The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

22 minutes ago, Blondie-Wan said:

It's not exactly the same project. It is a very similar project, and one by the same submitter - essentially a pared-down version of the earlier submission

That's all you needed to say, no need to tldr rant...

8 hours ago, Artanis I said:

That's all you needed to say, no need to tldr rant...

Perhaps, but I did point out things that you or others might not have realized (and had you not found it a "tldr" post, you might have realized it wasn't a rant, just a set of observations).

:classic:

That said, looking back I do see my post was much longer than it needed to be. Perhaps I'll go back and pare it down later.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

2 hours ago, Exetrius said:

10/10 would read again. :wink::thumbup: 

Yeah. I can spot a wordy person (since I tend to be one :tongue:) and I thought it was succinct enough. :thumbup: I find the ins and outs of these kinds of contracts fascinating, though, so I may be biased.

I was exaggerating (when I said mod, rant, tldr), and I'm sure it was useful to others - just wasted on me like preaching to the choir that's all

The thing about piece count, I though the premise behind the Ideas was that the exact model may or may not be turned into a set - but the concept would be developed.  Such as the case with "Ship in a Bottle".  The set that was produced was significantly downsized form the model that gained 10K votes.  In the case of the Adams Family house, if it was not produced solely because of the piece count, couldn't lego have still gon forward with the concept in a down-sized form?

drc

4 hours ago, drclark said:

In the case of the Adams Family house, if it was not produced solely because of the piece count, couldn't lego have still gon forward with the concept in a down-sized form?

Yes. If they think there is a business case for a set, then they can change the part count and design and significantly reduce the number of minifigures as they please. Given that they didn't makes it seem like there is not a business case for a very large Addams family house/set.

I think it's at least partly because the size and piece count of the Ship in a Bottle project was not as central a part of the concept as that of the Addams Family house. They also didn't downsize the Ship in a Bottle from project to set nearly as drastically as the difference between the earlier and current Addams Family house projects - the final Ship in a Bottle set may be a bit smaller than the submitted project, but it's not less than half the piece count of the original, as is the case with the two Addams Family projects.

12 hours ago, drclark said:

The thing about piece count, I though the premise behind the Ideas was that the exact model may or may not be turned into a set - but the concept would be developed.  Such as the case with "Ship in a Bottle".  The set that was produced was significantly downsized form the model that gained 10K votes.  In the case of the Adams Family house, if it was not produced solely because of the piece count, couldn't lego have still gon forward with the concept in a down-sized form?

drc

They’ve explained it a bit in the past. Part of the review is if they can do things like reduce the piece count/parts budget without severely altering in diminishing the core concept of what the participants are voting for? For example with Ship in a Bottle the core concept is the ship in a bottle, not so much the scale of it. Whereas something like a modular building it is harder to reduce to a production profile beyondscaling back detailing such as fully tiled floors. It’s a judgement call at Review for each project. 

45 minutes ago, x105Black said:

It seems that the Voltron set may be in the range of $190 - $200 USD, according to rumors.

€179,99 is the rumoured price, right? For that money, I think we can expect LEGO's biggest mech ever! 

At that price point. The Lego Voltron is guaranteed to not have knees. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have hips or elbows either

2 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

At that price point. The Lego Voltron is guaranteed to not have knees. I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't have hips or elbows either

I don't know how you could make that determination.

2 hours ago, x105Black said:

I don't know how you could make that determination.

Most modern Lego Mech sets don't have knees and the UCS Hulbuster doesn't have forward and back hips. 

If this Voltron is going to be a combiner. Removing those for stability is a likely hood.

Modular Arcade, by Astronaut Avila, achieved the 10000 supporters today

4967525-o_1c0pv0cdd1eni11iu1gbd1jqo628o-ktI6GTtbUO5aIw-thumbnail-full.jpg

I don't think it will pass because it overlaps with TLG's line of modulars

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

Modular Arcade, by Astronaut Avila, achieved the 10000 supporters today

4967525-o_1c0pv0cdd1eni11iu1gbd1jqo628o-ktI6GTtbUO5aIw-thumbnail-full.jpg

Yay and congrats. I really like that one. I think Lego May be more flexible or forgiving with regard to Modular style building Ideas sets. I think the only real point of conflict might be with the Arcade. Just as Lego did the Ghostbusters Firehouse, I can see them considering doing a Modular style “Flynn’s” Arcade as a follow up to Tron. 

I suspect the high cost of a building that big would make it difficult to green-light as an Ideas set. The most expensive Ideas set to date has been the Fishing Store at $150. Factoring in the fact that Ideas sets tend to cost more than other similar sets, I bet a modular would cost at least $200 (in the US) and that's a hard sell for a product that gets limited production and a limited release (especially one without the appeal of something like Voltron). Plus with 5 modulars already on the shelves right now and several other large buildings (GBHQ, Old Fishing Store, Big Ben, Ninjago City) how would an Ideas modular fit in.

The arcade is very nice, as have been many modular submissions to Ideas.  I remember when a lot of us thought the Natural History Museum had a relatively good shot with its dinosaur skeleton and STEM features.  Projects of this size likely still face a significant uphill battle to actually get approved.  Probably the best hope is that TLG gets a better idea of what types of building its audience would like to see.  

Regarding the Arcade:

It's a very nice build, with some excellent building techniques, but I seriously doubt that it's compliant with the Ideas house rules: Considering the bulk of the building and the high grade of detailing (especially in the updated version), I'm pretty sure that it has far more than 3000 pieces. Not sure if that would be enough to dismiss it in the review, but it certainly won't be in its favor.

With a heavy heart I must also agree that I don't think lego would release the arcade. It's such a great looking set and I would love nothing more than to see it get made as an official set. I think lego are content with releasing one modular per year for now though and sadly I don't think that will change any time soon.

I would love to be proven wrong though and if this thing went on sale then I would definitely buy it.

21 hours ago, Robert8 said:

I’d really love to see them making even one modular on Ideas but they really need to give a chance to fans IMO. If no modular is ever going to be approved, then they need to indicate they’ll never approve any modulars and maybe other themes too if it’s happening (I also heard that they were not approving Technic projects if I recall correctly) to let fans not waste their time working on projects. I’m pretty sure someone already said that a while ago -maybe in this thread or in another- but I just can’t find it...

14 hours ago, jonwil said:

I suspect the high cost of a building that big would make it difficult to green-light as an Ideas set.

10 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

Projects of this size likely still face a significant uphill battle to actually get approved.

2 hours ago, RogerSmith said:

but I seriously doubt that it's compliant with the Ideas house rules

1 hour ago, Bricked1980 said:

With a heavy heart I must also agree that I don't think lego would release the arcade.

Well, I unfortunately agree... But his other project, Retro Bowling Alley has much more luck to be approved, we never know :shrug_oh_well: