The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

@Blondie-Wan the qualifying period for the next review ended yesterday. There are 11 projects this time. Do you want to make the guessing game? I made the last one.  :classic:

Edited by Robert8

11 hours ago, BrickJagger said:

I'll have to try this in a bit. Looks like I can't view the posts yet, is it members-only?

Fixed! Sorry, there was an old setting left on, you should be able to view most forums now.

1 hour ago, microscalemodeller1 said:

what do you think of this? https://ideas.lego.com/projects/174943

There was a PBS show that focused on Petra. I haven't compared your creation to actual pictures but I feel it looks good. It's not a project that interests me as I'm not that fond of microscale.

On 5/9/2017 at 2:28 PM, dulsi said:

It's not a project that interests me as I'm not that fond of microscale.

Same.

3 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

Geez. I've never seen anything like that on Ideas before. That's crazy!

I remember seeing a copy of @nico71's BJ Badwin trophy truck. There were people that thought that it was made by the poster. I did what I was suposed to do: report it. The project got taken down shortly after.

On May 13, 2017 at 2:32 AM, L@go said:

I'm assuming this is your project. In which case you've got some nerve - first stealing Letranger Absurde's pictures and posting the project as your own on Ideas, and then asking for support here.

Good work noticing that and sharing the information. They also made a separate thread on here about it in Special Themes. 

The project was also already shared on Eurobricks last year by member Vitreolum (Letranger Absurde). I got a good laugh. See his post at the bottom:head_back:

There are 3 more 10k club posts to go (9 down), and I expect that the next Ideas results will be posted soon after that.

1 hour ago, Robert8 said:

"Gilmore Girls - Luke's Diner" by Rainer ZufallOn achieved the 10000 supporterts in less than a month

2959757-o_1betlquvi1t5c1q45vg1aulh2a7-full.png

Since I don't really watch TV I have no idea what the series is about, but the diner itself looks very, very good. I would buy it just for the sake of the model, to be honest :wink:

2 hours ago, Robert8 said:

"Gilmore Girls - Luke's Diner" by Rainer ZufallOn achieved the 10000 supporterts in less than a month

As far as I know the audience within Lego fans itself isn't wide enough for that project. Honestly, I think it would be a waste to use a production slot for that project, so I hope it isn't approved.

Edited by BrickHat

That's a really nice moc/vig. I wouldn't have thought that many fans of that show would want Lego.

Sometimes I wonder, when I see projects like this that go from gaining a few supporters a day to thousands the next day. Does someone really influential on Twitter discover it or something? lol

7 hours ago, Littleworlds said:

Since I don't really watch TV I have no idea what the series is about, but the diner itself looks very, very good. I would buy it just for the sake of the model, to be honest :wink:

Same here, there are a lot of great parts and mini builds in that like the Diner Stools and tables. And I think with a bit of shaping, you could make the Cafe from Friends.

10 hours ago, BrickHat said:

As far as I know the audience within Lego fans itself isn't wide enough for that project. Honestly, I think it would be a waste to use a production slot for that project, so I hope it isn't approved.

6 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

Sometimes I wonder, when I see projects like this that go from gaining a few supporters a day to thousands the next day. Does someone really influential on Twitter discover it or something? lol

Social media most likely plays a factor. Therefore, most of the 10,000 voters are probably not AFOLs, with many Ideas accounts maybe created by non-AFOLs to support such a project.

The question is, is this the case for most 10K projects? :def_shrug:

15 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

Social media most likely plays a factor. Therefore, most of the 10,000 voters are probably not AFOLs, with many Ideas accounts maybe created by non-AFOLs to support such a project.

I know for one that Sean Gunn shared that project.  He was actually an actor in it.  That probably helped.

22 hours ago, Elysiumfountain said:

Such things are a fairly common occurrence with projects that garner lots of support. Utilizing social media to promote a project is expected; it's a fundamental part of the Ideas process.

On May 21, 2017 at 9:34 PM, BrickHat said:

How would you know? Lots of people who aren't quite what we'd consider AFOLs do still enjoy LEGO; it's a significant part of childhood for many, many, many people, after all.

Besides, part of the whole reason for being of LEGO Ideas is to pitch and produce new sets outside the bounds of what LEGO already produces. It's not supposed to appeal solely to LEGO fans (though obviously we're among the target audience for it; it's just not exclusively for us). Someone who is a Gilmore Girls fan may be inclined to purchase Gilmore Girls merchandise without necessarily being a fan of that type of product otherwise.

In fact, that's a significant part of the value of the Ideas program to LEGO itself - after all, they hardly need any help from outside to come up with Star Wars and Marvel sets that already sell to fans of those properties, but there are any number of other entertainment properties whose fans may or may not already buy LEGO otherwise, but who might be inclined to buy a set based on subject matter they love. LEGO would surely like to produce sets that appeal to people outside their existing customer base (and thus sell LEGO to people who don't already routinely buy it) than to people in their existing fanbase who already buy as much LEGO as they can anyway.

Something like Gilmore Girls may seem a long shot, and it's more than possible it'll be declined just as the Golden Girls project was (and indeed, as the great majority of Ideas projects are), but it's worth it to LEGO to give it consideration.

16 hours ago, Digger of Bricks said:

I'm sure it's a factor for just about all of them, even if the extent to which it's a factor varies from project to project. I'd bet that virtually every project to get a large number of votes got them from a combination of voters who are fans of LEGO, voters who are fans of the subject matter, and voters who are fans of both.

I'm finding it quite hard to get traction.  There's a model of Thunderbird 1 which is going great guns at the moment, but there's clearly a Twitter account driving that.  If you don't happen to have a big following to hang your idea off, the set itself is going to have to be pretty impressive.  It's interesting now that Star Wars ideas have been blocked, because the volume of new projects seems to have dropped - all the old Star Wars ideas are still active however, which is only fair of course.  This might mean that other projects might now get a bit more love because there's less "noise".  Wish I'd come across it sooner, it's a nice positive place!

Hey, guys. I have a project I want to share on EuroBricks, but where should I share it? Should it be on this thread or somewhere else?

Just now, MatthewRC said:

Hey, guys. I have a project I want to share on EuroBricks, but where should I share it? Should it be on this thread or somewhere else?

Sharing, or promoting? You can promote your project as a banner or link in your signature (basically no restrictions), otherwise you can present your creation as a MOC in its own topic, where you are allowed to give a single link to the Ideas page of your project. 

If you have found a cool project of someone else and you simply want to discuss it, you are here at the right address. :classic:

Hope that helps you, otherwise you can refer to the guidelines or ask a moderator. 

6 hours ago, Exetrius said:

Sharing, or promoting? You can promote your project as a banner or link in your signature (basically no restrictions), otherwise you can present your creation as a MOC in its own topic, where you are allowed to give a single link to the Ideas page of your project. 

If you have found a cool project of someone else and you simply want to discuss it, you are here at the right address. :classic:

Hope that helps you, otherwise you can refer to the guidelines or ask a moderator. 

Well, technically both. However, I don't know how I can make a signature on Eurobricks. How do I make one?

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out myself.

Edited by MatthewRC
Figured out how to make signature.