The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

If they decide not to approve the Adventure Time proposal, I still hope they're secretly pursuing the license on their own terms a la Minecraft. Granted, they've had a year since the last AT project was rejected to do just that, so I'm not sure if it's going to happen.

It'd be great to see The Little Prince project come to fruition, but it'll probably go to the Marshmallow Man for the reasons Robert8 stated. In which case, perhaps they'll opt for a second confirmation or announce that something is on hold, just so it doesn't seem like Ideas has transformed into a Ghostbusters factory.

Does LEGO Physics have any shot of becoming a set? I can sort of envision a kit of sorts (perhaps akin to Master Builder Academy or the Minecraft Crafting Box)...but it wouldn't be to the same scale, I don't think.

I'd be very excited if the Little Prince set gets approved, if only because I'd much prefer a minifigure theme for Adventure Time.

The marshmallow man is too big. It won't be approved. And if it does, it would be much, much smaller.

1.800 parts.

But I think that the Caterham could happen. That or the spaceship.

The Caterham is a nice model, but not that well known or iconic outside the car-buff world. But then again I thought the same of the F40, and that's a set. Still it's a "model team" type set. I don't think any Ideas set that was approved so far had any existing or prior theme to fit in. I think the "original idea" aspect of ideas sets is very important.

I think the Hornet from the previous review period will get approved. Which is unfortunate for me because I don't even know what it is, and I don't particularly like it, but the selection is quite poor this time anyway.

I think the Hornet from the previous review period will get approved. Which is unfortunate for me because I don't even know what it is, and I don't particularly like it, but the selection is quite poor this time anyway.

It is from a video game. Presumably the wait is to see if the game fits LEGO's brand/If the IP is popular enough/Does it work as a stand alone if the IP isn't popular.

I don't think any Ideas set that was approved so far had any existing or prior theme to fit in. I think the "original idea" aspect of ideas sets is very important.

The Exo-Suit is Classic Space.

Yeah, but Classic Space isn't really a theme. I mean, not in any of TLG's current offerings. They like to throw little nods out to it here and there (or in the case of Benny's S!S!S! a big huge nod), but CS itself isn't a theme. Galaxy Squad was already discontinued when the Exo-Suit was released so really, Lego doesn't even have a space* theme anymore :sceptic:

*While Nexo Knights is decidedly scifi, it isn't "Space".

-------

I wonder what goes on in Ideas' meetings. No doubt Tim and the others are just as tired of seeing all the low-quality or no-chance or pre-existing-license projects as we are. I bet they don't have much room to change things. My guess is that upper management told them to keep Ideas free of elitism and open to everyone. Probably a big social media push to call for original stuff is the only resource they can really use to try and pre-filter all the crud that makes its way in.

Edited by rodiziorobs

Only thing "Classic Space" about it is the minifigs.

Yeah, but Classic Space isn't really a theme. I mean, not in any of TLG's current offerings. They like to throw little nods out to it here and there (or in the case of Benny's S!S!S! a big huge nod), but CS itself isn't a theme. Galaxy Squad was already discontinued when the Exo-Suit was released so really, Lego doesn't even have a space* theme anymore :sceptic:

*While Nexo Knights is decidedly scifi, it isn't "Space".

Well the quote I responded to said "prior theme." Classic Space is a prior theme (even if it wasn't called that at the time). True that LEGO does not have a current Space theme (you're right about Nexo Knights, and Star Wars doesn't really count as it is a licensed theme). But I still feel that the Exo-Suit was based on an older LEGO theme, and that projects in a similar vein could work out better than projects based on licensing.

Only thing "Classic Space" about it is the minifigs.

Possibly, it was a much more advanced set than any Space set released. But I felt that was part of its appeal. It pushed the boundaries of Space to a new level, an evolution of Space.

Also, those minifigures are very cool. I love that there was a new take on the Classic Space minifigures. Again, I feel that something similar could be done with other older LEGO themes. Maybe Castle, or a variation of Castle, like Forestmen. Or maybe Adventurers, or Pharaoh's Quest, or Monster Fighters. There are many defunct themes that LEGO could do without licensing that could be made to feel new, updated, and original.

Well, as far as licensing goes, I'm still really hoping the Beatles set will be approved. I'd definitely buy one the day it comes out.

Edited by x105Black

Also, those minifigures are very cool. I love that there was a new take on the Classic Space minifigures. Again, I feel that something similar could be done with other older LEGO themes. Maybe Castle, or a variation of Castle, like Forestmen. Or maybe Adventurers, or Pharaoh's Quest, or Monster Fighters. There are many defunct themes that LEGO could do without licensing that could be made to feel new, updated, and original.

This I absolutely agree with, and would love to see happen :wub: However, I am not very optimistic, and feel like these are much more likely to be developed in-house by Lego than to come from an Ideas set.

Exo-suit got it, but I think a callback to classic castle but with newer techniques would have a much harder time being produced--the tumble-down style that is in vogue right now doesn't translate well to official sets, as it is probably too advanced for a lot of younger builders, is incredibly parts-intensive, and often not up to the rigors of children's play.

I could maybe see an Adventure set gaining traction on Ideas, but still believe that kind of concept would be better served by a full theme from TLG than a one-off set from Ideas.

Edited by rodiziorobs

At risk of being stoned by a virtual bagload of boat hulls, I have to say i am putting high hopes for the beatles submarine, and that's just because it might come with a guitar element. But those results are about half a year away.

At risk of being stoned by a virtual bagload of boat hulls, I have to say i am putting high hopes for the beatles submarine, and that's just because it might come with a guitar element. But those results are about half a year away.

No worries about a stoning - clearly at least 10,000 people would like that one, after all. It's one of the ones for which I'm most hopeful, myself.

Of those 9, most of the ones that aren't too big rely on licencing and could therefore easily fail anyway. Then there's the national park one which is far too region specific to have worldwide appeal.

Of those 9, most of the ones that aren't too big rely on licencing and could therefore easily fail anyway. Then there's the national park one which is far too region specific to have worldwide appeal.

They already have the Jurassic Park license plus it's the right size, so I reckon the Jurassic Park Explorer stands a very good chance.

Possibly, but it's also possible the fact it's an active license means it's less likely to pass, since there's already an agreement in place that prescribes what can be made and, perhaps, how it can come about. We don't know for sure, but conceivably the terms of the agreement might prevent LEGO from releasing a set based on a concept by an outside third party.

It's worth noting there have been several Ideas projects based on existing licensed themes - both inactive and active, including a few projects based on themes that started with earlier Ideas projects that did get approved, like Ghostbusters and Back to the Future - and so far, not one such project based on an existing theme has ever been approved.

That doesn't mean it's flat-out impossible, either - most if not all of those previous projects had other, obvious strikes against them (such as being too large), and I myself actually intend to submit some Star Wars projects of my own. I just know I should keep my expectations in check.

Possibly, but it's also possible the fact it's an active license means it's less likely to pass, since there's already an agreement in place that prescribes what can be made and, perhaps, how it can come about. We don't know for sure, but conceivably the terms of the agreement might prevent LEGO from releasing a set based on a concept by an outside third party.

It's worth noting there have been several Ideas projects based on existing licensed themes - both inactive and active, including a few projects based on themes that started with earlier Ideas projects that did get approved, like Ghostbusters and Back to the Future - and so far, not one such project based on an existing theme has ever been approved.

That doesn't mean it's flat-out impossible, either - most if not all of those previous projects had other, obvious strikes against them (such as being too large), and I myself actually intend to submit some Star Wars projects of my own. I just know I should keep my expectations in check.

Good point, although if Ideas sets based on existing licenses won't ever be made you'd think they would specify it themselves.

Good point, although if Ideas sets based on existing licenses won't ever be made you'd think they would specify it themselves.

There is no official statement saying existing Licences can't be made, just very unlikely.

The thing is, the reason why they don't specify, is that when creators advertise their models on social media its big brands like Star Wars, Doctor Who and Jurassic Park that grab the public's eye and motivates them to go and visit the site themselves. So in turn, it not only creates potential supporters for the creators model but traffic foe the site itself.

I know for certain I would buy the Nautilus.

My brother (Also a user here, although barely active.) would almost certainly like the Concorde and the Saturn V to be made.

I think all nine are fine projects (in fact, I supported every one of them), but the three that move me most are the HMS Beagle, the Apollo - Saturn V, and the Yellow Submarine (which is actually something I'd wanted to submit myself for a long time, but never got around to it).

I think all nine are fine projects (in fact, I supported every one of them), but the three that move me most are the HMS Beagle, the Apollo - Saturn V, and the Yellow Submarine (which is actually something I'd wanted to submit myself for a long time, but never got around to it).

Yes! I too would like to see the Yellow Submarine.

The Beagle and Apollo I would also buy depending on the price.