The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

I am so jazzed for Adventure Time.

I knew the Caterham was going to pass the review

But Adventure Time?

Hmmm..... well...

...Wait. Adventure Time is still a thing?

Um... yes? You two sound surprised...

Yay, Adventure Time. It'll be interesting to see what the LEGO designers do with it. AT fans are still out there.

Excited about Adventure Time (well, excited about the license much more than the set), but disappointed about The Little Prince.

The rest was as expected.

Crossing my fingers for the Yellow Submarine in the next review.

Alright, I guess it is in the end their choice. There goes the Little Prince, although totally wanted it to happen, And Senteosan, just want to say, don't give up, Maybe they're waiting for the Micro Park to get to 10,000.

And don't have much hope for the Yellow Submarine, Since there is a Knex one. But, I am not really interested in it any way.

First time the choice really surprised me. The Caterham seems like a strange choice since it's mostly a european thing.

I don't know anything about adventure time, but i am willing to learn.

Positively surprised the Caterham made it! I was afraid it might get rejected since LEGO already have the Creator Expert car series.

Don't even know what Adventure Time is.

I don't know anything about adventure time, but i am willing to learn.

Don't even know what Adventure Time is.

It's a fairly surreal American adventure-comedy cartoon on Cartoon Network. It's very popular with kids and adults, has gotten lots of praise from critics, and has won a pretty impressive number of awards. It takes place in the magical Land of Ooo and stars Finn the Human, an adventuring boy, and Jake the Dog, his talking, shape-shifting companion. I'm kinda surprised how many people aren't aware of it, since I'm not even really a fan of it (never seen a full episode) and yet I've run into references to it on a pretty regular basis.

On the other hand, I'd never heard of the Caterham Super Seven before these results were announced. I guess it's probably more well-known in Great Britain or among car buffs. It's a very well-designed project, though. I can see it becoming a cool set. Congrats to both project creators!

Edited by Aanchir

I am highly surprised they green-lit the Caterham given that its not something people who aren't car guys are likely to recognize and given that the VW, Mini AND F40 are still on the market (I am a car guy and watch a lot of Top Gear and even I dont know all that much about the Caterham)

It was obvious that Adventure Time would be green-lit as soon as they came up with a way to not need new molds just for an Ideas set.

Like the museum before, the modular library was big (even for a modular) plus libraries aren't exactly something people really want to buy models of...

Physics is too big and too niche a product.

Stay Puft is cool but I doubt they would sell anywhere near as many of the set as they have of the Ecto-1 or the Firehouse (plus they may well have the "its an existing license so that limits what we can do" problem)

Indomius Rex is bigger than the T-Rex AND licensed and far too hard to make into a viable set.

Both LOTR projects were too big plus LOTR as a theme has been a failure overall.

The Little Prince just isn't well known. And we dont know if there were issues obtaining a license for this.

It would have been cool to see the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man (and I would have bought one) but I can understand that the existing license, the new film, the larger size and the fact that its not as popular as other things in Ghostbusters means its not viable as a set.

As for the next review list, the Jurassic Park explorer has all the problems of other Jurassic Park sets including the size.

2000 Leagues is far too big to be viable.

LandCruiser is also too big (plus its a very boring car)

Yellow Submarine requires a Beetles license (not exactly the easiest thing in the world to get these days) plus they would find it hard to get a market outside of die-hard Beetles fans.

HMS Beagle is too big and not all that well known

Concorde is great but the thing doesn't fly anymore and a lot of kids today wouldn't recognize the thing (especially in America where it wasn't as well known as it was in Europe even when it was flying) plus there would be a need to license the name and any airline names used on it).

Victorian London is far too big

I think the best chance would be the Saturn 5 Rocket. Kids like rockets. Space buffs like rockets. History buffs like Apollo era stuff. I would probably buy one.

Edited by jonwil

Um... yes? You two sound surprised...

Mmm I like Adventure Time but I don't like the set

It lacks of the creativeness of the show

I'm not a car guy, but I'm surprised about the Caterham. As mentioned, other large scale vehicles are still on the market, so it's not like Lego cars are a super hot thing. But in that group of competition, I guess I could see why Lego went in that direction. None of the licensed sets that Lego already has will get approved - Stay Puft and Rex - and LOTR is long dead. Then you have modular, which Lego can already make themselves and may be out of the Ideas price point.

Adventure Time is a good win. It's an easy license to move, as so many people love it. I feel like the same people that like AT would also like Lego. And I feel like AT could be a cheaper set in the realm of $30-40.

I thought that neither, both or one of those two would pass, and most likely nothing else.

Shame about the hornet, what with all the carry-over time.

Not that i think it would pass, but i don't find the Land Cruiser boring I much prefer it to F40, Caterham and especially that Corvette. Not everyone likes fast cars. I like vehicles with a different set of capabilities, and that LC is a sort of godfather in the 4x4 world

Edited by Sven F

Well, I'm done with Lego Ideas, tab has been closed, likely never to be re-opened.

Oh well.

:tongue:, I know how you feel, but hey it is super hard to be like everyone expects them to be. At least they got somewhere with something, and they still have completely stopped and froze.

And jonwil, First I wouldn't say that Beetles is a hard license to get grab of since Knex, a much smaller toy building company, has made its own Knex Yellow submarine. And I would not say that 'The Little Prince' is not well known, I see it as pretty popular. It might not be well known to you. And lastly the HMS Beagle is the ship Charles Darwin circumnavigated the globe in, and you can't say he is not popular. Who else does not know the ship.

Edited by hadidi1999

I notice Mike says in the video that LEGO's people are working on these for release in late 2016 and early 2017. After back-to-back years with four CUUSOO / Ideas sets apiece, we're apparently dropping down to just two this year. I'm guessing that's partly the result of the previous review having nothing approved, and partly the result of the Maze and, perhaps, Caterham being so large (I'm guessing the latter will be a large set, anyway). But I do hope they go back to more frequent releases next year (even though I have a hard enough time keeping up with them as it is).

Also, why reject a modular library?

As much as I want to see a modular library, I knew this never stood a chance, and not just because of the size. Modular buildings are already a well established theme/subtheme, so unless an Ideas submission does something wildly original with the concept, it's extremely unlikely that it will be something that hasn't already been considered internally. Best case scenario is that there's already a library in the pipeline, but there's also the possibility that a library had already been proposed and rejected by the design team long before the submission was ever posted.

2000 Leagues is far too big to be viable.

The project also inlcudes a smaller version

2097128-o_19uphkvllukp1drbdft13nf1nt29-thumbnail.JPG

I don't want to dig so far into this thread, but I do believe I said that I feel the Caterham will get through. It did! I am so happy for Car Greatrix.

You know, that Land Cruiser can be spruced up with real working 4WD and low-range transmission.

This is not a difficult review. Most rejected projects again have problem with scale, and I'm sure a modular library would happen in a near future (it's not the kind of "new idea" that LEGO need fans to speak by themselves).

The Petit Prince does surprise me alittle bit. If not cause unable to get the license, I do think this should be an easy model to represent the core story illusion.

Mmm I like Adventure Time but I don't like the setIt lacks of the creativeness of the show
Kinda because most of us would choose the previous rejected one nstead? I do want that treehouse, but anyway this project managed to make it achieved. I suspect that LEGO would just ultilize the license to make another HQ case happen.. :devil:

6d168dd589ab.jpg

Edited by Dorayaki

For any fans of The Little Prince wondering why TLG didn't approve what looks like a marvelous project based on a truly classic work, some more unfortunate and inexplicable news:

Paramount (which was to have been the US distributor for the new movie adaptation that has been doing well overseas) has suddenly dropped all support for the movie and pulled it from their schedule, a mere week before release, with no explanation as to why (!!!). Though obviously we can't know for sure, and it's certainly possible it's just an unfortunate coincidence, I can't help but wonder whether TLG declined the Ideas project because of some sort of weird behind-the-scenes turmoil with the property.

Even if it does turn out to be completely unrelated, the mere possibility should serve as a reminder that licensed projects in particular can face any number of additional complications which we might have no knowledge of and which are completely outside TLG's control.

I'm kinda surprised how many people aren't aware of it, since I'm not even really a fan of it (never seen a full episode) and yet I've run into references to it on a pretty regular basis.

I'm guessing it's a USA thing. This LEGO set is actually the first time I heard of it. Can't remember ever seeing it referenced over here in the Netherlands. That might be because I never watch CN and CN mainly advertises in children focused advertising spots, which I also don't see.

So, that balances it out a bit then for this review-result: a European thing in the Caterham (for us Dutchies it's not even that hard to mod it to a Donkervoort...) and a USA thing for Adventure Time.

I was rooting for the Caterham and I'm fairly confident LEGO won't mess it up too much, since thay've brought out some pretty OK model cars in recent years.

Though I would not have bought it, I thought Little Prince had a fair chance of being selected. Indeed: maybe some weird licencing issues...

Also, it seems that they'd almost forgotten about the postponed decision about the Hornet. But I'm not really surprised they deciced not to go with it.

I will say that after these last couple of review periods, a lot of the chatter I hear from friends on social media is that they aren't going to bother voting for projects on Ideas anymore as Lego is declining so many of them.

Personally, I think it would be better if TLG would give some sort of feedback (where possible) as to why they have declined it. That could possibly cut down on some of the negativity.