The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Meanwhile my project is sitting at around 5200 supporters... the game site itself seems to have stopped talking about it and it's kind of old.. I was thinking of "updating" it, any ideas on how I can get more support by September?

At least some of those who've gotten projects to reach the goal have credited frequent Updates with maintaining public interest and attention in their projects, and attracting new supporters. It seems to me you might want to give it a try. It might be especially helpful to go through your supporter comments and see if they've made any suggestions or requests, especially any frequently recurring ones.

In the meantime, take heart - out of all projects still in "Gathering Support" mode, your project is currently the 21st most-supported project on the site, and you've gotten over halfway to the support goal in about four months; that's frankly a lot better than most.

You could offer to divulge the secret of your "Informant" to whoever supports you, links the page to their Facebook and tags at least 20 friends.

And then, plot-twist, you don't actually divulge the secret of your "Informant". Instead, you give them your ex's email address.

It's a double prank.

It's just plain hard to attract 10,000 supports. In all the time this enterprise has been around, there have been well over 17,000 projects posted (closer to 18,000, in fact), and in all that time, from the early days of LEGO CUUSOO eight years ago right up to the present, I think there have been fewer than a hundred projects that have gotten 10,000 votes. The rate at which projects do hit that goal is picking up, but that's partly just because there are so many more submissions these days than there used to be, and it's still tough for any one project to do. It's a big accomplishment whenever one does.

You could buy 4800 fake IDs from a Spam on this website, and use the names to make new Ideas accounts, and then support your own project.

Of course, this is highly illegal in more ways than one, but you do seem pretty desperate.

Omg Actor Builder lol

Meanwhile my project is sitting at around 5200 supporters... the game site itself seems to have stopped talking about it and it's kind of old.. I was thinking of "updating" it, any ideas on how I can get more support by September?

What about promoting your project on social media?

There are several facebook groups of AFOLs where you can promote it

If so, I hope Universal realise how many people they're disappointing by not allowing sets based on the original Jurassic Park films.

IP licensing can be complicated. The Jurrasic XXX stuff considerably more so than might be readily apparent. There may be a third party that has a piece of the licensing rights to one or more of the prior JP films. Hence the rename to Jurrasic World, a shift in colors and logos. It insures the current franchise holders of the complete merchandise take, without having to deal with partners from 20 years ago.

That Jurrasic Park set was never going to happen. Just too many clear conflicts going on there. An active IP license for the new property with Lego. Potential conflicts between old and new. Veto of current IP owners. And the one that I keep mentally circling back to, the Jurrasic World license likely specifically precludes JP sets as an element of a non compete.

Movie merchandise can be very very strange. The merchandising rights are often assigned by movie, not by global character IP or franchise. And how it works today is not how it worked 20 or 30 years ago. Remember the only pay George Lucas took from the original Star Wars in 1977 was the merchandising rights. The studio gave them away to him in lieu of pay or a percentage of the gross. How studios handled these rights has evolved over time. By the 90's everybody involved wanted a piece of the merchandise pie. By today the studio tends to keep tighter reins on those rights, and keep them exclusively to the corporation.

Lego's 2 prior movie based Ideas sets involved movie properties that by Hollywood standards have a fairly simple clean concise path for merchandising. The movies were made by established parties and major studios with enough sway and experience to not use the merchandising for production horse trading, and to keep control over it narrow and tight. Ghostbusters is famous for that. (Well besides the Filmation lawsuits.) the two studios best known for keeping a tight fisted grip on merchandising, and an eye towards utilizing it long term, are Disney and Warner Brothers. Fox and Universal have never had quite the same long term approach, which makes some of there properties much more complicated.

Castle fans may be heartened to see the lovely Merchant's House is the latest Ideas project to reach 10,000 supports.

Saw this on The Brick Fan today. It's a cool idea but I just don't see it passing. I don't think it will appeal to the average consumer and I don't think being popular among one community like Castle will be enough for Lego. However, would I buy it? Yes.

Edited by Tech Artist

As I noted earlier, I don't think it's particularly likely, either, though it's beautiful and I supported it (and I'd love to be wrong about its chances).

I actually think the Voltron one is not only the likeliest of the four projects in this batch so far, but that it's actually fairly likely, period (well, just so long as there aren't a lot of messy conditions with the rights).

The Voltron one would also be quite timely as World Events Productions is doing a big merchandise push to coincide with the new Voltron TV show that just hit Netflix last week. (on a side note. It is amazing. It's by the same team that did Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.)

The only major issue is likely to be somebody may already hold a conflicting license. Mattel has a North American Toy License for the original show. They used it to produce their large 24" Matty Collector Voltron. And Playmates may have the toy or action figure license for the new show. Oh and there are rumors that Bandai may or may not have a license for a high end die cast (finally! After 30+ years!). And God only knows what the status of long time license holder Toynami's licenses are at this point? If any of them have a Construction toy license it would likely be Mattel. They definitely have or until recently had an Action Figure and Plastic Vehicle license.

Of course Voltron also comes with the other issue. It is a split property. WEP owns Voltron outright in North America, but Toei owns Beast King GoLion, the show it was made from, in Asia and Japan. So Lego would likely need to license it as GoLion in some regions. Now that is not as insurmountable as some properties (looking at you Macross). WEP and Toei generally have a good relationship and have been known to cross license. Certainly not the 30 year bloodbath that is the behind the scenes Macross/Robotech wars.

If you haven't figured it out classic Japanese robots are one of my "other" fetishes. I try and pay attention to where certain licenses go.

GUIDELINES UPDATE

Some important tidbits:

- 3,000 piece limit

- Once a LEGO Ideas set based off a property is released, no more projects on it will be accepted (which means no more BBTF, DW, GB projects)

GUIDELINES UPDATE

Some important tidbits:

- 3,000 piece limit

- Once a LEGO Ideas set based off a property is released, no more projects on it will be accepted (which means no more BBTF, DW, GB projects)

Beat me to it.

It's interesting that they have the rule now about no longer accepting projects based on IPs that have already gotten sets, and even provide a specific list with Back to the Future, Doctor Who, etc., but don't say anything about IPs that have gotten sets, but not through LEGO Ideas, like Star Wars, Marvel, DC, etc.

Wasted how? We're getting what looks like a great set.

It's the only Adventure Time set we'll ever receive, due to the new guidelines :sadnew:

No, it's the only one we'll ever get through LEGO Ideas. There could be any number of Adventure Time sets in the future; they just won't be from LEGO Ideas.

In fact, we actually already know there'll be (at least!) three different Adventure Time packs for LEGO Dimensions, so that's three sets right there. And aside from the wealth of LEGO Dimensions packs produced for this, Back to the Future, Doctor Who, etc., we've also seen other, non-LEGO Dimensions sets produced for such Ideas-originating IPs as Ghostbusters and Minecraft.

As long as the LEGO Ideas Adventure Time set is a success, I think we could see further sets for the property, at least while the series is running.

So, they just need to approve one Star Wars set, that would wipe out all the Star Wars sets from LEGO Ideas forever

THANK GOD!!!!!

Edited by Robert8

No, it's the only one we'll ever get through LEGO Ideas. There could be any number of Adventure Time sets in the future; they just won't be from LEGO Ideas.

In fact, we actually already know there'll be (at least!) three different Adventure Time packs for LEGO Dimensions, so that's three sets right there. And aside from the wealth of LEGO Dimensions packs produced for this, Back to the Future, Doctor Who, etc., we've also seen other, non-LEGO Dimensions sets produced for such Ideas-originating IPs as Ghostbusters and Minecraft.

As long as the LEGO Ideas Adventure Time set is a success, I think we could see further sets for the property, at least while the series is running.

True, perhaps coinciding with the upcoming feature length film.

Edited by Sir Gareth

IMO they should ban ideas from IPs LEGO is actively producing even without an Ideas set being made. So no more Star Wars ideas. And no more Marvel or DC ideas.

But can we have car ideas? I mean, jeez, LEGO, do I still have to model a Tom Kristensen figure and a UCS Audi R10 TDI for you?

I guess I do. BRB, gonna fire up LDD.

I like the under 3,000 piece limit rule, it just eliminates sets that would have been rejected with one look. I don't like no projects of a license that has already been made. I just hope TLG decides to make more sets for themes like BTTF, GB, DW soon as there so much more sets that can be made from those themes.

GUIDELINES UPDATE

Some important tidbits:

- 3,000 piece limit

These are great changes, and should clear a good deal of the clutter from the site.