[pid][/pid] 162B

Ahoy!

It had been on my mind for some time to MODify the Black Pearl (because it was such a small and poorly fitted ship).

Now I have found the time - but probably the result needs to be discussed.

So here is the MOMOD (which is My Own MODification):

blackpearlmod2.jpg

Here we are facing the first challenge related to the Black Pearl: It is mostly black, at best dark grey and dark brown in a few parts.

This means: YOU DO NOT SEE ANYTHING ON THE PICTURES! :pir-look:

And it looks a lot like something the monster fighters might be after. Nothing more depressing than a combination of black and dark grey in the world of LEGO... :pir_wacko:

This is why I took the pictures outside - just to catch some rays of sun and make it look a bit better.

blackpearlmod4.jpg

Then you can see that I added a deck and four cannons (however, the standard red-painted wood is too lively for the Black Pearl...).

I changed the bow a bit:

blackpearlmod6.jpg

But then I basically stopped.

blackpearlmod3.jpg

It was great fun to MODify the "Queen Anne's Revenge". Unfortunately I am not really happy with the Black Pearl. :pir-sceptic:

May this serve as "warning" or "inspiration" for you to try something else :pir-grin:

Really like your modifications. Cannons much improved although I tend to agree about the red cannon bases. Definitely needed the additional deck.

pirate_satisfied.gif

I think the Pearl in the film is a nice looking ship. I think TLG model is lacking to start with and difficult to improve by building onto. if I was going to build the Pearl out of LEGO, I would only use TLG instructions as a jumping off point and design more in line with stills of the vessel in the film.

Your modifications are good and moving in the right direction. The overall curve you have in the top down shot is right - just compressed. The obvious thing that jumps out to me is that it is too short for the height you have now built it. It does need the lower gun deck and open mid ships gun deck to better resemble the film. I would add another middle boat plate piece to get more length aswell as hang the rear cabin over the stern baseplate by around 8 studs- this would give you another 16 studs to play with in the mid ships and more closely resemble this:

20111020200643!Black-pearl.jpg

Hi "TheLegoExpert",

yes the cannons are sort-of my design. Most likely inspired by some other guy's work.

I am experimenting with custom cannons every now and then. You'll see some in most of my ship models.

I'll try to take some pictures to post them.

[pid][/pid] 162B

Nothing more depressing than a combination of black and dark grey in the world of LEGO... :pir_wacko:

I find your lack of faith... disturbing :vader:

pirate_laugh2.gif

Seriously some nice modifications. I would tend to agree that there are limitations to what one can do with the BP set. Although many of the modifications you would have done with the QAR should be more or less valid for the BP? I mean at heart they are the same ship outside of paint and some detail dressing. (That's why we barely saw the BP in On Stranger Tides. The BP and the QAR sets are built on the same hull.)

Although many of the modifications you would have done with the QAR should be more or less valid for the BP?

I have modified the QAR and it turned out well.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=89866&hl=momod

Some cannon pics would be appreciated, thanks!

Ok, I took some.

kanonenmodelle3.jpg

This is one of the cannon's I've been using for recent ships.

Another one:

kanonenmodelle5.jpg

And - you may want to close your eyes now pirate_laugh2.gif - here is an attempt at some field cannons:

kanonenmodelle2.jpg

They were meant to be somewhat "Napoleonic" but they look like being taken from WWI and having been repainted... pirate_sceptic.gif

But the first two were the ones you were asking for.