The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

35 minutes ago, DamianT said:

Red Arrow and Voltron all the way for me, think my lad would fight me for a Voltron set too. Must be a tough decision this time though as there are so many good ideas. Owe yes I forgot The Iron Giant, that one has potential too.

Easy to fix - buy 2, 1 for your lad to build Voltron, and 1 for you, and you can build the Lions.

Good call, not sure the wife would be to impressed though. The Voltron set will be a big one and have a big price tag to go with it :(

The deadline for the next review is almost 1 month away, and here we are still waiting for the results

Just to add to some speculation...

Voltron Season 3 trailer just dropped yesterday (Tues Aug 1) with Season 3 hitting Netflix on August 4 (yes just 2 days from now). 

Maybe we get an announcement this week?  It would be excellent timing. 

On 7/31/2017 at 4:29 AM, Exetrius said:

Dutch webshop brickshop.nl states the Women of Nasa set will retail on November 1st: https://www.brickshop.nl/lego/lego-ideas/lego-21312-vrouwen-van-nasa.html

It has a reputation of getting reliable product info early, so that's good!

That would mean the three sets for this year are all released at neat two-month intervals - the Apollo Saturn V on July 1st, the Fishing Store on September 1st, and the Women of NASA on November 1st.

It would be fantastic if they could just continue doing that and release whatever the next set after that is on January 1st, and keep going all through the year, releasing six Ideas sets in 2018. I've been wondering whether (and hoping) we'd see the Ideas line get bigger, and start yielding more than the current record of four sets a year (done in 2014, 2015, and 2016).

On 7/27/2017 at 5:28 PM, Robert8 said:

The deadline for the next review is almost 1 month away, and here we are still waiting for the results

Just think - if they wait until after that to announce the next review results, there could be projects from four separate batches (three complete batches, plus the heldover Voltron project) in review simultaneously!

4 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Just think - if they wait until after that to announce the next review results, there could be projects from four separate batches (three complete batches, plus the heldover Voltron project) in review simultaneously!

Well, never mind what I said earlier today. Over on the LEGO Ideas Facebook page, they just announced a contest - guess the review results, and everyone who guesses correctly will be entered into a drawing for a free copy of the Caterham 720R. Sweet!

My takeaway from this is that a) the results are coming very soon after all, and b) they are indeed approving at least one of the projects, as they surely wouldn't want to have a contest drawing additional, extra attention to review results that come as a letdown.

5 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

That would mean the three sets for this year are all released at neat two-month intervals - the Apollo Saturn V on July 1st, the Fishing Store on September 1st, and the Women of NASA on November 1st.

Oh, forget about that, too - the NASA Apollo Saturn V launched on June 1, not July 1. Man, I must be going senile. *huh*

Interesting about the contest.  I do not do Facebook, so will not be making an official guess.  I concur that at least one thing was chosen if there is a contest.  Also, I am holding on to my theory that the delay is all about Voltron.  Since they held it over from the previous review, they were obviously interested.   So the big question is, were they able to work out the licensing end of it?

OK, now for my crazy prediction:  They do not approve the Voltron project, because they decided to make it the next Lego theme instead of just a one off Ideas set.  Great for fans, not so great for the designer.  The Tram gets approved as the next Ideas set.  Just the right size, something new for Ideas, they are found worldwide, and something compatible with the track system will sell.  

39 minutes ago, AFOLguy1970 said:

OK, now for my crazy prediction:  They do not approve the Voltron project, because they decided to make it the next Lego theme instead of just a one off Ideas set.  Great for fans, not so great for the designer.

An intention to produce a whole theme wouldn't keep them from doing the Voltron set; they've launched themes before using CUUSOO / Ideas sets more than once, after all, as seen with Minecraft and Ghostbusters (as well as Back to the Future, Doctor Who, and Adventure Time all getting LEGO Dimensions packs in addition to their CUUSOO / Ideas sets).

I honestly hate to be this kind of guy, but if we're using the idea of Voltron getting a new season for a reason why Voltron to be accepted, The Iron Giant was just recently shown to be in Ready Player One, and it will have a MAJOR role in the movie. Could that push TIG to be accepted?

3 hours ago, legonerd54321 said:

I honestly hate to be this kind of guy, but if we're using the idea of Voltron getting a new season for a reason why Voltron to be accepted, The Iron Giant was just recently shown to be in Ready Player One, and it will have a MAJOR role in the movie. Could that push TIG to be accepted?

Personally, I would like to see the Voltron project, the Iron Giant project, the 1950's Diner project, and the Vintage Tram project all get approved for this review. Yes, I know, that would never happen, but I'd really hate to see any one of those four projects get rejected. :sad:

Regarding Iron Giant's appearance in Ready Player One, Spielberg said during the SDCC panel Q&A that his role in the film is a major one, not just merely an easter egg. So perhaps this might be taken into account by Lego if that is case. :classic:

http://screenrant.com/ready-player-one-iron-giant-explained/

Edited by Digger of Bricks

So the ideas results are coming later today apparantly. And it seems at least one project will be approved, since LEGO Ideas have a competition running about the results, and would be pretty lame if the result is no approved projects.

My guess is one or two of the diner, Iron Giant, vintage tram and ship in a bottle. The others are more unlikely I think due to size, license etc.

1 minute ago, Boromir said:

So the ideas results are coming later today apparantly. And it seems at least one project will be approved, since LEGO Ideas have a competition running about the results, and would be pretty lame if the result is no approved projects.

My guess is one or two of the diner, Iron Giant, vintage tram and ship in a bottle. The others are more unlikely I think due to size, license etc.

Can't wait to see what the results are! :sweet:

Like you said, a competition does suggest the review won't be a dud; and looking at the options again, it really does seem to boil down to those four. I hope this review does approve two of the projects as opposed to one, to make up for the lackluster result of the last project.

13 hours ago, legonerd54321 said:

I didn't mean to suggest that Voltron was happening because season 3 drops tomorrow. I was merely suggesting that the announcement of its section is timed to the release. 

I do think the delay was related to Voltron. I then think that they decided to wait until the drop of season 3 to announce it. I'm sure LEGO would have liked to announce it a couple week ago - I suspect they had this all tied up just before Comic Con but wanted to do the cross promotion. 

No inside info, just my theory. If Voltron doesn't get announced today I will definitely be bummed!

The Ship in a Bottle project?! *huh*

Wow, I really wasn't counting on that one due to the bottle's unusual construction; but on the bright side, we will be getting four of those unusual quarter dome pieces from 1992's 6416 Poolside Paradise, which is rather cool. :sweet:

Due to this project's delayed announcement, you just knew Voltron was going to be approved; and although I'm not really a fan of the source material, it certainly will make for a most impressive set!

So, who's going to start the 1st Review 2017 guessing game thread?

Edited by Digger of Bricks

Yes!  So happy to hear about Voltron.  I will buy 2!

Hopefully Quest Builder or Venetian Houses will be picked from the next batch!

Edited by x105Black

48 minutes ago, x105Black said:

Yes!  So happy to hear about Voltron.  I will buy 2!

Me too!  I am SO happy to have Voltron.  I will definitely be buying two - gotta have my Voltron and my Lions standing next to one another.

There were a ton of really good projects this time around.  I really like the Ship in the Bottle set - it appears to my love of LEGO ships, and my love of Micro LEGO sets.  I also really dug that Vintage Tram, and thought that would look great.  It's a bummer it didn't happen.

I'm glad Voltron is being made into a real LEGO set. Believe it or not, this will mark the first time for LEGO to release a set based on an anime series originally from Japan!

1 hour ago, MatthewRC said:

I'm glad Voltron is being made into a real LEGO set. Believe it or not, this will mark the first time for LEGO to release a set based on an anime series originally from Japan!

I just hope it will be able to transform and not just be a figure of the mecha. It will have to be scaled down probably though.

Just now, Takanuinuva said:

I just hope it will be able to transform and not just be a figure of the mecha. It will have to be scaled down probably though.

Me too. I'm pretty sure the designers will be able to make the lions combine to form Voltron.

I'm so thrilled for Voltron. The proposed set is just so good. A work of art. I'm so thrilled for len. The ship in the bottle doesn't surprise me that much. It's distinct and different. A new and fascinating use of Lego, which seems to be a key element to Ideas sets chosen. They look for things we have never ever seen before. As much as I wanted the diner, it's a good choice. Besides I can't be too critical, the Voltron news just made my day.