The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Just now, CM4Sci said:

Looks like this is the reason they didn't approve the Gingerbread House :laugh:

But this is for this year

The Ideas Gingerbread House would have been for Christmas 2017

11 hours ago, Artanis I said:

*oh2*GASP TLG stole that from the Ideas project!!! Robbed!

It's not the first Lego Gingerbread house:

LEGO-40139-Gingerbread-House-2015-Limite

This one is a promotional set, if you ask.

It would not surprise me if they eventually release their own Gingerbread House.  As noted above, a promotional one was released.  it is also interesting that they released a promotional train model a year before the Winter Train became the WV set.  I wonder if the miniature model of the Gingerbread House is a forerunner to a larger holiday set coming in the future?  

If there is, hopefully it will not look too much like the Ideas submission.  I would hate to see conspiracy theories ala GBHQ, helicarrier, etc.  

On 22/10/2016 at 0:57 AM, Kaanere said:

It's not the first Lego Gingerbread house:

This one is a promotional set, if you ask.

Yeah I have that set, I was joking if you couldn't tell.

On 06/10/2016 at 11:10 PM, jonwil said:

The particle accelerator has the problem of not being very appealing to kids plus the safety factor of having balls flying around that fast where they might fly off the track and hit someone. Plus the fact that (as far as I can tell) the only way to produce the track itself is to use 4.5v curved track parts which are long out of production and wont be comming back.

BB8 has the magnet safety problem.

Shame about the accelerator, it looks like a fun set that might be played with for longer than average.  Not so many Power Functions that it would be unviable; quite a few sets have a motor and battery box but it does skew the price a bit.  I see your points about the obsolete rails and the ball energy; would the latter rule out a GBC?  If they did a GBC set like the train set with several different models to make, all of which conformed to the standard for passing on the balls, then I'd buy quite a few to make a circuit.  Interesting GBC modules take a lot of designing.

Also a shame about the Gingerbread house, perhaps my favourite of that bunch but I accept the points about TLG making their own smaller one.  I wish it were not the case that so many sets have to be symbolic, giving just a cut-down flavour of something without doing it properly!  If something can be done properly in a moderate-sized set then that has more chance as a LEGO Ideas set.  Even the Caterham Seven is missing its steering!

Magnet safety (and obsolescence) is an issue I also tackled for my larger BB-8, that and a different potential high-energy-debris issue of releasing weight blocks from a spinning counterweight!  The small BB-8 was OK functionally, using train magnets with a thin shell and a single direction of movement (no turning or spinning) but a larger model needs a thicker shell (given no ready-made large sphere LEGO piece) so the old train magnets would not be strong enough.  I tried some 12mm Neodymium magnets, safely encased in City dustbins with Technic cogs inserted in the top, which also provide an axle to hold it, but even that had a limited attraction distance.  I might use the technique elsewhere for a display model sometime.  In the end I decided to try a split-shell method for BB-8.  After many trials, BB-8 finally works with his head on top and can roll, turn and spin :grin:.  The head movement, "speech" light and deployable tools can be transferred from the static model in due course.  This means the whole model would meet the functions-to-price ratio of Technic sets.  Still within the 3000-piece limit and no modified pieces!  I would like to give TLG the opportunity to accept or reject it as an example of making the best of Power Functions; it follows on from Volvo Loader 42030 and may help Technic to branch out from the usual vehicle selection.  I think TLG should promote the capability of Power Functions more (whether PF1 or the forthcoming PF2).

Mark

On 10/21/2016 at 2:28 PM, AFOLguy1970 said:

It would not surprise me if they eventually release their own Gingerbread House.  As noted above, a promotional one was released.  it is also interesting that they released a promotional train model a year before the Winter Train became the WV set.  I wonder if the miniature model of the Gingerbread House is a forerunner to a larger holiday set coming in the future?  

If there is, hopefully it will not look too much like the Ideas submission.  I would hate to see conspiracy theories ala GBHQ, helicarrier, etc.  

I still suspect it is likely that there is a Gingerbread House that has been proposed and likely even prototyped as part of the Winter Village Development over the years. It's just too obvious a subject for that line for them to have not delved into it at some point. Especially with the Gingerbread Man figure available for awhile. Just because we have never seen it publicly does not mean that Lego does not have pre-existing design art that they consider as conflicting with an Ideas Project. and conflicts with such Pre-Existing design work will always be the weak spot or danger zone to Ideas. They are what feed the conspiracy theories (see Helicarrier, Tumbler, Lone Ranger Line, etc). 

Anyone know what the deal is with the Apollo Rocket? The Old Fishing Store is being listed on Brickset as 21309 with no listing for the Apollo Rocket at all even though the Fishing Store was from a later review...

On 23.10.2016. at 9:41 AM, Robert8 said:

It seems there won't be a lot of projects in the next review :look:

When is that?

21 hours ago, jonwil said:

Anyone know what the deal is with the Apollo Rocket? The Old Fishing Store is being listed on Brickset as 21309 with no listing for the Apollo Rocket at all even though the Fishing Store was from a later review...

Brickset has it wrong; they have a tendency to just make stuff up sometimes. 21309 is the Apollo 11 Saturn V Rocket.

How? Just how? It's not a bad build but it feels off- not to mention Lego released a Hulkbuster just last March and it uses that headpiece too

Someone sneaked a micro-observatory into the LEGO Creator homepage... Pure coincidence, funny easter egg or premonition to the Ideas Observatory?

PLTh7Uq.png

That shark is pretty cool by the way :grin:

11 minutes ago, x105Black said:

That looks like no LEGO Store I've ever seen.

Well, a quick search on google suggests that there are hardly any LEGO stores that are not part of a shopping mall and therefor, lack the ornate façade of a full building, unlike this model. However, for a modular, I think this is essential to have.

I think it would make a fantastic set, Lego have kind of touched upon this in the past with the Lego Truck set and I think this would make a good addition.

I also think what makes this set good is the fact that any Lego fan, young or old, can relate to it.

Edited by Tariq j

1 hour ago, Tariq j said:

I think it would make a fantastic set, Lego have kind of touched upon this in the past with the Lego Truck set and I think this would make a good addition.

I also think what makes this set good is the fact that any Lego fan, young or old, can relate to it.

Well, note that thus far three sets have been made that represent LEGO stores: http://brickset.com/sets/tag-Lego-Store

However, I would't say that any LEGO fan can relate to it (from their experience), as LEGO stores here in Europe for example are few and far between; most kids have never seen one. It's a very uncommon thing, so often you see people, fans as well as non-fans, stopping by and looking in awe. So, I'd say the magic of a store dedicated only to LEGO is definitely universally relatable.