The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

57 minutes ago, LEGODalekbuster523 said:

I would imagine by advertising it all over social media. Twitter would probably be a good way to do it.

Ah thanks, I will try and hope for the best.:thumbup:

8 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

This guy reuploaded the Mary Poppins project. Exact copy of Niktierce's from 2014. Gave him photo credit but did not ask for his permission.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/7e27f75a-2e7a-4bdb-8cf7-e64f12e26b04

Looks like he just doesn't realize Ideas has to be your own work.. Doesn't seem like he has any ill-intent or wants to credit himself as the creator.  He even named the project "Mary Poppins LEGO Set Appeal!" 

Guys, y'all won't believe what I discovered on LEGO Ideas. Someone has stolen images of an expired project of mine to use for his/her own project!

Check this out: LEGO Ideas - Ben 10 Alien Force

This is the exact same project I made back in January 2015! It was Kevin Levin's Muscle Car with Ben, Gwen, and Kevin minifigures.

Link to my now-expired Ben 10 project: Ben 10: Alien Force - Kevin Levin's Car

I can't believe someone is stealing my work! What do you guys think?

16 hours ago, MatthewRC said:

I think that this is awful and I echo Exetrius's sentiments from the ninjago thread (which is how I found out :wacko::laugh: )

4 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Go to that guy and beat the shit out of him  Report the project. Only thing I have to say about this is: how low can you go! :hmpf_bad::thumbdown: 

On 27/08/2017 at 7:48 PM, ChristopherLee said:

This guy reuploaded the Mary Poppins project. Exact copy of Niktierce's from 2014. Gave him photo credit but did not ask for his permission.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/7e27f75a-2e7a-4bdb-8cf7-e64f12e26b04

these people have either have no idea what they're doing or no ideas of their own.:thumbdown:

I commented a link to the original Kevin car on the remake's page but someone else had already kicked up a fuss in the other one.

There is a button to report user below their name on their page and I would suggest you do this, thought I suspect that the creator of this project is quite young from reading their description which says it would include much more than is shown, I am surprised it even got approved ,but hopefully no ill will was intended .:def_shrug:

on the topic of lego ideas (shameless plug)- Lego Ideas project : The Witch's Tower-https://ideas.lego.com/projects/541647dd-e945-4887-8eed-f5e773a547d5  :tongue:

I hope these are 2 isolated incidents and not a new trend of stealing ideas. :look:

Edited by AgentKallus of Hydra

Shuttle looks very good, I would say way too big, but then there's that rocket...

Hassan and the other staff members at Ideas might like to know who's taking the credit for those projects, I wonder if they realise it or not that some people are pulling the wool over everyone's eyes ?

40 minutes ago, Artanis I said:

Shuttle looks very good, I would say way too big, but then there's that rocket...

... and the Fishing Store has even more pieces than that. And the Voltron set, while likely not as large as either the Saturn V or Fishing Store, will still surely be a large set as well.

I think the days when we could reasonably assume large Ideas projects (ones that would yield sets costing from $100 to $200 USD, say) have no chance right out of the gate simply, because they're large, are now behind us.

TLG may not be willing to green light a Space Shuttle project so soon after the Apollo Rocket. That and they did a Space Shuttle set in the Creator line this year (although not very big)

17 minutes ago, jonwil said:

TLG may not be willing to green light a Space Shuttle project so soon after the Apollo Rocket. That and they did a Space Shuttle set in the Creator line this year (although not very big)

It's a concept that they can pull from their own shelf any time; they have no reason to release one under the Ideas line. Just take a look at past set releases: https://brickset.com/sets/tag-Space-Shuttle.

@AgentKallus of Hydra Having someone else fixing my mistakes for me is quite a luxury! :laugh::tongue:

Edited by Exetrius

On 28/08/2017 at 7:24 PM, MatthewRC said:

Guys, y'all won't believe what I discovered on LEGO Ideas. Someone has stolen images of an expired project of mine to use for his/her own project!

The copy has now been taken down by the ideas team, so whatever you did it worked.:thumbup:

22 hours ago, Exetrius said:

@AgentKallus of Hydra Having someone else fixing my mistakes for me is quite a luxury! :laugh::tongue:

Anytime :tongue:

The deadline for the Second 2017 Ideas Review is this Monday, September 4th.

There are about four projects which have about 9000+ votes at the time of this post, with JKBrickworks's Pop-Up Book at the top with 9725 votes currently; so hopefully we will see a few more projects make this review before Monday's deadline.

https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09b6-0d4c-4307-9da8-3ee9f3d368d6/post/a6448002-072f-4f9f-8c86-0a04e150bafe

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Is it just me, or does it seem like since the new guidelines have been put in place, more and more people have been stealing people's ideas and submitting them as their own? Maybe since they can't do as many IPs, they feel like all the original ideas are being used up? Idk, it just seems weird. But then, Ideas is a weird fish! 

Okay, so one other project has made the Second 2017 Review before the deadline, and that is whatsuptoday's NASA Saturn-V Launch Umbilical Tower. It is the sixth and last project for the review, making it a rather small one. :sceptic:

6 Projects Qualify for the Second 2017 LEGO Ideas Review

Maybe some addition carryover projects from the First 2017 Review will be added on if they are still up for consideration; but if not, I'm somewhat afraid this review will turn up with no winner. By default, the I Am Your Father project is already not on the table, so that leaves us with only five up for consideration.

4763008-Projects_in_Review-HnLomVTTaiC1R

Anyone have a good guess what the most plausible winner of this review might be?

Edited by Digger of Bricks

I would guess none of those six as well.  Had the pop up book made it, then it would have been a decent possibility.  

Gilmore's Girls needs a license and probably has a limited audience

Wonders of Peru---nice but again, a very limited audience

Research Aircraft--probably the one with the best chance among these, but Lego has made a lot of aircraft already, especially with Creator sets

I am Your Father--Star Wars license, nuff said. 

Nasa Space Shuttle--shuttles are nothing new to Lego, so I imagine they would have their own in the works somewhere if they were interested

Launch Umbilical Tower--Not everyone who bought a Saturn V would buy it.  Besides, would the rocket even be in production by the time this could theoretically come out?  It would not sell well in the absence of the rocket.  

I'd say Gilmore Girls has the best chance. It hit 10,000 supporters very quickly, and yet a whole bunch of AFOLs seem to hate it and launch into the boilerplate tirades about how no actual LEGO fans voted for it and the audience is too niche and blah blah blah. All of which pretty much proves that there's a sizable potential customer base that is outside the usual target demographics, which means recruitment of new fans, which is a big part of the Ideas platform.

I'd say none of these. I've never seen Gilmore Girls, but it doesn't seem to be very child-friendly, or am I wrong? The Big Bang Theory wasn't intended for children either I suppose, but that set could justify its existence for a while because of the size of its audience, whereas the appeal of Gilmore Girls is severely limited in comparison. 

The Peru display is nice, but again too niche and specific. 

'I Am Your Father' is out of the question, there is no point for LEGO to put Star Wars in the Ideas line considering they can make whatever they want themselves (see the BB-8 model that was on Ideas, followed by the main line model LEGO has now created).

The Space Shuttle is a strong model, but again it's something LEGO already makes themselves time and again. It's arguably not new or unique enough to justify Ideas theming. 

The Launch Tower has absolutely no chance; it only works as a model when combined with the Saturn, a set which is being promptly discontinued. Without the Saturn on the market, the tower would be obsolete and would only appeal to a very, very limited audience of people who have the Saturn. Plus, I think the idea of selling something that expensive without including the big rocket itself is a bad idea.

The only set here that strikes me as possible is the Research Aircraft; however, it's been pointed out here that LEGO can and has made jets like this in the Creator line, so I'm not optimistic that this will make it either.

Edited by AnnaBuildsLego

Interesting.  I think I'll go out on a limb and say Wonders of Peru.  It's an interesting looking display, and certainly not your typical Lego model.

I've never even heard of Gilmore Girls, and I can't really see a Lego model of it selling well.

"I am your father" will fail for obvious reasons, it's Star Wars and I don't think you can really do the hand-slicing thing with a Lego figure.  

The space shuttle model would be fantastic, and I would dearly love it (in spite of already having Shuttle Adventure) but I think it's just too soon after the Apollo rocket. There have been a lot of space-exploration and Nasa related sets in the Ideas lineup, and I think they need to preserve an eclectic mix.

The research jet looks bright and colourful, but I think it's success depends on the current review - if the red arrow jet passes, then this would be too similar.  If not, it might have a chance.

And lastly, the launch tower has no hope of getting made.  The Saturn V is not retiring "soon", Lego put out another statement to clarify this after more rumours started, but it will almost certainly have gone by the time this set made not to the shelves.  And this set is useless on it's own - you need the rocket to go on it.  So much though I'd love to have it, I don't see this getting made at all.

Being as how fast the Saturn V flew off the shelves when first launched (Pun intended), in the UK the 2nd batch also sold out almost overnight, i would think the launch tower has a fair t middling chance of being approved.

12 hours ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

I would guess none of those six as well.  Had the pop up book made it, then it would have been a decent possibility.  

Gilmore's Girls needs a license and probably has a limited audience

Wonders of Peru---nice but again, a very limited audience

Research Aircraft--probably the one with the best chance among these, but Lego has made a lot of aircraft already, especially with Creator sets

I am Your Father--Star Wars license, nuff said. 

Nasa Space Shuttle--shuttles are nothing new to Lego, so I imagine they would have their own in the works somewhere if they were interested

Launch Umbilical Tower--Not everyone who bought a Saturn V would buy it.  Besides, would the rocket even be in production by the time this could theoretically come out?  It would not sell well in the absence of the rocket.  

Agreed.

I don't think Gilmore Girls will get it. By Wikipedia's measures, it got a fourth of the viewership of Big Bang Theory

Wonder's of Peru, that appeals to who exactly? People in Peru who build lego?

Research Aircraft-- Looks like a UCS https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Blue-Power-Jet-31039 Nice, but limited audience.

I am your Father- Existing License Exclusion :sceptic:

Nasa Space Shuttle- There were like two in the last three years, I'm not even going to bother finding them.

Umbilical tower -- Who on earth wants just the tower that launches a space craft?

So, we can chalk up this review to failure. And there's only six. :sceptic: Better luck next time guys?

Saturn V Launcher Tower will be blocked because its not allowed under the "no projects that are similar to an existing Ideas set" (the list there explicitly rules out anything more from the Apollo program)

Space Shuttle, LEGO has made several recently and would make their own if they wanted to.

I am your father is out because of the Star Wars license.

I think the research aircraft has possibilities. Its bigger than any aircraft TLG have produced to date. (unless there is something I am forgetting about). It looks really cool. Any license required from McDonnell Douglas would probably be easy to get (there are no shortage of F-15 model kits out there). Kids love things that look like "fighter jets" (even brightly colored ones like this that have no weapons). I for one would buy one.

Peru seems to have zero market so that will probably get rejected.

Gilmore Girls will probably also fail (I cant think of too many sitcoms or dramas with a big enough appeal with the right target audience to be viable to turn into a set, Big Bang Theory is one of the few that has the broad audience AND the popularity with the target demographic whilst being safe for kids)

On 9/4/2017 at 9:45 AM, AFOLguy1970 said:

On 9/4/2017 at 3:44 PM, NathanR said:

Interesting.  I think I'll go out on a limb and say Wonders of Peru.  It's an interesting looking display, and certainly not your typical Lego model.

The research jet looks bright and colourful, but I think it's success depends on the current review - if the red arrow jet passes, then this would be too similar.  If not, it might have a chance.

I agree, I think the Research Aircraft and Wonders of Peru are the most likely.

2 minutes ago, Digger of Bricks said:

JKBrickworks's Pop-Up Book has become the first project to reach the Third 2017 Ideas Review stage after finally achieving 10,000 supporters.

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-ideas-pop-up-book-achieves-10000-supporters/

Brilliant! That's really a worthy ideas-set, since it really offers something new and creative. :classic: