The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

I would really like for the Christmas Story house to make it.  Its size could be a factor, but there are plenty of people who would want one.  It is different than the WV line because of its size and more modular appearance.  I see it a lot like the fishing store, it is somewhat modular and would blend in well with a town setting.  If you remove the "snow" from the house, it could be a good year round set.  

On 11/28/2017 at 4:18 PM, jonwil said:

Looking at the other sets I can see why Blues Brothers got rejected (too adult), Sega Arcades (too niche a product and also requires licensing that might be a pain to obtain), Quest Builder (they already tried something a little similar to this with Heroica and that didn't sell), Red Arrows Hawk (they have any number of jets like that already including an "airshow jet" in City 2018), Venetian Houses (too niche, a bit on the large side and competes with the modulars and Creator building sets), Jeep (they already have a relationship with Fiat Chrysler through their Ferrari deal and any Jeep would come that way), The Office (a bit adult and not popular enough with the audience for LEGO), Power Rangers (they are doing Voltron already so it makes no sense to also do Power Rangers), Surf Rescue (conflicts with Fun at the Beach) and Windmill (too large and detailed).

The light cycle goes straight on the "shut up and take my money" list for me though. I wonder what piece they will use for the helmet since I dont think the standard motorcycle helmet works for the characters in the film. This helmet https://brickset.com/parts/6097145/mini-fig-helmet-no-63 in black and trans-blue could work maybe?

Sorry to quote an older post. But everybody missed one of the main reasons why Tron succeeded. Enthusiasm and support from the licensor. Disney is building a Tron Lightcycle ride in Orlando at Epcot. I fully expect the reveal or release of this set to in some way tie in with that. 

As for Helmet? Probably the more modern Alien Conquest/Galaxy Patrol Helmet would be considered close enough. 

The Lego Ideas Facebook page posted this morning about the Gilmore Girls - Luke's Diner making 10,000 in three weeks. I'd love it, but I understand how it might not pass through review.

Here’s the final qualifiers for the third 2017 review period.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/eb30a864-2ad5-46d9-804b-121383e684df

Actually a better grouping than the 2nd 2017 review period. If I was betting I would say the pop up book, which just hits all the right notes. Very much dominated by follow ups to the Old Fishing Store. I hope that doesn’t eliminate them outright. I really love that lighthouse. 

Still much better than the prior undecided group, of which the Peru one is probably the most likely. Most of the others fail in a number of very obvious ways. Pre existing license. A set Lego has essentially already made. An add on for an existing set. Etc. I’m not seeing the Gilmore Girls Diner having good brand or consumer synergy with Lego the way that Big Bang Theory does. 

That yellow house... It has lot's of play value. But to be sincere, it looks a bit bland to mee. 3 are from RobenAnne, so a pretty good chance 1 out of 3 might get chosen.

My guess for a front runner would be the pop up book due to the uniqueness of it and the appeal it could also have with kids.  I would really like to have the Christmas Story house, but its size and seasonal aspect could be a problem.  With the timing of the review decision and announcement, they would not have much time to tweek the design and get it on the shelves before Christmas, which would be the most (only?) ideal time for its release, and it would be a long wait until the next year.  It could also be seen as a competitor to the Winter Village release.  Still, who would not want a light up leg lamp around the holidays?  I suppose the good news is that it might not be too difficult to design/build it on your own if you really wanted one.

Yes! I want the pop up books soooo  much!!!! 

Because:

- I'm a great fan of pop up books in general 

- In lego, it is a wonderful innovative idea (and in "lego ideas" I think it's a good thing) 

- it's easily customisable to create our own tale or story, something like a finger puppet theater. 

I think I could open and close it millions of times with so much wonder! 

And my kids too! 

Edited by sousmarineuse
Grammar

For the Third 2017 Review, I feel the Pop-up Book is the most plausible candidate for approval, as it seems to be this review's most novel project. But, I'm personally hoping we will see the Jaguar E Type get green lighted. :classic: *

* Since they are seemingly too similar too the Old Fishing Store, I'm pretty sure RobenAnne's three projects won't be considered, even though it would be great if they could.

1 hour ago, Takanuinuva said:

I hope we get to see the official Voltron soon

Same.  Very excited about this set.

10 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

I hope we get to see the official Voltron soon

Oh heck yeah! That one hits that perfect point of Synergy between all of my overly expensive adult toy hobbies. Considering how fast the Bandai Soul of Chogokin GX-71 completely sold out worldwide in under a month last year I fear this one is going to be tough to grab at affordable prices. 

The official Ship in a bottle set looks way off compared to the Ideas entry. Not liking it so far... the original Ideas was a big wow, but what LEGO made out of it looks a bit wrong. :sceptic:

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:40 AM, x105Black said:

If Voltron looks really good in both the Lion and Robot forms, I'm buying 2.

I'm hoping Voltron can transform and combine without having to be taken apart.

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

But if it does. It's only minor parts forming.

2 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

I hope so, too.  Still, I want a big Robot Voltron surrounded by the Lions if they all look good.

4 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

I'm not really a fan of the TV show myself, so I'm probably not one to speak, but I think it would be fun if each of the lions could rebuild (instead of transform) into their respective limbs. But I don't know how real fans of the TV show would feel about that though.

On 1/13/2018 at 2:55 PM, MatthewRC said:

I’m pretty sure it involves parts forming and some rebuilding of the lions into the alternate modes. And honestly, from what I see of the Robot and Voltron fan community they are largely fine with that. They just got what is not only the best perfectly transforming Voltron Chogokin last year from Bandai, but it is a strong contender for current best of breed for die cast robot toys. That itch has been scratched for now. They are craving the Lego experience and accept it is not the same as the Transforming Gokin toys. I think for most of them, it being able to hit a few poses will be more important than perfect transformation. 

The Red Arrow Ideas set definitely should have made it. LEGO keep passing on sets that would be hugely popular if released; this is the second time now I've disagreed with an Ideas decision (first being that excellent Agents of SHIELD set being rejected). 

I suspect the A-29 will be rejected because TLG produces all sorts of airplane sets already (the Aviation Adventures from 2013 being the one that is most similar to the A-29) and the A-29 has nothing unique or noteworthy about it. Although after reading on Wikipedia it seems like its still an active military aircraft (I would have thought based on its looks it was probably WW2 era but I was wrong) so that alone would cause TLG to reject it I suspect.

IMO Ideas sets need to be different or unique in order to be considered for production (if TLG has already made similar sets in the past in a theme like Creator or City they probably wont green-light it through Ideas)

All the sets produced to date in the Ideas theme have been things TLG wouldn't have produced themselves (Some like Minecraft lead to further sets but none of them are things TLG would have produced were it not for Ideas)