The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

2 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

I think it's hilarious how the set has exactly 1969 pieces. That has to be intentional.

It's a great Easter egg, and an awesome build. Glad to see they included all three astronauts: Michael Collins too often gets forgotten about. I assume he's the one next to the moon diarama, rather than standing on it.

2 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

I think it's hilarious how the set has exactly 1969 pieces. That has to be intentional.

I'm sure. I can't help but think the designers must have tweaked the piece count once they realized it would be in that ballpark, so that they could get that number.

This is one giant leap for LEGO Ideas. It's by far the largest Ideas set yet, both in terms of the physical size of the completed model and the piece count, which isn't merely the highest yet, it's well over twice the piece count of the next-largest set (the Caterham) - in fact, it's actually closer to three times the Caterham's piece count than twice. It's naturally also the most expensive, though surprisingly not by nearly as much as one might expect given the piece count - I could easily have seen this going for $200. Beyond that, this is also the first Ideas set to have nanofigures (or microfigures, whichever the trophy figures are called).

Remarkably, as large as it is, it's quite possible its records will be broken with the very next set, since the Old Fishing Store could easily surpass it in both piece count and price (though this will certainly remain unsurpassed in sheer height, of course). 

Now that they released such a big ideas set (in piece count and hight). Makes me wonder what 21310 - Old Fishing Store will give. The Apollo 11 is a really good step forward! 

Indeed. So much for all those confidently pessimistic predictions we'd never get an Ideas set with 1000 pieces or more.

Hasan from the Ideas team made a reply to a comment on the site not long ago that strongly suggested the Old Fishing Store would be over 1500 pieces, as well.

Wow that is awesome! It's so weird to see over a long period of time which project shoot straight to the top and which limp along until they die. Because for every 1 project that makes it to 1000, there are 10 that linger in the 5000-9000 period forever, 100 that limp along in the 1000-5000 range, and 1000 that never even make it past 100. I've always wondered how this is sometimes, because a lot of the perfectly viable projects are in that third category. Maybe the submitter doesn't have enough social media followers? 

1 hour ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Beyond that, this is also the first Ideas set to have nanofigures (or microfigures, whichever the trophy figures are called).

Big bang theory had them I think?

19 minutes ago, Han solo died said:

Big bang theory had them I think?

Omigosh, you're right! My mistake.

Though in my defense, in that set they weren't the actual "people" of the set, but represented, well... figures. Here they're *the* figures representing the set's actual population.

But man, I really have been getting it wrong with those. Earlier today I noted on Facebook that this is the first time the nanofigures have appeared in white, only to have it pointed out they're also in the Capitol Building set in the Architecture line.

Those tiny figures are cool, and they fit the scale really well, but I can't help myself from wanting to see full-sized minifigure representations of the astronauts.  Maybe the other NASA set will be tweaked to include them.

Edited by x105Black

If you mean the upcoming Women of NASA one, I'm sure it won't, since the project is explicitly about women and there were no female Apollo astronauts. I'm absolutely certain it will have at least one or two other astronauts, though.

On April 24, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Robert8 said:

Medieval Watermill by fishingtwister achieved the 10000 votes tonight

Yes! I support most medieval style/castle/historic themed Ideas I can find specifically because there's not enough. I know people are saying its a long shot to pass review but here's hoping. 

7 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

That is awesome. 

3 hours ago, Blondie-Wan said:

Omigosh, you're right! My mistake.

Though in my defense, in that set they weren't the actual "people" of the set, but represented, well... figures. Here they're *the* figures representing the set's actual population.

But man, I really have been getting it wrong with those. Earlier today I noted on Facebook that this is the first time the nanofigures have appeared in white, only to have it pointed out they're also in the Capitol Building set in the Architecture line.

They are in the Venice skyline too.

.Henrik

13 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

Mere coincidence.  :laugh:

So I'm seeing this hailed as the largest Ideas set...but isn't it the largest of any set? I don't mean piece count, but actual height. Is there any official set taller than this?

14 minutes ago, rodiziorobs said:

So I'm seeing this hailed as the largest Ideas set...but isn't it the largest of any set? I don't mean piece count, but actual height. Is there any official set taller than this?

The UCS Super Star Destroyer is 1.25m long... put it vertically :laugh:

35 minutes ago, rodiziorobs said:

Eiffel Tower is 42.5" if I remember correctly. 

Not to mention all the Racers and train sets, which can have layouts several feet across using just a couple dozen or so pieces of track.

4 hours ago, Lordoflego said:

Eiffel Tower is 42.5" if I remember correctly. 

Yes, 108 cm.

I believe this is the 2nd tallest set, only to the Eiffel tower.

On a bit of a side note/shameless promotion, the Ideas Centric Forum I've been part of for a few years is now finally open. (Thanks to @Robert8 for testing back in the day)

So, results of the current batch (of 12+1) are coming soon... and we have 11 projects for the next one. Must be time for a new poll!

18 hours ago, Umbra-Manis said:

On a bit of a side note/shameless promotion, the Ideas Centric Forum I've been part of for a few years is now finally open. (Thanks to @Robert8 for testing back in the day)

Oh I forgot about that!

It was like 2 years ago, right?

Good to see it's finally open. Glad I could help :classic:

On May 1, 2017 at 2:17 PM, Umbra-Manis said:

I'll have to try this in a bit. Looks like I can't view the posts yet, is it members-only?