samlr

10221 SSD and broken parts ...

Hello everybody,

I just decided to clean my Super Star Destroyer and guess with what I ended up ?

13954825703_4e2da706a7_o.png

It my first broken parts in 25 years ...

Is it a known problem ? A solved problem ? Something I did wrong ? Did someone else face the same problem ?

Thank you !

SamLr

I know some people have complained that the small 1x1 pieces like this clip, cheese slopes, etc have been cracking. I'm not sure if it's part design or a plastic issue. The only parts I've had crack are the 1x1 headlight bricks, and those were from space sets in the 80's. You can contact Lego and they'll send you replacements for free.

This has happened to me before and it is really annoying! :hmpf_bad:

Edited by iamwhoiam

Yes it's annoying ! :hmpf_bad: And it doesn't seem to happen on older sets like 10175 (hopefully). I've contacted S@H and ordered some spares, hope it will be enough ...

Did they break while you were cleaning it or were they already cracked/broken from sitting assembled for the two years? I've always wondered if it was bad for the bricks to stay assembled for long periods of time. In other words; does the clutch of the bricks actaully wear them out.

Did they break while you were cleaning it or were they already cracked/broken from sitting assembled for the two years? I've always wondered if it was bad for the bricks to stay assembled for long periods of time. In other words; does the clutch of the bricks actaully wear them out.

Yes, the clutch does stress the bricks slightly, and over a long time it can crack them. If these clips also had bars in the clips, they would have had stress pushing the arms of the clip outward while the stud underneath was pushing the walls of the plate outward - forces in opposite directions that would have increased the likelihood of a crack developing.

The broke just sta

They broke just standing there.

I checked others set, especially set 10175, assemble 5 / 6 years ago and stored the same way. None of the 40 clips broke. I've noticed something however ; the clips on 10175 and 10221 both have mold number 2555 but the shape is different :

13971718373_9937dff1bf_o.png

Clip from set 10175 on the left / Clip from set 10221 on the right

Yes, the clutch does stress the bricks slightly, and over a long time it can crack them. If these clips also had bars in the clips, they would have had stress pushing the arms of the clip outward while the stud underneath was pushing the walls of the plate outward - forces in opposite directions that would have increased the likelihood of a crack developing.

On set 10175 they have bars and not on set 10221.

I can understand that mechanical stress and temperature variations can sometimes break a part. But here it's 13 of them and they are quite recent. I am wondering if the change of mold or maybe of plastic is not responsible for these parts braking down ?

I would think the plastic is the problem. I have never seen that part break before, and they have cracks in different places. If it was stress from the stud underneath I would not expect it to crack at the corner as one of yours did.

I am constantly amazed by how many people haven't experienced broken pieces. I must have the worst luck in LEGO then. That first picture you posted is a common sight in my LEGO room. Even minifigures that aren't connected to anything will be cracked (new minifigures, such as Iron Man or Admiral Ackbar!). One would think it could be the plastic since not all of my pieces are cracked by clutch alone. Many times they are broken right out of the box. But it does tend to be 1xn pieces, at least for me. That is 1x1 cheese clope, 1x1 headlight brick, 1x1 plate (tiles I haven't noticed, possibly because of the groove??), 1x4 arch (only two 1x1 areas are clutched), etc.

Very disappointing/frustrating, but it tends to happen more and more.

I'm sure they will replace your pieces for you. Hopefully it won't happen again for you. They've told me to check bricklink before and that they weren't going to send me pieces. I'm not sure on their stipulations.

I am constantly amazed by how many people haven't experienced broken pieces. I must have the worst luck in LEGO then. That first picture you posted is a common sight in my LEGO room. Even minifigures that aren't connected to anything will be cracked (new minifigures, such as Iron Man or Admiral Ackbar!). One would think it could be the plastic since not all of my pieces are cracked by clutch alone. Many times they are broken right out of the box. But it does tend to be 1xn pieces, at least for me. That is 1x1 cheese clope, 1x1 headlight brick, 1x1 plate (tiles I haven't noticed, possibly because of the groove??), 1x4 arch (only two 1x1 areas are clutched), etc.

Very disappointing/frustrating, but it tends to happen more and more.

I'm sure they will replace your pieces for you. Hopefully it won't happen again for you. They've told me to check bricklink before and that they weren't going to send me pieces. I'm not sure on their stipulations.

You and me both, I'm fed up of building LEGO only to look six months later to find parts broken. All my LEGO does is sit on a shelf and yet torsos, legs, arms, cheese slops, clips and every other brick develop cracks and brake. I can't imagine how long current LEGO must last in six year olds houses. It's even gotten to the stage where I'm thinking about the temperature of the room and the humidity of it, just to see whether that affects it.

Yikes. As a new convert to Lego, this topic is making me very nervous. I leave all of my sets assembled - don't want to find them breaking on their own...

I called Customer Service to tell them about this problem. They asked some information and if I could send them the broken parts for analysis. They just called back to have the box Id. It seems they are taking this seriously ! :-)

Thank you for your messages !

Edited by samlr

I called Customer Service to tell them about this problem. They asked some information and if I could send them the broken parts for analysis. They just called back to have the box Id. It seems they are taking this seriously ! :-)

Thank you for your messages !

What was that Box id number? For those who own a copy and want to check if they have the same batch. PM me if you feel uncomfortable sharing that number out

Edited by TanTile

The Id is 27S1. What information can you get from that ? It a batch Id right ?

Thank you. It will help determine whether my friend has the same batch or not, or has a later one and his clips could be from a different injection run. (possibly)