Set number: 42025

Name: Cargo Plane

Number of parts: 1297

Price: 119,99 eur (S@H Germany)

LEGO Technic fans are always complainig that sets are not innovative enough and that TLG always uses same, boring colours and same types of wehicles (trucks, cars and cosntruction equipment). Well, this time thats not the case: we got rare type of vehicle (transport plane) and two relativly rare colours: white and blue (a lot less than it seems at first look).

This set was meant to be "1,5h flagship", but its still not on sale in some countries, due to this years offset caused by LEGO Movie.

Ok, lets get to review itself: surprisingly, after last years very small sized 42000 box, we again got normal sized box. Its the same size as for example 9397 box, but also the same size as nearly double priced 42009 Crane set (I heard that TLG is having some problems with stuffing polybags into smaller sized boxes). In my opinion, box design is very good and set look decently attractive.

img_3233.jpg

On the back side we have even more innovative "howercraft" B-model. I didnt put it together, but it loks good enough to be standalone set.

img_3241.jpg

Contents of the box. As we can see its half full which is similar to ther sets of that size.

img_3187.jpg

We get 11 polybags plus motor and battery box.

img_3197.jpg

Instruction come in three booklets (just one would be much better as on some newer sets).

img_3249.jpg

"gagne" boy is of course there :cry:

img_3253.jpg

Two giant (A4 sized) DSS sheets. This is really A LOT of stickers.

img_3244.jpg

After sorting, we can see that there is really a lot of white bricks. We get impressive amount of both curved and flat panels, six of the new narrow type panels and decent amount of liftarms and other elements. Its insteresting that curved panels are of old type, with less holes (not like on 42009). It seems that TLG will continue to produce both types and use them as needed. You can also notice different accents of white. Its very obvious here, but not so much on finished model.

img_3199.jpg

New, "narrow" panel. I dont think it was necessary, but now its here and it will surely be used a lot.

img_3208.jpg

img_3210.jpg

New, "axle pin" (also used in other 2014 sets).

img_3217.jpg

Other interesting part, most notably even five mini LA-s.

img_3212.jpg

Not that many gears. There are no complex mechanisms on this set (except gearbox) and it shows. Please also note small amount of blue colour, which is mostly added with stickers.

img_3222.jpg

M-motor and some pins (a lot less than in 42009, which got nearly 1000). Its too bad that motor is not newer, "L" type.

img_3227.jpg

This time we dont start with transmission (like in most sets), but with undercarriage mechanism. Gear box is this time at the top of the set and is added later.

img_3257.jpg

Standard 4 way transmission. Nothing new here.

img_3262.jpg

After we connect lower and upper part, plane starts to take shape. It's interesting to see that instructions lead you to "force" mini LA during construction and open the cabin. It goes, but the sound is terrible.

img_3259.jpg

Finally, we add the wings. Set with wings is really huge and becomes difficult to handle.

img_3335.jpg

Stickers cover most of the surface, but also really make this set come to life:

img_3327.jpg

Side view looks a little bit "empty", especially at the back side.

img_3344.jpg

Most functions are operated with levers on the top of the plane. Left two operate 4 stage transmission with following functions: lifting front cabin, operating landing gear, lowering rear acces ramp and spinning of propellors. All functions work ok and fast enough. Propelolors have safety mechanism and can stop when hitting obstacle. Center lever operates function, which was (at least for me) somehow unexpected: slats, which are used to make wings longer (change the geometry of wing and make landings easier). Its just simple mechanical transmission, but it works really ok. Even more to the right is lever which controls aillerons (roll the plane) and elevator (lifts/lowers the plane). Unfortunately, rudder is fixed.

img_3346.jpg

Functions:

Liftin/lowering the cabin:

img_3341.jpg

img_3342.jpg

Lifting/lowering back ramp:

img_3339.jpg

Lifting/lowering landing gear:

img_3349.jpg

Wheel dont "hide" completely, but just "flatten"

img_3350.jpg

It looks much better from the side:

img_3353.jpg

img_3354.jpg

Wheel covers also move up, when wheels go down .

img_3345.jpg

Last function is propellor rotation. They rotate in opposite edition and have safety mechanism which can stop then when hitting obstacle.

img_3321.jpg

Other functions are manual: One of more unexpected to me was flaps (I hope I got that right). They are used to change geometry of wings at landing or when lower speed is required. Here in closed position:

img_3336.jpg

And here in opened. Please note that flaps are just inner two panels. Outer ones are calles "aillerons" and control "roll" of airplane. Inner one (of the turn) moves up an outer one down. They are used to turn the airplane, together with "elevators", which are located on the tail. Both are controlled by same handle, located at the middle back of airplane (in-cabin placement like on Sopwith camel would be better, but closed cabin makes it impossible to implement).

img_3337.jpg

Already mentioned elevators, located at the tail. Both move in same direction and tend to fall down due to weight of the panels. Rubber like on Sopwith Camel would help a lot here. There is no rudder control and its location is just indicated with additional liftarms (on vertical fin).

img_3340.jpg

Here are some comparison shots: when building it, this set reminded me very much to classic 8480 - Space shuttle. Its size is roughly the same and it has similar functionality (4 way gearbox). You can also see how "snow white" are new bricks comapred to 20 year old ones.

img_3357.jpg

Helicopter 9396 is much newer and even more similar build. Again, they are approximately same sized and both with 4 gear gearbox and some other functions (collective control on helicopter and directional controls on plane). Helicopter comes withour motor and battery box and its colours are not htat rare, but its still very good value at 40 euro less than airplane (90 vs 130 euro)

img_3363.jpg

Ok, next set is not Technic, but I had it handy and its (again) similarly sized. Its LEGO Creator Expert 10226 Sopwith Camel. Its visualy much more accurate and it also has some interesting functions like working suspension on undercarriage and working in-cabin control stick, but there are way to few gears for us Technic fans (everything is controlled with strings). :)

img_3368.jpg

Conclusion: I give this set 9/10 points.

It impresses with idea, colour and good implementation of (at least some) functions. It gives Techinc range well needed "freshness" and it also servees as very good example of (simple) avionics and plane controls.

As negative I wold point out the price (at least compared to 9396), a little too opened back side and really too much stickers (it would be better if they would use a litle bit more of blue colour instead

All in all, I would certainly recommend this set. I must warn you though, to prepare large enough storage place, because this "giant" will not fit in many shelfs.

I would like to thank Jan Beyer from LEGO CEE team for making this possible.

Very nice review!

All in all, I would certainly recommend this set. I must warn you though, to prepare large enough storage place, because this "giant" will not fit in many shelfs.

To me this is the biggest drawback - my shelves are too narrow so it stands on the table in the dinning room - what does not make my fiance happy ;).

Also - what I would like to point out - center of gravity of this plane is exactly under the wings. While standing only on the double wheels - the set will keep perfect balance. To me this kind of things make the set even more awesome.

I'm hoping when we see the price drop a little and availability in the USA improve on this monster we will see some more double sized Cusom versions

Great review, but just a point, the box is not the same as 42009 - that is a large square whereas this is a rectangular one :classic:

I do like this model, but its functionality is too similar to 9396, which I have enough trouble finding a space to display as it is - so obviously the Cargo Plane is rather far down the list sets I still need to acquire.

Great review!

I really like this set. Specially for variety of pieces in rare color for mics.

For me is so bad such quantity of stickers :p

It's a good-looking set, but I was hoping for more complex functionality. Currently building the B-model, the hovercraft, curious how it will turn out.

Nice review- I like the use of many photos!

:thumbup:

I must warn you though, to prepare large enough storage place, because this "giant" will not fit in many shelfs.

To me this is the biggest drawback - my shelves are too narrow so it stands on the table in the dinning room - what does not make my fiance happy ;).

My thoughts exactly- I was visiting my brother in Wien recently, and debated whether to get this plane or the Container Truck. Eventually, I got the truck (I like trucks better anyway)- it was much cheaper, yes, but that wasn't the issue- the plane is simply too big. I wasn't prepared to hang it from the ceiling like we used to do with plastic models when we were kids...

AWESOME review! Congrats!

I had my plane a few months ago, and love it!!! I think it's kinda "different of the rest"... Still haven't applied the stickers eheheheh

Next step: 9396 :)

1897775_713053802048558_289050135_n.jpg

I don't usually apply the stickers, but very much like the race truck from a few years back, it almost looks bare and wrong without the stickers.

Plane looks fine without stickers in 'real life'. I haven't applied them either, for two reasons: they're hard to get on straight, and they're very hard to get off afterwards.

Edited by jantjeuh

So, I just got mine today and will be building it very soon. I'm curious, where is everyone storing theirs, considering the large amount of space it takes up? Is there enough space for it on your desk/table/shelf, etc? Or maybe somewhere on the floor or even suspending it from the ceiling?

Just opened my box today. I purchased it at my local Lego shop in western NY. It came with one 225 page book. So far I just have the center part built and can't believe its size.

Glenn

Just opened my box today. I purchased it at my local Lego shop in western NY. It came with one 225 page book. So far I just have the center part built and can't believe its size.

Glenn

Another single book like the 42009? I wonder why

Nice review! I somehow missed it, I guess?!

This is an awesome model. One of my favorites! It looks cool, has great functionality, it's not a car or truck and it has a nice collection of white panels.

I still want to pick up another copy....just because :sweet: