The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

So, what happened with the results? They should be out now, right? It's been almost a month since the last deadline

They should be out soon, but there isn't a specific date. Usually they seem to come about a month to six weeks after a review batch deadline (so that for that month-to-six-weeks period, there are two full review batches in review at the same time, as with right now), so if I had to guess when we'll get the next announcement, I'd say early February (so, perhaps in a couple weeks). Sometimes they run longer, though (as with the last announcement, when they waited until about halfway between review batch deadlines only to announce nothing was approved - I suspect they took a little extra time partly because it was such a large batch, but also partly because they really wanted to approve at least one set and were trying to see if they could do anything to make it happen). But it could happen at any time, perhaps even later today.

A what happened with that Labyrinth Marble Maze set?

It's still coming; it should be the first Ideas set released this year (unless there's either an unusually long development / production period for it, or the next set announced gets fast-tracked through production, or both).

In a thread on it over in the Special Themes forum, the project creator touthomme said there is a release date for it, but he can't say what it is.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

In a thread on it over in the Special Themes forum, the project creator touthomme said there is a release date for it, but he can't say what it is.

Oh... I see....

Thansk for the info

But I can. . . :grin: Though he probably wants it kept quiet so I won't do it.

It wasn't at the Toy Fair, I know that.

But I can. . . :grin: Though he probably wants it kept quiet so I won't do it.

Therefor, you can't.

Which makes your' post pointless.

I suspect the marble maze has taken a bit of time to get into production because the original idea isn't as close to a releasable set as was the case for things like the Ecto-1 and the Tardis...

I can and will - April release. $70 USD. :classic:

Oooh, that's a new price point for Ideas sets! Bit by bit, they continue to push the program boundaries a little further.

The classic wooden version ranges from $23 to $55 on Amazon. $70 for a LEGO version, presumably with changeable tops as presented in the original IDEAS submission, does not seem so far off from these alternatives, and its LEGO! Hope we get a bunch of balls with this as well.

I would not be a bit surprised if they made the maze out of rarer parts/color combinations and had at least one of the balls be unique to this set in order to generate more interest for the set.

It's just a lot of brick, I think - the original project appears to completely cover a 32x32 baseplate (with overhang, even), with a moving, multi-section structure. The final model could just have a huge number of parts (by Ideas standards).

I, too, would like to see this come with multiple balls, but it really just needs one, I suppose. I do hope they'll give us more, though.

Anyway, while I'd obviously rather pay less than more for the set, I'm confident it'll be worth it - the Ideas line in general seems to offer good value for money. More importantly, it illustrates that the program does seem to be (slowly) growing and evolving in ways I've long hoped and suspected it would. They started out cautiously, with sets costing $49.99 USD or less, but last year we saw them creep above that price point not once, but three times, with three sets in a row listing at $59.99 each. Now they're putting out a set at a higher price point still. I think for all those Ideas fans who've wanted to see the program used for ever larger, more complex and expensive models, this has to be an encouraging sign - as time goes by, they're more and more willing to explore the idea of approving ever larger sets.

I'm looking forward to the set, and will withhold judgement on the value until after the reveal.

Oh, I'm sure I'll want it, and I even think it'll likely be a perfectly decent deal for what one gets for the money. It's just that $70 is still a high enough price that I have to think about it, alas.

I certainly am looking forward to seeing it.

Meh. It all boils down to "there shouldn't be anything on the site except the stuff I think is good" or "there shouldn't be anything on the site except the stuff I think they might actually make", but filtering that stuff out is what the voting process is for.

The results of this next review are going to determine if I keep visiting the Ideas site on a near daily basis or I close the tab in my browser dedicated to it and basically forget it exists.

Incidentally, I see they're now posting stuff on weekends. Is this the new normal, or just an accommodation for a huge backlog?

Still not seeing Shayd's train...

Which one(s) are you hoping for?

Honestly I don't know, I'm hoping for something that justifies my time for continuing to frequent the site.

Well, here are the projects for which we're anticipating results next:

F7A Hornet

Brick-built Adventure Time figures

Caterham Super Seven

Modular Library

Lothlorien

LEGO Physics

Ghostbusters: Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

Indominus Rex

The Hobbit - Rivendell

The Little Prince

Any of those strike your fancy? Honestly, I like all of them myself, but I think the Adventure Time project is the one I'm most hoping for.

They're going to have to do something out-of-the-box I'm afraid to keep me. Maybe green-lighting that modular. We'll see.