JopieK

Kickstarter: ME Models Tracks for both metal and ABS only track pieces

@fred67 I did not realize that people haven't paid, I wasn't trying to complain I was mentioning that I wish I had backed them but now knowing some people can't even get their orders it may be a bad idea.

Thanks

-RailCo

Really? I'm a patient guy; I haven't complained or raised a stink about how they executed their project... but they are funding builds with capital they're making on sales now instead of on the money they got from the kickstarter project, which didn't adequately cover their costs. That's a huge mistake. They weren't planning on people not actually coming through with their payments. I feel bad for them, and I haven't been coming here to complain about the "pyramid" scheme they need to use in order to cover their backer's orders. I don't want to raise a huge fuss about it - I'd rather them continue what they're doing than go bankrupt and screw me out of my money entirely. I've ordered from them before (their last metal rails), I backed them this time, I also bought a variety of plastic rails after the fact to use for display; I sincerely hope they pull through this and become profitable, and that I get a chance to order more in the future.

But I backed them to the tune of over $130 for metal rails... they got my money last fall. I haven't gotten anything, and there's no telling that I'll even get anything by the end of this year. I shrug and wait, but it's really not cool.

Again, don't get me wrong - I'd rather have ME rails than not have ME rails, and I'm glad I could lend my support and that they actually got money from me as opposed to apparently a lot of people that reneged on their side of the deal - they have my sympathy - but in the future they should keep such things in mind.

You are correcet. I would rather have the rails than not have them but im starting to feel that i gave them my 225 usd.

I hope im wrong. After 30 days, paypal wont let you get your money back. So im stuck hoping. i want them to come through. I want them to win and be able to make a product that we can use.

I have sent emails, forum replys and posted questions on their web site. I would just like to know when to expect them.

Edited by lanesteele240

I'm sorry - I didn't think you were trying to complain, I just wanted to point out that, in retrospect, I'd rather have waited until I could order it from the website (like I did with plastic - because I already got those - shortly after ordering, in fact), because I have no doubt that when the parts are available they will be able to ship to backers and, shortly after, to new customers. That way my money wouldn't be in limbo for a year or more.

Edited by fred67

You buy nothing through kickstarter. Read the T.O.S., technically speaking you are making a donation to a company, and the company, in turn, offers incentives for higher donations, but you "ordered" nothing, nothing was "purchased."

That said, the fact that ME collected far below their goal means the project should not have gone through, and no rails made.

But ME did it anyway, spent or borrowed the difference, and that's awesome.

I have personally spoken with the ME guys on several occasions, and I can tell you the amount of frustration you feel about not getting the rails you wanted is no where near the frustration they feel over not being able to immediately provide them. I have faith they will make good on all of the track.

It is unfortunate it is taking this long, and I will criticize them for lapses in communication. But I think they're doing the best they can with the hand they were dealt.

I recommend anyone to contact them directly, rather than through forum posts.

--Tony

I understand that - as I said, I don't come here to complain about it because I know what's going on and I'd rather they just continue working on through it, but I wanted to respond to someone regretting not being a supporter... they simply aren't missing out on anything, and I'm sure that when they straighten out the metal problem (pun intended, if you've been reading about their problems), that they will have enough in their store that people will be readily able to buy it at the same time, or shortly after, the backers get theirs.

It has been a while since I last talked with the ME guys but I too would echo Tony's sentiments. We are quite fortunate to have ME take on this design on behalf of the community. I suspect they have day jobs, so all the more amazing that they have come this far. Based on their posts (mostly in this thread) my understanding that NONE of the metal rails have shipped and that they are still finalizing the design. Definitely send them an email if you have questions or concerns, I found them to be quite responsive. They may also be swamped at this point, so if you don't hear anything within a week, resend. As far as I can tell they are nice folk, with good intentions, just a little overloaded.

Meanwhile, I'm hoping they do another run of the R104 soon, those look like they have been sold out for a while.

I just looked back through the ME Models store, and I'm really excited! I'm not sure how responsive ME Models still is on here, but I have a few questions. Do you guys plan on selling through Amazon? I imagine that if you did, you'd be able to reach a larger demographic than through just the AFOL market on Eurobricks and Kickstarter, with the added safety net and reassurance of operating through a third party system like Amazon has in place. Second question: How long will it be before you plan to release locomotives and rolling stock? That's the #1 thing I'm excited for, besides the large radius curves and rails. I can't wait until I can individually buy cars and locomotives, without the expense of paying for a whole entire extra set like what Lego does. What sort of rolling stock and locomotives do you plan on releasing? Sorry, it's just that I'm so excited for a aftermarket to open up for custom Lego trains, without the expense and exclusivity of purchasing a MOC on bricklink.

I'm also patient, but I'm starting to run out of it. They have my money for over a year now, and I still haven't gotten anything. When asked, they would look into it, but that's been months ago as well. It doesn't feel right at all.

Kickass-starter....? I can imagine the disappointment..... Hope the ME guys get it right anyway....!!

I emailed them about a ABS track order from may 2 that have not shipped yet, and got a reply that they should get new supplies in tomorrow (friday), so with luck, tracks are on the way soon!

I got my track and i cant be happier. Very nice stuff. Im getting more. Just keep in mind that they are a small company( i did not know this).

The only thing i could add to the guys at me is to just give a expected delivery date and if it cant be reached, give a reason. Im sure everyone here will understand

Thanks! I was curious how well it fits together, given how strict the rail geometry is. I think I'll save up a bit and stock up on switches, straights, flex track, and ME Models curves and straights.

Could be a lot of factors... PayPal and credit chargebacks by people who thought they were ordering something immediately (didn't understand the process), PayPal and credit chargebacks by people who got tired of waiting. I don't know if you're allowed to pledge by check or money order, but perhaps there were some other forms of payment that didn't require an immediate payment and that people just didn't send.

Yes, it's annoying that people would do that. Of course, sometimes people financial situation changes through no fault of their own, too, but I don't think that accounts for more than a fraction of unfulfilled pledges.

While overall this is an incredibly complex project, a major problem is with the Kickstart program. Kickstart takes a commission on all pledges if the project is funded. In most cases not all pledges pay, unfortunately there are many who pledge just to "push" the project and never intended to pay the pledge. Kickstart still takes their bite of that pie. It was and is a serious problem for ME Models. While I am still mired in the world of 9 volt metal track, I found the ME ABS track to be compatible with the old track. I pledged thinking it was all metal, whoops!

I have talked with Mike several times and know that they are to trying to make this work. I am currently using loops of R 72, R 88 and R 104 in my 9 volt set up. The ABS ME Models track have been modified with .0015 SS Steel tape. The tape does not conduct as well as a nickel/copper alloy but does work. I'm using MRC Distributed DC power with heavy 8 wide trains.

So the only option we have is to wait and hope they make it work and we get metal L gauge track. One thing is certain, Lego will not be making R104 track anytime soon!

One thing is certain, Lego will not be making R104 track anytime soon!

And because of ME Models, Lego will be probably less likely to make R104 track now. Someone at Lego probably already said, "Let ME Models make the longer radii track".

I'm not saying this is so. This is just a guess.

Edited by splatman

As a side note, I wound up backing too much and the wrong size track for my setup, it was a guess way back in the day. I am currently running my R56, 72, and 88 track and LOVE IT.

I have an extra full loop (two packs) of NEW R104 (one pack was opened, but not used) I would like to recoup my costs on. If anybody is wanting some (currently sold out) R104 track please PM me. I would go $68 and I'd pay shipping.

And because of ME Models, Lego will be probably less likely to make R104 track now. Someone at Lego probably already said, "Let ME Models make the longer radii track".

I'm not saying this is so. This is just a guess.

Lego were never going to make R104 track anyway because there's no market for them.

Then again, thanks to Big Ben they now produce the large drivers...

Lego were never going to make R104 track anyway because there's no market for them.

Then again, thanks to Big Ben they now produce the large drivers...

Was that not Lego's go-to excuse to get people to stop asking them to produce stuff? At least, that's the impression I have got over the years.

I did not think of BBB wheels. After all, this discussion is about track, so that's why.

I'm actually surprised that they managed to sell out of the track, production issues aside, based on the hype from the Kickstarter alone. Especially since Trains isn't exactly one of the big sellers, and I'm guessing that people who regularly buy track are an even more limited subset of an already fairly limited market. It's one of those things that you'd only buy once or twice unless your layout is constantly expanding, unlike cheese slopes or tiles.