The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Just now, ChristopherLee said:

We had @Stash2Sixx hint/infer in the LEGO Star Wars subforum that the TRON set may have been approved. 

Really? Which topic?

Edit: Never mind, I found it in his last post made twelve hours ago.

Edited by Digger of Bricks

6 minutes ago, Exetrius said:

However, such a shame about Quest Builder!

Totally.  I think I would buy instructions for Quest Builder though, it's such a great idea.

I'm mildly surprised in the results overall. Quest builder is probably the one I would have gravitated toward the most, but given TLG's history with games, the size of the project, etc. I'm not surprised it didn't pass.

Frankly, I don't think any of them was a real standout, shoo-in kind of project. But, the Tron cycle has the virtue of being small, which probably helped it; don't get me wrong, it's a find project, but I doubt TLG would have chosen it from a group of stronger entries.

I know, I know, Ideas isn't a competition, etc. etc. But I have a suspicion TLG doesn't want to pass ZERO projects (which is why they have occasionally held one over), thus it was easy enough to pass this project due to 1) it being small 2) a good working relationship with Disney 3) many of these parts being in production currently 4) now they can reject future Tron ideas.

In other words, it was preferable to allot some production to satisfy a small but passionate fanbase than to leave everyone dissatisfied and weaken the Ideas platform by approving nothing.

1 hour ago, ChristopherLee said:

Kinda was hoping the Blues Brothers set would pass, but I guess they didn't because of the movie character's run-in with Nazis(?)

Could have been that (especially in today's political climate). Could have been not being able to get the likeness rights for both characters for one reason or another. Could be that the business case just wasn't strong enough—it lacks the sci-fi appeal of Ghostbusters and Back to the Future, and I'm not totally sure how popular or well-known it is with audiences outside the U.S.

Nah, Blues Brothers is a 1970's SNL skit and a 1980 Movie - neither were targeted at kids.  Only old farts like me remember them with any fondness.  Plus, Belushi passed away how long ago?  Not really relevant to today's LEGO target audience or even most AFOLs.

The Blues Brothers also skews a bit adult for LEGO; I mean, the movie is actually rated R. They don't do R-rated properties as a general rule; the only exceptions they've made with commercial sets have been movies that are part of ongoing, principally PG / PG-13 franchises in which the new installments have R-rated alternate cuts (The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice). I was honestly a little surprised they accepted the Blues Brothers submission at all in the first place.

On 28/11/2017 at 7:53 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

The Blues Brothers also skews a bit adult for LEGO; I mean, the movie is actually rated R. They don't do R-rated properties as a general rule; the only exceptions they've made with commercial sets have been movies that are part of ongoing, principally PG / PG-13 franchises in which the new installments have R-rated alternate cuts (The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies, Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice). I was honestly a little surprised they accepted the Blues Brothers submission at all in the first place.

Goonies, gremlins and beetlejuice are R rates aren't they 

Edited by Lego-fire

Just now, Lego-fire said:

Goonies, gremlins and beetlejuice are R rates aren't they 

Nice joke. They're all rated PG. Granted, many movies like these rated PG back in the 80s would likely be rated PG-13 today.

Looking at the other sets I can see why Blues Brothers got rejected (too adult), Sega Arcades (too niche a product and also requires licensing that might be a pain to obtain), Quest Builder (they already tried something a little similar to this with Heroica and that didn't sell), Red Arrows Hawk (they have any number of jets like that already including an "airshow jet" in City 2018), Venetian Houses (too niche, a bit on the large side and competes with the modulars and Creator building sets), Jeep (they already have a relationship with Fiat Chrysler through their Ferrari deal and any Jeep would come that way), The Office (a bit adult and not popular enough with the audience for LEGO), Power Rangers (they are doing Voltron already so it makes no sense to also do Power Rangers), Surf Rescue (conflicts with Fun at the Beach) and Windmill (too large and detailed).

The light cycle goes straight on the "shut up and take my money" list for me though. I wonder what piece they will use for the helmet since I dont think the standard motorcycle helmet works for the characters in the film. This helmet https://brickset.com/parts/6097145/mini-fig-helmet-no-63 in black and trans-blue could work maybe?

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 10:23 AM, ChristopherLee said:

We had @Stash2Sixx hint/infer in the LEGO Star Wars subforum that the TRON set may have been approved. 

He did do that, didn't he?  And yet there are still some who doubt my info...Oh well.

@jonwil you've about summed it up! :sceptic: However the windmill, Sega arcade, and Red Arrows Hawk would have been cool.

I also forget how Lego already has a license with Jeep thru Ferrari and those guys.

As for the Tron light cycle itself, I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out! :sweet:

Edited by LegoMonorailFan
Added more content.

Probably the only other project that I wished had been approved was the Medieval Windmill project. Castle fans would have been ecstatic over that!

5 hours ago, rodiziorobs said:

I know, I know, Ideas isn't a competition, etc. etc. But I have a suspicion TLG doesn't want to pass ZERO projects (which is why they have occasionally held one over), thus it was easy enough to pass this project due to 1) it being small 2) a good working relationship with Disney 3) many of these parts being in production currently 4) now they can reject future Tron ideas.

Well I'm afraid that will end up being the case with the next review, which is why I wish that Lego would have carried over at least one project from this review for further consideration, something that would have a better chance of approval compared to the six projects that are next up for review. :def_shrug:

4 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Probably the only other project that I wished had been approved was the Medieval Windmill project. Castle fans would have been ecstatic over that!

Well I'm afraid that will end up being the case with the next review, which is why I wish that Lego would have carried over at least one project from this review for further consideration, something that would have a better chance of approval compared to the six projects that are next up for review. :def_shrug:

Agreed.  Sad to say but the only one that seems to have a chance of passing at all is the diner.  But that one still is a lot like the Big Bang Theory set in that it is a cut-away of building in a popular TV show, so it doesn't have too great odds either.  Maybe they could announce a collaboration with the Surf Rescue creator for the next results if they don't approve anything?

I hope they don't pass anything next time, and I don't think it is too bad when they do it. I hope it sends the message that there is no business case for anything like < insert rejected project here >.

However many more projects will climb aboard before the January deadline, the Third 2017 Review will be a strange one I suspect, primarily since three of the projects are all nautical themed successors to The Old Fishing Store.