The Real Indiana Jones

LEGO Ideas Discussion

Awesome! I especially like all the functionality in this model, the different stages and how the designer has managed to include a tiny command, service and lunar module.

If that Saturn V passes, I might have to get it just out of nostalgia. One of the first MOCs I remember making as a kid was a huge model of the Saturn V, but it collapsed before I could get pictures. It probably wasn't as big and impressive as I remember it, and definitely wasn't nearly as impressive as this one, but it still holds a special place in my heart.

And now Apollo 11 Saturn V got 10000 supporters

1562930-o_18vmhqges1sqlofi1uhe1s0c8o7-full.jpg

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/76841

I think that one has chances to pass the review

Yes. The Saturn V would be an awesome model; however I fear the proposed model is a tad to big. However, I would love an official Saturn V set, since I didn't get the Saturn V from the long gone Discovery theme. There are a few more Apollo themed sets which have popped up on Ideas which are smaller, and I hope if Lego passes the Saturn V for its size, that another (albeit smaller) set can make it to 10,000 and pass!

Also the H.M.S. Beagle would make a good set; but I worry that it could stir up controversy in the evolution debate that is happening especially in the American Deep South... I wouldn't feel that the Beagle would insult my beliefs, but I know that there are people out there who would feel bitter about it.

Also I would like to see The Yellow Submarine or the Nautilus pass; but licensing issues and the size of the Nautilus are prohibitive. I don't think Lego though would be concerned about the Rock N' Roll antics of the Beatles though, especially seeing that David Bowie, Queen, and Spinal Tap where depicted in the video game Lego: Rockband; or how The All American Rejects were used in a Bionicle Ad campaign back in 2006.

The Saturn V has a little over 1000 pieces, which would make this a $100+ set. It stands over 1 meter tall. which is huge for a Lego set. If the rocket is sturdy in design, I still think it has a decent chance of passing review. Like many people, I would love to own one of these. It represents a significant event in world history and makes a beautiful model. It would require a few stickers, but most people would understand. It would not seem licensing would be an issue since this rocket has appeared in toy form before. Even the Estes model rockets once featured a large model of Saturn V.

Saturn V in smaller size would be great. One meter tall might be unwieldy to swoosh play.

Saturn V in smaller size would be great. One meter tall might be unwieldy to swoosh play.

I have the 7468 Saturn V set and it's a neat little set but I would love to see this version as a set. Instant buy for me if it gets made...

If the Maze comes out in January I sure hope it's revealed soon. Wasn't in any retailer catalogs, oddly enough.

The longest produced model kit of the Saturn V, has been over a meter tall for 40+ years now. It is one of the most popular plastic model kits ever produced being bought and built by generations of young boys and their fathers and grandfathers. So there is some pretty good data on potential market for the scale.

The longest produced model kit of the Saturn V, has been over a meter tall for 40+ years now. It is one of the most popular plastic model kits ever produced being bought and built by generations of young boys and their fathers and grandfathers. So there is some pretty good data on potential market for the scale.

I wonder if that is actually a downside. There are some really well detailed scale models already available. Will a lego one sell well against them? That is something they will have to take into consideration.

Ideas doesn't work for me anymore. I click on "Discover" and get a search error every time. I also keep getting "site not secure" warnings because it keeps trying to redirect the browser to use https instead of http, but apparently it's not actually using secure data (SSL).

I gave it a few days, cleared the browser of all cookies, and still not working.

Ahh... even when I switch to firefox (on a clean install of Ubuntu Linux), it says it's an unsecured connection.

On firefox I can add a security exception; I think why Chrome still doesn't work is that you need to approve each page, so the search function must count as separate and just fails.

I will use firefox for now, but I think the Ideas security certificate expired.

Somebody at LEGO let their security certificate expired and didn't renew it....

ideas.lego.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate expired on 12/12/2015 02:58. The current time is 12/12/2015 16:39.

(Error code: sec_error_expired_certificate)

Well, it isn't like ideas was good before that. Nearly all projects were crappy and useless or gigantic and impossible to produce. Only like 10% of everything on ideas had a chance. And only a small group of those reached 10K. And from those products only 1 would be made.

Well, it isn't like ideas was good before that. Nearly all projects were crappy and useless or gigantic and impossible to produce. Only like 10% of everything on ideas had a chance. And only a small group of those reached 10K. And from those products only 1 would be made.

Well, that's kind of the point of LEGO Ideas.... to narrow down all the ideas from the LEGO community and find those few that are viable to produce as sets. It wasn't created with the expectation that the majority of things posted there would become products.

Agree with Aanchir... that's kind of the point that voters narrow it down to a few sets to be reviewed. I agree most of the submissions are useless and crappy, that people use the site to show off mocs when there are clearly other sites more suitable for that. But it is what it is, and there have been great sets that came out of ideas, so I don't see how it's not "good."

We have got some great sets from Ideas. But do you know what would be even better?

If they renew the website's security certificate soon...

It's unfathomable a company like LEGO can't get an expired security certificate fixed yet. I would say chances are pretty good the ideas website might just get shut down by the end of the year, only reason I can imagine no one has bothered to fix it.

We have got some great sets from Ideas. But do you know what would be even better?

If they renew the website's security certificate soon...

Mmmm... I respectfully disagree. I think getting the security certificate fixed soon would be (is) good, but the great sets we've gotten and are getting are even better. :D

It's unfathomable a company like LEGO can't get an expired security certificate fixed yet. I would say chances are pretty good the ideas website might just get shut down by the end of the year, only reason I can imagine no one has bothered to fix it.

It's a little embarrassing, but it's hardly the first time I've seen this happen with a major company. I suspect it having expired on a weekend had something to do with the delay in fixing it, and it does seem to be fixed now. And I think there's virtually zero chance the Ideas site will be shut down (at least for anything other than maintenance or updates) by the end of the year (now just over two weeks away). It's an essential part of the whole Ideas program, and I don't see that just going away anytime soon.

Edited by Blondie-Wan

Why would be unfathomable? Their IT priority might be more focused now on keeping the ordering system and site working for the big Christmas shopping season.

People can get around the expired certificate by adding an exception in their web browser if they really must get on the Ideas site.

People can get around the expired certificate by adding an exception in their web browser if they really must get on the Ideas site.

Isn't it fixed now, anyway? It certainly seemed so to me, when I made my last post, and still does now. Are others still having issues?