Hi guys!

A "technical" question. How would you judge this rule:

against projects like:

Mini Wall-E

Wall-E

Imperial Shuttle

Taj Mahal

etc.

All these projects could be said being "modifications" on past LEGO sets?!

I'd say mini Wall-E, Wall-E and Taj Mahal are just projects based on the same idea, not modifications of the already released LEGO sets

By "modification on past LEGO set" I'd say they mean to take the actual LEGO set and resubmit it after some minimal changes.

Ideas really has a fascination with the eighties, doesn't it? :laugh:

The 80's were great, so that's something I love about the Ideas submissions.

As for the other question, I would say that no alternate version of an existing product is likely to pass, nor should it.

Hi guys!

against projects like:

Mini Wall-E

Wall-E

Imperial Shuttle

Taj Mahal

etc.

I honestly don't think they should be allowed. It's like people putting out 66 Batmobiles right after/before 76052 came out - it's already out. Why even bother?

Edited by CM4Sci

Hi guys!

against projects like:

Mini Wall-E

Wall-E

Imperial Shuttle

Taj Mahal

etc.

I don't see these projects as breaking that rule, but I put all of them (Except maybe the Taj Mahal) into the category of redundant projects. Whenever a licensed Idea gets really popular you'll see some copies of it pop up relatively soon thereafter, (There were a million deloreans in the CUUSOO days) or in the case of WALL-E for months afterwards.

I think that if LEGO were to take down a bunch of the ideas that are obviously pointless, or just bad, then those builders would eventually stop being interested in Ideas at all, and stop supporting projects as well. Then it would be even harder to get 10,000 supporters.

Hi guys!

against projects like:

Mini Wall-E

Wall-E

Imperial Shuttle

Taj Mahal

etc.

None of those are really pitching modifications or re-releases of past sets, they just happen to depict the same subjects as past sets. If you were to disqualify any project that happened to depict the same subject as a past set, that would mean no space shuttles, no submarines, no fire engines, no police cars, etc, because all of those things have been in LEGO Town or LEGO City in some form.

Granted, I doubt any of those projects are going to succeed in review, because many of them ARE probably too similar to existing sets, or are already a part of an existing license agreement, or just don't offer enough unique features that the previous set of the subject did not. But they don't even come close to breaking any rules. And an "if it's ever been a set it can't be an Ideas project" rule would be excessively limiting, because there's no way to know where to draw the line. Should a 600-piece LEGO Technic Formula 1 project be disqualified because LEGO had a Formula 1 set back in 1975? Should a minifigure-scale double-decker bus project be disqualified because there was a London Bus set in 1966? Should a brick sculpture of William Shakespeare be disqualified because there was a William Shakespeare minifigure? It's just plain impractical, especially since some people might pitch a project without even realizing there's been a set of the same subject in the past.

I think that if LEGO were to take down a bunch of the ideas that are obviously pointless, or just bad, then those builders would eventually stop being interested in Ideas at all, and stop supporting projects as well. Then it would be even harder to get 10,000 supporters.

That's the only justification for crappy projects I've heard that makes any sense.

I honestly don't think they should be allowed. It's like people putting out 66 Batmobiles right after/before 76052 came out - it's already out. Why even bother?

In the case of your example, it would be because the '66 Batmobile is just a part of a much larger set, to the point that there's a huge difference between the two sets. While I get why they wouldn't approve that project when the already have the '66 Batcave, I'm honestly surprised they preemptively archived the project before it even made it into a review batch. I do think they should have just let it end peacefully in review.

That's the only justification for crappy projects I've heard that makes any sense.

Perhaps, but it's certainly a sufficient justification all by itself. Disallowing all those less-accomplished projects by the teeming unwashed masses right out of the gate surely would turn off a bunch of those submitters and turn them away from Ideas entirely, and the remaining projects would accrue votes that much more slowly. Fewer projects would even make it to review.

Incidentally, given the apparent fervor for getting an official LEGO set based on The Legend of Zelda via Ideas, there's something I found interesting about this Ideas blog post from a couple months ago, but I forgot to mention it earlier:

image.jpg1_8.jpg

Do you see it? There, in the upper left, directly to the left of and behind the TIE Fighter:

efcea28e-c108-48fb-a45b-99eea9fdfef1.jpg

Okay, it could be nothing - maybe someone there is just a fan, but... well, still, why is it there? I do note it appears to be not a LEGO model but a conventional sculpture. Are those things sold commercially?

Hmmm...

That's the Jakks Pacific giant Link figure. Part of the World of Nintendo line. Interesting that it's standing there...

Still holding out hope for a Zelda set, I don't care how long it takes!

That's the Jakks Pacific giant Link figure. Part of the World of Nintendo line. Interesting that it's standing there...

Still holding out hope for a Zelda set, I don't care how long it takes!

I thought K'nex had the licence for Zelda, they already produce Mario Bros sets.

I thought K'nex had the licence for Zelda, they already produce Mario Bros sets.

I seriously doubt Nintendo would bundle every single one of their IPs in with the Mario Bros. license, especially when K'Nex has so far displayed zero interest in developing sets based on any of Nintendo's other franchises. Nintendo tends to be very protective of its trademarks, and it's not going to license out a property to a company that isn't actually going to do anything with it.

Oh, something else I noticed:

I guess the Big BangTheory set hasn't been a very good seller, on sale now for about $12 off regular price.

Well, it has also been around for a while. I imagine it's done all right for most of that time.

Eh, it's been out since August, and I believe it went on sale... last month? That's not very long. :look:

Compared to the NASA / JPL MARS Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover? Or the Research Institute? it's been out literally dozens of times as long as their entire windows of availability (in the U.S., at least).

But yeah, I'd forgotten that it didn't become available until August. Fair enough. Assuming it wasn't discounted in January, it's been available at full price for a little over six months - the lower end of the scale for licensed Ideas sets, true, but the upper end for non-licensed ones, it seems. It's pretty much right in the middle, actually (and it's been out for a period comparable to what the Exo Suit was).

I have no doubt it hasn't sold as well as the DeLorean time machine, the Ectomobile, the TARDIS, the Minecraft Micro-world, etc., but I imagine it's done okay. I suspect it's done better than Birds, which is a set I think might have been more admired than actually purchased (I'm very sorry to say I haven't gotten it myself yet, and I know it's sold out from LEGO, though I'm hopeful I may be able to pick it up elsewhere).

I'm mulling over The Big Bang Theory now myself. If I liked the show more, the set would be a clear must-have, but my feelings about the show are a bit mixed. I think the set is lovely, though, and I'd like to have it for the parts selection at the very least, if not for itself. As it is, it currently has the distinction of being the only minifigures-including CUUSOO / Ideas set that I haven't gotten, so far.

It's actually back up to full price now. It must have been just a sale, not a clearance.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Johnny-Five is brilliant, as is that midi-scale Imperial Shuttle. I'd buy either instantly.

Anyone have a date or ballpark estimate on when we can expect Carl's Caterham to be released? Can we expect it to hit shelves in 2016?

Something is scheduled for August. Given how.. long these things can take, I wanna say Adventure Time might be a 2017 thing, which I really hate, I don't like how long these things take to develop. Well, as it seems, or something. The Dr Who set was in 2016 retailer catalogs which were out mid-summer but the set wasn't revealed until like November or something. I don't get why they take so long.

Regarding the Link statue, if you look closely in the photo you can see someone has a photo frame with their kid in it, vintage space sets, an old-school toy soldier etc... these are people's personal effects decorating their place of work. I think it's just a fan. Just like I have a sigfig standing on my main computer at work.

Wait, it's the Caterham Super Seven that comes out first, right? :look: I'm still kinda (OK, very) confused about that set. Is it two different cars sold together, just one car, one that rebuilds into another with some different colored bricks a la 21305? :wacko: Do we have any idea how much this would cost? Is Adventure Time just going to be the brick built figures? That would be kind of a waste if that's all they did. :sceptic:

Is Adventure Time just going to be the brick built figures? That would be kind of a waste if that's all they did. :sceptic:

But that's the project that was supported by voters. They have to keep the core concept of an Ideas set true to the project; anything else would be unfair to the thousands of people who voted for one thing and got something else produced.

Just what else are you expecting / hoping for?

Edited by Blondie-Wan

From what I understand, there's a very good possibility that Adventure Time will appear as minifigures for the Dimensions game. I'm hoping they also expand this into a theme of sets.

It appears that the Ideas set was a springboard towards obtaining the license. In that, I appreciate its value.

Here is my latest Lego Idea

post-134266-0-06696000-1462824527_thumb.jpg

If you like it support it on Lego Ideas

But if not please support the RNLI

Edit by WhiteFang: Please note posting of links with regards to self-promotion on LEGO Ideas is not encouraged. Thank you for your attention.

Edited by Gadgeteering
Removed of links

Looking at the list of items for review:

BB8 has the magnet issue (its now illegal in many countries to use small magnets like that in toys, even the USA has imposed restrictions on toys with magnets small enough for a child to swallow) plus the "existing license" problem

I have a solution to the magnet issue, a safe but versatile magnet encasement scheme, smaller than the cumbersome buffer beam, that would prevent swallowing.

This is for my larger LEGO Technic BB-8 droid.

In the project blog, the third picture down is the one showing the magnet encasement.

The magnet scheme could be used in other models, perhaps singly for train couplings or for M-Tron as part of Classic Space revival.

The encased magnets are stronger than a pair of the previous train coupling magnets by about 8mm distance for the same attraction strength.

Whilst this could use the existing LEGO pieces (as per the rules of LEGO Ideas), it would be easy for TLG to make a 2-part case on similar lines, like a PF motor casing.

Please support the project if you would like to see me take the magnet scheme forward.

Thanks,

Mark

EDIT by Pandora: Please don't post links for self promotion. Whitefang literally just moderated in exactly the same way on the post before yours:

Edit by WhiteFang: Please note posting of links with regards to self-promotion on LEGO Ideas is not encouraged. Thank you for your attention.

If in doubt, check the Site Guidelines (tab, top right of each page) or PM me if you have concerns. Kind regards.

Edited by Pandora
Removing Ideas link

Do you guys think the HMS Beagle will get passed?

Do you guys think the HMS Beagle will get passed?

I think it's unlikely, though I'd love for it to happen.

Which 2 ideas sets do you guys think will get passed?