusoo.

Don't view the one year time limit as a hindrance, view it as a challenge. TLG is looking for the best sets, not just the good ones.

Totaly agree with it. 

On 12/05/2018 at 6:30 PM, zux said:

One set. It has never got the recognition it deserves from LEGO.

With the MCU, the movies are much higher profile than the TV shows, and a bigger priority for LEGO to do sets from them. And with there now being three MCU movies a year, LEGO is hard-pressed to even fully cover the movies, never mind all the shows.

17 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

With the MCU, the movies are much higher profile than the TV shows, and a bigger priority for LEGO to do sets from them. And with there now being three MCU movies a year, LEGO is hard-pressed to even fully cover the movies, never mind all the shows.

The thing is though, I don't believe any of these TV shows get direct tie-in toys marketed towards kids anyway, whether they be Marvel or DC related programming. There are collectables like Funko Pops, but for the most part, any tie-in merchandise related to superhero TV shows is aimed towards adult collectors anyway, right?

Edited by Digger of Bricks

On 5/10/2018 at 5:57 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

The immensely talented JKBrickworks, the same builder who gave us the Maze, whose Pop-Up Book collaboration with Grant_Davis is currently in review, and who previously had the Particle Accelerator considered, actually submitted a lovely da Vinci Flying Machine a while back. It would have made a marvelous set, but shockingly expired with only 785 supporters. I think too few people noticed it, or perhaps didn’t realize from the thumbnail it was more than a static sculpture; it really must be seen in action in the video to be fully appreciated. I hope he resubmits it.

Well, there's this project submitted just today, which looks rather nice:

Leonardo Da Vinci's Ornathopter by JakeSadovich 

Spoiler

5435484-o_1cde6mvhgi8q1las1uq1dpm3s0e-b5

18 hours ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

One set. It has never got the recognition it deserves from LEGO.

Well, that explains it - no new IDEAS creations based on existing licenses would pass the review. 

Pop-up book disappeared from projects in review carousel at ideas.lego.com. I wonder if it means something?

4 hours ago, parsom said:

Pop-up book disappeared from projects in review carousel at ideas.lego.com. I wonder if it means something?

It shows up for me.  

On 5/13/2018 at 8:14 PM, Digger of Bricks said:

The thing is though, I don't believe any of these TV shows get direct tie-in toys marketed towards kids anyway, whether they be Marvel or DC related programming. There are collectables like Funko Pops, but for the most part, any tie-in merchandise related to superhero TV shows is aimed towards adult collectors anyway, right?

I think it depends on the show. Certainly anything tied to, say, the MCU Netflix stuff is adult-focused, but I think things like the current Supergirl and Flash series can have stuff for kids. But I don’t know what’s actually out there.

34 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Still not back up on there for me at least. :shrug_confused:

Hmmm... not there for me either (on the home page, anyway). But it’s only one of five projects officially currently In Review that don’t show up, along with the Boat House Diner, LEGO Mystery Science Theater 3000, the Acclamator Class Assault Ship, and I am Amelia Earhart. I’m not sure, but I think it’s just a matter of there being seventeen projects currently in review while the review carousel on the home page maxes out at twelve.

Lego MST3K is still on there (on its own page).  on the home page it is not there.  

also i think the RuPaul idea wont pass.  i think Lego doesn't want to die on that hill just yet (with RuPaul not being family friendly).  maybe years down the road when people don't care about that but not now (i don't care one way or another about Drag Queens/Kings, i have a friend i use to work with that is a Drag King).   

Edited by goalieboy82

On 4/12/2018 at 9:28 AM, Digger of Bricks said:

Does anyone have a clue as to what's up with the lack of 10K Club interviews on the Ideas blog recently? For that matter, when is the deadline for the First 2018 Review?

On 4/12/2018 at 10:11 AM, Blondie-Wan said:

The next review results are being announced in "summer" of 2018, which encompasses a wide swath of dates from June to August, and there are only seven projects in that review, meaning that even if they space the interviews a week apart (something they don't always do), they need just seven weeks' worth of interviews before the announcement. If the announcement were coming as early as Friday, June 1st, and they wanted to space the interviews out a full week apart with the last one a week before the announcement, they'd still just need to put up the first interview... tomorrow.

And again, they don't always space them out that far apart, and they also could be planning to announce the results later - possibly months later - than June 1st. I therefore wouldn't expect the interviews to start showing up for at least a couple more weeks... though you never know; maybe we'll be surprised with Interview #1 tomorrow morning.

We do know from the last review (linked above) that they already approved one project from the batch months ago, and there might be more than one. Perhaps that additional decision is delaying the announcement.

I meant to follow up on this earlier, but let it slip. But anyway, they’ve done three of the interviews for this batch now (with the first back on Monday, April 30th, and the others following a week apart), and have... two left to go, since three of the remaining projects are by a single contributor (!). If they maintain the usual pattern of interviews a week apart and then reveal the review results a week after the final interview, that would put the review results announcement on Monday, June 4, two weeks and a day after this post.

So... just a couple weeks to go! And unlike with most of the reviews (especially this far before the announcement), this time we already know at least one project has been approved. I’m guessing it’ll be the Pop-Up Book, and I’m also hoping for more than one.

Note that RobenAnne has not one, not two, but three of his lovely maritime coastal buildings in this review, the most projects any one Ideas submitter has ever had in a single batch. Since the presence of multiple similar projects in a review can be considered by LEGO to be an indicator of particular interest in the subject matter, I’d say it’s not entirely out of the question that we get one more of his projects approved, to complement the Old Fishing Store (just so long as that earlier set has sold well). There’s no telling and no guarantee, obviously, but with three in a single review, I think this is the best opportunity and likeliest chance there’ll ever be for a companion piece to the OFS to be approved.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

4 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Note that RobenAnne has not one, not two, but three of his lovely maritime coastal buildings in this review, the most projects any one Ideas submitter has ever had in a single batch. Since the presence of multiple similar projects in a review can be considered by LEGO to be an indicator of particular interest in the subject matter, I’d say it’s not entirely out of the question that we get one more of his projects approved, to complement the Old Fishing Store (just so long as that earlier set has sold well). There’s no telling and no guarantee, obviously, but with three in a single review, I think this is the best opportunity and likeliest chance there’ll ever be for a companion piece to the OFS to be approved.

I'm really hoping that this will be the case.  I would love at least 2 of those sets, and I already own the Old Fishing Store.

I think the popup book stands a good chance of getting approved. Its totally different to anything LEGO has ever done (something that LEGO likes when it comes to Ideas products). Its something that will appeal to kids. And it doesn't look like it would be as big/expensive as things like the Saturn V and Fishing Store (and the yet-to-be-released Voltron)

The Voltron set was announced last year (early August) and really no news since then. Possible cost guess, but still no release date. The extra time has helped me in saving up, as it will be an expensive set, but wondering when or if it will ever become available. 

What’s going on LEGO? Any update would be appreciated.

7 hours ago, BitByBrick said:

The Voltron set was announced last year (early August) and really no news since then. Possible cost guess, but still no release date. The extra time has helped me in saving up, as it will be an expensive set, but wondering when or if it will ever become available. 

A new season of Legendary Defender drops on June 15th.  I'm hoping for an announcement around that time.

8 hours ago, BitByBrick said:

Nothing to worry about. :wink: