SkaForHire

(Completed) Call to Arms! Battle of The Wither Woods (And LDD Ch

AscI finally have my troops reorganised, is there a need for sending reinforcements? :) I discovered I already have 130 "1001 Tigers" :D

Holy moly! Nothing went right that turn!

Btw Byarssh is a no die character, as she is a PGTC board member.

Are the Yukar warriors dead?

Uggghhh! I hope that mage of mine knows some better spells!

Funny you both should post back to back. The mage just stunned the Yukar leader this turn, and he just lost his horse. One of the Yukar are dead, the other two besides Hattaman are still fighting I believe. Saddly the Yukar have been silent partners in the original Horsten push up the middle. They have been helping a lot, but nothing to momentous at the moment.

Holy moly! Nothing went right that turn!

Btw Byarssh is a no die character, as she is a PGTC board member.

She has already been healed up and summoned more pets... We are actually behind a bit in stories. There are a good 3 or 4 turns more . After I get these papers graded, I will try to get up another one.

Chapter 8

Commanding Courage

In the Hand of Ediz Falconi, Arkbri Falcons.

Battle Report, Personal Journal.

Our presence at the battle of the Wither Woods was requested by a secret bidder. The Falcons were represented by two crossbowmen and two heavy fighters, along with myself. It was to be a routine fight, a field battle as we have seen many times before, but many oddities happened.

We arrived a week before the battle, and my repetition for cunning tactics had arrived long before us. I was given command of the far right flank of our army, which consisted mostly of mercenary corps, a few wizards, a necromancer, his skeletal army, and a pack of Cyclops. The latter was awkward, as I had slain a few of their brethren at Queenscross.

14716627176_1b248ac29f_z.jpgDSC_1321 by skaforhire, on Flickr

As usual, I made sure that my troops hung back as the rival mercenary corps went forward. A wizard by the name of Ravencroft teleported some heavy troops a way in front of us, stupidly, but they seemed to hold their own for a bit. The mercenary corps of the Death’s Head and Kaliphlin Stars, along with some minor other group tried to make it to the unit of Redguard that had been teleported forward.

14731147556_fdd7a6fc35_z.jpgDSC_1357 by skaforhire, on Flickr

We hung back, and I quickly made friends with the Kharkhon the Necromancer. I decided he would be valuable asset with so many mages on the battlefield. His company of mercenaries had moved with the Yukar tribe up the line, but he had been misdeployed from the beginning. Their loss, my gain. We agreed to protect his person if he did as I said. So I stationed Ral on his back (as we had just learned the fate of one of our mages who had been assassinated in the back) and I gave orders from the back.

It became obvious that we were under matched, as many of our flank siphoned off and engaged more towards the middle.

14754136705_89284dc34c_z.jpgDSC_1375 by skaforhire, on Flickr

The Death’s Head company along with the Kaliphlin Stars had made it to the Redguard, but had been overwhelmed by the Amazons, Alleenridders, and Dugal himself. The far flank along the river had been crippled by some man named Jakon along with a Yeti named “Mark.”

14705765327_d1d4a9f2e0_z.jpgDSC_3491 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Immediately in front of me the famed Black Boars and their leader Harold the Smooth engaged the Amazons and Dugal. The idiot crossbowmen of Alfred Hamlin’s company shot two of these Black Boars in the back, decreasing our number.

14772210274_126798efc6_z.jpgDSC_1394 by skaforhire, on Flickr

The Matriarch of the Cyclops was the first one killed from her brood, she was raised as a zombie by Kharkhon, and she joined our defenses close to me. Also, the last of the red guard broke and ran towards me, and I successfully rallied them to join my squad.

14869331436_5cf180aed9_z.jpgDSC_3481 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Still, the mercenaries, along with a man by the name of Sir Rex Marizrack beat back almost all of the Amazons except their leader. A fireball from Ravencroft killed one of the Aleenridders, and we were holding our own well. That is until the far right broke, as Arvon Colest of the Death’s Head company fell.

It was at this point that we had a decision to make. Run or Fight.

14705581230_9351a5049b_z.jpgDSC_3531 by skaforhire, on Flickr

To Be Continued.

Aw, a fallen Alleenridder-brother :( well, he died as he wished: like a hero :)

Edited by Damaximus

Chapter Nine

Side by Side, Bonded in Blood.

In the hand of Darrin Longshot, retainer for Garret Hailfist.

Without our master, we continued to rain arrows upon our enemy, but we decided to stick closely to Jakon and his mercenaries. They are clearly the most superior troops that took up arms on this side of the battlefield. I feel as if Dugal himself pales in comparison to the mighty Jakon.

14751559596_3641a6a43b_z.jpgDSC_1388 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Jakon was fighting side by side with Mark the Yeti, and they were only pausing to be healed by McSquiggins the piper and healer. They seemed to fear nothing, as they fell a large contingent of undead that came to aid the enemy Redguard. Despite the overwhelming numbers, Jakon led our men over a small ruin into the courtyard of the mill. The Blueguard and mercenaries under his command made short work of most of the Cyclops, although they had already killed many of the Amazons on our right.

14889187801_467977472b_z.jpgDSC_3547 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Jakon helped killed Arven Colest, the leader of the Death’s Head company and then jumped over the rubble to kill their mascot Pickles. I swear he ripped a pound of flesh from its body and ate it raw. Mark did the same, and they bonded in blood. Jakon had also picked up a bad habit from GEAR Co. soldiers. They tend to loot in the midst of battle instead of the battle… Jakon picked up the Redguard Sergeant’s magic sword and used it to slay Colest.

14889229671_6a40216cc7_z.jpgDSC_3508 by skaforhire, on Flickr

IT was about this time that the ground rumbled from behind us. There was a booming voice that said “Oh brothers, how I long to fight you myself. … But that is not in the cards I am afraid. I bestow onto you one last surprise. Now this war of brothers is truly equal. BEHOLD, MIKEO, long lost – Returned!”

I looked to our rear and to the right, and a portal larger than a building opened. Out stepped Eastgates personal merchant protection regiment, the Blackguard – led by someone named Mikeo. This was no good, as they were directly behind us.

14705928380_640d3ac5ab_z.jpgportal by skaforhire, on Flickr

We jumped off the rock and ran to see what Jakon would have us do…

Chapter 10

Hammer and Anvil

Partial record, in an unknown hand.

14587904128_35e53c73cb_z.jpgDSC_1406 by skaforhire, on Flickr

… The luck dragon appeared out of the large portal, and we knew it was the second phase of Petera’s glorious plan. Ingenious really, retrieving his long dead twin brother – the other brother seemed to make it out of the underworld too -- and using him as a surprise attack on his own brothers!

14705800617_762f3a1e34_z.jpgDSC_3462 by skaforhire, on Flickr

The Blackguard he brought, along with the Efrite and some of the most terrifying warriors of Historica were topped off with the Luck Dragon. Although, I would not remove the luck dragon from my presence, think of all the bad mojo that catches up to you when you step out of that monster’s shadow!

14705640819_95ae7276b0_z.jpgDSC_3509 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Immediately after appearing, Lord Zach’s men were deployed against the new threat. Many of them falling in the first seconds of attack, as it seemed their luck had been sapped from them. Everything according to plan!!! This was excellent.

In front of me however, things were drawing to a stalemate. The Red Guard were deep in battle with Aleden Mantherin and his damn Blue Guard.

14705589590_28d23f1a8e_z.jpgDSC_3522 by skaforhire, on Flickr

There were a series of gnomes that were slowly clawing their way through our ranks, but it seemed for the most part the stalemate was holding. This was our anvil, and Mikeo and his men were the hammer. The iron was hot, and Mikeo broke out to strike against the middle while the two far flanks were keeping Dugal’s troops occupied.

14889249011_62699ca8a8_z.jpgDSC_3492 by skaforhire, on Flickr

But then… Just to my left “King” Fenghen Wade disappeared. Little did we know, this would be much more crucial to the battle than most of the fireballs I had thrown.

14869283856_c6c45c5bf9_z.jpgDSC_3520 by skaforhire, on Flickr

To Be Continued…

Field Notes

The hand of Gerald Talrich, Blue Guard Sergeant

It's become apparent that we The Blue Guard have been tasked with the duty of holding the very center of the battle field, as we were told by Commander Al'leden in his words "We're going to march up the middle and the other troops be damned if they get in our way!". I hate him so much, he's a pompous arrogant idiot who cares more about how his uniform looks than results. I've been in the Blue Guards nearly as long as He has and Work my way up the ranks to command my own squad but Al'leden was never a sergeant, he has no charisma and he got his promotion purely on pomp. The Blue Guard has been in decline since he became commander it's clear as day, A few years ago we would have wiped the floor with the Red Guard even with their magically enhanced weapons. He's a blight on our Reputation and my only hope is that he dies on this field so When Dugal wins back Eastgate we may have a Competent leader again.

We Engaged the oncoming line as per orders not without help though and were in not for these men I doubt we'd have held on against their superior weaponry.

14705616439_ba8a627caf.jpgDSC_3532 by skaforhire, on Flickr

First Among them was a man with a Glowing Blue axe that seems to Rival even the Golden Axe of Eastgate in power as I saw it cut a fully armored man in half with ease, the mans name is apparently Torgonius as one of my men had the chance to ask before the battle, and saw me admittedly slack-jawed at the sight of him running headlong into the front line his men in tow fearlessly engaging the Red Guard, the most astonishing sight was seeing him get stabbed and then without missing an opportunity he pulled the sword out and sliced the mans head off and kept fighting, This is the type of man the Blue Guard need as a commander.

14705644569_6a5ab28ef8.jpgDSC_3506 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Among the center field we weren't blessed with the Archers Sir Cannondale was given command over, as Dugal and Paulos thought the crown would make a good pot for them to look over the battle field they were sent to the other side of the road, but among some of the men Dugal's allies sent was a man named Nar Grisan, a more extraordinary Equestrian Archer I've never seen even among our own ranks, He has impecible timing and an almost superhuman ability to pick out targets through all the haze of battle, some of it may be his elevated height but he's worked in colaboration with our mages to ensure every one of his shots fells it's target, I've only seen one of the men he shot survive, A mysterious Knight I've never seen before.

14705611110_d1803c5813.jpgDSC_3504 by skaforhire, on Flickr

While we may not have Quantity we were blessed with Quality when it came to Archers as the only other archer we were given to our line was an Elf chariot driver named Elvrich, Reports say he's been the one raining down arrows on the Red Guards back line softening them up. Through the blood and sweat on my brow I've been seeing the Red Guards heavy division fall to hails of arrows raining down like needles peircing even then coarsest of canvas. I've no clue how many he's put down but it's made my job significantly easier knowing that behind the man I'm fighting there will be his dead ally.

14889249011_62699ca8a8.jpgDSC_3492 by skaforhire, on Flickr

I'd be remiss if I did not praise the Minotaur at our side their strength is a boon against Petera's fel-magic forces, where my men must look for an oppening in the armor the Minotaur go through it with their piercing tridents, it's a sight to behold, that much power is terrifing and inspiring at the same time.

14705589590_28d23f1a8e.jpgDSC_3522 by skaforhire, on Flickr

And still I feel the worst is yet to come, at least Al'leden is leading the charge now that he's caught up and done cowering in the back, My best guess is he saw Dugal would be able to see us with out him in the line and realize what a mistake it was to put him in charge.

The battle is really turning out to be quite epic guys, great job with it! And I am glad my squad under the command of my general Torgonius is proving to be an asset to Dugal's forces. :classic:

Sweet, got some good eyes-on with the Yukar this time. I like that you used the ornate warhammer design I had!

Glad to see my troops at least delayed them for a turn.... :)

This battle is really good, can't wait for the rest

Nooooo!!! Old Herrick is a deader. I felt it as it happened! Such as close friend was he. And always the careful one, but no protection spells to prevent this betrayal... My loss is heavy indeed, who now shall smooth our waters? Fill our sails and call fish into our nets?

This I pledge: He will have a proper burial with a proper bier and a good many memories told. And large tankards of ale and the best sausages around. I'll see to that! And let me get my hands on his slayer, I know a game or two that we can play.

[sorry to be calling in late, was sailing in greece, no less]

[And TOTAL awesomeness]

Edited by Horssten

What an epic and thrilling battle this is turning into! Great write-up format with these different reports :classic:

A small suggestion however would be to be more clear on who belongs to which side, I've been quite confused a few times.

I was just about to suggest exactly the same thing. Maybe a line in the opening paragraph explaining whether the unit writing is fighting for Dugal or Petera. Great story as always, nice to see the Minotaur unit making a contribution.

I was just about to suggest exactly the same thing. Maybe a line in the opening paragraph explaining whether the unit writing is fighting for Dugal or Petera. Great story as always, nice to see the Minotaur unit making a contribution.

I get you, we should have done that, this is the first time we have wrote from both sides... so I guess we did not think of that.

Good to see that Sir Rex is doing something! I'm looking forward to more battle reports :wink:

I had a dream that Rex killed your sister's character last night -- even though they are on the same team, which led to the gnomes chanting "sororicide, sororicide, sororicide!" It was a very weird dream, and probably a sign that we need to wrap the battle up soon.

Good to see that Sir Rex is doing something! I'm looking forward to more battle reports :wink:

A bloody battle indeed, I see some of my men, are already fighting, while the rest are dead/left behind.

Great work guys. :thumbup:

I had a dream that Rex killed your sister's character last night -- even though they are on the same team, which led to the gnomes chanting "sororicide, sororicide, sororicide!" It was a very weird dream, and probably a sign that we need to wrap the battle up soon.

Hahaha WAT.

Got a few questions regarding my troops:

Are the Karshak out of the battle for good? You said that all the orcs got "decimated" so does that mean that they are all dead/unconscious for the remainder of the battle?

What happened to Earl Jaxon and his Avalonians? Did they make it to the battle and where are they?

Similar question for Rayskarr. Where is he? And which side is he fighting for?

Got a few questions regarding my troops:

Are the Karshak out of the battle for good? You said that all the orcs got "decimated" so does that mean that they are all dead/unconscious for the remainder of the battle?

What happened to Earl Jaxon and his Avalonians? Did they make it to the battle and where are they?

Similar question for Rayskarr. Where is he? And which side is he fighting for?

Actually, the orcs that were with the Karshak (the ones belonging to Vladius) were the orcs that were decimated, the Karshak leader lost his warg, but is actually still under the little tree near the rock formation where he lost his warg... since his opponents are very high level characters, and he is a character with a lot of armor, they have been in a stalemate for many turns now. I think he just got wounded today when we played a turn. One of the Karshak are dead, the other is by his side.

Earl Jaxon is still alive, and some of his men are too... I can't find a good picture of him though. He doesn't have the laketown helmet, but he has a unique helmet. 14891977492_8e7fca7be6_z.jpgDSC_3479 by skaforhire, on Flickr All of those green troops are his, and he is slightly to their left, wearing a brickforge gladiator helmet (the really big one) He lost his horse early, but has been killing amazons since. He is still alive as of this moment in the game.

Rayskarr did not make it to battle, mostly because we missed him initially when making troops. Sorry!