The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Aren't Lego's guidelines the most bendable thing?

This project aside, which clearly blows the ''No Minifigure-only projects, Minifigure series proposals, or “battle packs.” and some other in my opinion, the most interesting one is probably in the Keep your project’s contents appropriate; as in no violence, weapons, sci-fi blasters and death.

Your best selling theme surely doesn't sound that approtiate Lego...

4 minutes ago, RetroInferno said:

the most interesting one is probably in the Keep your project’s contents appropriate; as in no violence, weapons, sci-fi blasters and death.

I fail to see how this project isn't appropriate. 

33 minutes ago, ChristopherLee said:

I fail to see how this project isn't appropriate. 

As their best selling theme I meant Star Wars, not Ideas hahaha. 

2 hours ago, RetroInferno said:

This project aside, which clearly blows the ''No Minifigure-only projects, Minifigure series proposals, or “battle packs.” and some other in my opinion, the most interesting one is probably in the Keep your project’s contents appropriate; as in no violence, weapons, sci-fi blasters and death.

Your best selling theme surely doesn't sound that approtiate Lego...

It's not a minifigure-only project or a battle pack, it's a series of vignettes. If it were a $10–15 set with only around 100 or fewer non-minifigure parts, then I'd consider it a little more questionable. But take away the minifigures from this set and you're still left with over 200 pieces. That makes it even less of a minifigure pack than Luke's Landspeeder (four minifigures and less than 140 other bricks). Furthermore, the point of the "no minifigure packs" rule isn't to rule out every project that happens to be person- or character-focused. It's to keep out nonsense like the Star Wars Dark Bucket.

Also, the prohibition involving sci-fi blasters is no "large or human-scale weapons or weapon replicas of any kind, including swords, knives, guns, sci-fi or fantasy blasters, etc". Minifigure weapons do not violate that rule. The only time LEGO Star Wars has come close to including that is back in the early days when it featured life-size lightsaber hilts inspiration models in the back of the instruction manuals. The other violence-related prohibitions say nothing about sci-fi blasters — just "Death, killing, blood, terrorism, horror, or torture", "First-person shooter video games", "Warfare or war vehicles in any modern or present-day situation, or national war memorials", and "Racism, bullying, or cruelty to real life animals".

"cruelty to real life animals" is a weird notion. Why not "cruelty to animals"? What non- real life animals are we (the Ideas submittor) allowed to be cruel to, and why? Dragons? Zombie sharks/dogs? Fictional instances of real world animals? (if the latter, then how is anything made from Lego "real life")

24 minutes ago, Artanis I said:

"cruelty to real life animals" is a weird notion. Why not "cruelty to animals"? What non- real life animals are we (the Ideas submittor) allowed to be cruel to, and why? Dragons? Zombie sharks/dogs? Fictional instances of real world animals? (if the latter, then how is anything made from Lego "real life")

If the rule were to apply to all animals (real or otherwise), I guess that could mean for instance that a medieval fantasy project focused on a knight slaying a dragon would be considered "cruelty to animals". :def_shrug:

The Dive Shop, by RobenAnne, achieved the 10000 supporters milestone! 

2668048-o_1atdn093cpu831l1jn11lptgck7-thumbnail-full.png

This will be THIRD RobenAnne project to be considered in the next review

Edited by Robert8

8 hours ago, Robert8 said:

this will be THIRD RobenAnne project to be considered in the next review

Wouldn't it be easier for Lego to just give him a job?

Just now, LucyCol said:

He doesn't want to, he has a good job, a wife, schoolgoing kids, etc. in the Netherlands.

Where are the results for The First 2017 Lego Review? They said September on their little chart 

review-new.png

Edited by Lego-fire

On 18/10/2017 at 5:18 PM, RetroInferno said:

Keep your project’s contents appropriate; as in no violence, weapons, sci-fi blasters and death.

And religion. *Has a Christmas + Easter set every year* 

4 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

And religion. *Has a Christmas + Easter set every year* 

They are "holiday" sets. They in no way depict the "religious" aspects of those events. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't any sets about church or Jesus - only eggs, bunnies, north pole elves etc.

2 hours ago, Artanis I said:

They are "holiday" sets. They in no way depict the "religious" aspects of those events. Correct me if I'm wrong, but there aren't any sets about church or Jesus - only eggs, bunnies, north pole elves etc.

They may celebrate the secular celebrations, but those holidays are undeniably religious in origin.  But I guess that logic works for them, and makes for good sets, so I'm not complaining.

On 10/31/2017 at 1:22 AM, Robert8 said:

The Dive Shop, by RobenAnne, achieved the 10000 supporters milestone! 

This will be THIRD RobenAnne project to be considered in the next review

This is awesome news, and I'm so excited about it.  I really hope that at least one more of his sets makes it through.

On 10/31/2017 at 10:07 AM, LucyCol said:

You would think so, but as said above he is uninterested.  It's too bad, because his sets are very well designed and he would do well in the company, but I do understand his reasoning.

9 hours ago, x105Black said:

This is awesome news, and I'm so excited about it.  I really hope that at least one more of his sets makes it through.

I'm pretty sure Lego is going to maintain the individuality of each set within the Ideas portfolio, as not to approve of a set that would be considered a successor or part of a series to a previous set. But, I do think Lego will be considering more nautical themed sets in the future for other themes in response to the popularity of these projects.

18 hours ago, Artanis I said:

True. But in places where Chanukah or other festivals/holidays are the main sets, why don't they have those? :)

Edited by Lego-fire

1 hour ago, Lego-fire said:

True. But in places where Chanukah or other festivals/holidays are the main sets, why don't they have those? :)

Because most other holidays' secular traditions don't revolve around giving children toys the way Christmas traditions do. For lots of families with kids in LEGO's core target age range, Christmas is practically all about toys.

15 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Because most other holidays' secular traditions don't revolve around giving children toys the way Christmas traditions do. For lots of families with kids in LEGO's core target age range, Christmas is practically all about toys.

Not entirely true. Chanukah, kids get toys every night. 

3 hours ago, Lego-fire said:

Not entirely true. Chanukah, kids get toys every night. 

Perhaps, but even if kids get toys at Chanukah to anywhere nearly the same extent as other kids do at Christmas, I did say "most" holidays. If Christmas toy-giving excess is matched or exceeded by fewer than half of all other holidays, I think my statement remains entirely true, and I don't think there's a case to be made that New Years' Day, Presidents Day, Boxing Day, Día de Muertos, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Easter, Halloween, Columbus / Indigenous Peoples Day, Cinco de Mayo, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Life Day, Captain Picard Day, etc. are routinely observed with toy blessings rivaling those we see at Christmas.

2 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Perhaps, but even if kids get toys at Chanukah to anywhere nearly the same extent as other kids do at Christmas, I did say "most" holidays. If Christmas toy-giving excess is matched or exceeded by fewer than half of all other holidays, I think my statement remains entirely true, and I don't think there's a case to be made that New Years' Day, Presidents Day, Boxing Day, Día de Muertos, Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Easter, Halloween, Columbus / Indigenous Peoples Day, Cinco de Mayo, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Life Day, Captain Picard Day, etc. are routinely observed with toy blessings rivaling those we see at Christmas.

But there are Thanksgiving, Halloween and  Easter sets

Edited by Lego-fire

On 11/4/2017 at 6:51 PM, Blondie-Wan said:

It's that, but it also pertains to Ideas, inasmuch as it concerns acceptable content for Ideas projects.

On that note, I have to wonder if a holiday-based set would be the best fit for Ideas anyway? The production schedule for Ideas sets (which, granted, is probably more malleable than most themes) may not be well suited for the "one specific time of year" release of seasonal sets.

Of course, the discussion of religion is basically irrelevant, since the Ideas guidelines and Lego's own internal guidelines are not necessarily meant to be the same thing. No one calls Lego hypocritical for disallowing CMF series on Ideas while releasing their own internally-designed CMFs for sale, because in that case it's obvious that the restriction is not a value judgment on the subject matter but rather a convenience for ensuring that proposals submitted to Ideas are ones that can work within the much more narrow confines of the Ideas program. It should not be surprising if they might also want to tread more lightly with subjects like religious holidays in Ideas than they necessarily would for their own internal designers, since Ideas projects are more or less developed in a public forum, and Lego would not want to play host to religious arguments or disagreements on a service meant to be enjoyed by kids and adults of many faiths worldwide.

Edited by Lyichir