The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

I hope the Saturn V comes with some minifigs of the astronauts, that would be amazing (and the original creator did propose such a thing at one point I believe)

I think they could reuse the S15 Astronaut for this

Would have been nice to see the Concorde get in, but I won't turn down a set that depicts an iconic sub and the greatest male pop band in the world. And Saturn V is amazing. Would fit well with the Creator Expert Space Shuttle.

I'm rather surprised no one has tried to pitch an entry that depicts Tom Kristensen and the Audi R10 TDI that he drove to victory with Allan McNish and Rinaldo Capello in the 2008 24 Hours of Le Mans race. Maybe he's not as great a Danish hero as I thought he was? And why TLG themselves haven't done that before or now is somewhat baffling.

Very excited about the Yellow Submarine! This will be the 3rd Ideas product I will buy. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Surprising they picked the Beetles set. Saturn 5 is awesome and as a space buff from way back, I want one.

As for Concorde, the rejection is likely due to it being a little on the large side plus the need to license the Concorde name from Airbus or whoever owns it these days (and also the names of any airlines they use on it).

Whereas the Saturn 5 can be turned into a viable set at a price point that makes sense for TLG and they dont need a lot of licensing (they have actually had dealings with NASA before for both the Mars Rover ideas set and before that, the NASA Discovery line of sets).

I'm kind of meh on the beetles, but I am so hyped for the SATURN V! :grin:

I think it's amusing to see more than one poster talking about The Beetles. :laugh:

Anyway, I didn't want to get my hopes up in advance but now I'm excited that the Yellow Submarine made it. This might be the best Ideas set to date.

So... we're now waiting on four separate Ideas projects that have all been approved / announced, but not yet released (or even had their final versions shown). We can probably expect the next announcement in roughly four months, give or take a few weeks. Based on what little was indicated about the expected release in the first announcement from this year (in which they announced the Caterham Super 7 and Adventure Time figures sets), I doubt we'll get more than one of those sets in that timeframe, if that.

While the current review seems like a tough one that might not yield more than one set, it's still quite possible, as is their simply not releasing any of the currently-awaited sets before the next announcement (or a combination of both). I wonder whether we might find ourselves waiting on as many as five or six announced sets at once?

It all depends on how close the Ideas proposal is to a releasable set. Something like the Ecto-1 or the Research Institute was fairly close to a releasable set whereas the Exo-Suit was a lot further away from releasable.

I sure hope they release at least 2 of them by the end of the year.

In the video for the latest review, didn't they mention that one of the two latest approved sets would be out in late 2016 and the other in 2017?

In the video for the latest review, didn't they mention that one of the two latest approved sets would be out in late 2016 and the other in 2017?

I believe so. That's what I was thinking when I said "Based on what little was indicated about the expected release in the first announcement from this year" in my previous post. I can't watch the video just now, though.

Wow, the Saturn V!

Better start saving now, because it will be expensive, but worth it. We just got back from Washington DC and saw both Air and Space Museums. Just the gift shops in those locations alone could make this profitable. We will buy it on day one even if it means having to have a little debt to pay off. The interest in manned space flight to the moon remains strong and Saturn V will do very well.

Assorted records, firsts and other points of interest for LEGO CUUSOO / Ideas:

Shinkai 6500

• First CUUSOO-crowdsourced set in the program

- Everything this set did, it was obviously therefore the first at, including being the first CUUSOO set based on a real-life subject; also the first CUUSOO set with custom-decorated elements (via stickers).

Hayabusa

• First CUUSOO set with a minifigure

• First CUUSOO set with printed elements (the minifigure parts)

• First CUUSOO set made available outside Japan

Minecraft Micro world

• First CUUSOO set selected by 10,000 supporters rather than 1,000 (the original vote goal in the early days)

• First CUUSOO set selected by users around the globe, not just in Japan

• First CUUSOO set based on a licensed pop-culture entertainment franchise

• First CUUSOO set with a modular-style build

• First CUUSOO set to include non-minifigure-scale figures (brick-built microfigures)

• First CUUSOO set to include new / custom printed elements (the minifigure in Hayabusa used an existing head and torso)

• First CUUSOO set to spin off a whole new theme

• Record holder for fastest CUUSOO / Ideas project to date to get 10,000 votes (garnered full support within 48 hours of posting)

Back to the Future DeLorean time machine

• First CUUSOO set of a minifigure-scale vehicle (Hayabusa is an unmanned probe, and the model is not to scale with minifigures; the minifigure is included solely as a display companion piece)

• First CUUSOO set with new / custom printed minifigures

• First / earliest CUUSOO model build to appear in a LEGO video game (tied with the Ectomobile and TARDIS, all three appearing in LEGO Dimensions; the DeLorean was the earliest released of the three)

• First CUUSOO set to raise money for a charity

• First CUUSOO set with a customer service replacement part

Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

• First CUUSOO set to not have any decorated elements (either stickers or prints)

• First CUUSOO set released the same calendar year as another CUUSOO / Ideas set

Ghostbusters Ectomobile

• First CUUSOO / Ideas set to carry "Ideas" branding rather than "CUUSOO"

• First CUUSOO / Ideas set approved over a competing project of the same subject matter from the same review batch

• First CUUSOO / Ideas set to leapfrog a previously-approved CUUSOO / Ideas project in the production queue

• First Ideas set release timed to a special date / occasion (the 30th anniversary, noted on the packaging)

• First Ideas set to include a minifigure of a person of color in a realistic (non-yellow) skin tone

Exo Suit

• First approved Ideas project leapfrogged by a later-approved project in the production queue

• First Ideas set directly tied to a specific classic, traditional LEGO theme (classic Space)

• First Ideas set released simultaneously with another (tied with Research Institute)

• First Ideas set to include a female minifigure (tied with Research Institute)

Research Institute

• First Ideas set approved after being held over from an earlier review batch

• First Ideas set released simultaneously with another (tied with Exo Suit)

• First Ideas set to include a female minifigure (tied with Exo Suit)

• Record holder for smallest / least expensive Ideas set to date (165 pieces, $19.99 USD)

Birds

• First Ideas set of completely natural subject matter (excluding display base nameplates)

• First Ideas set in life-size or larger scale

The Big Bang Theory

• First Ideas set from the creator of a previous set

• Record holder for the most minifigures in an Ideas set to date (seven)

WALL•E

• First Ideas set of a large-scale, posable figure (some of the Birds have some limited ranges of movement, but only to an extremely limited degree and as a side consequence of the building techniques used; WALL•E is more action-figure-like)

Doctor Who TARDIS

• First Ideas model to appear in a LEGO video game before the set's release

Maze

• First Ideas set to include a baseplate

• First Ideas set to fully duplicate (including size and functionality) a real-world object, just in LEGO

• First "abstract" Ideas set (though replicating a real-world object, that object itself is an abstract game)

• Record holder for largest, most expensive Ideas set to date (769 pieces, $69.99 USD)

Some notable milestones we've yet to see:

• First Ideas set with DUPLO elements, Power Functions, minidolls, or CCBS "constraction" figures

• First Ideas set from a pre-existing licensed theme

Wow, the Saturn V!

Better start saving now, because it will be expensive, but worth it. We just got back from Washington DC and saw both Air and Space Museums. Just the gift shops in those locations alone could make this profitable. We will buy it on day one even if it means having to have a little debt to pay off. The interest in manned space flight to the moon remains strong and Saturn V will do very well.

I would suggest grab it as soon as you see it. Most Lego stores never even saw the Curiosity Rover it came and went so fast.

I would suggest grab it as soon as you see it. Most Lego stores never even saw the Curiosity Rover it came and went so fast.

From what I was told, it wasn't even normally stocked in LEGO Stores at all, at least in the U.S.; it was an online-only exclusive. Outside the U.S., though, it apparently was much easier to get - not only sold in stores, but available for months.

Assorted records, firsts and other points of interest for LEGO CUUSOO / Ideas:

Nice compilation Blondie-Wan!

Nice compilation Blondie-Wan!

Thanks! One I forgot to put in is that the Doctor Who set should be the current record holder for the most printed elements - it has something like fifty of them, including the minifigure elements plus a couple spares. I'll get an exact count later and add it to my previous post.

Castle fans may be heartened to see the lovely Merchant's House is the latest Ideas project to reach 10,000 supports. It joins the Addams Family Mansion, Spaceballs - Eagle 5, and Voltron - Defender of the Universe projects in the Second 2016 Review Batch, along with whatever else hits its goal between now and early September or so. The Merchant's House is the first non-licensed project in the batch.

Castle fans may be heartened to see the lovely Merchant's House is the latest Ideas project to reach 10,000 supports. It joins the Addams Family Mansion, Spaceballs - Eagle 5, and Voltron - Defender of the Universe projects in the Second 2016 Review Batch, along with whatever else hits its goal between now and early September or so. The Merchant's House is the first non-licensed project in the batch.

It looks great on the outside, but I get the impression that there is no interior. I have very serious doubts about its viability as a product. It also looks to have far too many parts. This is another example of a great MOC that does not translate into a great set.

Its a shame, though, because it looks beautiful.

Oh, I don't think it's likely, either (though I'd love to be wrong, and I did in fact support it myself). I just meant Castle fans might take heart in the fact that even with projects based on pop culture, high-performance vehicles, and scientific exploration (most of which I love, myself) seemingly dominating Ideas, a beautiful historical castle-type creation can still garner full support as well.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

It looks great on the outside, but I get the impression that there is no interior. I have very serious doubts about its viability as a product. It also looks to have far too many parts. This is another example of a great MOC that does not translate into a great set.

Its a shame, though, because it looks beautiful.

The "Updates" section includes interior pics. So if it's not viable as a product it probably won't be for that reason. But the piece count and the number of fiddly connections might present a challenge. The designer says it's sturdy and playable, but TLG's standards for sturdiness can sometimes be a lot stricter than fan standards.

Oh c'mon that's not a set.... That's a MOC

LEGO Ideas is being used by AFOLs to show off their fancy MOC's :hmpf:

It'll take like 1 second to reject that in the review

Already a nope. Looks cool though.

Oh c'mon that's not a set.... That's a MOC

LEGO Ideas is being used by AFOLs to show off their fancy MOC's :hmpf:

It'll take like 1 second to reject that in the review

Could not have said it better myself.

Meanwhile my project is sitting at around 5200 supporters... the game site itself seems to have stopped talking about it and it's kind of old.. I was thinking of "updating" it, any ideas on how I can get more support by September?

Edited by CM4Sci

Oh, I don't think it's likely, either (though I'd love to be wrong, and I did in fact support it myself). I just meant Castle fans might take heart in the fact that even with projects based on pop culture, high-performance vehicles, and scientific exploration (all of which I love, myself) seemingly dominating Ideas, a beautiful historical castle-type creation can still garner full support as well.

It is definitely nice to see that a Castle-like project has broken 10,000 supporters.

The "Updates" section includes interior pics. So if it's not viable as a product it probably won't be for that reason. But the piece count and the number of fiddly connections might present a challenge. The designer says it's sturdy and playable, but TLG's standards for sturdiness can sometimes be a lot stricter than fan standards.

I didn't see those before. Color me surprised! I actually like the interiors, and I'm starting to be more excited about this as a set. Of course, the piece count will have to be adjusted.

I also noticed that it looks like it was made in LDD. It's hard to know for sure how sturdy something will be in a digital medium. I'm hoping that any issues could be worked out in the inevitable redesign process that all sets go through.

I went from admiring but doubtful to impressed and hopeful.