Sign in to follow this  
joshdont

[MOC] EV3 Minecraft Creeper Mashup

Not sure how appropriate this is! Understandable if it gets flagged. First time confused poster : )

This is a mashup using a LEGO EV3 (EDU version, but Retail instructions are included) kit with 3/16" thick foam core, for the purpose of creating a 2 foot tall Minecraft Creeper.

Full build instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/Large-LEGO-MineCraft-Creeper-Bot/

I hope this helps someone in need of a fun weekend project : )

post-123766-0-77971900-1398215482_thumb.jpg

That's awesome! Although it is just basically a simple tread design, it works!

Now if only I engineered the legs to move too...

Welcome to EB!

Thanks for sharing, looks pretty cool.

I think the foam body could have been a little better with the stickers covering the edges tho. :sweet::blush:

Or one set of sides cut shorter to counter the thickness of the foam so you don't see the edges.

TSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

nice :D it moves just like the "real" one lol

welcome to Eb

Thanks for the feedback!

Doc_Brown, I didn't think to extend the sticker/printed parts over the exposed edges, that would easily hide the exposed foam board sections! The original design called for a slightly more complex cutting/folding job of the board, but I decided to go for the simpler version that (unfortunately) leaves the inner edges exposed. Printing the skin/stickers just a little wider would be a very simple 'cover up' for that. Thanks for the suggestion!

Legozebra, getting the legs to move accurately would be amazing! If I could get the legs to do the appropriate motion while using the tread design to do the actual moving, that I think might be doable?

Creeper walking animation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5oIBcWzDw4

I'm assuming that getting an object to walk like that in real life would be very, very difficult. But faking it might be easier and still look appropriate?

Mmmmmm ; )

Welcome to EB! Excellent work, I like how this creeper is made, I built tons of foam puzzles before and I find this is absolutely amazing on how you built it. Making the creeper walk sounds like a engineering challenge that would be fun to do.