The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Johnny Five, by PepaQuin, achieved the 10000 supporters

Ah, good. Then it won't be in the same batch as my favorite of the second review this year.

Edited by GeoBrick

Don't get me wrong, I really like the Johnny Five and remember the movie well from the 1980's, but I think it resembles Wall-E too much. Had Wall-E not already been produced, I would lay fair odds on Johnny-5, but I think they are too similar. If I am wrong and it does get chosen, then it will be a pleasant surprise.

Yes but they didn't do it with the Helicarrier and the Frozen castle

And some of those decisions likely added to this change. It makes sense to prune the clear conflicting projects before they go into the review process and force extra work for all involved, or false hope and fan bickering.

I'd guess there's probably less than 36 hours left until this submission period ends. I'd hate to see these two have to wait until September before going on to Review:

Voltron - Defender of the Universe

424 votes to go (as of Midnight Eastern on 5/1)

Spaceballs - Eagle 5

556 votes to go (as of Midnight Eastern on 5/1)

Spaceballs is also up against the end of it's life to get to 10,000 votes. It only has 10 more days left. Voltron at least has another 2 years to get there.

Forget Spaceballs, the producers of Spaceballs did a deal with George Lucas whereby they got to make the movie without being sued (and got to use whatever things they used) but in return had to agree to never produce any merchandise tied to the movie. So regardless of what may happen votes wise, its impossible for any Spaceballs projects to ever get produced.

Forget Spaceballs, the producers of Spaceballs did a deal with George Lucas whereby they got to make the movie without being sued (and got to use whatever things they used) but in return had to agree to never produce any merchandise tied to the movie. So regardless of what may happen votes wise, its impossible for any Spaceballs projects to ever get produced.

I hear ya. I think you're most likely correct. The Ideas crew says that license is clear (you can see them mention it on the Ideas page). However, they may not be aware of the deal between Brooks and Lucas.

That's all subject to change, too, with Disney owning the franchise now.

Question - when exactly does the voting end. A post on the Ideas Facebook page says it ends at 12:00 Midnight, May 2, Central European Summer Time.

I'm trying to figure out - is it 3 hours from now (it's 9 PM on Sunday in Europe)? Or does they get the entire day of May 2 as well (which would be it 27 hours from now)? I can't remember from past periods if the submitters got the entire day of that date, or if it was at the very beginning of date.

They're all lovely projects, and I supported all of them myself. I do agree they all still face long odds, but then so do all Ideas projects in general, and these have already come further than most.

I fear the Particle Accelerator and rolling BB-8 will likely both be nixed on safety grounds (and tie for the honor of being the first LEGO Ideas projects ever declined for that particular reason, though of course we won't know the reason for certain), but I'd love to be proven wrong. The Jurassic Park Visitor Center and Jedi High Council Chamber may well run afoul of existing license terms (no project based on an existing license has ever been approved yet despite several having made it to review, including ones from both Star Wars and Jurassic Park), and of course once again, many of the projects that made it to review are just plain big. I do think that as Ideas goes on, they're testing boundaries with it, and becoming willing to do larger and larger sets with it - note how after years of CUUSOO / Ideas sets topping out at $50 USD, they had three in a row last year at $60, and now they've done one at $70 - but they've been pushing the sizes upwards cautiously, inching along, and I'm not sure they're ready to suddenly do really huge sets around $150 or more just yet. But I do think they'll get there eventually.

I think the Gingerbread House and Johnny Five are the likeliest candidates of this batch. While the Gingerbread House is kind of large-ish, it's not really too large; it could be brought in around $70 or even $60, I think, and of course it's super family-friendly and requires no licensing. Johnny Five is from a movie series that's not currently as high-profile as most of their other licenses, but it does have a following, it's family-friendly, and the license should have no conflicts and should be easy to get; moreover, the robot design is sufficiently interesting that the set may well appeal to people purely for being a cool-looking robot, even if they've never seen or even heard of the Short Circuit movies. And though amazingly detailed, the model isn't actually all that big. I think the likeliest obstacle is that it's conceptually similar to an Ideas set they've already done - a detailed, posable figure of a friendly, lovable robot from a family-oriented science fiction film, just like WALL•E. But then, they've done sets conceptually similar to one another in this line before, several times.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Looking at the list of items for review:

Fossil Museum wont get made, its too niche, they already did a dinosaur skeleton in the Research Institute set plus some of those skeleton builds look questionable.

Jedi Council is too big and tied to an existing license so forget that.

Same with the Jurassic Park Visitor Center.

Modular Train Station has the same problems as other modulars that got rejected.

Old fishing store is cool but I cant see it passing the "will it sell" test.

Particle accelerator wont sell to anyone who isn't a scientist, geek or physics guy even ignoring any safety or size issues.

BB8 has the magnet issue (its now illegal in many countries to use small magnets like that in toys, even the USA has imposed restrictions on toys with magnets small enough for a child to swallow) plus the "existing license" problem

Not sure about the Johnny 5 set or the Gingerbread House

Unless LEGO has already a gingerbread house in the works, I would say that's the set with more chances of being approved

Unless LEGO has already a gingerbread house in the works, I would say that's the set with more chances of being approved

Funny thing is that we are rumored to get a full size Holiday Train this year. The two limited edition sets last year were a miniature holiday train and a gingerbread house. So it is possible that Lego has at least considered the idea of making a minifig scale structure. With that said, I do agree that this seems to have the best chance of being made into a set this round.

If there is no problem with the BB-8 using magnets, then this is probably the best chance a Star Wars set has of being produced. BB-8 is extremely popular, and such a set would probably sell very well. Like most others, I have a feeling the magnets are more the issue than even the license this time around.

Fossil Museum wont get made, its too niche

You have got to be kidding.

With 708 days left (lol), "Voltron - Defender Of The Universe" by len_d69 got the 10000 supporters today

Aw, darn it. I wanted to support that one myself, but I was still catching up on the past few weeks' projects, and hadn't gotten to it. Oh, well.

Aw, darn it. I wanted to support that one myself, but I was still catching up on the past few weeks' projects, and hadn't gotten to it. Oh, well.

Well, we'll blame you for the extra months we have to wait before we get the outcome for this one! :sad::wink:

Fossil Museum wont get made, its too niche, they already did a dinosaur skeleton in the Research Institute set plus some of those skeleton builds look questionable.

Jedi Council is too big and tied to an existing license so forget that.

Same with the Jurassic Park Visitor Center.

Modular Train Station has the same problems as other modulars that got rejected.

Old fishing store is cool but I cant see it passing the "will it sell" test.

Particle accelerator wont sell to anyone who isn't a scientist, geek or physics guy even ignoring any safety or size issues.

BB8 has the magnet issue (its now illegal in many countries to use small magnets like that in toys, even the USA has imposed restrictions on toys with magnets small enough for a child to swallow) plus the "existing license" problem

Not sure about the Johnny 5 set or the Gingerbread House

Pretty much my thoughts. Though I didn't know the fact about magnets. I think Johnny 5 and Gingerbread House have the best chances though honestly unless the house went for a decent price($40 or lower) I don't think I'd buy any of them.

Edited by Tech Artist

That Voltron set looks good but.... I don't think it'll pass the review

EDIT

And now Spaceballs - Eagle 5, by NvdK, achieved the 10000 supporters

1448543-Eagle_5_Ideas_title.png

Edited by Robert8

Most previously approved LEGO Ideas sets were made in physical bricks, but the Adventure Time set was recently approved, so maybe they're less tight on what can be approved and what isn't. Not saying LDD models are always bad mind you, but generally they're the most plentiful of all projects, and don't stand out. It's why I believe out of the two Doctor Who sets the physical version was chosen, and it just looked nicer. As for the Voltron set, it looks too large to be made into an Ideas set, so I can't see that passing. The timing for Spaceballs is downright perfect, with the 30th anniversary being just next year. If it gets approved I can see it coming out before it normally should (I.E. The Ecto-1 releasing before the Exo-Suit even when the Exo-Suit was a whole review period before the Ecto-1) just so that it does release during the 30th anniversary.

I'm a huge Spaceballs fan, but as much as I would love an Eagle 5 set, I just don't see it being made. Apart from the rumoured deal between Brooks and Lucas that prohibits any merchandise (hence the joke about it in the movie), I doubt it would pass brand fit as there is a bit of swearing and innuendo, plus it isn't that well known outside of it's cult following, not like some of the other 80s movies that have passed that have a much wider audience, even today.

Apart from the above reasons, it surely would tick all the boxes in regards to size and build quality, it would even fit better into town layouts than most of the other Ideas sets as it is 6 wide instead of 8

Ideas really has a fascination with the eighties, doesn't it? :laugh:

That's because most of the builders grew up in the 80s when these movies/shows were screening and we all have very found memories of them.

I'd love to see the Voltron model too, that cartoon was great.

Hi guys!

A "technical" question. How would you judge this rule:

Please only suggest new ideas. No projects to “bring back” old LEGO sets.

Don't submit projects requesting we re-release or “bring back” discontinued LEGO products or themes in their original form, and don’t submit projects that are “modifications,” “improvements,” or “expansion sets” to existing or past LEGO sets. If you’re submitting a project based on a discontinued LEGO theme or brand (for example Blacktron or Octan), it must be your own new, creative work.

against projects like:

Mini Wall-E

Wall-E

Imperial Shuttle

Taj Mahal

etc.

All these projects could be said being "modifications" on past LEGO sets?!

I am not sure if there is a place for Johnny 5 after Wall-E. They are both sentinent robots with big cute eyes :wink: its for me like someone wants to submit a different version of the exo suit really. This said, I'd love to see the fossil museum going through though :laugh:

The fishing store would be great too. The council chamber could absolutely work, if made in a more simplified way, like built open and with more basic walls. Much more like the Dr. Who set than the Ghostbusters HQ. And i can clearly see the gingerbread house being made!

A "technical" question.

All these projects could be said being "modifications" on past LEGO sets?!

I'm not sure about them being a "modification", but they are certainly very similar to existing/previous products, I would bust them on that. That is if there's a written rule about that sort of thing.

But if you are talking major scale changes like that Taj Mahal, I don't know if you could just rule it out for being a model of the same thing. The architecture sets come in different scales, some are of the same building.

I think by "modification" the Ideas team is talking about really obvious copies with slight changes.